Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258044 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177623 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> God is outside the ''current'' universe. You can't even get the rudiments right. Right from Genesis 1:1 and you still can't figure it out. Good ole Quaalude Bob.
Boy this is simple, since your God is outside the "current universe" the neither you nor anyone else can know anything about him/she/it. The really sad part is you don't even realize how idiotic and completely unsupported this statement is.

You just shot yourself in the foot and don't even realize it. LOL
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#177624 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Based on what? You make up these rules as you go along. Genesis 1:1 presupposes God outside time space and matter and the rest presupposes God does act within time space and matter....
God is outside the universe and works inside the universe. Other religionists argue that 'God is everywhere','beyond understanding','all knowing','made in man's image','God is nature', etc, etc and this plonker dares to say it is non-believers who make-up the rules as we go along, lol!:-)
godchecker.com

There's no such thing as gods or pixies. Get over it.

I'll be glad when the 'good books'(i.e. holy books) are replaced with genuinely good books. I like Tom Sharpe's...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_ (novel)
but they're a bit dated now.

This is better than buybull bull or Quran crap..
http://www.amazon.com/From-Stars-To-Stalagmit...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177625 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Based on what? You make up these rules as you go along. Genesis 1:1 presupposes God outside time space and matter and the rest presupposes God does act within time space and matter. Dipsticks like yourself and by extension the moderns want to rule God out because he will not submit to your test tube. You have not disproved anything. If you want idiocy go look in the mirror, Quaalude Bob.
And the brothers Grimm presupposed that a troll lived under a bridge and would eat the billy goats as they crossed.

Genesis also claims the world is flat with a dome over it, and that bats are birds. And you're stupid enough to put stock in that?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#177626 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Boy this is simple, since your God is outside the "current universe" the neither you nor anyone else can know anything about him/she/it.
Why would you assume that? Do you know that for a fact? How? Based on what?
The really sad part is you don't even realize how idiotic and completely unsupported this statement is.
Yours is a faith based assumption which cannot be proven. You assume since God is outside time God is therefore incapable in intervening within time. God depicted is Omnipotent and Omniscient. So what God are you writing about? An impotent god not depicted in the Bible? You cannot get it right even in theory! How stupid is that?

Location hidden

#177627 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And the brothers Grimm presupposed that a troll lived under a bridge and would eat the billy goats as they crossed.
[QUOTE]Genesis also claims the world is flat
Only for an uneducated hostile ultra literalist.
with a dome over it,
More garbage. The English phrase is 'expanse' which means to beat out and spread out. Again you are doing the ultra literal thing which only indicates dullness. Lack of imagination.
and that bats are birds.
Well they both fly and are similar in form and function. I don't know why you would expect the ancients to conform to 21st century standards of animal classification unless you are incredibly and hopelessly stupid. Sometimes stupidity cannot be fixed.
And you're stupid enough to put stock in that?
I do and so did the Kings of Europe. I just do not see it all as you do nor does anybody else with half a brain who is not handicapped by hostility or jaundiced eyes.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#177628 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Why would you assume that? Do you know that for a fact?
Modern Christians say God exists outside of time and space. If something is outside of time and space, it does not exist in practical terms, as it is outside our natural existence.

Interestingly God was not always like this. He used to live "up there" on top of the sky dome. This is why Elijah/ Jesus/ Muhammed, take you pick :) went up there by celestial transports of various kinds.

Of course we know today this mythology is very silly, hence theologians clutching at straws have relocated heaven to a supernatural realm outside of space.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#177629 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider, Notice whenever someone talks about God, or a sports star scores a goal etc, they look "up there", or point up there. This is because heaven was believed to be physically located in the sky, along with sky-god, angels and the "saved". Now we know this is nonsense. Nothing exists up there except for the atmosphere and then outer space.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#177630 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Boy this is simple, since your God is outside the "current universe" the neither you nor anyone else can know anything about him/she/it. The really sad part is you don't even realize how idiotic and completely unsupported this statement is.
You just shot yourself in the foot and don't even realize it. LOL
Agreed. Nicely put.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#177631 Sep 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent I agree you have your situation and I have mine. Saves me a long post I planning on posting.
It is good to know that you agree with the correct things at least. I don't know your belief, but it's good that we have common ground.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177632 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Why would you assume that? Do you know that for a fact? How? Based on what? <quoted text> Yours is a faith based assumption which cannot be proven. You assume since God is outside time God is therefore incapable in intervening within time. God depicted is Omnipotent and Omniscient. So what God are you writing about? An impotent god not depicted in the Bible? You cannot get it right even in theory! How stupid is that?
I don't have to "asume" anything at all. Everything we know about is part of the universe. Everything that we have evidence for is part of the universe. It is impossible for us to know anything about something that is said to be *outside* of the universe. So I do "know for a fact" that anything that is said to be outside the universe has no information.

Mine view is NOT faith based, it's based on reason, logic, and total lack of evidence.

You are on extremely shaky ground trying to use the bible for any kind of support., bible that is full of scientific errors immoralities and, cruelties.

Location hidden

#177633 Sep 19, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Modern Christians say God exists outside of time and space.
it says it from Genesis 1:1, Einstein. I explained all the rest of your post but you deleted it all in your response!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#177634 Sep 19, 2013
Many mechanical devices have been inspired by examples in nature, but it's not often that nature replicates something only known to be made by human beings.
Meet Issus coeleoptratus, more commonly referred to as a "planthopper".

Though common throughout gardens in Great Britain, young planthoppers possess a physical trait that is spectacularly uncommon in nature: two honest-to-goodness gears on their hind legs, the only known functioning gear system of any organism.
In a paper published Sept. 13 in the UK journal, Science, zoologist, Malcolm Burrows, and mechanical engineer, Greg Sutton, revealed their findings about this singular insect.

The two spent 10 years studying the movements of jumping insects at the University of Cambridge in the UK. By flipping the insects on their backs and tickling them with a paintbrush, they were able to make them kick while taking pictures of them with a high-speed camera.
When it came to planthopper nymphs, the two scientists noted something fairly extraordinary: their hind legs could synchronize their movements in 30 millionths of a second. That's faster than a neuron can be fired off to the brain, meaning the planthopper's legs actually start jumping before its nervous system tells it to.

Closer examination of the insect revealed a small system of shark fin-like gears on the first segment of its hind legs (the equivalent of the top of a human thigh bone).
As one leg prepares to leap, the interlocking gear system causes the other leg to move in almost perfect concert with the other. This synchronicity allows the planthopper to propel itself faster and farther and in a straighter path. Burrows and Sutton believe that young planthoppers evolved this trait in order to escape dangerous situations with as much speed and force as possible. At such speeds, synchronizing leg movements is absolutely vital, as one wrong move could send the insect springing to the side instead of forward.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/09/a...

This example is problematic for all our Atheist friends. Mechanical gears on a insect as part of its design is a good example of Intelligent Design.

Location hidden

#177635 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have to "asume" anything at all.
You have all kinds of asinine assumptions. You must not assume you are a moron. Here is one of your assumptions.
Boy this is simple, since your God is outside the "current universe" the neither you nor anyone else can know anything about him/she/it
It is impossible for us to know anything about something that is said to be *outside* of the universe.
Only if you have your head stuck up your ass.
So I do "know for a fact" that anything that is said to be outside the universe has no information.
And you don't want to know.
Mine view is NOT faith based, it's based on reason, logic, and total lack of evidence.
It is a faith based assumption because it cannot be proven. The only thing you are good at is self flattery.
You are on extremely shaky ground trying to use the bible for any kind of support., bible that is full of scientific errors immoralities and, cruelties.
Your a moron who does not understand ancient literature. Do you even have a full time job? Its not in any Science field. Get a life!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177636 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You have all kinds of asinine assumptions. You must not assume you are a moron. Here is one of your assumptions.
<quoted text>
<quoted text> Only if you have your head stuck up your ass. <quoted text> And you don't want to know.
<quoted text> It is a faith based assumption because it cannot be proven. The only thing you are good at is self flattery.
<quoted text> Your a moron who does not understand ancient literature. Do you even have a full time job? Its not in any Science field. Get a life!
Here's how it works numbnuts, you have made a claim, you have made an assertion...."God is outside the universe" ALL POSITIVE CLAIMS have the burden of proof, see below: So I'll wait for your proof that God is outside the universe. Good luck wit that skippy!!!!

"When debating any issue, there is an implicit burden of proof on the person asserting a claim. If this responsibility or burden of proof is shifted to a critic, the fallacy of appealing to ignorance is committed"
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177637 Sep 19, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Only for an uneducated hostile ultra literalist. <quoted text> More garbage. The English phrase is 'expanse' which means to beat out and spread out. Again you are doing the ultra literal thing which only indicates dullness. Lack of imagination. <quoted text> Well they both fly and are similar in form and function. I don't know why you would expect the ancients to conform to 21st century standards of animal classification unless you are incredibly and hopelessly stupid. Sometimes stupidity cannot be fixed. <quoted text> I do and so did the Kings of Europe. I just do not see it all as you do nor does anybody else with half a brain who is not handicapped by hostility or jaundiced eyes.
The bible clearly states that bats are birds. Are you saying the bible is NOT the word of God? That it was actually written by ancients?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#177638 Sep 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Many mechanical devices have been inspired by examples in nature, but it's not often that nature replicates something only known to be made by human beings.
Meet Issus coeleoptratus, more commonly referred to as a "planthopper".
Though common throughout gardens in Great Britain, young planthoppers possess a physical trait that is spectacularly uncommon in nature: two honest-to-goodness gears on their hind legs, the only known functioning gear system of any organism.
In a paper published Sept. 13 in the UK journal, Science, zoologist, Malcolm Burrows, and mechanical engineer, Greg Sutton, revealed their findings about this singular insect.
The two spent 10 years studying the movements of jumping insects at the University of Cambridge in the UK. By flipping the insects on their backs and tickling them with a paintbrush, they were able to make them kick while taking pictures of them with a high-speed camera.
When it came to planthopper nymphs, the two scientists noted something fairly extraordinary: their hind legs could synchronize their movements in 30 millionths of a second. That's faster than a neuron can be fired off to the brain, meaning the planthopper's legs actually start jumping before its nervous system tells it to.
Closer examination of the insect revealed a small system of shark fin-like gears on the first segment of its hind legs (the equivalent of the top of a human thigh bone).
As one leg prepares to leap, the interlocking gear system causes the other leg to move in almost perfect concert with the other. This synchronicity allows the planthopper to propel itself faster and farther and in a straighter path. Burrows and Sutton believe that young planthoppers evolved this trait in order to escape dangerous situations with as much speed and force as possible. At such speeds, synchronizing leg movements is absolutely vital, as one wrong move could send the insect springing to the side instead of forward.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/09/a...
This example is problematic for all our Atheist friends. Mechanical gears on a insect as part of its design is a good example of Intelligent Design.
And the fact that Whales must bear their young live and underwater, and quickly push them to the surface before they drown is an example of a horrible design. As is the FACT that whales must live their entire life in an aquatic environment without the aid of gills is yet another example of a horrid design.

Location hidden

#177639 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The bible clearly states that bats are birds.
Bats are birds? Where?
Are you saying the bible is NOT the word of God? That it was actually written by ancients?
Why would you expect the ancients to conform to 21st century animal classifications unless you are just plain stupid? It seems you cannot figure out they had their own way of doing things. You would impose modern standards on an ancient text. There is no hope for folks like you.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177640 Sep 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It's NOT that you don't have the time, you spend quite a lot of time posting here, it that you DON'T have the information. I've always known that you or anyone else could never define this soul thing, primarily because it is only something only imagined. There is no such thing as a soul,m if there was you would have no trouble defining it for us. What a lame ass excuse..."I don't have the time" What you don't have is any evidence for this ridiculous soul thing. You're not only a coward, you're completely full of shit. This puts you in the same boat with all of the Christians, they can't supply any evidence for their God thing. They can't define exactly what is is either, so your in good company. You both live in this childish little fantasy world full of magical events and mythical beings, you just added one more piece of bullshit, this soul thing. Too funny!!!!!
You are assuming a lot. Soul like many other things needs a point of reference, you are some what upset, disappointed and/or doubtful with me because I won't respond to you on this. I do honestly believe you when you claim you have no soul, and clearly no connection. clearly there is enough evidence for enough people in God and Soul to have you put so much time into talking about it. I can't think of anything I do not believe in that I discuss as often as you discuss this. I don't understand this not taking people's word for what they say. I consider it dishonest, I wouldn't address anyone if I was not going to believe how they answered me. That could be the strangest thing about you.

You are going to ask me to give you a 2-5 paragraph explanation on souls. Proof, identification etc. My answer is if you are really interested go buy a book. I lean more towards Buddhist or new Age than Christian, that is the section I recommend. EVEN IF, you were to do this a combination of your reading comprehension and your personal interest will cause you not to get it. I don't think you are even sharp on atheism. If I thought so I would just declare it a complete science of denying. I do give it more respect than that.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177641 Sep 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I have-- multiple times, I've proven **your** god is impossible in the current universe.
And you agree with me-- you must, as you cannot **refute** my proofs.
You don't even **try**-- you just act all Jesus and toss insults instead.
LOL!
You're not converting me, so by my standards you proved nothing. I do think my original statement is proven by you in all you post. "in order for Atheism to be proven, man has to know everything." In your case it is just that you believe you know everything. Stephen Hawkins himself nail the coffin, in that video I posted for you and your merry deniers. Your responses were not worthy of answering 1. "Hawkins did not say that." If that was true the video would not have been up for an hour. 2. No Heaven. I could agree with Mr Hawkins on that too. No Heaven does not mean no creator. You are just too caught up in this Christian all or nothing thing. Are you kidding yourself, it is clear you are too hate motivated to be honest about this topic. After the Stephen Hawkins video post normal people would concede. I didn't look for Michael Kaku, no I went in your house and took this one. Followed by Richard Dawkins. Your going on is just pure proof of you do think you know everything, as I said from the start.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#177642 Sep 19, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have nothing there is no soul and god does not exist
For you, yes, and there is no way in the world I could argue against your claim one way or another. If you read up on the topic instead of attempt to badger people online, you'll see it is written, and by people with extremely high IQs, and education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min OzRitz 1,460,165
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min ThomasA 312,854
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 hr Pete_Carroll 32,616
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Wed Go Blue Forever 59
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Dec 5 Yin 17
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,371
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
More from around the web