Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,414)

Showing posts 168,261 - 168,280 of223,061
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Until you have an example of "nothingness" you have no idea that our universe could not arise from nothingness. Can you define nothingness? What are it's properties, can it be examined? So until you define nothingness and can test and examine it, any claims you make regarding it are worthless.
Complex chemicals forming life requires NO manipulation, its a natural process. There is NO hardcore scientific evidence that our intelligence was in any way "manipulated" Where do you get such insane ideas! There is also ZERO evidence that anything or anyone had anything to do with the creation of our universe. The intelligence that you bandy about here surely knows there are multiple theories as to how the universe came to be, and that it may have never been created but simply always was.
BTW, to Atheists worth his salt thinks that we a magical being of our own making. Now you're just being dishonest, or just plain silly. It appears that the Theist is the ones who believe we are magical beings, created by a mythical being who scooped up some dirt and blew on it and out popped a fully form male human.
You are confused about your beliefs and non-beliefs.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!!
I have posted about waking up in my death experience. This was after my physical consciousness, what we call our day to day thinking, had checked out and no viable way to continue had been presented. There was then an awakening in another dimension and consciousness, and a very strong desire to go back to sleep and dream again to escape it. Another existence was waiting for me as another type of being. I was looking at where I was to enter it. It didn't appeal to me. A very true and deep despair was experienced. I was enabled to return to this one. With some rewriting of events that had occurred.
Funny, Topix atheists base their non-belief on books they read, not on living experience.
Your personal delusional experience is not proof of anything more than what happens to a dying brain. We are all aware of how real a dream can be and your experience I'm sure seemed real to you.

Atheists have no belief, and what we base our *lack of belief* on is not found solely in books, but through logic and reason, along with a healthy dose of skepticism. Why gullibility is not against the law I'll never know.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
My never ending question to Atheist, and one they never field to a satisfactory level is. Why spread it? There are religious groups I disagree with, but respect their reasons for attempting to spread their religion 1. The if you don't you suffer consequences. Not a big fan of, but I respect the efforts of believers of such religions 2. You are offering a very optimistic belief. Perhaps you truly see it as a handicap not having such a belief. The Atheist fall into neither of these two sorts. In fact, even if I believed as they do, I wouldn't want to spread the belief.
By constantly calling Atheism an belief, you demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge as to what constitutes Atheism. Education is a wonderful thing. Here, let me help you out.

1.) I believe in God.....Theist.

2.) Due to lack of evidence, I don't believe a God exits....Atheism.

Number one is a POSITIVE ASSERTION, "god exists."

Number two is a REJECTION of that assertion due to lack of evidence.

Religion, all religions are dangerous. They are dangerous to the individual, and dangerous to society. It teaches people to be satisfied with NOT understanding the world around them. It promotes divisiveness between peoples, to the point of physical violence resulting in death and misery. It has for centuries put up a wall against any scientific and medical advancements. Its foundation is based on ignorance, intolerance, and fear. It allows people to make life altering decisions based on delusions and things only imagined. Most Theists simply do not care that their beliefs are true, only that they feel good. Since our beliefs inform our actions, having beliefs that are not based in reality, is a danger to all. That is why many Atheist battle this plague on mankind. Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Neil Degrass Tyson, Victor Stegner, Daniel Dennet, and so many other scientists, bring this plight to the attention of those who treasure logic, reason, and skepticism.

I'm sorry those wonderful traits are so foreign to you. Do try and replace credulity, gullibility, and wish-thinking with logic reason and skepticism. The world will in fact open up to you!!!!!! Good luck with your new outlook on life!!!!

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't carry on adult conversations with children, sorry!!!!
your admission of defeat is duly noted...

Bro. Clownie GRINNS and wins
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confused about your beliefs and non-beliefs.
And you, extremely confused about what IS or ISN"T real!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And you, extremely confused about what IS or ISN"T real!!
:-)

You are amusing, Loony.

Some may think you are a musician, but I find you an unintentional comedian.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your personal delusional experience is not proof of anything more than what happens to a dying brain. We are all aware of how real a dream can be and your experience I'm sure seemed real to you.
Atheists have no belief, and what we base our *lack of belief* on is not found solely in books, but through logic and reason, along with a healthy dose of skepticism. Why gullibility is not against the law I'll never know.
Yep, it was a dying brain. It was looking smack dab at the giant hook in the sky pulling it off stage. Stone cold reality right there. Not an ounce of delusion.

And I didn't for one split second even consider "I" was going extinct. Just fired real sudden from this gig without another lined up. Oh, shit.

Read some books, Loony and then come back and tell me why I didn't consider death as you proclaim it. Surely you have a better perspective of life from reading those books than I had living and losing it.

You are so smart and knowledgeable. You might even get super smart for a brief instant when your time comes.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>My never ending question to Atheist, and one they never field to a satisfactory level is. Why spread it? There are religious groups I disagree with, but respect their reasons for attempting to spread their religion 1. The if you don't you suffer consequences. Not a big fan of, but I respect the efforts of believers of such religions 2. You are offering a very optimistic belief. Perhaps you truly see it as a handicap not having such a belief. The Atheist fall into neither of these two sorts. In fact, even if I believed as they do, I wouldn't want to spread the belief.
Religion is something that causes a lot of damage to a lot of lives sometimes...personally I feel like if someone is going to follow a religion then they need to follow it on a personal level...I don't come here to try to make people become an atheist, but when I see people who are religious reacting in a negative way to people who don't believe then I feel the need to point out that, although your book says that you should spread your word, it does not say that you should call names and continuously argue over the subject. I was always taught that after spreading the word that my hands were clean and it was up to that person to make their decision...I was also taught that I was not supposed to keep the same company as non-believers. Both of those things came from the bible, yet almost every "christian" that comes to this site does not follow the those teachings. That is one of the reasons I don't follow christianity anymore.

Everyone wants to be respected...we don't have to respect each others beliefs, but we should respect each others right to make our own decisions on our faith or the lack there of.
xianity is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, it was a dying brain. It was looking smack dab at the giant hook in the sky pulling it off stage. Stone cold reality right there. Not an ounce of delusion.
stop BShyting yourself,,if your brain was dying you wouldnt be here,youd be Dead..
Thinking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Tranny Town Clunt has admitted to necrophiliac tendencies on this forum. He is a total sicko.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't carry on adult conversations with children, sorry!!!!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
No question we do, it should be embraced. To post as you have. You have no belief in Quantum physics, or you don't believe it. So be it.
Quantum physics isn't a belief, it is a statistical reality.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Tranny Town Clunt has admitted to necrophiliac tendencies on this forum. He is a total sicko.
<quoted text>
! Like I stated before ... you're a liar, a fraud, a fibber, a deceiver, and fabricator of fictitious atheistic bull$#!+. Ah, Clownie the Anointed smiles, knowing his Heavenly sent knowledge, wisdom, and direction in life lets him soak in the warm Florida sunshine that God has so lovingly sent, with admiration and thanks. Praise be to God!!!
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!!
I have posted about waking up in my death experience. This was after my physical consciousness, what we call our day to day thinking, had checked out and no viable way to continue had been presented. There was then an awakening in another dimension and consciousness, and a very strong desire to go back to sleep and dream again to escape it. Another existence was waiting for me as another type of being. I was looking at where I was to enter it. It didn't appeal to me. A very true and deep despair was experienced. I was enabled to return to this one. With some rewriting of events that had occurred.
Funny, Topix atheists base their non-belief on books they read, not on living experience.
reminder,
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me"
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
So you claim... "MAGIC" here?
Okay-- but "magic" isn't real nor is it scientifically sound.
Fail.
<quoted text>
Bullshyt.
<quoted text>
Bullshyt.
<quoted text>
Yes-- but obviously **YOU** do not. You invoke...
.... MAGIC as your "explanation".
This is hardly surprising... you BELIEVE in magic (gods)!
Silly.
...ugly dude, you sound like a cat shitting razor blades

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
We have had discussions about this before.
Poly says magic, I say readjustment of energy transfers on the universal scale.
Everything is tied together per science. Move one tiny bit and it crosses the universe.
You have two ways for that decay to occur. A tug from somewhere else on that particle, or a barrier to it is lessened allowing for its imbalance to seek balance.
Atoms are part of the universe. You do understand that, don't you?
Yes, of course they are part of the universe. And the universe is, at base, acausal. It isn't magic: the probabilities can be precisely calculated. But each individual event is probabilistic and not caused by previous events. There is no 'supernatural', but the properties of the 'natural' are not what Aristotle or even Newton thought.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, of course they are part of the universe. And the universe is, at base, acausal. It isn't magic: the probabilities can be precisely calculated. But each individual event is probabilistic and not caused by previous events. There is no 'supernatural', but the properties of the 'natural' are not what Aristotle or even Newton thought.
That sure is a leap of faith it is acausal. Particularly when you haven't seen the whole thing yet. And if you do see the whole thing the something caused it because it just occupies a portion of something larger.

You are really disconnected from reality with your theorizing and sophistry.

Poly, your theoretical math based certainty is based upon a fuzzy starting point.

Listen too me.

YOU DON'T BURST ON THE SCENE OUT OF NOTHING.

If so, please supply the "physical" evidence it can. Duplicate it.

Your numbers are measurements of effects, you are trying to turn them into effects on their own.

Damn, you can't get a 1/436554th until you get a damned 1 to begin with.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Listen too me.
Boo!

See?

Catcher did it too you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Boo!
See?
Catcher did it too you.
Why didn't you comment on that link I posted about forcing professionals to provide services regardless of religious beliefs by the New Mexico supreme court?

That can apply to you.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>By constantly calling Atheism an belief, you demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge as to what constitutes Atheism. Education is a wonderful thing. Here, let me help you out.
1.) I believe in God.....Theist.
2.) Due to lack of evidence, I don't believe a God exits....Atheism.
Number one is a POSITIVE ASSERTION, "god exists."
Number two is a REJECTION of that assertion due to lack of evidence.
Religion, all religions are dangerous. They are dangerous to the individual, and dangerous to society. It teaches people to be satisfied with NOT understanding the world around them. It promotes divisiveness between peoples, to the point of physical violence resulting in death and misery. It has for centuries put up a wall against any scientific and medical advancements. Its foundation is based on ignorance, intolerance, and fear. It allows people to make life altering decisions based on delusions and things only imagined. Most Theists simply do not care that their beliefs are true, only that they feel good. Since our beliefs inform our actions, having beliefs that are not based in reality, is a danger to all. That is why many Atheist battle this plague on mankind. Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Neil Degrass Tyson, Victor Stegner, Daniel Dennet, and so many other scientists, bring this plight to the attention of those who treasure logic, reason, and skepticism.
I'm sorry those wonderful traits are so foreign to you. Do try and replace credulity, gullibility, and wish-thinking with logic reason and skepticism. The world will in fact open up to you!!!!!! Good luck with your new outlook on life!!!!
No question it is a belief, otherwise you'd be able to prove it. You can' period.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That sure is a leap of faith it is acausal. Particularly when you haven't seen the whole thing yet. And if you do see the whole thing the something caused it because it just occupies a portion of something larger.
You are really disconnected from reality with your theorizing and sophistry.
Poly, your theoretical math based certainty is based upon a fuzzy starting point.
Listen too me.
If so, please supply the "physical" evidence it can. Duplicate it.
Your numbers are measurements of effects, you are trying to turn them into effects on their own.
Damn, you can't get a 1/436554th until you get a damned 1 to begin with.
Got some time to kill before I leave, so I'm gonna give you something to kick around. As you may recall, I'm a skeptic and I believe everything has a plausible explanation, and it's worked out that way in my life for everything but this:
The year is 1964. I'm fourteen and hanging around a local park, sitting on the swings and talking to a friend of mine. He stops talking and points skyward. I see what appears to be a large chrome ball suspended maybe five hundred or so feet above us. Could be higher or lower; the point is it was clearly visible as It was roughly 6:00 pm, early September. We watched for a few minutes, when suddenly a long pole began to descend from the bottom of the globe, also chrome in color. Roughly two minutes passed and the pole stopped descending.It then split apart at right angles at the bottom of the pole, turned a bright red, and both pole and globe simply vanished. I had enough presence of mind to ask my friend to describe exactly what he saw, and he confirmed my own take on the matter exactly. Keep in mind this was 1964, technology was minimal. We were both 14, so no drugs involved. I tried to research it, but nothing was remotely close to what we saw.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 168,261 - 168,280 of223,061
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,071,763
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- 1 hr Sophia 7
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Forum 304,892
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 hr PEE PEE PETE 26,611
Do you need a loan of any kind?we will be very ... (Aug '13) Jul 7 mutedo 2
Best Logo in the America East Jul 3 Mike Sivo 1
Antwon White - Guilty (Sep '07) Jul 2 the system smh 21
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••