Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
169,981 - 170,000 of 224,702 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing in the above? Constitutes an actual argument.
But there is plenty of belittling and name-calling.
Sad.
The reason there is no argument is because, there is no way you could prove your point. I am stunned you even try.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Nothing in the above? Constitutes an actual argument.
But there is plenty of belittling and name-calling.
Sad.
I do think it is constructive criticism. I am not sure if your reading comprehension could be saved. I think it all started because you take no one's word for anything. When your teachers corrected your book reports you thought it was due to political agendas or something along that line instead, of the teacher doing what his job was.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Do you know what a QUOTE MINE is?
No?
Google it-- using a **PARTIAL**QUOTE** of Stephen Hawkings is LYING.
It's what you do.
Hawking lying, that is just stupid. He puts a lot into what he does and deserves respect for it. He has called things against my beliefs and I don't go on as you are. It's silly.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Nope. Your lying video used QUOTE MINES.
But I see your name-calling continues.
And you? You did not win-- you lost, and badly.
That will be the day now you'll post something and it will out do Stephen Hawking. It's not just that you have bad reading comprehension, it's also you have no respect for the topic. You really need to read up on Religion's interest in science throughout history. You have no clue how stupid that comment was. And yes, I look stupid for continuing on with someone that would say such a thing.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The portion of the universe *we can see today*. There is more to the universe than what we can see today. The region we can see today was millimeters across at that point. The whole universe was larger.
There was no leading edge because every place in the universe looks the same at any given time. This is fundamental in the model.
Let's make this simple. Let's say everything that formed our visible universe was in a sphere 10 mm in diameter.

Then Poof!!!! or less, let's say it expanded to fill this solar system.

How did the surface of that sphere get out to past Pluto? Let's say the interior surface, because that is what we would see looking outward.

The BBT says space was created with that expansion. We are back to the volume thing again, which is a most important component of our reality.

You know I have a different idea of what this existence is, but I would like you to explain that in the physical sense based upon the physics we accept as physical and built a model of the BBT on.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Your video? Was a flat lie-- by using a short snippet, it LIED.
That is what you are doing above-- you are LYING.
It's what you do best.
Good luck finding that missing link. When you do I'll congratulate. It will be cool, you'll bark "I showed you Robert Stevens". Bob really that's not happening. Why you guys go with that stupid theory is beyond me, but happy hunting. BTW, before you start check out your feet, and the monkey's feet. It may be a good idea to invest your time and cash in another endeavor. just saying.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Indeed-- you **are** left behind.
Your lying video uses quote-mines to LIE.
It's a classic True Believer™ lying technique.
really do think the atheist I use to talk to would ask you, and two other atheist that have been posting, to please shut up. The idea you could prove "no" existence of God. Most atheist would make no effort at all. Those are the wiser ones.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason there is no argument is because, there is no way you could prove your point. I am stunned you even try.
I proved-- to as high as you like-- that your view of god is simply impossible in our universe.

You didn't try, because you cannot.

You **literally** have **nothing** to contribute, here.

Apart from your constant name-calling and attempts to put people down.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think it is constructive criticism. I am not sure if your reading comprehension could be saved. I think it all started because you take no one's word for anything. When your teachers corrected your book reports you thought it was due to political agendas or something along that line instead, of the teacher doing what his job was.
More put-downs. More belittling.

No arguments of any kind.

It's all you do.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Hawking lying, that is just stupid.
You don't read-- do you?

You actually DO NOT READ what was written.

I said your video was a QUOTE MINE:

It **made** Stephen Hawking **appear** to lie-- when he wasn't.

But by using a PARTIAL QUOTE? Your lying video made him **SEEM** to say what he NEVER ACTUALLY SAID.

Lies.

It's what you do.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
That will be the day now you'll post something and it will out do Stephen Hawking. It's not just that you have bad reading comprehension, it's also you have no respect for the topic. You really need to read up on Religion's interest in science throughout history. You have no clue how stupid that comment was. And yes, I look stupid for continuing on with someone that would say such a thing.
Google QUOTE MINE.

Maybe you'll understand.... doubtful, but maybe you will.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck finding that missing link. When you do I'll congratulate. It will be cool, you'll bark "I showed you Robert Stevens". Bob really that's not happening. Why you guys go with that stupid theory is beyond me, but happy hunting. BTW, before you start check out your feet, and the monkey's feet. It may be a good idea to invest your time and cash in another endeavor. just saying.
What on EARTH? You really don't know how to follow the conversation, do you?

In any case? Proof of evolution: http://www.talkorigins.org/

Get back to me, after you have READ THE ENTIRE WEBSITE.

Maybe THEN?

YOU WILL HAVE AN ACTUAL ARGUMENT TO GIVE.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
really do think the atheist I use to talk to would ask you, and two other atheist that have been posting, to please shut up. The idea you could prove "no" existence of God. Most atheist would make no effort at all. Those are the wiser ones.
You are lying.

I said that I can prove **certain** classes of god myth.

And the ones that are left? Nobody worships anyhow, so they are unimportant.

There is a real difference between what **I** said, and the LIES YOU SAY ABOVE.

But you are likely incapable of the subtleties needed to tell the difference.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
really do think the atheist I use to talk to would ask you, and two other atheist that have been posting, to please shut up.
Never in my 6+ years of posting on Topix, has an **atheist** told me to shut up, for proving you True Believers™ wrong.

Never.

I **have** had many mindless god-robots (such as yourself) try to command me into silence.

It doesn't work, though-- mindless god-robots have no power.

*EXACTLY* like the myth-gods you worship!

<laughing>
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Science flies you the Moon.
religion flies you into buildings.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
You don't read-- do you?
You actually DO NOT READ what was written.
I said your video was a QUOTE MINE:
It **made** Stephen Hawking **appear** to lie-- when he wasn't.
But by using a PARTIAL QUOTE? Your lying video made him **SEEM** to say what he NEVER ACTUALLY SAID.
Lies.
It's what you do.
I never posted what Hawking said, I posted a video of his quotes. You really do need help.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Have you got a text version?
I don't click on videos from those I don't trust.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I never posted what Hawking said, I posted a video of his quotes. You really do need help.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree he is, even though he side steps the question. That is what makes that video a slam dunk. The Hawking debate will all ways be there, was he an atheist, or was he keeping his sponsors happy? I off course will take the man for his word.
The video is NOT a slam dunk becaus eit completely misunderstands what Hawking is saying. NONE of the argument in the video is true to the physics. In every apsect relevant to the physics, it makes fundamental errors, as I described in a previous post.

What 'sponsors' do you think Hawking has that would make him claim atheism? He most definitely does NOT side step the question. In fact, he has been very clear about his atheism and the fact that no deity is required to understand how the universe came to be.
The debate on Christian creationism vs Atheism and God and evolution vs Atheism is two different animals. The bloggers here are left behind.
First, the debate isn't between Creationism and Atheism, it is between Creationism and Science. And Creationism lost over 150 years ago. Evolution did happen. The universe is NOT 10,000 years old. It is about 13.7 billion years old and the Earth is about 1/3 of that age.

Atheism is a separate thing, I agree. But the default position when evidence is lacking is lack of belief, which is atheism. Until there is positive evidence for theism, atheism wins by default.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The video is NOT a slam dunk becaus eit completely misunderstands what Hawking is saying. NONE of the argument in the video is true to the physics. In every apsect relevant to the physics, it makes fundamental errors, as I described in a previous post.
What 'sponsors' do you think Hawking has that would make him claim atheism? He most definitely does NOT side step the question. In fact, he has been very clear about his atheism and the fact that no deity is required to understand how the universe came to be.
<quoted text>
First, the debate isn't between Creationism and Atheism, it is between Creationism and Science. And Creationism lost over 150 years ago. Evolution did happen. The universe is NOT 10,000 years old. It is about 13.7 billion years old and the Earth is about 1/3 of that age.
Atheism is a separate thing, I agree. But the default position when evidence is lacking is lack of belief, which is atheism. Until there is positive evidence for theism, atheism wins by default.
Every well said, but it will not be heard.

Understanding that not everything revolves around a religious belief beyond their understanding.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
It clearly says energy exist before The Universe.
The *video* said this, not Hawking.
Energy being God.
That is the claim the video makes, but it is also wrong.
Don't confuse this with when Hawking and others say there was no human form, that Christians worship as God. Even after making such a statement. That can not be proven wrong. I continue to tell you I am not Christian, however I can't tell Christians I can prove they are wrong about God. Some of the details of wiser atheist than the ones that post here, I do agree with. They attack details of the scripture. In some cases it is misunderstanding. With in the scripture itself is warning of false prophets. There really are good people out there that do break down and analyze the writings. I think what you have here is a "I can deny anything and everything cult."
Your proposed the video in support of the existence of a deity. That video makes very basic mistakes at several points, including quotes of Hawking making him seem to take positions he does not, in fact, take. In particular, it gets the law of conservation of energy wrong by ignoring the time factor. It fails to understand that time began at the same point as the universe, so there was no 'before the Big Bang'. It lies by making it seem that Hawking would agree to this, when he does not. It also seems not to realize that the energy 'transfer' it talks about would violate the very laws of physics it claims to argue from.

In other words, the video gets essentially every point wrong. And then it tops it off by claiming anyone who disagrees is simply being stubborn. What arrogance!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••