Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255310 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#175407 Aug 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, I associated Boston with punks. Had a 215 pound Bostonian sucker punch my 135 pound right temple in a bar once. The three guys around us caught my arm a couple of seconds later with the broken glass coming down a foot from his face. Took time to find it and break it. Then one of them to hold him and 5 to hold me, which didn't work, it took a 300 pounder throwing me to the floor and sitting on me with those huge hands in my face saying no to stop me. I didn't argue with him. But he did stop me again 10 minutes later when I went outside to talk to that Bostonian individual with a beer bottle in my hand.
Bostonians can piss me off with their attitudes and presumptions. Obnoxious people.
Not real bright are you. You come to Boston and hang out in bars in the shit part of town, every town has one. I guess you deserve what you got for being so stupid. With all the great places to hang your hat, places of sophistication and elegance, you chose Buddy's beer joint, too funny. A more intelligent person would have gone to the "Top Of The Hub" had a great dinner and listened to some Jazz. Quiet, elegant, civilized, and most likely filled with Atheists, after all we are superior in intelligence. You might have even had the lifer altering experience of listening to me play. I worked at the Top Of The Hub for a number of years. Oh, well, next time your in Town drop by the triple C lounge in Dorchester, the southern part of town, there's a fight there almost every night, and a shooting or two. You seem to like those kinds of places, you'll fit right in. Meanwhile I'll be uptown enjoying the elegance of the Union Oyster House.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#175408 Aug 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'm sorry, Loony. I left the neurologist home that day. Had other things on my mind, so didn't have any room for him in my head. Then surprise, surprise.
Ever wear those things they stick to your head and wear around all day? Measures brain waves or something. I did it twice. Blew the first one the night before it was to come off. Knew when it died.
You're ridiculous.
How convenient for you. Now all you have left is your personal experience for us to believe, or not. As if one's personal delusions were worthy of any consideration. Gullibility should be against the law. At least one of the 10 commandments "Thou shalt not be Gullible."

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#175409 Aug 24, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Youre disqualified, youre an avowed rebel, accuser ,reprobate. You have nothing but condemnation. Proud you say?
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.
More ugly hate from another Genuine Christian™.

Exactly the kind of hate your Jesus commanded you to do to your enemies.

Right?

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#175410 Aug 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Not real bright are you. You come to Boston and hang out in bars in the shit part of town, every town has one. I guess you deserve what you got for being so stupid. With all the great places to hang your hat, places of sophistication and elegance, you chose Buddy's beer joint, too funny. A more intelligent person would have gone to the "Top Of The Hub" had a great dinner and listened to some Jazz. Quiet, elegant, civilized, and most likely filled with Atheists, after all we are superior in intelligence. You might have even had the lifer altering experience of listening to me play. I worked at the Top Of The Hub for a number of years. Oh, well, next time your in Town drop by the triple C lounge in Dorchester, the southern part of town, there's a fight there almost every night, and a shooting or two. You seem to like those kinds of places, you'll fit right in. Meanwhile I'll be uptown enjoying the elegance of the Union Oyster House.
This was in Joliet, IL and he was a team member of an Army unit I was in. We worked together the next day and about 4 months more, and on equipment we could have just accidentally dropped and done serious or worse damage on each other. We were not buddies, but made efforts to avoid similar incidents.

It was a nice lounge. The absolute favorite of any I have been in. A fun place. Except for a Boston bred idiot tough guy that almost got me sent to prison. I was going to kill him for that. Absolute murderous rage while drunk. He put a full hard shot from my side to the temple and I saw stars, but did not miss a beat in reacting. Knocked me leaning over the bar, I grabbed a glass, broke it, and swung before he could even react. I'm good at that. I was the strongest and fastest 135 pounder you ever saw. Very work hardened. Pure God's work having those guys stop that swing. Made me feel bad. I apologized to my absolute favorite bar maid for breaking the glass and spilling stuff all over. Oh, Fran. I would have gotten a divorce and married her. Although she almost got me killed in there later with a group of large and rough surveyors from Wisconsin who were getting a little too drunk and rowdy. I was her protector, and she told them that. But I stayed until things settled down. Loved that woman.

Before that place, my favorites were the lowest dives in town. I changed my ways.

I never got that drunk or let myself get in that kind of position again.

I'm still pissed and that was almost 40 years ago.

But I have mellowed a bunch since my younger days.

Boston as*holes.

Again you opened your mouth and your ignorance did spew forth. You must have trained very hard to be so good at it.

Lamar, CO

#175411 Aug 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>How convenient for you. Now all you have left is your personal experience for us to believe, or not. As if one's personal delusions were worthy of any consideration. Gullibility should be against the law. At least one of the 10 commandments "Thou shalt not be Gullible."
All we have of your talents and intellectual prowess is what you tell us you have.

Does that make us even?

Boston as*hole.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#175412 Aug 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
This was in Joliet, IL and he was a team member of an Army unit I was in. We worked together the next day and about 4 months more, and on equipment we could have just accidentally dropped and done serious or worse damage on each other. We were not buddies, but made efforts to avoid similar incidents.
It was a nice lounge. The absolute favorite of any I have been in. A fun place. Except for a Boston bred idiot tough guy that almost got me sent to prison. I was going to kill him for that. Absolute murderous rage while drunk. He put a full hard shot from my side to the temple and I saw stars, but did not miss a beat in reacting. Knocked me leaning over the bar, I grabbed a glass, broke it, and swung before he could even react. I'm good at that. I was the strongest and fastest 135 pounder you ever saw. Very work hardened. Pure God's work having those guys stop that swing. Made me feel bad. I apologized to my absolute favorite bar maid for breaking the glass and spilling stuff all over. Oh, Fran. I would have gotten a divorce and married her. Although she almost got me killed in there later with a group of large and rough surveyors from Wisconsin who were getting a little too drunk and rowdy. I was her protector, and she told them that. But I stayed until things settled down. Loved that woman.
Before that place, my favorites were the lowest dives in town. I changed my ways.
I never got that drunk or let myself get in that kind of position again.
I'm still pissed and that was almost 40 years ago.
But I have mellowed a bunch since my younger days.
Boston as*holes.
Again you opened your mouth and your ignorance did spew forth. You must have trained very hard to be so good at it.
Months ago I would have parsed that. I mean, I still see the sentences. They stand out. It's not easy being nice, Dave.

That was a cool story. I'd like to hear more.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#175413 Aug 24, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
Stop spamming.

Lamar, CO

#175414 Aug 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Months ago I would have parsed that. I mean, I still see the sentences. They stand out. It's not easy being nice, Dave.
That was a cool story. I'd like to hear more.
Up until then I was a happy drinker. Friendly, didn't go in with an attitude, and I had been in some rough places. Could sit and talk with anyone about anything. Never had any problems.

But that made me mean. Had to start going to nice places with pianos. Had to nurse my drinks. Bartenders got mad at me because of lost tips. If they had tits they got nice ones before I left, though.

But the thrill was gone. It wasn't fun anymore. I had lost my innocence. I started going to bowling alleys when on the road. Got good at it. My average was something like 270-280 raw. Bowled a 299 once. That was a cliffhanger. Caused me to go out and buy my own shoes and ball with ideations of going pro. But other things got in the way.

Wound up smoking dope to ease the pain caused by that Boston as*hole.

Goddamned Boston as*holes.

I hear that goddamned accent and I want to beat the hell out of them.

How was that?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#175415 Aug 24, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Some believers have higher I.Q. scores. My cousin is an example of a poorly educated atheist. He quit school to pursue his interest in partying, burning out more brain cells in the process. He denied the existence of God for years. After several years of mental health problems and a few hospitalizations, he wasn't any closer to a positive example of academic achievement. He had to apply for Social Security Disability, which is hardly a six-figure income.
Your statement is really nothing more than a carefully crafted superiority complex, and reveals a very superficial and linear understanding of theological concepts. You seem to have an aptitude for science, math, and music, but that could also be an indicator of
autism. It's well known that people with a sensory handicap such as blindness often develop a more highly developed sense of hearing and/or smell to compensate. In a likewise manner, some people with a "spiritual handicap" attempt to compensate for it with academic studies. Academic and intellectual achievement is a wonderful thing, but only until the point is reached where a person feels "superior" over others. At that point, humility itself is handicapped and crushed to death under the weight of self absorption.
Ahhh, no. As a general rule the better educated are likely to have better paying jobs. Also, the better educated are less likely to believe in a supernatural deity. One has nothing to do with the other, only a reflection on education levels.(Although the smarter among us are more likely to pursue academia).

Whether or not a person feels superior or humble has nothing to do with any of the above. There's always someone higher on the ladder to success and always somebody lower.

Grow some perspective, please.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#175416 Aug 24, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
True Mr Quantum man, but that is just you in your universe. Your universe is true to you, and you only. Amen to that. It is clear it sucks to be you why wish it upon others.
Because we took a vote and absolutely NOBODY wants to be like you ;0) But we like Poly, so......

Location hidden

#175417 Aug 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Up until then I was a happy drinker. Friendly, didn't go in with an attitude, and I had been in some rough places. Could sit and talk with anyone about anything. Never had any problems.
But that made me mean. Had to start going to nice places with pianos. Had to nurse my drinks. Bartenders got mad at me because of lost tips. If they had tits they got nice ones before I left, though.
But the thrill was gone. It wasn't fun anymore. I had lost my innocence. I started going to bowling alleys when on the road. Got good at it. My average was something like 270-280 raw. Bowled a 299 once. That was a cliffhanger. Caused me to go out and buy my own shoes and ball with ideations of going pro. But other things got in the way.
Wound up smoking dope to ease the pain caused by that Boston as*hole.
I hear that goddamned accent and I want to beat the hell out of them.
How was that?
It was good, Dave.

I'm not a critic, anymore. If you have a story to tell, tell it.

It's Topix. It's not like anybody is going to believe you, right?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#175418 Aug 24, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The above is in no way a valid counter-argument to Polymath's statements.
Fail.
Ahhh, but he has no counter-argument much less a valid point. Much like a child on a playground who thinks taunts are a sufficient answer. Tsk, tsk ;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#175419 Aug 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!!
I have posted about waking up in my death experience. This was after my physical consciousness, what we call our day to day thinking, had checked out and no viable way to continue had been presented. There was then an awakening in another dimension and consciousness, and a very strong desire to go back to sleep and dream again to escape it. Another existence was waiting for me as another type of being. I was looking at where I was to enter it. It didn't appeal to me. A very true and deep despair was experienced. I was enabled to return to this one. With some rewriting of events that had occurred.
Funny, Topix atheists base their non-belief on books they read, not on living experience.
You were close to death (as was I) with your synapsis misfiring and a dreamlike state ensuing as the brain starts to shut down. It's a physical experience and a neurological anomaly. Nothing more and nothing less.

I suppose the only difference between us is that I recognize a dream when I have one, even if it's a doozy. You on the other hand.....

Lamar, CO

#175420 Aug 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It was good, Dave.
I'm not a critic, anymore. If you have a story to tell, tell it.
It's Topix. It's not like anybody is going to believe you, right?
:-)

But it is all 100% true. Except for the turning to dope to ease the pain. The accent thing was a little accentuated.

Old Dave has been around a few blocks in a few different cities over a period of time and change. Many stories to tell, but they will go with me to my grave. Many too embarrassing to tell. Or even remember.

Dave understands how a dummy gets enlightened. Very experienced in the matter.:-)

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#175421 Aug 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The above is not an argument in any way.
But it is indicative of the sort of deceitful person you are-- since you seem to think up ways TO be deceitful.
Here is my argument again, since you cannot refute it-- you did not even try:
Quantum mechanics proves beyond any doubts, that an omniscient god cannot exist within the present universe.
Period.
That proves to 100% that your god isn't real.
But it's worse: the theory of relativity--well tested-- also proves beyond any doubts that an omniscient god is impossible in the present universe.
That's two.
The Heisenberg uncertainty principle? That's 3 proofs you cannot have an all-knowing god in the universe.
That's three-- there's more.
Bob you could have stopped with "that is not an argument" Bob I am not going to waste my time arguing with you. You nor, anyone else could prove there was no creator. Which is the topic of this tread. Find me on another tread and maybe we could debate. You have faith and you have a belief. The tread has nothing to do with my faith or having a belief. Bob in your backwards world. Someone whom confesses they have a faith in a belief needs to prove that belief to be fact, while you claim you have a fact. No Bob, it's the person claiming a fact that owes the proof.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175422 Aug 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I'm from the Boston area, do you have a problem with the hub of learning and artistic and scientific enlightenment? Perhaps a problem with sophistication and culture along with 5 championships sports teams. I am in fact an Atheist, I'm a *fan* of the Boston Bruins.
Somewhere in that vapid little mind of yours there is an apparent connection between Boston and Atheism, please squeeze that childish connection out for all to witness. Thanks!!
It's not childish we all know Boston Sucks. Could you pick a less optimistic belief, than atheism. You're drawn to what....

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#175423 Aug 25, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we took a vote and absolutely NOBODY wants to be like you ;0) But we like Poly, so......
Sure a bunch of clowns that spend way too much time online. I am glad you had your result as you did because you all are backwards, and your claim people with beliefs need to prove, while people claiming fats have nothing to prove, proves you're backwards. I insulted clowns every where.

Lamar, CO

#175424 Aug 25, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
You were close to death (as was I) with your synapsis misfiring and a dreamlike state ensuing as the brain starts to shut down. It's a physical experience and a neurological anomaly. Nothing more and nothing less.
I suppose the only difference between us is that I recognize a dream when I have one, even if it's a doozy. You on the other hand.....
You assume a lot.

I won't dwell on this anymore. Everyone will have their own personal experience when the time comes. I have not preached any religion to follow. I have tried to present it as something to consider in your plans for the future, the possibility your inner being will just poof out may not be correct. Read your books and make your own decisions. It is not up to me to really give a shit what you do in the end. Was my personal experience I threw up for others to look at. Just a normal human thing to do.

But I will not refrain from helping Topix atheists look stupid, antisocial, and/or nutcases. It has its pleasurable aspects. I'm only human. For the time being. I wish to enjoy it for the rest of this term.:-)

Location hidden

#175425 Aug 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
But it is all 100% true. Except for the turning to dope to ease the pain. The accent thing was a little accentuated.
Old Dave has been around a few blocks in a few different cities over a period of time and change. Many stories to tell, but they will go with me to my grave. Many too embarrassing to tell. Or even remember.
Dave understands how a dummy gets enlightened. Very experienced in the matter.:-)
I'm not a dummy Dave. I'm far from that. You know it.

Stories cease to be stories if they go to the grave with you.

It's dead air.

Say what you will. I'll support you until I don't. I almost promise.

Lamar, CO

#175426 Aug 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a dummy Dave. I'm far from that. You know it.
Stories cease to be stories if they go to the grave with you.
It's dead air.
Say what you will. I'll support you until I don't. I almost promise.
Yes, you know I know you aren't a dummy.

I just have bedtime stories left to tell, little one. I will tell them to you if you really, really want me to. But not on here.

But why don't you tell us your stories? You have a few judging from experiences and places you referred to in the past.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 25 min IB DaMann 9,636
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 29 min TeaRumpster 1,383,503
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Three Rounds 311,214
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) 20 hr Financial Consult... 6
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 hr Trojan 32,267
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) May 23 Ceren 39
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 22 01niner 201,860
More from around the web