Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244790 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177231 Sep 12, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
really do think the atheist I use to talk to would ask you, and two other atheist that have been posting, to please shut up. The idea you could prove "no" existence of God. Most atheist would make no effort at all. Those are the wiser ones.
You are lying.

I said that I can prove **certain** classes of god myth.

And the ones that are left? Nobody worships anyhow, so they are unimportant.

There is a real difference between what **I** said, and the LIES YOU SAY ABOVE.

But you are likely incapable of the subtleties needed to tell the difference.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177232 Sep 12, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
really do think the atheist I use to talk to would ask you, and two other atheist that have been posting, to please shut up.
Never in my 6+ years of posting on Topix, has an **atheist** told me to shut up, for proving you True Believers™ wrong.

Never.

I **have** had many mindless god-robots (such as yourself) try to command me into silence.

It doesn't work, though-- mindless god-robots have no power.

*EXACTLY* like the myth-gods you worship!

<laughing>
Thinking

UK

#177233 Sep 12, 2013
Science flies you the Moon.
religion flies you into buildings.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
That will be the day now you'll post something and it will out do Stephen Hawking. It's not just that you have bad reading comprehension, it's also you have no respect for the topic. You really need to read up on Religion's interest in science throughout history. You have no clue how stupid that comment was. And yes, I look stupid for continuing on with someone that would say such a thing.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#177234 Sep 12, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't read-- do you?
You actually DO NOT READ what was written.
I said your video was a QUOTE MINE:
It **made** Stephen Hawking **appear** to lie-- when he wasn't.
But by using a PARTIAL QUOTE? Your lying video made him **SEEM** to say what he NEVER ACTUALLY SAID.
Lies.
It's what you do.
I never posted what Hawking said, I posted a video of his quotes. You really do need help.
Thinking

UK

#177235 Sep 12, 2013
Have you got a text version?
I don't click on videos from those I don't trust.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I never posted what Hawking said, I posted a video of his quotes. You really do need help.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#177236 Sep 12, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree he is, even though he side steps the question. That is what makes that video a slam dunk. The Hawking debate will all ways be there, was he an atheist, or was he keeping his sponsors happy? I off course will take the man for his word.
The video is NOT a slam dunk becaus eit completely misunderstands what Hawking is saying. NONE of the argument in the video is true to the physics. In every apsect relevant to the physics, it makes fundamental errors, as I described in a previous post.

What 'sponsors' do you think Hawking has that would make him claim atheism? He most definitely does NOT side step the question. In fact, he has been very clear about his atheism and the fact that no deity is required to understand how the universe came to be.
The debate on Christian creationism vs Atheism and God and evolution vs Atheism is two different animals. The bloggers here are left behind.
First, the debate isn't between Creationism and Atheism, it is between Creationism and Science. And Creationism lost over 150 years ago. Evolution did happen. The universe is NOT 10,000 years old. It is about 13.7 billion years old and the Earth is about 1/3 of that age.

Atheism is a separate thing, I agree. But the default position when evidence is lacking is lack of belief, which is atheism. Until there is positive evidence for theism, atheism wins by default.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#177237 Sep 12, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The video is NOT a slam dunk becaus eit completely misunderstands what Hawking is saying. NONE of the argument in the video is true to the physics. In every apsect relevant to the physics, it makes fundamental errors, as I described in a previous post.
What 'sponsors' do you think Hawking has that would make him claim atheism? He most definitely does NOT side step the question. In fact, he has been very clear about his atheism and the fact that no deity is required to understand how the universe came to be.
<quoted text>
First, the debate isn't between Creationism and Atheism, it is between Creationism and Science. And Creationism lost over 150 years ago. Evolution did happen. The universe is NOT 10,000 years old. It is about 13.7 billion years old and the Earth is about 1/3 of that age.
Atheism is a separate thing, I agree. But the default position when evidence is lacking is lack of belief, which is atheism. Until there is positive evidence for theism, atheism wins by default.
Every well said, but it will not be heard.

Understanding that not everything revolves around a religious belief beyond their understanding.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#177238 Sep 12, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
It clearly says energy exist before The Universe.
The *video* said this, not Hawking.
Energy being God.
That is the claim the video makes, but it is also wrong.
Don't confuse this with when Hawking and others say there was no human form, that Christians worship as God. Even after making such a statement. That can not be proven wrong. I continue to tell you I am not Christian, however I can't tell Christians I can prove they are wrong about God. Some of the details of wiser atheist than the ones that post here, I do agree with. They attack details of the scripture. In some cases it is misunderstanding. With in the scripture itself is warning of false prophets. There really are good people out there that do break down and analyze the writings. I think what you have here is a "I can deny anything and everything cult."
Your proposed the video in support of the existence of a deity. That video makes very basic mistakes at several points, including quotes of Hawking making him seem to take positions he does not, in fact, take. In particular, it gets the law of conservation of energy wrong by ignoring the time factor. It fails to understand that time began at the same point as the universe, so there was no 'before the Big Bang'. It lies by making it seem that Hawking would agree to this, when he does not. It also seems not to realize that the energy 'transfer' it talks about would violate the very laws of physics it claims to argue from.

In other words, the video gets essentially every point wrong. And then it tops it off by claiming anyone who disagrees is simply being stubborn. What arrogance!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#177239 Sep 12, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
The video had *one* quote from hawking saying that the universe had a beginning. Nothing else in the video is from Hawking.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177240 Sep 12, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
And I said the video was LYING.

I **also** said that the video twisted Hawking's words into a lie.

I never said Hawking lied-- that was YOU, LYING.

It's what you do.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#177244 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists fail the test every time.
I'm curious as to what test you people are speaking of.

Location hidden

#177245 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>What an anonymous coward you are.

If you had to reveal your name and whereabouts before posting, you would have not a single word to say on this forum ever again, you worm-infested anal dropping.
Lol... What's your real name again? You wouldn't dare say another word if your little church buddies could see your hateful attitude in here.

Location hidden

#177246 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:

If you had to reveal your name and whereabouts before posting, you would have not a single word to say on this forum ever again, you worm-infested anal dropping.
That's assuming that you even have buddies off of here.

Location hidden

#177247 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:

You and LCNLin seem to have some sort of romance going on...do you know each other in real life?

Location hidden

#177249 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
Three responses to the same post. You are fixated on me. That's because you know I'm right and you can't refute Christianity.
Lol...I bet you wish this song was about you don't you ;-). It's much easier to use the closest post to reply to if you would like to say something else...I know you wish you were that important though ;-) I don't have to refute it...it does that all on its own.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177250 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
What an anonymous coward you are.
Says the hate-filled bigot who posts from an UNREGISTERED account!

LOL!
every game wrote:
If you had to reveal your name and whereabouts before posting,

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177251 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
I never really knew how hateful atheists are until observing your posts, your cowardly actions, and childish behavior.

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177252 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
... you worm-infested anal dropping.
Are these the words of your Jesus?

I searched your bible, and they did not show up.

Where did you learn such hate? Sunday School?

Or was it when Father Flannigan took you into the back room to "show you the holy ghost"?

Did it hurt? That "holy ghost"?

***Something** has made you full of hate like this...

I wonder what it was...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177253 Sep 12, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
I never really knew how hateful atheists are until observing your posts, your cowardly actions, and childish behavior.

LOL!

Sadly? Your hate-filled ugly is all too **common** among Genuine Christians™....

... all too common...

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#177254 Sep 12, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you have a speech impediment.
<quoted text>
That would be your lispy, wussy idol, Dawkins.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Doomstar 1,262,834
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 34 min Earthling-1 6,464
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr tom wingo 29,850
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr STO 310,327
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 17 hr RiccardoFire 201,854
News San Diego State basketball: Four-star prospect ... Jul 25 Fart news 2
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... Jul 25 xxxrayted 1,714
More from around the web