Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176729 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
It actually does prove the existence of a God. Jesus does answer prayers. Jesus and St Michael and many more do provide strength.
Scientific studies have shown that prayer does not work. Most prayers that are said to be answered are either convenient consequences, naturally occurring, as in miraculous healing's, or can be explained by other means. Of course the nail in the coffin for prayers being answered is the FACT that no amputee throughout history has ever been healed as in having a missing limb miraculously replaced. Maybe they just didn't pray hard enough or pray to the right God, after all there are thousands of them.

How many millions prayed as they have never prayed before during the Holocaust. Prayed for their children, for mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, prayed for a quick death during horrific medical experiments. How many of their prayers were answered?

How many mothers sit in silent prayer watching their children suffer horrible and eventually die from starvation? Happens thousands of times a day, and God does.......NOTHING. But he helped your Mom find her lost wedding ring, and athletes point to the heavens thanking God for their touchdown or home runs, but little children dying of cancer......Sorry God is busy providing strength to Robert.

That you are so weak, that you are without any semblance of inner strength, that you have to rely on an outside agents is pitiful.

There is NO proof for your demon God, he/she/it is only something imagined. If in fact you or anyone had verifiable proof the world would suddenly find peace and happiness as all divisiveness would disappear. Wouldn't you think a kind and loving God would KNOW that by allowing the belief in thousands of different Gods this divisiveness would manifest itself in misery and death over centuries. Maybe George Carlin is right, "Maybe he just doesn't give a shit."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176730 Sep 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://scitechdaily.com/physic ists-take-new-approach-unify-q uantum-theory-theory-relativit y/
Theories, theories, theories.
Note the statement about fluid, but atoms get in the way.
I have made comments about the idol worshipers, building from the atom out. The universe created atoms. They are compressions, not expanders, not building blocks. Fractures by observation.
Millions of scientists with trillions of dollars, and this is as far as they get. One beat up old man that thinks about this stuff on occasion for 10 minutes understands the process better than they do. But he doesn't make money from it.
Scientism is a religion. Drop some bills in the plate, please.
Science is a religion?...really?.......RELI GION..."The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, a personal God or Gods." Doesn't sound like a religion to me.

What science is however, is the ONLY methodology in determining wether or not something is true. Sure glad we have science otherwise people would be believing in all sorts of mythical beings and magical events..........err....pops... ....Sorry!!!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#176731 Sep 7, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I do live.
<quoted text> What a matter Ben? Can't handle the truth?
http://www.lipstickalley.com/f50/alert-gay-ma...
You also have this out of Michigan.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/30/98...
Christians the enemy of the Homosexuals? Please. They are their own enemies. They live a lie like atheists and like atheists they infect each other. Apologists for atheism is like spreading AIDS since they promote lies to others with destructive results. Everyone is accountable to God. That is the truth.
Everyone is not accountable to "god". You can't even be sure that your "god" is the correct one... I think your ego is a little enlarged.

Christians are an enemy to anyone who is homosexual because you expect all other people to live by your bible, and that is not they way the world works ;)

You should wash your brain out and realize how hateful you are being. It's disgusting for you to compare atheism to AIDS, or Homosexuality to AIDS. You say these things simply because you don't like that people aren't agreeing with you, and it's sick and sad.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#176732 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Science is a religion?...really?.......RELI GION..."The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, a personal God or Gods." Doesn't sound like a religion to me.
What science is however, is the ONLY methodology in determining wether or not something is true. Sure glad we have science otherwise people would be believing in all sorts of mythical beings and magical events..........err....pops... ....Sorry!!!
A religion isn't merely a supernatural belief. A religion can be anything you deem important enough to influence your worldview. For some, sports is a religion, for others it's music. Science can be embraced as a religion, and indeed many such as Dawkins and yourself do. Dawkins has gone so far as to say that anyone who isn't interested in science can "fuck off."

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#176733 Sep 7, 2013
davy wrote:
No, unicorns answer prayers and provide strength.
<quoted text>
If that is your choice.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176734 Sep 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no soul.
This is easily proven by how much **hate** you spew-- with each of your attempts to belittle those who oppose your trash-talk.
That's pretty much 100% of your output: hate-talk.
The above? Is another example of your attempt to belittle people.
That's HATE, bub.
You **reek** of it.
There is proof, it has been documented. Not only can't you see it. It is possible seeking it would cause you harm. As I previously stated, I am note attempting to recruit you. You have your reality and I have mine. Amen.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176735 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>
See?
You cannot describe an Englishman, without a display of your utter disdain for everyone.
You are despicable.
True, if you can't name him, he is a failure. I prefer it that way. H was a preacher of hatred.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176736 Sep 7, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
A religion isn't merely a supernatural belief. A religion can be anything you deem important enough to influence your worldview. For some, sports is a religion, for others it's music. Science can be embraced as a religion, and indeed many such as Dawkins and yourself do. Dawkins has gone so far as to say that anyone who isn't interested in science can "fuck off."
In agree with Dawkins as science IS the ONLY way of determining if something is true.

"To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of bullshit."

"The good thing about science is that it is TRUE whether or not you believe it."

"Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that a belief can be preserved."

All good reason to embrace science.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176737 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>
You won't be back to refute my statements.
You **never** actually **refute** anything.
But your hate is showing again.
And?
I **must** talk of hate when I am describing **you**...
... that's the way it works.
What is to be refuted, Neither one of us could prove our point to the other. Thank God you can't. Really. And honestly you don't try what I do at home, you'll only harm yourself.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#176738 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Science is a religion?...really?.......RELI GION..."The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, a personal God or Gods." Doesn't sound like a religion to me.
Dumb ass.

You worship men who say they are scientists and interpret the world for you. Priests. You take them at their word and assume they are correct. This is especially true of cosmology and theoretical physics. You can't duplicate the experiments they do. And they can't prove they are right.

Dumb and happy in your artificial world.

Then you criticize theists for their beliefs.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176739 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>
You don't read, do you? At all?
You read the first word or so-- and then jump to your tirade of hateful belittling?
But I have shown that there cannot be an **omniscient** god.
And I have shown that there cannot be a **caring** god.
And I have shown that there cannot be a **good** god.
What is left?
Spiderman?
Belittling, you say. I just tell you what you belief is your reality. If you find that belittling, perhaps you should find more optimistic beliefs. I do believe no "omniscient, caring or good" God exist in your reality. Like I said. I can't help you. Spiderman would be an improvement, and make you a much more interesting person. Your comedy level may drop, but overall it would be an improvement.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176740 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
There is proof, it has been documented. Not only can't you see it. It is possible seeking it would cause you harm. As I previously stated, I am note attempting to recruit you. You have your reality and I have mine. Amen.
Stop being so childish, there is NO proof that something called a "soul" exists. It may have been documented by delusional Christians but not by the ONLY means available to determine if something does in fact exist....SCIENCE.

The term "soul"was invented by Christians as a feeble attempt at justifying an afterlife. Any intelligent person knows the body turns to dust after death so as a way of escaping that fate, a separate part of our body was invented. When the body dies, out pops this soul thing and floats up to heaven. I guess it magically carries all that is you with it.

Neurology knows that when certain parts of the brain are damaged, we can lose our speech, forget names of tools, can't recognize loved ones, but when the entire brain dies, we can visit Mom and Dad, and auntie Alice, and frolic in heaven. It would take the mentality of a child to accept such bullshit.......would that be you?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176741 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>
More hate spew from you-- that's pretty much all you do, isn't it?
Taking your word for what you say, hateful. You may want to reevaluate what you say than, instead of being upset at me.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176742 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Only if you ignore actual reality.
<quoted text>
In **exactly** the same way that Santa Claus brings presents.
<quoted text>
By way of the placebo effect, sure.
Proof?
NO MISSING ARMS OR LEGS RE-GROWN. EVER.
You may want to look into your last sentence. As I said before God is there you choose to overlook him r her and deny. Miracles do happen everyday, as is everyday a miracle. I guess not seein it is upsetting.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176743 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Stop being so childish, there is NO proof that something called a "soul" exists. It may have been documented by delusional Christians but not by the ONLY means available to determine if something does in fact exist....SCIENCE.
The term "soul"was invented by Christians as a feeble attempt at justifying an afterlife. Any intelligent person knows the body turns to dust after death so as a way of escaping that fate, a separate part of our body was invented. When the body dies, out pops this soul thing and floats up to heaven. I guess it magically carries all that is you with it.
Neurology knows that when certain parts of the brain are damaged, we can lose our speech, forget names of tools, can't recognize loved ones, but when the entire brain dies, we can visit Mom and Dad, and auntie Alice, and frolic in heaven. It would take the mentality of a child to accept such bullshit.......would that be you?
Buddhist discussed souls prior to Christianity, so did Egyptians. I would go into details but you are too confused as it is. You've been throwing dong against the wall hoping it sticks since I've started reading your post. Most likely prior to that too.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176744 Sep 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb ass.
You worship men who say they are scientists and interpret the world for you. Priests. You take them at their word and assume they are correct. This is especially true of cosmology and theoretical physics. You can't duplicate the experiments they do. And they can't prove they are right.
Dumb and happy in your artificial world.
Then you criticize theists for their beliefs.
Dumb ass....me? the world class composer/arranger/performer/pr ofessor/accomplished salior/6 handicapper....really.

I read reputable scientific journals, I abdicate to those who are much more knowledgable on the subject than I, I subscribe to scientific magazines, I do research on the subject at hand. I don't "worship" men who are scientists, how foolish of you for putting it in that context. I TRUST men who are scientists, I TRUST that thousands of hard working scientist know what they are talking about. I TRUST the methodology they use in determining if something is true. The process of falsification, peer review, repeatability, and intense examination lead me to accept their findings as being as true as possible for this moment in time. You act as thought these men simple throw together their findings and claim them to be unerringly true. Don't you know anything about the scientific process?........I guess NOT....sucks to be you!!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#176745 Sep 7, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddhist discussed souls prior to Christianity, so did Egyptians. I would go into details but you are too confused as it is. You've been throwing dong against the wall hoping it sticks since I've started reading your post. Most likely prior to that too.
This is your proof?.......LOL

All cultures have an inherent fear of death, of suddenly not existing. All cultures have a means of avoiding this fear, it's as old as mankind. A belief in something that makes you feel secure in death does not make the assumption true, it just makes it comfortable.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#176746 Sep 7, 2013
Miracles do not happen every day. There is no such thing. If there were then people in this world would not have to suffer the way they do... christian or non-christian.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176747 Sep 7, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
Miracles do not happen every day. There is no such thing. If there were then people in this world would not have to suffer the way they do... christian or non-christian.
Suffering is part of the experience of free wills. Souls prefer to take a host, over sitting is a spiritual world. And some souls prefer it over heaven. There are the unqualified to go, and there are those that find it boring.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#176748 Sep 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>This is your proof?.......LOL
All cultures have an inherent fear of death, of suddenly not existing. All cultures have a means of avoiding this fear, it's as old as mankind. A belief in something that makes you feel secure in death does not make the assumption true, it just makes it comfortable.
Before or after I teach a chimpanzee ho to drive a bicycle. The chimp does have the appearance to have the mechanical parts, but. You do claim to be a monkey's nephew, who am I to argue this detail with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Guest 1,484,293
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 10,810
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 14 hr ThomasA 313,233
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 hr Chosen Traveler 32,719
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jan 20 Sue 286
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Jan 17 Go Blue Forever 75
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jan 17 louis 19
More from around the web