Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#175059 Aug 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, my child? You have a question for me?
It will have to wait till morning. I'm going to bed. Good night.
I have a question, why can't you creationists grow some balls and:

1. Prove the gods your're here to lie about.
2. Stop attacking hard science we use everyday, when you can't even prove your god.
3. Correct your rag bible and remove the parts about atheists being fool - forever.

See if you are brave enough to challenge your cult leaders with the facts they are so frightened of?

You can't do any of this because you are a conscious liar for your cult.

You mental illness means you cannot confront the fact that you have no proof of god or accept that you're lying to complete strangers.

After your brainwashing by the creationist cult, you have lost all of your logical facilities.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#175060 Aug 20, 2013
Bible Study 101

The Bible means exactly what it says.

If what the Bible literally says contradicts your church's doctrine then it is figurative and must be interpreted to fit the church's doctrine.

If there are two contradictory statements in the Bible only the one that agrees with your church's doctrine is literal, the is figurative and must be interpreted to match the church's doctrine.

If you can't find support for a particular church doctrine then search for a passage that can be interpreted to match church doctrine.

Always invoke the Holy Spirit's guidance to back your interpretation, the Holy Spirit is never wrong and to argue against it is irrevocable damnation to eternal torment in Hell.

How to tell if your interpretation is of the Holy Spirit: The interpretation will match church doctrine.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#175061 Aug 20, 2013
I am so glad you have stopped pretending to be a Deist and not a fundie Christian. We all knew you were one Dave thanks for proving us right. Explain how countries that never embraced Christianity still have morals in fact many peoples who never accepted Christianity have better morals than the majority of you and your fellow Christians. You are really so senile to think that 2000 years of Christianity evolved everyone in world Christian or not?

Wow Senile Dave that is ultra low IQ even for you.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. I said you have them because of those generations of moral teachings by religion. It is part of your culture. You are an ethnic Christian whether you believe in Jesus or not. He won.

Louisville, KY

#175062 Aug 20, 2013
Holy effing sht you are in lala head injury land big time now.

SMH.

Seriously Gramps you really don't believe this right? You are trying to look ultra stupid on purpose right? You really aren't this ignorant right?

Right Dave?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No tribe, no political group exclusivity, nor even ritual worship. It was there, but it wasn't part of the teachings. It also ended blood sacrifices.
LCNlin

United States

#175063 Aug 20, 2013
Albert Einstein called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist.
Score one for agnostics!

Scratch an atheist and they often turn out to be agnostic. Richard Dawkins

waiting for proof of atheism,
take your time?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#175064 Aug 20, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Albert Einstein called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist.
Score one for agnostics!
take your time?
I am atheist.

That proof enough?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#175065 Aug 20, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I am atheist.
That proof enough?
you're dumb
Thinking

UK

#175066 Aug 20, 2013
Me too.

Atheism exists.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I am atheist.
That proof enough?
LCNlin

United States

#175067 Aug 20, 2013
Scratch an atheist and out pops Richard Dawkins and agnostic
LCNlin

United States

#175068 Aug 20, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you're dumb
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I am atheist.
That proof enough?

Not exactly proof :-)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#175069 Aug 20, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I know next to nothing about Physics, Quantum Theory, higher math, etc.
Time and determined study can probably fix that.
I often argue from the viewpoint of my experience and/or knowledge. Why these theological arguments usually wind up with bickering over a scientific point that leans neither towards or away from supernatural powers, I've never quite understood. Science can only deal with what can be proven.***shrugs***
This happens because theological arguments are often based on assumptions that can be shown to be wrong via science. For example, the 'first cause' argument is full of holes, both because the notion of causality is itself problematic and because it fails to prove what is claimed. The science can show how the argument fails by specific examples.
I DO know better than to argue from lack of comprehension (be it ignorance or stupidity), lol.
Which is far better than most who engage in theological arguments.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175070 Aug 20, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Score one for agnostics!
take your time?
You don't really understand what Dawkins was saying, do you? Or what "proof" means, hey.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175071 Aug 20, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you're dumb
Hard to tell, really. He's writing and not speaking.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#175072 Aug 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Time and determined study can probably fix that.
But not him.
Thinking

UK

#175073 Aug 20, 2013
Maybe two housebricks would?
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
But not him.
LCNlin

United States

#175074 Aug 20, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't really understand what Dawkins was saying, do you? Or what "proof" means, hey.
Defensive atheist,
seems to run in the religion,
oh sorry ....
NOT at religion
LOL

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#175075 Aug 20, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Scratch an atheist and out pops Richard Dawkins and agnostic
Scratch a christian and out pops Fred Phelbs and fundamentalistic christianity
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#175076 Aug 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>Time and determined study can probably fix that.
<quoted text>
This happens because theological arguments are often based on assumptions that can be shown to be wrong via science. For example, the 'first cause' argument is full of holes, both because the notion of causality is itself problematic and because it fails to prove what is claimed. The science can show how the argument fails by specific examples.
<quoted text>
Which is far better than most who engage in theological arguments.
please explain a bit more about your phrase "the notion of causality is itself problematic". I am a variety of determinist, and do not believe in free will. So I am intellectually for socalled punishment as restraint and deterrence, to prevent repeats and copycats - to the extent that a punishment does deter those actions (I do not think it always does, but I suspect it sometimes does - since I would be afraid to break a law and kill a very evil person, though I would feel it was moral to do so, to prevent that person from doing harm to me or others. For example, I would not want to be arrested and imprisoned, even for killing someone like Ted Cruz or Mitch McConnell, even if it were possible to do it. First of all, other evil men would replace them in the Senate. Secondly they would be martyrs, and it could cause more rightwing types to become activists. I am not sure whether I would have dared to kill a Hitler if I had the opportunity - though morally I think that is a case where one should have tried, if possible.)

So what is your view regarding free will and causality, and what are the other problems regarding causality that you meant? I know that after does not mean because of.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#175077 Aug 20, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Defensive atheist,
seems to run in the religion,
oh sorry ....
NOT at religion
LOL
Atheism is not a religion. Some atheists seem to be on the offensive, others may seem to be on the defensive. Others just take it for granted, and try to explain rather than to argue.
I think it may be a matter of personality, as much as viewpoint.

An atheist who is on the offensive is more likely to claim he knows that there is no God, and more likely to be harsher toward believers in general. As an agnostic atheist, I do not believe in a God but I certainly do not make a claim about knowing there isn't or having proof that there isn't. And as one who cares more about ethics, I care much more about the ethical views which are intertwined with one's theological views, than about the theological views themselves. A kind Christian is and OK person in my view, as long as the kindness is not just personal but also extends to that person's political activities and advocacy - i.e. there are good liberal social and economic justice Catholics in politics whom I like and admire. I also discriminate between a worse and better Pope, for example - former Pope ratty being a horrid person, and Pope John 23rd and the current one being better ones.
LCNlin

United States

#175078 Aug 20, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Scratch a christian and out pops Fred Phelbs and fundamentalistic christianity
In the United States the President
speaks of his faith.

How about Sweden,
Is the King an atheist?

Crown Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling were married on June 19, 2010, in Stockholm. In conjunction with the wedding, Daniel Westling was given the title H.R.H. Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland.

They had been married for 18 months when they had their first child. The new heir to the Swedish throne, Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary, was born at 04.26 on 24 February 2012, at Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm.
The King of Sweden

The king, Carl XVI Gustaf, is the seventh monarch of the House of Bernadotte. He was born on April 30, 1946, the fifth child and only son of Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Sibylla of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha. The crown prince died in a plane crash in Denmark the following year.

At the age of four, Carl Gustaf became crown prince of Sweden when his great-grandfather Gustaf V died and was succeeded by the then 68-year-old Gustaf VI Adolf, the crown prince’s grandfather.

Gustaf Adolf died after serving as monarch for 23 years, and the 27-year-old crown prince became King Carl XVI Gustaf in 1973.

His motto is “For Sweden – with the times.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min red and right 1,223,584
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 18 min tom wingo 29,713
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr cpeter1313 309,741
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Apr 29 Sauck freedom 6
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr 29 tom wingo 4
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 27 TerryE 5,306
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Apr 25 Yogurt Nads 82
More from around the web