Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255504 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176941 Sep 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse poop.
1.) ATHEIST.........someone who does NOT believe in God.
"due to the lack of evidence " you will not find in any authoritative definition. That is something you added. Part of your fantasy of intellectualism and of the fad cult of neo-atheists.
That is a phrase that can be ascribed to an agnostic, but not an atheist.
atheism |&#712;&#257;&#952 ;&#275;&#716;iz&#6 01;m|
noun
the theory or belief that God does not exist.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176942 Sep 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse poop.
"due to the lack of evidence " you will not find in any authoritative definition. That is something you added. Part of your fantasy of intellectualism and of the fad cult of neo-atheists.
Unlike Theists who make their claim for existence simply because "It feels good" Atheist give very valid reasons why they have a LACK OF BELIEF, most usually because of LACK OF EVIDENCE.".....Glad I could clear up your confusion.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#176943 Sep 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
atheism |&#712;&#257;&#952 ;&#275;&#716;iz&#6 01;m|
noun
the theory or belief that God does not exist.
Very good!

Maybe you are starting to understand.

Now go back and read where I said you went wrong.

Then look up theory and belief. Theory is a belief, or sure slanted that way. They both require a faith in the accuracy of one's thought logic.

Now, look at the topic of this thread.

Are you an atheist or an agnostic now?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176944 Sep 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse poop.
It turns out that the word atheism means much less than I had thought. It is merely the lack of theism.

Basic atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of belief. There is a difference between believing there is no god and not believing there is a god--both are atheistic, though popular usage has ignored the latter.
[Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist, p. 99.
Freedom From Religion Foundation, 1992.]
The word "atheism," however, has in this contention to be construed unusally. Whereas nowadays the usual meaning of "atheist" in English is "someone who asserts there is no such being as God," I want the word to be understood not positively but negatively. I want the originally Greek prefix "a" to be read in the same way in "atheist" as it customarily is read in such other Greco-English words as "amoral," "atypical," and "asymmetrical." In this interpretation an atheist becomes: someone who is simply not a theist. Let us, for future ready reference, introduce the labels "positive atheist" for the former and "negative atheist" for the latter.
[Antony G.N. Flew and Paul Edwards, God, Freedom, and Immortality p. 14.
Prometheus, 1984.]
If you look up "atheism" in the dictionary, you will probably find it defined as the belief that there is no God. Certainly many people understand atheism in this way. Yet many atheists do not, and this is not what the term means if one considers it from the point of view of its Greek roots. In Greek "a" means "without" or "not" and "theos" means "god." From this standpoint an atheist would simply be someone without a belief in God, not necessarily someone who believes that God does not exist. According to its Greek roots, then, atheism is a negative view, characterized by the absence of belief in God.

NOW, you can consider yourself fully educated on the meaning of ATHEIST........No, no, don't thank me, glad I could help.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#176945 Sep 9, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
"Religion has no interest in science" On that note you calling me a moron is a compliment. Step away from the Computer and go to the library. Watch some documentaries, that statement by itself shows you should not be talking about religion, science or history.
Clearly you did not like being called a moron-- or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

LOL!

You can dish it out--but you cannot take it.

Classic.

Rocky Ford, CO

#176946 Sep 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike Theists who make their claim for existence simply because "It feels good" Atheist give very valid reasons why they have a LACK OF BELIEF, most usually because of LACK OF EVIDENCE.".....Glad I could clear up your confusion.
You would do better to clear up your own before tackling that of others.

You are a very emotion based guy. It shows in your reasoning ability and propensity to redefine words and reality to suit your self.

I will not get into your inability to understand how musicians not only have to play an instrument, but also an audience. People are instruments. Why strict music theorists are more like player pianos than pianists. But I will save that for another time as I am going to bed early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Feel the music. Watch the audience. Add that extra or change temp at the right time. Not just the heads moving back and forth, but those shoulder rolls and sways. Follow your fans.

I appreciate the opportunities to educate you. Gives me purpose in life.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176947 Sep 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You would do better to clear up your own before tackling that of others.
You are a very emotion based guy. It shows in your reasoning ability and propensity to redefine words and reality to suit your self.
I will not get into your inability to understand how musicians not only have to play an instrument, but also an audience. People are instruments. Why strict music theorists are more like player pianos than pianists. But I will save that for another time as I am going to bed early.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-TXWQvFkxR8XX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Feel the music. Watch the audience. Add that extra or change temp at the right time. Not just the heads moving back and forth, but those shoulder rolls and sways. Follow your fans.
I appreciate the opportunities to educate you. Gives me purpose in life.
Ok, I understand, you go right ahead and educate me on musicians, but you might want to consider this before embarrassing yourself.

For 50 plus years I have made a living in music. I have raised a family, sent my kids to college, bought and sold three houses, each one an upgrade over the last, have worked with just about ever important entertainer from the last 50 years. I have two published books, am a full professor at a world renowned college. Have written for or been apart of 20 CD's for various people, have been commissioned by numerous colleges and community orchestras to compose original music, the last was for the University of Wisconsin. I have player with or known just about every important musician over the course of the last 30 years. So yes, you go right ahead and educate me on musicians and how they do business.

You're a complete ignorant fool, I can tell by the words and phrases you use that you know absolutely nothing about the musical process, here: "Add that extra or change temp at the right time." WTF is temp? WTF is "add the extra." You aren't even in the same league with a rank amateur, you are so far out of your element its pitiful, but what is really pathetic is, you have no idea how far out of it you are.

I think the project I'm now working on I'll try and "Add the extra" or maybe "change the temp at the right time".....ha ha ha ROTFLMAO....You are entertaining, I'll give you that, not very bright but entertaining!!!!

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#176948 Sep 9, 2013
Saying "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" is as valid as saying "Taking a shit takes as much imagination as believing Mr. Hanky is real."

Rocky Ford, CO

#176949 Sep 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, I understand, you go right ahead and educate me on musicians, but you might want to consider this before embarrassing yourself.
For 50 plus years I have made a living in music. I have raised a family, sent my kids to college, bought and sold three houses, each one an upgrade over the last, have worked with just about ever important entertainer from the last 50 years. I have two published books, am a full professor at a world renowned college. Have written for or been apart of 20 CD's for various people, have been commissioned by numerous colleges and community orchestras to compose original music, the last was for the University of Wisconsin. I have player with or known just about every important musician over the course of the last 30 years. So yes, you go right ahead and educate me on musicians and how they do business.
You're a complete ignorant fool, I can tell by the words and phrases you use that you know absolutely nothing about the musical process, here: "Add that extra or change temp at the right time." WTF is temp? WTF is "add the extra." You aren't even in the same league with a rank amateur, you are so far out of your element its pitiful, but what is really pathetic is, you have no idea how far out of it you are.
I think the project I'm now working on I'll try and "Add the extra" or maybe "change the temp at the right time".....ha ha ha ROTFLMAO....You are entertaining, I'll give you that, not very bright but entertaining!!!!
YAWWNN

Thanks, I needed that.

Good night.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176950 Sep 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
YAWWNN
Thanks, I needed that.
Good night.
Bet you wish your life was as productive and exciting as mine. Bet you wished you had influenced so many people and made their lives more meaningful musically. A actually bet you wish you were an Atheist. And I'll bet you really, really wished you understood enough about music to be able to move on from the childish juvenile shit you think is so wonderful, to more meaningful, exciting and mind expanding music. I'll send you a couple of my CD'S they'll change completely the way you perceive music.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176951 Sep 9, 2013
Actually let me take that back, with your musical mentality you would NEVER understand what you were hearing!!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176952 Sep 9, 2013
My music has FORM, fully formed MELODIES, intricate HARMONIC SCHEMES, DYNAMIC SHADINGS, exquisite orchestration and most important....PASSION!!!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#176953 Sep 9, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
Saying "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" is as valid as saying "Taking a shit takes as much imagination as believing Mr. Hanky is real."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =5qhDyM-knNsXX
Belief in Mr Hanky is no more ridiculous than belief in a magical sky-fairy who grants wishes (prayers)....

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#176954 Sep 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh looky! My stalker is back from rehab!
Wasn't talking TO you, crybaby hypocrite.

Now try to mind your own crybaby business.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#176956 Sep 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief in Mr Hanky is no more ridiculous than belief in a magical sky-fairy who grants wishes (prayers)....
Mr. Hanky is MORE believable.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#176957 Sep 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't talking TO you, crybaby hypocrite.
Do you spit or swallow when servicing Satan ?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#176958 Sep 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't talking TO you, crybaby hypocrite.
Was it something I said?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176959 Sep 9, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And...one more...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-130...
...for those NOT well read.
Idjit.
I'm not sure I know were to start with this moronic article. He spews the same tired old bullshit as he tries to trash one of the smartest men on the planet. It all boils down to his preconceived notion that some agent is responsible for the creation of the universe. To begin any discourse with a predetermined claim is totally pointless. He criticizes Hawking for speculating that there are life forms on other planets because he has no evidence. This for a person who believes an invisible sky daddy created all there is WITHOUT any evidence, a total hypocrite. One of his "proofs" is that God revealed himself through Jesus Christ, a figure that many doubt ever existence. he continues with a universe that appears to have been designed. Designed for what or whom, certainly not humans. Inhospitable to human life, flooded with radiation, distances so vast they are unmeasurable, suns exploding and wiping out entire solar systems, galaxies colliding and destroying each other, back hole swallowing entire star systems, some design. As it is we live here on Earth on climatic knife edge, much of it to hot or cold without protection. There is NOWHERE outside of earth that mankind can survive, so it appears there was no design.

Stephen Hawking "Does the universe need a grand designer, the cosmic laws such as gravity. the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason that there is something rather than nothing, that is why the universe exists and we exist, It is not necessary to evoke a God tom light a match and set the universe going."

And then is does in the end come down to.....how created the creator? Special pleading usually rears its ugly head about this time.

The article is written by a Theists who already has a preconceived notion, it's not a very honest or intelligent way to try and refute someones ideas. Giant FAIL!!!!!

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#176960 Sep 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears you had a good rest and are all charged up to get back on here to do battle with the forces of deliberate ignorance that refuse to see things your way.
How about a cuddle, cutie?
I would not exactly call it a rest but it was good thanks. Spent a few days studying a 55,000 years old Neanderthal grave site. Yet there are good funnymentalist christians out there who tell me that my memories, my notes and my photographs of what I have just done are impossible – go figure.

Sorry, was that a bit of projection showing there? I’m sure it was, after all it’s not the atheists who claim atheism is a religion is it? Nope that’s the reglutards who have difficulty understanding anything different from their view. I have no problem with that faith or deliberately imposed ignorance of such reglutards, but I do have a problem with them using that deliberate ignorance to tell me what I believe in when they really have not got a clue.

I don’t suppose you can really help your chauvinistic lust can you?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#176961 Sep 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your posts have all the focus and content of a severe diarrhea emission.
You toot your horn the same way, I am sure.
The scientific method has been around as long as man. So have hucksters since the beginning of civilization. And their suckers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UTBvw-orhmgXX
98% of the population would prefer listening to that than your "stuff".
Lolol....<the Dave's> true colors always come shining through.

Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 16 min Into The Night 9,820
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr OzRitz 1,394,925
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 hr zach 311,329
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat Bruin For Life 32,288
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 13 Dump Trump 201,862
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web