Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254996 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#175861 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
It is a valid observation given the content of your posts. You despise a God you do not believe exists and then deny you do which is typical of Topix atheists.
Don't be silly. I am disgusted in how willfully ignorant you, and people like you are. Your deities are your personal, imagined beings. They don't exist apart from you.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm writing to you and not to the thing of your worship. It's not real, so it couldn't read my words or respond.
So it is not God but me for some reason having to do with reflexive and yes i do dress myself.
Self-reflexivity is not about putting clothing on...

<sigh>
I have no problem with God depicted. I do not find Him repulsive nor do i blame God for things we bring on ourselves especially when He warns us in advance.
Quite clearly you feel the need to defend your image of "God" and polish it shiny, forcibly re-interpreting the OT to produce a clean, moral and all-loving image.
I do find it bizarre folks like you find slavery as depicted in Scripture so repulsive while you practically ignore it everywhere else. Justin addresses a despicable type in His first apology 27
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/richardson/fathers.x...
<quoted text>
And you rant against slavery in the Bible and ignore this???
1. You're confused.

2. I'm pointing out to you that your deity cannot be the source of all human morality. How "God" is imagined changes throughout time and history and depends on cultural context.

3. When slavery was widespread, the Bible was used to support slavery. The OT depicts a deity who clearly endorses slavery and is, in no way, opposed to it.

4. Yet you claim that now the deity is against slavery, and you point out that the Bible was also used to argue against slavery (thank you, Quakers).

5. Clearly, you fail to understand that your personal beliefs are the product of late 20th century Christianity and Western history up to that point. You fail to realize how very different Christians in different centuries "knew" and "experienced" God and that they were very, very different from you.

6. "God" and Christianity are not constants. They are products of human culture. Your deity is a socially constructed being. It does not exist apart from you. You have been trained to interpret experience such that for you "God exists - not unlike believers in all other religions experiencing their deities.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#175862 Aug 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
When debating any issue, there is an implicit burden of proof on the person asserting a claim. "If this responsibility or burden of proof is shifted to a critic, the fallacy of appealing to ignorance is committed".[1] This burden does not necessarily require a mathematical or strictly logical proof, although many strong arguments do rise to this level (such as in logical syllogisms). Rather, the evidential standard required for a given claim is determined by convention or community standards, with regard to the context of the claim in question.[2][3]
Glad I could clear up your misconception on exactly WHO shoulders the burden of proof.
You......"The universe has a creator." You are therefore "The person asserting a claim." Se how that works cupcake!!!! Good!! Now get busy with your proof, or admit to appealing to ignorance. Your choice.
BlackLagoon the topic is "Atheism requires as much proof as religion?" You have to be Quantum Bob posing as another log on user. I bet you two pop up on many treads together. I wouldn't be surprised if you have about 5 log on IDs

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175863 Aug 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet your "god" requires constant ego stroking...
... or else he tortures you forever.
Hmmmm....
.... it appears your god is both a sadist and an egomaniac.
I just don't get why you don't take people's word for what they say. Again this reflects upon you more than those you judge. I recall you got excited about my dong in a 3 piece suit comment. Which BTW, I find to be true. And you found to be very offensive and you claim you never posted anything that offensive. it is my opinion your lack of believe of what people straight out tell you, is more offensive than your beliefs suck, and I do feel bad for those that it is true for, but by no means spread it.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#175864 Aug 29, 2013
followerofSatan wrote:
<quoted text>
when you get your GED, and get a degree in astro-physics, and then do some post graduate work and study the experiments and studies and data provided by NASA, you will comprehend.. until such time, just dwell on your bronze age stories of talking donkeys and burning bushes....
you been a moron this long, what's a few more years..
I'm just curious, but do you have a degree in Astro-physics?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175865 Aug 29, 2013
followerofSatan wrote:
<quoted text>
wow...you even know what god needs and doesn't....bwhahahhahahah..... you getting high sniffing your skid marks aren't you?
Don't flatter yourself, your comments against God as zero effects on anything. As I said "What does God need with your positive thoughts?" e don't need you. You'll be history just as you claim. You do know yourself.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175866 Aug 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Please explain to us all exactly how you know what or whatnot God needs. I've asked you to please PROVE that God does not need a starship as he could possible be part of an ancient and highly advanced extraterrestrial race and does indeed need a starship. Go for it!
I can't help you. To explain would just be a waste of my time. God does not NEED anything. Your ego has trouble with that. You think "I'll show you!" you take your actions, and no one is effected besides the poor bastard that has to hear your story about the cause and effect. Maybe you'll suck don another drink after that.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175867 Aug 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
"If this responsibility or burden of proof is shifted to a critic, the fallacy of appealing to ignorance is committed".
You have ONCE again made an appeal to ignorance. Is comprehension some kind of a problem for you. A learning disability perhaps, or simply because you really are ignorant. Avoiding your responsibility is childish at best, so please support your claim that then Universe has a creator. Ask me one more time to prove that is doesn't means complete defeat on your part. Constantly making an appeal to ignorance really makes you look stupid, DO BETTER. So far you've failed twice, wanna go for three?
Again you need to work on your reading comprehension. My claim is no one could prove their beliefs. This includes if their was a creator or not. You are the one claiming fact not faith. The fact you suggest people admitting they have faith, have to prove while people claiming they have no faith and are only based on fact owe no proof. I doubt you understand the meaning of the words that are being used. And I will soon post here why I know neither side could prove their faith to be fact.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175868 Aug 29, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a big difference between knowing how you feel and using it as an attack....I usually respond in kind to people...if they come with an attitude then I give them an attitude back. As long as no one comes on here with the thought that they will change someone's mind, and they allow the other person to continue their belief or lack their of, there is no problem from me. I haven't had a problem speaking with you so far. I'm sure if the right things were said it could probably get mean, but I've seen your responses an I know how I respond sometimes so that the only reason I say that :-). I don't fully understand your beliefs only because I've shared it and chose to leave for reasons that I "do" understand, but it made me aware that long followed faith is a hard thing to break.
You just don't notice they never take my word for anything I say. You might catch a slight attitude. I find this worse than my insults such as they are without soul. Question for you. Don't they say the same thing about you. Much of what I do post here is "We is you and that mouse in your pocket. You know yourself, you don't know me.' In fact if you really read our exchange. They either don't know me after I tell them about my self, or they think I am Walter Mitty. Please don't think I am complaining. You brought this up. I am just saying. The truth is what they think does suck. Why they do not take people for their word. It's because they are built that way. They are that dishonest.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175869 Aug 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care what atheist believe in... But I do believe they are dumb... but don't care
Genius.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#175870 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Stop the moralizing. It is sickening.
<quoted text> Stop distorting my posts. Either that or work on your comprehension. Slavery is regulated which is far different than supported. <quoted text> More sickening moralizing. God lets us go our own way and deal with the consequences. Its not all that difficult to understand. You haven't answered anything. More shucking and jiving.
I feel your frustration. This issue forces you to face a daunting choice. No matter the issue, it's the same choice many of us have had to face. You can hide behind waffling self-affirming rationalization, or you can face it like a thinking adult with all the free will you claim is so important. The choice is simple.

It's either the Word of God, or it's the word of man.

The word of man would do something eerily similar to your position, e.g., "Slavery is regulated...", and, "God lets us go our own way and deal with the consequences."

Did you spend one moment to consider what you've proposed? I think not. You've used some innocuous, generic pronouns - "us" and "our" - and they provide comforting cover from the reality hidden behind them. These are living, breathing humans behind those faceless pronouns. "Us" can be those that enslave their brothers, and "we" are those who are blessed to live in misery, and die, as "consequence". Could there be a more horrid example of the injustice of your God's apparent lassitude?

The Word of a transcendent God would, please God, rise above human feckless foibles and false flatteries. It would demand that humanity look up, not sideways. It would surely set a bar above that which we can easily and falsely prescribe for ourselves. It would, please God, be the epitome of justice and goodwill.

The Word of a transcendent God would not flaccidly accept and deign to "regulate" man's weaknesses and injustices. It would not ask us to worship that which accepts and "regulates" our own craven inability to rise above our own venal inhumanity.

By your own tacit admission above, for all it's lofty claims, the Bible does not rise above the level of man. Word of God? Many hope surely not.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175871 Aug 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You are welcome for the educational material.
Sadly, it appears that your ability to learn has been completely clogged by your extreme delusions(faith).
Oh well.
You're talking. You don't even know I am not a Christian after I told you several times and posted comments that make it very clear, I am not a Christian. Seriously your reading comprehension sucks. I do read what you post. It does over look what is the question asked. You can't prove and in a few post I'll explain why. And, I do mean the word can't.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175872 Aug 29, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
IF the Perfect One couldnt keep up,it would NOT be PERFECT now would it!
you simpletons are quite amusing LLL
<quoted text>
now youre getting it,,we will all die off,you included,,
next generation will no doubt be more rational then your religious simpletons..thnx to atheists who know this is only lifes we have,,,and only heaven we can ever have is to create it here on Earth
belief in souls and afterlife is what Devalues human life,,and should be discarded like all the other silly supertitions..
Yes, I know, we as in you and your fellow believers of atheism. Those with souls will be born into a new existence. Fo some it will b in some sort of holy Kingdom, for others they'll be back into human or other beings form. did you choose it or where you born into it. IMO, that is case by case.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175873 Aug 29, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to prove spirits deities exist first,,,good luck
No I don't. The fact you can't recognize it means you are out of luck. Or you are lying and seeking attention. Either way, have nothing to prove. Agnostics trying to teach or recruit gnostic is backwards and that is your goal. Spreading atheism is backwards.

Since: Aug 13

Van Cruz, CA

#175874 Aug 29, 2013
what a buncha fluf

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175875 Aug 29, 2013
Ok QUANTUM BOB here goes your answer, on why you CAN"T PROVE there was no creator of the universe. You can't prove how The Universe was started. No one could. People have been working on this for many years. The Big Bang Theory is just that, a theory. Respected good guess, that triggered off many spin offs. Even ideas shared that there was a big bang but it was not the very beginning. Until you could prove the beginning you can't prove details of the beginning. And again, I know you can't do that period. How you did not pick out this was that I was leading to is beyond me.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#175876 Aug 29, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I've repeatedly explained that I am not objective. Maybe you're forgetful.
<quoted text>
Wow. Totally and utterly immoral of you - and Social Darwinist. And stupid. Two differing populations that enjoy economic trade also engage in cross-cultural marriages and, what seems to be important to your limited views, admixture of genes.
You don't need slavery to have gene flow, oh insane one.
<quoted text>
No. If Christians believe their deity is perfect, the source of all morality and lives outside of time, then it's statements on slavery very obviously expose those beliefs as silly.
Please try to follow the discussion instead of turn it into another Dave-fantasy.
<quoted text>
You should be ashamed of yourself for supporting slavery.
And your senseless babble about anthropology is meaningless. Perhaps turn up the O2?
You are missing an important sociological factor in the trade versus slavery. Very important. Concerns how man spread out.

Sorry, Hiding, you not objective, just like you said. Therefore your credibility is shot to hell.

Any native intelligence you had has been buried by the substitute artificial intelligence that replaced it. Your education. You have been programmed by it to proselytize the farming of humans is good. There is no difference between you and a newly minted Baptist preacher out of seminary school. And just as hypocritical.

When man got to a certain point in population competition for food and living became much cheaper than owning slaves. The more competition, and the cheaper it gets. Hence much of this social activism and globalization of today. It is cheaper to hire an immigrant off the boat than to buy and feed a human being. They can also be disposed of more easily for economic concerns.

That is human economics, not deity.

Enjoy those drinks and perks that go with your position, you are earning them by planting seeds in the heads of your fellow humans that will make them little more than robots. You have yours in this struggle. Enjoy it. The rest will all turn to dust anyhow. Which someone will make money off of,too. Cradle to grave managed life.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#175877 Aug 29, 2013
BTW, Hiding, you do not have any skin in this game of life. I believe you said you don't have children. You have created no hostages to the system you are trying to create. Let me say that adopted children are also not your legacy. Some will assume so to justify their selfish actions.

Lots more fun when you don't have those hostages. Your thoughts don't advance mankind, it is those babies that have to grow up in what you left. Trust their parents to be more careful with their changes than an ideologue.

Your ego won't let you see what you are doing.

With that, I am going to bed.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#175878 Aug 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Stop the moralizing. It is sickening.
<quoted text> Stop distorting my posts. Either that or work on your comprehension. Slavery is regulated which is far different than supported. <quoted text> More sickening moralizing. God lets us go our own way and deal with the consequences. Its not all that difficult to understand. You haven't answered anything. More shucking and jiving. Anyways, it is my night off and i do not intend to spend it here. You need to work long hours with a lot of people and come home exhausted, dirty, hungry' and with sore feet. Best thing for you really. Being productive and working hard. It might improve your social skills. Learn how to deal with people face to face. All kinds of people. Get out and be productive.
Hey, I know a guy who can get you a few slaves.

How much are you willing to pay for a strong, young, productive one who's willing to work long hours and come home exhausted and dirty and hungry and with sore feet?

Of course, I would require a commission.

What do you say--shall we deal?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#175879 Aug 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
BTW, Hiding, you do not have any skin in this game of life. I believe you said you don't have children. You have created no hostages to the system you are trying to create. Let me say that adopted children are also not your legacy. Some will assume so to justify their selfish actions.
Lots more fun when you don't have those hostages. Your thoughts don't advance mankind, it is those babies that have to grow up in what you left. Trust their parents to be more careful with their changes than an ideologue.
Your ego won't let you see what you are doing.
With that, I am going to bed.
Bravo, great posts

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#175880 Aug 29, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You just don't notice they never take my word for anything I say. You might catch a slight attitude. I find this worse than my insults such as they are without soul. Question for you. Don't they say the same thing about you. Much of what I do post here is "We is you and that mouse in your pocket. You know yourself, you don't know me.' In fact if you really read our exchange. They either don't know me after I tell them about my self, or they think I am Walter Mitty. Please don't think I am complaining. You brought this up. I am just saying. The truth is what they think does suck. Why they do not take people for their word. It's because they are built that way. They are that dishonest.
I don't know if anyone says anything about me really. I've spoken to many people on here, but I usually don't have too much trouble :) I was confused by one of your sentences.... "We is you and that mouse in your pocket. You know yourself, you don't know me." What did this mean?

I wouldn't mind if you were complaining. I have complained about people on here many times.:) It's understandable even if you were.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min My New Alias RULES 1,376,122
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr ThomasA 311,048
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 12 hr Trojan 32,252
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Tue Earthling-1 9,555
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 28 Ela 38
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 27 Jesse 201,845
News Kenny Drummond's Prep School Thingy (Jan '08) Apr 23 Bret Link 21
More from around the web