Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#176953 Sep 9, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
Saying "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" is as valid as saying "Taking a shit takes as much imagination as believing Mr. Hanky is real."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =5qhDyM-knNsXX
Belief in Mr Hanky is no more ridiculous than belief in a magical sky-fairy who grants wishes (prayers)....

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#176954 Sep 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh looky! My stalker is back from rehab!
Wasn't talking TO you, crybaby hypocrite.

Now try to mind your own crybaby business.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#176956 Sep 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Belief in Mr Hanky is no more ridiculous than belief in a magical sky-fairy who grants wishes (prayers)....
Mr. Hanky is MORE believable.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#176957 Sep 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't talking TO you, crybaby hypocrite.
Do you spit or swallow when servicing Satan ?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#176958 Sep 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't talking TO you, crybaby hypocrite.
Was it something I said?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#176959 Sep 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And...one more...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-130...
...for those NOT well read.
Idjit.
I'm not sure I know were to start with this moronic article. He spews the same tired old bullshit as he tries to trash one of the smartest men on the planet. It all boils down to his preconceived notion that some agent is responsible for the creation of the universe. To begin any discourse with a predetermined claim is totally pointless. He criticizes Hawking for speculating that there are life forms on other planets because he has no evidence. This for a person who believes an invisible sky daddy created all there is WITHOUT any evidence, a total hypocrite. One of his "proofs" is that God revealed himself through Jesus Christ, a figure that many doubt ever existence. he continues with a universe that appears to have been designed. Designed for what or whom, certainly not humans. Inhospitable to human life, flooded with radiation, distances so vast they are unmeasurable, suns exploding and wiping out entire solar systems, galaxies colliding and destroying each other, back hole swallowing entire star systems, some design. As it is we live here on Earth on climatic knife edge, much of it to hot or cold without protection. There is NOWHERE outside of earth that mankind can survive, so it appears there was no design.

Stephen Hawking "Does the universe need a grand designer, the cosmic laws such as gravity. the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason that there is something rather than nothing, that is why the universe exists and we exist, It is not necessary to evoke a God tom light a match and set the universe going."

And then is does in the end come down to.....how created the creator? Special pleading usually rears its ugly head about this time.

The article is written by a Theists who already has a preconceived notion, it's not a very honest or intelligent way to try and refute someones ideas. Giant FAIL!!!!!

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#176960 Sep 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears you had a good rest and are all charged up to get back on here to do battle with the forces of deliberate ignorance that refuse to see things your way.
How about a cuddle, cutie?
I would not exactly call it a rest but it was good thanks. Spent a few days studying a 55,000 years old Neanderthal grave site. Yet there are good funnymentalist christians out there who tell me that my memories, my notes and my photographs of what I have just done are impossible Ė go figure.

Sorry, was that a bit of projection showing there? Iím sure it was, after all itís not the atheists who claim atheism is a religion is it? Nope thatís the reglutards who have difficulty understanding anything different from their view. I have no problem with that faith or deliberately imposed ignorance of such reglutards, but I do have a problem with them using that deliberate ignorance to tell me what I believe in when they really have not got a clue.

I donít suppose you can really help your chauvinistic lust can you?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#176961 Sep 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your posts have all the focus and content of a severe diarrhea emission.
You toot your horn the same way, I am sure.
The scientific method has been around as long as man. So have hucksters since the beginning of civilization. And their suckers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UTBvw-orhmgXX
98% of the population would prefer listening to that than your "stuff".
Lolol....<the Dave's> true colors always come shining through.

Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#176962 Sep 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good!
Maybe you are starting to understand.
Now go back and read where I said you went wrong.
Then look up theory and belief. Theory is a belief, or sure slanted that way. They both require a faith in the accuracy of one's thought logic.
Now, look at the topic of this thread.
Are you an atheist or an agnostic now?
Theory requires observation or defining principal to define the theory

Belief is opinion that requires nothing more than trust.

Look up the definitions and try and make an educated decision as to whether theory is belief

Here are the referance.com dictionary definitions just in case you find it too difficult to do a google search

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theory

the∑o∑ry
[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural the∑o∑ries.
1.a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.
2.a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. Synonyms: idea, notion hypothesis, postulate. Antonyms: practice, verification, corroboration, substantiation.
3.Mathematics . a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4.the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
5.a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles: conflicting theories of how children best learn to read.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/belief
be∑lief
[bih-leef] Show IPA
noun
1.something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
2.confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
3.confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
4.a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#176963 Sep 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse poop.
1.) ATHEIST.........someone who does NOT believe in God.
"due to the lack of evidence " you will not find in any authoritative definition. That is something you added. Part of your fantasy of intellectualism and of the fad cult of neo-atheists.
That is a phrase that can be ascribed to an agnostic, but not an atheist.
You idiot - when you're able to prove creationist isn't a mental illness you suffer from, your stupidity might matter more.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#176964 Sep 10, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And...one more...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-130...
...for those NOT well read.
Idjit.
Like this quote.
''What Hawking appears to have done is to confuse law with agency. His call on us to choose between God and physics is a bit like someone demanding that we choose between aeronautical engineer Sir Frank Whittle and the laws of physics to explain the jet engine''

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#176965 Sep 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No Atheists HATE God, they hate the IDEA of God, they HATE the concept of religion. I hate the philosophy connected to God and religion like I hate the philosophy connected to the KKK, or any other hate groups.
Atheists don't hate, Theists hate. Atheists don't wish anyone condemned to eternal suffering for not believing as they do, this is what Theists do.
You can HATE a principal, an ideology, a mindset. I am convinced that no such entity as God exists, so it would be ridiculous for me to hate a non-existing thing. The IDEA of the God of the bible is what I hate. I hate what unsupported beliefs do to people. That a person whom I have never met, would wish me an eternity of suffering simply because I don't believe as they do, is what I hate. The fact that good honest and decent people feel they are no more than miserable sinners and must repent over the course of their lives is what I hate. But what I hate more, is that they infect their children with this horrid mindset. I hate that intelligent people feel their lives are totally worthless without the prospect of an after-life, and worse, claim without reservation, that anyone who does NOT ascribe to this, that their lives are also worthless and have no meaning.
Religion is what I HATE, not a fictitious God thing, I HATE what it does to people.
I accuse you of taking the misrepresentation as the norm. Your blanket of all, serves as a scapegoat for the few. Your hatred blocks out your common sense. If you look in an honest way, you would see Atheism has the same history of rouges doing wrong. What atheism in government fails to do as proven in The USSR and China is control their misguided populist and become overbearing in their opinion as you post shows is possible amongst the Western sort of Atheist. I understand in England your movement is going strong. This is explainable, with what is a very sad truth. Historically as shown in their literature it is in The English DNA to be oppressed. This is why they welcome Atheism.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176966 Sep 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>None of the 5 apply to Atheism.
1.) THEIST..........someone who believed in God
1.) ATHEIST.........someone who due to the lack of evidence does NOT believe in God.
Thats it skippy, you can try as hard as you can to make Atheism more than this, but this is all it is. A LACK of belief in a superhuman controlling power due to lack of verifiable information.
But do continue to look stupid, I do enjoy watching you and other make complete fools out of yourselves.
Your reading comprehension is failing you. It is clear all 5 define Atheist. American Atheist now do form to press on political opinion and they meat at churches. If you have issues with Atheist being a religion don't bicker with me, start your movement to end their church. Your aimless babble here does not change a thing. The United States Government recognizes Atheism as a religion and churches have been erected, and people have filled the seats, therefore Atheism is a religion case closed. You could convince me and the 4-10 people that are posting on this tread otherwise, but we are not the bearers of this torch.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#176967 Sep 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
... I understand in England your movement is going strong....
You misunderstand.
What is happening is that religion is declining in the face of education and science. Religions are being seen for what they are - nonsense.
http://www.godchecker.com/

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176969 Sep 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Clearly you did not like being called a moron-- or you wouldn't have mentioned it.
LOL!
You can dish it out--but you cannot take it.
Classic.
Again your reading comprehension fails you. Preceding calling me a moron with what is the most idiotic statement I have ever read, "religions have no interest in science". I was trying to be nice. I know it did not seem that way. I think had you posted that years ago, the atheist bloggers at Delphi Forum or youtube, would have requested your silence. The statement is stupid, but for a Western Atheist to post that. It is like having your 8 year old, grade school attending child come home, and find out he does not recognize the "ABCs" he does not know alpha bet. You really have no business discussing this topic at all. If you were wise you'd move on into something more cheerful.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#176970 Sep 10, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not exactly call it a rest but it was good thanks. Spent a few days studying a 55,000 years old Neanderthal grave site. Yet there are good funnymentalist christians out there who tell me that my memories, my notes and my photographs of what I have just done are impossible Ė go figure.
Sorry, was that a bit of projection showing there? Iím sure it was, after all itís not the atheists who claim atheism is a religion is it? Nope thatís the reglutards who have difficulty understanding anything different from their view. I have no problem with that faith or deliberately imposed ignorance of such reglutards, but I do have a problem with them using that deliberate ignorance to tell me what I believe in when they really have not got a clue.
I donít suppose you can really help your chauvinistic lust can you?
It's a human weakness, lovey. Goes back to our primate days.

You keep showing that ass and I get aroused.

So what did you manage to reconstruct in your mind about those long dead Neanderthals? How they thought, how they talked?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176971 Sep 10, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>You misunderstand.
What is happening is that religion is declining in the face of education and science. Religions are being seen for what they are - nonsense.
http://www.godchecker.com/
I admit perhaps it is unfair of me to compare a English movement with The American Atheist movement. Because you are from England and would be closer to this information than I am, I have to concede your point. At times when watch Mr Richard Dawkins, I assume that the English version mirrors our version, or even we are a cheaper copy. The American version is to step into the role of religious influence. I would rank them in the top 5. Prior to The Tea party forming they did have a long run as being the most hated group by American society. This was in accordance to Time Magazine. When the Tea Party s dead, the Atheist will still be going. These two groups rival and combine. American politics/religion is entertaining, and in my opinion a fault.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#176972 Sep 10, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Theory requires observation or defining principal to define the theory
Belief is opinion that requires nothing more than trust.
Look up the definitions and try and make an educated decision as to whether theory is belief
Here are the referance.com dictionary definitions just in case you find it too difficult to do a google search
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theory
the∑o∑ry
[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural the∑o∑ries.
1.a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.
2.a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. Synonyms: idea, notion hypothesis, postulate. Antonyms: practice, verification, corroboration, substantiation.
3.Mathematics . a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4.the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
5.a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles: conflicting theories of how children best learn to read.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/belief
be∑lief
[bih-leef] Show IPA
noun
1.something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
2.confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
3.confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
4.a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.
For the life of you, you can't see where those require faith in your assumptions of what is correct? It is written right in the definitions.

Topix atheists seem to have this mental block about what faith is. A kneejerk random neuron firing episode.

If one PhD doesn't have faith in the data collection and interpretation methodology of another PhD in his field, does that make him an atheist? If he does, does it make him one of your religitards?

You have raw nerves interfering with your objectivity, love.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176973 Sep 10, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
Until proven otherwise. The UK conversation about this and The united States conversation, are two different topics. Unless someone could prove to me that The UK does have active, well supported activist, and churches for Atheism. The same would be true if Scottish Mormons walked in on a conversation about The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints. The topic is interesting, but perhaps not worthy of people's precious time.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#176974 Sep 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit perhaps it is unfair of me to compare a English movement with The American Atheist movement (blah, blah)....
No. You just misunderstand what's happening.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 10 min Earthling-1 1,109
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 36 min woodtick57 1,115,130
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 27,589
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr cpeter1313 305,849
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 4 hr PieceMaker 342
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) 17 hr Carol 280
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon El SupremoS 201,038

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE