Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243445 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177640 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It's NOT that you don't have the time, you spend quite a lot of time posting here, it that you DON'T have the information. I've always known that you or anyone else could never define this soul thing, primarily because it is only something only imagined. There is no such thing as a soul,m if there was you would have no trouble defining it for us. What a lame ass excuse..."I don't have the time" What you don't have is any evidence for this ridiculous soul thing. You're not only a coward, you're completely full of shit. This puts you in the same boat with all of the Christians, they can't supply any evidence for their God thing. They can't define exactly what is is either, so your in good company. You both live in this childish little fantasy world full of magical events and mythical beings, you just added one more piece of bullshit, this soul thing. Too funny!!!!!
You are assuming a lot. Soul like many other things needs a point of reference, you are some what upset, disappointed and/or doubtful with me because I won't respond to you on this. I do honestly believe you when you claim you have no soul, and clearly no connection. clearly there is enough evidence for enough people in God and Soul to have you put so much time into talking about it. I can't think of anything I do not believe in that I discuss as often as you discuss this. I don't understand this not taking people's word for what they say. I consider it dishonest, I wouldn't address anyone if I was not going to believe how they answered me. That could be the strangest thing about you.

You are going to ask me to give you a 2-5 paragraph explanation on souls. Proof, identification etc. My answer is if you are really interested go buy a book. I lean more towards Buddhist or new Age than Christian, that is the section I recommend. EVEN IF, you were to do this a combination of your reading comprehension and your personal interest will cause you not to get it. I don't think you are even sharp on atheism. If I thought so I would just declare it a complete science of denying. I do give it more respect than that.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177641 Sep 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I have-- multiple times, I've proven **your** god is impossible in the current universe.
And you agree with me-- you must, as you cannot **refute** my proofs.
You don't even **try**-- you just act all Jesus and toss insults instead.
LOL!
You're not converting me, so by my standards you proved nothing. I do think my original statement is proven by you in all you post. "in order for Atheism to be proven, man has to know everything." In your case it is just that you believe you know everything. Stephen Hawkins himself nail the coffin, in that video I posted for you and your merry deniers. Your responses were not worthy of answering 1. "Hawkins did not say that." If that was true the video would not have been up for an hour. 2. No Heaven. I could agree with Mr Hawkins on that too. No Heaven does not mean no creator. You are just too caught up in this Christian all or nothing thing. Are you kidding yourself, it is clear you are too hate motivated to be honest about this topic. After the Stephen Hawkins video post normal people would concede. I didn't look for Michael Kaku, no I went in your house and took this one. Followed by Richard Dawkins. Your going on is just pure proof of you do think you know everything, as I said from the start.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177642 Sep 19, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have nothing there is no soul and god does not exist
For you, yes, and there is no way in the world I could argue against your claim one way or another. If you read up on the topic instead of attempt to badger people online, you'll see it is written, and by people with extremely high IQs, and education.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177643 Sep 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
It is good to know that you agree with the correct things at least. I don't know your belief, but it's good that we have common ground.
I'll leave you with this. The best scientific explanation is, Ufology. It is most likely an advanced race did create us. Just as now we could create animals. I don't all ways agree with them ,but very often I have to admit what they say is the most likely.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177644 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Bats are birds? Where? <quoted text> Why would you expect the ancients to conform to 21st century animal classifications unless you are just plain stupid? It seems you cannot figure out they had their own way of doing things. You would impose modern standards on an ancient text. There is no hope for folks like you.
Once again I am amazed that we Atheists know your holy book better that most Theists. You really have NEVER read your bible have you!!! If you had you would KNOW that Leviticus 11:13-19 clearly states that bats are birds.

For your information, since you seem completely ignorant to what is contained in your bible, Moses is supposed to have written the first book of Leviticus, and was lead by the holy spirit to write it. So I guess we can say that the holy spirit, whatever the hell that is, was completely ignorant as to what a bat really is. Too funny!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177645 Sep 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You are assuming a lot. Soul like many other things needs a point of reference, you are some what upset, disappointed and/or doubtful with me because I won't respond to you on this. I do honestly believe you when you claim you have no soul, and clearly no connection. clearly there is enough evidence for enough people in God and Soul to have you put so much time into talking about it. I can't think of anything I do not believe in that I discuss as often as you discuss this. I don't understand this not taking people's word for what they say. I consider it dishonest, I wouldn't address anyone if I was not going to believe how they answered me. That could be the strangest thing about you.
You are going to ask me to give you a 2-5 paragraph explanation on souls. Proof, identification etc. My answer is if you are really interested go buy a book. I lean more towards Buddhist or new Age than Christian, that is the section I recommend. EVEN IF, you were to do this a combination of your reading comprehension and your personal interest will cause you not to get it. I don't think you are even sharp on atheism. If I thought so I would just declare it a complete science of denying. I do give it more respect than that.
Yeah, just as I thought,, you got NOTHIN, only a feeble belief, a belief without support, and belief that is only imagined. There is no such thing as soul, you have just basically confirmed that for all of us. If there were such a thing as a soul you would have NO trouble defining it. You've failed miserably. How weak are you that you believe in something so strongly yet would even venture an explanation. File this under DELUSION, join the ranks of the millions of delusional Christians, you poor slob!!!!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#177646 Sep 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>You're not converting me, so by my standards you proved nothing. I do think my original statement is proven by you in all you post. "in order for Atheism to be proven, man has to know everything." In your case it is just that you believe you know everything. Stephen Hawkins himself nail the coffin, in that video I posted for you and your merry deniers. Your responses were not worthy of answering 1. "Hawkins did not say that." If that was true the video would not have been up for an hour. 2. No Heaven. I could agree with Mr Hawkins on that too. No Heaven does not mean no creator. You are just too caught up in this Christian all or nothing thing. Are you kidding yourself, it is clear you are too hate motivated to be honest about this topic. After the Stephen Hawkins video post normal people would concede. I didn't look for Michael Kaku, no I went in your house and took this one. Followed by Richard Dawkins. Your going on is just pure proof of you do think you know everything, as I said from the start.
In order for someone to be an atheist they simply have to not believe in a deity. How do you prove what someone believes? How could I prove to you that I do not believe in a deity in any other way other than me telling you that I don't?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#177647 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Once again I am amazed that we Atheists know your holy book better that most Theists.
You don't know shit. You probably referenced an atheist site. These are the ones who do your thinking for you. That means if you have a thought they give to you. That is how spiritual morons like you make it through life. At the other end of the leash of some overlord.
You really have NEVER read your bible have you!!! If you had you would KNOW that Leviticus 11:13-19 clearly states that bats are birds.
Not explicitly. It is in the same category. Birds do fly and so do bats. That might have had something to do with their classification. Don't ya think? Or do you think at all? HELLO>>>>>>A nybody Home!!!
For your information, since you seem completely ignorant to what is contained in your bible, Moses is supposed to have written the first book of Leviticus, and was lead by the holy spirit to write it. So I guess we can say that the holy spirit, whatever the hell that is, was completely ignorant as to what a bat really is. Too funny!!!
Your error is in assuming the writers had to follow 21st century classification of animals. Ignore the fact they did things for their own reasons. You strain out gnats to swallow camels. Its a minor point really. Lagooon there is no hope for you. You are doomed.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177648 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Based on what?
Based on reality.

If something is NOT INSIDE? It must be OUTSIDE.

If something is OUTSIDE? It cannot be inside.

Obviously, something could be both.

This is basic kindergarten stuff, here-- so I understand why you were so confused-- it was obviously over your head.

If your god is INSIDE the universe? He must obey it's rules-- or else the universe's rules are not, in fact, rules at all.

The rules prove beyond a doubt, that your god is impossible.

Unless you wish to invoke... magic?
lightbeamrider wrote:
Genesis 1:1
YOU DO! YOU INVOKE MAGIC!

LOL!

Too funny! YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177649 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> it says it from Genesis 1:1, Einstein. I explained all the rest of your post but you deleted it all in your response!
Magic. You believe in MAGIC!

LOL!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177650 Sep 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not converting me, so by my standards you proved nothing.
Of course! You lack the requisite mental skills, here: you believe in past life regression-- a scam that was debunked years ago.

Next!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177651 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You don't know shit. You probably referenced an atheist site. These are the ones who do your thinking for you. That means if you have a thought they give to you. That is how spiritual morons like you make it through life. At the other end of the leash of some overlord. <quoted text> Not explicitly. It is in the same category. Birds do fly and so do bats. That might have had something to do with their classification. Don't ya think? Or do you think at all? HELLO>>>>>>A nybody Home!!!
<quoted text> Your error is in assuming the writers had to follow 21st century classification of animals. Ignore the fact they did things for their own reasons. You strain out gnats to swallow camels. Its a minor point really. Lagooon there is no hope for you. You are doomed.
I own and read the bible just so as to reference all the immoralities and cruelties you Godbots say doesn't exist. In this case I used it to show how little you personally know about your own holy book, shocking really!!!

You want to use your bible as a science reference book for ridiculous points you try to make, but then fold when your book gets the science ALL WRONG.

Stop being purposely stupid, I told you who wrote Leviticus and where the information found in Leviticus comes from. So one again for the seriously brain dead....MOSES wrote the frost book of Leviticus and he was "Lead by the holy spirit" So it was NOT simple some 21st century writers that got the classification all wrong it was THE HOLY SPIRIT. Could this holy spirit be God? Is it possible that God who made everything, screwed up the classification of one of his ow creations? Yeah, I think thats exactly it, at least according to biblical scholars. Besides being completely worthless, the God you worship is also stupid.
christINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#177652 Sep 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll leave you with this. The best scientific explanation is, Ufology. It is most likely an advanced race did create us. Just as now we could create animals. I don't all ways agree with them ,but very often I have to admit what they say is the most likely.
its extremely unlikely,but even if they did,WHO created them?
christINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#177653 Sep 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll leave you with this. The best scientific explanation is, Ufology. It is most likely an advanced race did create us. Just as now we could create animals. I don't all ways agree with them ,but very often I have to admit what they say is the most likely.
You can create animals?

plz demonstrate that!
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#177654 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And the fact that Whales must bear their young live and underwater, and quickly push them to the surface before they drown is an example of a horrible design. As is the FACT that whales must live their entire life in an aquatic environment without the aid of gills is yet another example of a horrid design.
It works for them my good Doctor and it works very well.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#177655 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The bible clearly states that bats are birds. Are you saying the bible is NOT the word of God? That it was actually written by ancients?
You are comparing modern biological science with times before biology became an advanced study. Yes from our perspective today it is incorrect to classify bats as birds. But for the time period it was acceptable to call a bat a bird. In fact for thousands of years it was correctly classified.

The bible didn’t get it wrong for the time period. My good Doctor you have fooled no one with your cynicism. You are only elevating your bias.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177656 Sep 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are comparing modern biological science with times before biology became an advanced study. Yes from our perspective today it is incorrect to classify bats as birds. But for the time period it was acceptable to call a bat a bird. In fact for thousands of years it was correctly classified.
The bible didn’t get it wrong for the time period. My good Doctor you have fooled no one with your cynicism. You are only elevating your bias.
So the god of the bible was... stupid?

Okay. That's pretty clear.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#177657 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I own and read the bible just so as to reference all the immoralities and cruelties you Godbots say doesn't exist.
In a world without God you have no objective reference point to judge ancient cultures in far away places. Why was slavery objectively wrong for the ancients? Who are you to judge right and wrong for the ancients? Can you even determine historical context? You keep the Bible around to validate your prejudices. They are logical contradictions which exist in your head. You know next to nothing about the Bible and could not pass a basic biblical literacy test.
You want to use your bible as a science reference book
Are you making these accusations up out of thin air?
Stop being purposely stupid, I told you who wrote Leviticus and where the information found in Leviticus comes from. So one again for the seriously brain dead....MOSES wrote the frost book of Leviticus and he was "Lead by the holy spirit" So it was NOT simple some 21st century writers that got the classification all wrong it was THE HOLY SPIRIT. Could this holy spirit be God?
I get the gist of your argument. I just don't buy your conclusion. It simply means they classified things different for different reasons. The fact you will not accept this reasonable explanation only indicates your hopeless hostility, and unreasonable stubborness. Like i wrote it is a minor point made by hyper critics with a hostile agenda. It did not originate with you.
Is it possible that God who made everything, screwed up the classification of one of his ow creations? Yeah, I think thats exactly it, at least according to biblical scholars. Besides being completely worthless, the God you worship is also stupid.
God don't screw up people do. How can you be so anal? Don't you realize how dogmatic and anal you are? Insisting God screwed up in the bats and birds thing. Ignoring historical context. Don't you realize how foolish and stubborn you appear to reasonable people? I get tired of slapping folks like you around and you still don't learn anything. Useless as tits on a tomcat.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177658 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> In a world without God you have no objective reference point to judge ancient cultures in far away places. Why was slavery objectively wrong for the ancients?
We GET it: you are just FINE with slavery.

You are seriously immoral.

In fact?

I AM MORE MORAL THAN YOUR GOD IS:

For **I** would do anything in my power to prevent the rape of young girls.

YOUR GOD?

Demands that they must **marry** their rapist!

Uggg.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#177659 Sep 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
We GET it: you are just FINE with slavery.
Wrong again Quaalude Bob.
You are seriously immoral.
Agreed. Things are getting better.
I AM MORE MORAL THAN YOUR GOD IS:
For **I** would do anything in my power to prevent the rape of young girls.
That is a crock. Sell all you have and donate to some crisis shelter. That would be a start. Otherwise you are a liar. Rape is the result of man going his own way. Rape and abusive forms of slavery is abuse of power. Mistreatment of the poor is abuse of power. Not helping people who need it is neglect.
YOUR GOD?
Demands that they must **marry** their rapist!
Uggg.
Not all that uncommon in ancient cultures. It seems you cannot get past your 21st century presumptions and look at things dispassionately. Look at Esther. In many ways she despised her pagan King hubby. She became queen by replacing the former because she refused to pose naked to all his guests. A strip tease i suppose. Not unreasonable in our culture. In that culture it was next to an act of treason. This makes room for Esther to replace who had to forfeit her virginity to a vile pagan king. Here is her prayer.

''Prayer of Esther. 12b Queen Esther, seized with mortal anguish, fled to the Lord for refuge. 13Taking off her splendid garments, she put on garments of distress and mourning. In place of her precious ointments she covered her head with dung and ashes. She afflicted her body severely and in place of her festive adornments, her tangled hair covered her.

14Then she prayed to the Lord, the God of Israel, saying:“My Lord, you alone are our King. Help me, who am alone and have no help but you, 15for I am taking my life in my hand.c 16From birth, I have heard among my people that you, Lord, chose Israel from among all nations, and our ancestors from among all their forebears, as a lasting inheritance, and that you fulfilled all your promises to them.d 17But now we have sinned in your sight, and you have delivered us into the hands of our enemies, 18because we worshiped their gods. You are just, O Lord. 19But now they are not satisfied with our bitter servitude, but have sworn an oath to their idols 20to do away with the decree you have pronounced, to destroy your inheritance, to close the mouths of those who praise you, to extinguish the glory of your house and your altar, 21to open the mouths of the nations to acclaim their worthless gods, and to extol a mortal king forever.

22“Lord, do not relinquish your scepter to those who are nothing. Do not let our foes gloat over our ruin, but turn their own counsel against them and make an example of the one who began this against us. 23Be mindful of us, Lord. Make yourself known in the time of our distress and give me courage, King of gods and Ruler of every power. 24Put in my mouth persuasive words in the presence of the lion, and turn his heart to hatred for our enemy, so that he and his co-conspirators may perish. 25Save us by your power, and help me, who am alone and have no one but you, Lord.

26“You know all things. You know that I hate the pomp of the lawless, and abhor the bed of the uncircumcised or of any foreigner. 27You know that I am under constraint, that I abhor the sign of grandeur that rests on my head when I appear in public. I abhor it like a polluted rag, and do not wear it in private. 28I, your servant, have never eaten at the table of Haman, nor have I graced the banquet of the king or drunk the wine of libations.* 29From the day I was brought here till now, your servant has had no joy except in you, Lord, God of Abraham. 30O God, whose power is over all, hear the voice of those in despair. Save us from the power of the wicked, and deliver me from my fear.”

*[C:28] Wine of libations: offered in sacrifice to the gods.'' You just cannot seem to get over the fact the ancients were far different in practice than modern western culture.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min USAsince1680 1,251,942
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr Earthling-1 6,277
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... 7 hr GoGoGrandMaHillary 1,653
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... 20 hr Fartman 2
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat tom wingo 29,828
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul 2 Fartman 24
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 30 KeS 201,820
More from around the web