Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254885 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#176738 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Science is a religion?...really?.......RELI GION..."The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, a personal God or Gods." Doesn't sound like a religion to me.
What science is however, is the ONLY methodology in determining wether or not something is true. Sure glad we have science otherwise people would be believing in all sorts of mythical beings and magical events..........err....pops... ....Sorry!!!
Dumb ass.

You worship men who say they are scientists and interpret the world for you. Priests. You take them at their word and assume they are correct. This is especially true of cosmology and theoretical physics. You can't duplicate the experiments they do. And they can't prove they are right.

Dumb and happy in your artificial world.

Then you criticize theists for their beliefs.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#176739 Sep 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't read, do you? At all?
You read the first word or so-- and then jump to your tirade of hateful belittling?
But I have shown that there cannot be an **omniscient** god.
And I have shown that there cannot be a **caring** god.
And I have shown that there cannot be a **good** god.
What is left?
Spiderman?
Belittling, you say. I just tell you what you belief is your reality. If you find that belittling, perhaps you should find more optimistic beliefs. I do believe no "omniscient, caring or good" God exist in your reality. Like I said. I can't help you. Spiderman would be an improvement, and make you a much more interesting person. Your comedy level may drop, but overall it would be an improvement.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#176740 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
There is proof, it has been documented. Not only can't you see it. It is possible seeking it would cause you harm. As I previously stated, I am note attempting to recruit you. You have your reality and I have mine. Amen.
Stop being so childish, there is NO proof that something called a "soul" exists. It may have been documented by delusional Christians but not by the ONLY means available to determine if something does in fact exist....SCIENCE.

The term "soul"was invented by Christians as a feeble attempt at justifying an afterlife. Any intelligent person knows the body turns to dust after death so as a way of escaping that fate, a separate part of our body was invented. When the body dies, out pops this soul thing and floats up to heaven. I guess it magically carries all that is you with it.

Neurology knows that when certain parts of the brain are damaged, we can lose our speech, forget names of tools, can't recognize loved ones, but when the entire brain dies, we can visit Mom and Dad, and auntie Alice, and frolic in heaven. It would take the mentality of a child to accept such bullshit.......would that be you?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176741 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>
More hate spew from you-- that's pretty much all you do, isn't it?
Taking your word for what you say, hateful. You may want to reevaluate what you say than, instead of being upset at me.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176742 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Only if you ignore actual reality.
<quoted text>
In **exactly** the same way that Santa Claus brings presents.
<quoted text>
By way of the placebo effect, sure.
Proof?
NO MISSING ARMS OR LEGS RE-GROWN. EVER.
You may want to look into your last sentence. As I said before God is there you choose to overlook him r her and deny. Miracles do happen everyday, as is everyday a miracle. I guess not seein it is upsetting.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176743 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Stop being so childish, there is NO proof that something called a "soul" exists. It may have been documented by delusional Christians but not by the ONLY means available to determine if something does in fact exist....SCIENCE.
The term "soul"was invented by Christians as a feeble attempt at justifying an afterlife. Any intelligent person knows the body turns to dust after death so as a way of escaping that fate, a separate part of our body was invented. When the body dies, out pops this soul thing and floats up to heaven. I guess it magically carries all that is you with it.
Neurology knows that when certain parts of the brain are damaged, we can lose our speech, forget names of tools, can't recognize loved ones, but when the entire brain dies, we can visit Mom and Dad, and auntie Alice, and frolic in heaven. It would take the mentality of a child to accept such bullshit.......would that be you?
Buddhist discussed souls prior to Christianity, so did Egyptians. I would go into details but you are too confused as it is. You've been throwing dong against the wall hoping it sticks since I've started reading your post. Most likely prior to that too.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#176744 Sep 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb ass.
You worship men who say they are scientists and interpret the world for you. Priests. You take them at their word and assume they are correct. This is especially true of cosmology and theoretical physics. You can't duplicate the experiments they do. And they can't prove they are right.
Dumb and happy in your artificial world.
Then you criticize theists for their beliefs.
Dumb ass....me? the world class composer/arranger/performer/pr ofessor/accomplished salior/6 handicapper....really.

I read reputable scientific journals, I abdicate to those who are much more knowledgable on the subject than I, I subscribe to scientific magazines, I do research on the subject at hand. I don't "worship" men who are scientists, how foolish of you for putting it in that context. I TRUST men who are scientists, I TRUST that thousands of hard working scientist know what they are talking about. I TRUST the methodology they use in determining if something is true. The process of falsification, peer review, repeatability, and intense examination lead me to accept their findings as being as true as possible for this moment in time. You act as thought these men simple throw together their findings and claim them to be unerringly true. Don't you know anything about the scientific process?........I guess NOT....sucks to be you!!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#176745 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddhist discussed souls prior to Christianity, so did Egyptians. I would go into details but you are too confused as it is. You've been throwing dong against the wall hoping it sticks since I've started reading your post. Most likely prior to that too.
This is your proof?.......LOL

All cultures have an inherent fear of death, of suddenly not existing. All cultures have a means of avoiding this fear, it's as old as mankind. A belief in something that makes you feel secure in death does not make the assumption true, it just makes it comfortable.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#176746 Sep 7, 2013
Miracles do not happen every day. There is no such thing. If there were then people in this world would not have to suffer the way they do... christian or non-christian.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176747 Sep 7, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
Miracles do not happen every day. There is no such thing. If there were then people in this world would not have to suffer the way they do... christian or non-christian.
Suffering is part of the experience of free wills. Souls prefer to take a host, over sitting is a spiritual world. And some souls prefer it over heaven. There are the unqualified to go, and there are those that find it boring.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176748 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>This is your proof?.......LOL
All cultures have an inherent fear of death, of suddenly not existing. All cultures have a means of avoiding this fear, it's as old as mankind. A belief in something that makes you feel secure in death does not make the assumption true, it just makes it comfortable.
Before or after I teach a chimpanzee ho to drive a bicycle. The chimp does have the appearance to have the mechanical parts, but. You do claim to be a monkey's nephew, who am I to argue this detail with you.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#176749 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Dumb ass....me? the world class composer/arranger/performer/pr ofessor/accomplished salior/6 handicapper....really.
I read reputable scientific journals, I abdicate to those who are much more knowledgable on the subject than I, I subscribe to scientific magazines, I do research on the subject at hand. I don't "worship" men who are scientists, how foolish of you for putting it in that context. I TRUST men who are scientists, I TRUST that thousands of hard working scientist know what they are talking about. I TRUST the methodology they use in determining if something is true. The process of falsification, peer review, repeatability, and intense examination lead me to accept their findings as being as true as possible for this moment in time. You act as thought these men simple throw together their findings and claim them to be unerringly true. Don't you know anything about the scientific process?........I guess NOT....sucks to be you!!!!!
Yes, you.

Those men you trust with your very life make a living doing their science. They have vested interests. Money and careers. It's an industry, not a noble calling.

You have hack musicians that blow their horns a lot and claim they are the experts in music. They do this to make money. Lot of competition out there. Scientists have the same issue. Let me qualify that. Theoretical scientists. The ones you listen to. They have to sell their product. R&D scientists are a lot more real and professional. They experiment and observe real stuff.

Sucker.

Tomorrow is Sunday. Go feed your squirrels and serenade them.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#176750 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Suffering is part of the experience of free wills. Souls prefer to take a host, over sitting is a spiritual world. And some souls prefer it over heaven. There are the unqualified to go, and there are those that find it boring.
Nope, wrong, sorry there is no such thing as FREE WILL. How can it be free will when you MUST fear the consequences? That is completely in conflict with the definition of free will. I hold a gun to your head and say "You have free will to give me your wallet or not, but if you don't I'll blow your brains out. Free will means you give or receive something without expectation of return.

Your God is all powerful all seeing, can see the future, or so you claim. he KNOWS what will happen in the future, can see the pathway you have taken. You can ONLY take this pathway, it is predetermined for you by God, so you can only do what is predetermined, no free will. Unless you want to say that God cannot see the future, does NOT know what path you will take. if so, your God is NOT omnipotent, and becomes rather worthless.

Since you seem to know so very much about "souls" please tell us all how you came to this knowledge and show us the evidence that these souls do all you claim they do. Personally I think you're talking out of your azz, prove me wrong post your evidence that souls do all you say they do.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#176751 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't understand your thought process, but that's o.k.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#176752 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Before or after I teach a chimpanzee ho to drive a bicycle. The chimp does have the appearance to have the mechanical parts, but. You do claim to be a monkey's nephew, who am I to argue this detail with you.
I suppose there's a point here, but I can't find one, I'll take this poorly worded and fragmented post as an admission of defeat, Thanks.

I do so enjoy it when you are unable to counter a point I have made and resort to childish posts like the one above. You're so much fun!!!!!

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176753 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, wrong, sorry there is no such thing as FREE WILL. How can it be free will when you MUST fear the consequences? That is completely in conflict with the definition of free will. I hold a gun to your head and say "You have free will to give me your wallet or not, but if you don't I'll blow your brains out. Free will means you give or receive something without expectation of return.
Your God is all powerful all seeing, can see the future, or so you claim. he KNOWS what will happen in the future, can see the pathway you have taken. You can ONLY take this pathway, it is predetermined for you by God, so you can only do what is predetermined, no free will. Unless you want to say that God cannot see the future, does NOT know what path you will take. if so, your God is NOT omnipotent, and becomes rather worthless.
Since you seem to know so very much about "souls" please tell us all how you came to this knowledge and show us the evidence that these souls do all you claim they do. Personally I think you're talking out of your azz, prove me wrong post your evidence that souls do all you say they do.
Yes your karma will get you. He knows the future. Yes. I don't know you well enough to say you have a soul. If you don't, my suggestions will harm you. The books are out there if you are really interested. I think you are not.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#176754 Sep 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you.
Those men you trust with your very life make a living doing their science. They have vested interests. Money and careers. It's an industry, not a noble calling.
You have hack musicians that blow their horns a lot and claim they are the experts in music. They do this to make money. Lot of competition out there. Scientists have the same issue. Let me qualify that. Theoretical scientists. The ones you listen to. They have to sell their product. R&D scientists are a lot more real and professional. They experiment and observe real stuff.
Sucker.
Tomorrow is Sunday. Go feed your squirrels and serenade them.
So sorry you don't know how the scientific method works, you really need to educate yourself, now get busy and stop looking completely stupid.

There is no such things as hack musician that claim they are experts in music, and do so to make money. You really MUST stop commenting on things you know nothing about. You can either play/compose, or not. The first two notes you play determines whether you are a hack or not. NO ONE that is a hack in music will make a dime. You don't get to suck at what you do and be successful. Even though your pukbucket guy plays children's music, he is at lest proficient on his instrument.
Toby

Portland, OR

#176755 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
It actually does prove the existence of a God. Jesus does answer prayers. Jesus and St Michael and many more do provide strength.
A person could ask God to be saved from a tornado, and if they luckily survive, they will automatically claim that the reason they survived was because God answers prayer. Yet wasn't this supposed God in control of the tornado in the first place? Could not have God just simply changed the course of the tornado long before it reached a populated area? If there were no humans on Earth at all wouldn't tornadoes and hurricanes still exist? If God is in control of nature why ask God to deviate from his own predestined plan, if God is in control of natural disasters why do people pray to the very source of the disaster, God could easily place the formation and paths of all tornadoes and hurricanes away from populated areas, that is if God is omnipotent. And if God is omnipresent then he apathetically stands by and watches thousands of people get murdered, raped, burned in fires and he watches them die from diseases and natural disasters, if God is omnipresent then with great indifference he watches while millions of people are slaughtered in wars and genocidal conflicts.

Not only is it claimed that this God knows the heinous events that will befall millions of humans, but he also is supposedly their watching it happen, has the power to change it but instead apathetically just watches it happen. To me ,people asking a God who is omnipotent and omnipresent to save them from a disease, natural disaster or dangerous circumstance, is the equivalent of asking a serial killer who is slaughtering your family to save you alone, and then when the serial killer who is in complete control allows that person to live , then they heap praises on that serial killer for being so loving and merciful.
Toby

Portland, OR

#176756 Sep 7, 2013
Natural disasters, plagues, famines, genocides, murders, God prefers to think of all those things as tough love.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#176757 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes your karma will get you. He knows the future. Yes. I don't know you well enough to say you have a soul. If you don't, my suggestions will harm you. The books are out there if you are really interested. I think you are not.
If I had a souls then I'm sure medical science would be able to find it. Like your God, this soul thing is only something imagined.

There are also books on voodoo and Astro projection, all sorts of books and claims. Do you know how to tell which ones have contents that are real? Thats right...science. So I think I'll pass on your voodoo and magic books and settle for something real, thanks anyways. And I'll take your non-answer on free will as accepting the fact that free will is impossible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Into The Night 9,534
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr cpeter1313 310,954
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Fri Papi Chulo 32,247
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 28 Ela 39
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 27 Jesse 201,845
News Kenny Drummond's Prep School Thingy (Jan '08) Apr 23 Bret Link 21
News LA Tech's Tyler Summitt resigns because of inap... Apr 9 binaries 1
More from around the web