Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243464 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173619 Aug 6, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Does not mean he was wrong about everything. Metaphor? What a laugh. the problem, once again is not with the evidence. The problem is with your excuses and your special pleading. Moving the goal posts. Dismissing it as metaphor when it is clearly written and understood as history. Like i said before your hopeless bias has crippled you.
All the buzzwords you toss out?

Do not PROVE that your Jesus-god was, in fact, A GOD.

Fail.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173620 Aug 6, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Well i think the experts would say Jesus existed and was crucified by Pilate.
"experts"? Do you mean "people who believe exactly as you do"?

LOL!

If Pilate **had** executed this "jesus" character? Where are the Roman records? They kept records of **olive oil sales**...

... they **certainly** would have had records of such an important personage as a religious **leader**.

But there are ... none such.

Interesting omission...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173621 Aug 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
fyi I don't click on your links.
<quoted text>
A wise move.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#173622 Aug 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed-- for the science behind the current earth's date to be **wrong**?
One thing would **not** work: nuclear power plants.
And smoke detectors.
Both rely on a stable half-life of an unstable isotope-- in the case of power plants, that would be U238 or Uranium (typically-- a very few use other metals, but uranium is the most common).
And for your common smoke detector? It relies on the short half-life of a small chunk of californium metal to ionize the smoke-- setting off the siren. Without that bit of radioactive metal? You'd have to change the batteries every week or so.
I believe it is americium, not californium.

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/sources/smoke_al...

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#173623 Aug 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nope you just lied and made excuses as why you won't accept them. There's even more of you want to see them and I listed 17 BTW you skipped some and will need to provide links for your claims otherwise they will be ignored as more of your fan fiction.
BTW the Phaedrus I mentioned was born 15bc died 50 AD. And yes he was a historian at the time in Jerusalem.
As for the rest of your claims I will await your links backing them up thanks.
There's always Seneca born 4bc died 65 AD and well known and respected.
<quoted text>
Your claim was that all 12 lived during the time of Jesus IN JERUSALEM. That was your specific claim. And now I'll provide all the links. The only reason I didn't do all 17 was to save you the embarrassment of being humiliated. You pulled writers out of their own time periods without even checking their biographies. Proof that you don't know how to do historical research. You're an embarrassment to academia and to atheism.

Once I provide these links, your humiliation will be complete and your reputation on this thread will be reduced to less than zero. And I normally don't engage in nor enjoy humiliating my opponents. However, in your case, I'll gladly do both.

1)Aulus Persius
http://hos.ou.edu/galleries//02LateAncient/Pe...

2)Columella
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/T...

3)Dio Chryscostom
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/T...

4)Justus of Tiberias
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/91...

5)Livy
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/l#a37...

6)Lucarius - I think you spelled it wrong, and you still didn't provide me with any source for him. I'll show you what I found in wikipedia. He was born in 740AD. That's about 740 years after Jesus. Really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucerius

7)Lucius Florus
http://www.livius.org/am-ao/annius/florus.htm...

8)Petronius
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/p#a17...
http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/petronius.html

9)Phaedrus
http://www.bookrags.com/biography/phaedrus/

10)Philo Judaeus
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/12...

11)Phlegon of Trailes
http://www.ancientlibrary.com/smith-bio/2670....
http://www.stoa.org/sol-bin//search.pl...

12)Plutarch
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/plutarch/

I can keep going if you really want me to.
LCN Llin

United States

#173624 Aug 6, 2013
Obsessive-compulsive disorder sufferers operate much like a computer program responding automatically with little thought.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#173625 Aug 6, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>Does not mean he was wrong about everything. Metaphor? What a laugh. the problem, once again is not with the evidence. The problem is with your excuses and your special pleading. Moving the goal posts. Dismissing it as metaphor when it is clearly written and understood as history. Like i said before your hopeless bias has crippled you.
Rofl!

Irony meter go BOOM!

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#173626 Aug 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
"experts"? Do you mean "people who believe exactly as you do"?
LOL!
If Pilate **had** executed this "jesus" character? Where are the Roman records? They kept records of **olive oil sales**...
... they **certainly** would have had records of such an important personage as a religious **leader**.
But there are ... none such.
Interesting omission...
Hi Bob! How is business going for you? I hope your health is improving. Now, about this assumption of yours. You're making some errors in your assertions.

1)You're assuming that Imperial Rome kept a record of everyone they executed. That's nonsense. A wandering Rabbi who set himself up as a king? Rome wouldn't waste the papyrus writing about it. During the Jewish rebellion of 66-70AD, they crucified so many Jews that they ran out of wood. Did they write about them too? Can you provide evidence that they kept meticulous records of everything they did? And if so, where would these records be housed? Assuming of course that they survived 2,000 plus years.

2) The whole bias charge doesn't work. A person can be biased in favor of or in opposition to a proposition, and still be correct about it. As I've said, nobody comes to this subject without bias. The fact that you're arguing against shows your bias.

C'mon Bob; you and Poly and Albtraum are the smartest here that represent the atheist side. Surely you must know there's a large measure of truth to what I say.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#173627 Aug 6, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Nice, thanks, didn't know that about the Universe for certain and didn't want to make a claim beyond my knowledge. Three decimal places as in, to three microseconds?

Geology could probably only go by once we had solid rocks - you'd need trapped radioactive material before you could date it. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to estimate how much of it decayed.
I think he meant significant digits. Not decimal places.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#173628 Aug 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I believe it is americium, not californium.

And in the south, it's 'Muricium.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#173629 Aug 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, with the wars from the end of the Old Kingdom, plagues would naturally follow as well as 'rivers running with blood'. That in no way supports the Exodus story. Do you want reports from other times when rivers ran with blood and there were plagues?
What reports? You need archeological evidence, remember? Reports are no good since according to you the ancients could not distinguish fact from fantasy. I can provide reports all day. I did ask you if you need archeological evidence to validate all of ancient history or just the history depicted in Scripture? No answer from you and no surprise there. You are so deep in denial one wonders about your so called commitment to truth and reality. When it comes to truth atheists have all the commitment of whores. They are more committed to protecting their atheism.
Finally, do you have any evidence of the *Exodus* from that time period?
The problem is not with the evidence. Why ask for what you will not accept? You can barely bring yourself to admit Jesus existed. Even if there was physical evidence it would be explained away by hyper skeptics who are too cowardly to handle truth. Did you know Bart Ehrman put Jesus mythers in the same category as holocaust deniers? You are practically right there with them.
Imhotep

United States

#173630 Aug 6, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
Sorry about the triple post. I don't know why it did that.
Satan thanks you for your support!

I live my life so that when my feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders in fear and says "OH For Christ's sake... he's awake!"

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173631 Aug 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it is americium, not californium.
You are likely correct-- I knew it was one of the artificial ones, named after the USA in one fashion or another.
:)

Alas, memory is not what it once was.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#173632 Aug 6, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> What reports? You need archeological evidence, remember? Reports are no good since according to you the ancients could not distinguish fact from fantasy.
You didn't listen to what I said. I said that the ancient were superstitious. That means that in some cases (not all), they attributed supernatural explanations when natural ones would have been better, but they didn't know about the natural ones. For example, I am more than willing to believe an ancient writer when they say that a battle was fought. I am not willing to believe them when they say that a deity provided them the victory.
I can provide reports all day. I did ask you if you need archeological evidence to validate all of ancient history or just the history depicted in Scripture? No answer from you and no surprise there.
As with everything in history, you have to consider the culture and expectations of the people at the time. You cannot expect people to have accurate history from 500 years before they write unless they have good sources. You cannot expect a superstitious people who believe in divine intervention to give accurate accounts of why plagues happened. You cannot expect people from 3000 years ago to give accurate accounts of effects they did not understand. You *can* expect those in power to 'adjust' history to suit their ends. You *can* expect those in power to select writings that support their power. And that is as true of the ancient Egyptians as the ancient Israelites as it is for many governments today.
You are so deep in denial one wonders about your so called commitment to truth and reality. When it comes to truth atheists have all the commitment of whores. They are more committed to protecting their atheism.
Garbage. You are committed to saying the Bible is correct and stretching anything to match your beliefs. Instead of looking for a commonplace explanation, you immediately jump to a supernatural one.
The problem is not with the evidence. Why ask for what you will not accept? You can barely bring yourself to admit Jesus existed.
I don't expect accurate accounts of itinerant preachers from 2000 years ago as told by the elite in a society. As with any writing from any time period, the writers had an agenda. They had a bias. Their writings did not come to us without copyists and interpreters. Like I said, I do not find it unbelievable that a preacher generally of the type described in the synoptic gospels existed at that time and place. In fact, we know of many. Furthermore, Jesus was a common enough name. I don't give it a 100% probability because there is no supporting archeology. But I would give it over a 50% chance. But so what? That in no way supports the resurrection story. It in no way supports the claim that he was god incarnate. And it in no way supports any of the rest of your mythology.
Even if there was physical evidence it would be explained away by hyper skeptics who are too cowardly to handle truth. Did you know Bart Ehrman put Jesus mythers in the same category as holocaust deniers? You are practically right there with them.
Sorry, I expect a bit higher quality evidence than mere history can give when the issue is one of supernatural effects. We *know* people are easily fooled and are superstitious. So any purported supernatural effects should be viewed with skepticism in any historical record.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173633 Aug 6, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Bob! How is business going for you? I hope your health is improving.
My health was always fine-- it was someone else's that affected my own scheduling.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173634 Aug 6, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
1)You're assuming that Imperial Rome kept a record of everyone they executed.
They did. The Romans were compulsive record-keepers. And keeping records of officially executed criminals would have been high on their list--

-- since they bothered to keep records of olive oil sales, keeping records of officially sanctioned deaths would have been routine.

Your argument is without merit.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#173635 Aug 6, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. We've all done that at one time or another. But those two have very different writing styles, and Polymath's pic is orange!
And yours is blue! No fair!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173636 Aug 6, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
2) The whole bias charge doesn't work. A person can be biased in favor of or in opposition to a proposition, and still be correct about it. As I've said, nobody comes to this subject without bias. The fact that you're arguing against shows your bias.
False again.

I am **skeptical** not biased.

There **is** a difference.

I would very much **love** for there to be a generous, caring deity watching over humans' ultimate fate.

The **facts** say otherwise: preventable evil is too abundant. But not so abundant that an **evil** god is at-hand.

The bottom line? Even if a historical jew named "jesus" existed?

That in **no** way proves he was ...

... even a tiny bit...

... a god.

The most **damning** omission from the world, if your Jesus **was** a god?

Is this: where is **his** testimony,**his** writings for future generations?

God, remember? He would **know** and **understand** the severely critical **importance** of his legacy to future generations.

More, he would have foreseen all the **evil** done by a **false** testimony-- or even a partially corrupted one!

WHERE IS THE WRITINGS FROM JESUS HIMSELF?

No-- if he lived at all? He was most **certainly** just a human.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173637 Aug 6, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And in the south, it's 'Muricium.
LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#173638 Aug 6, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> What reports? You need archeological evidence, remember? Reports are no good since according to you the ancients could not distinguish fact from fantasy. I can provide reports all day. I did ask you if you need archeological evidence to validate all of ancient history or just the history depicted in Scripture? No answer from you and no surprise there. You are so deep in denial one wonders about your so called commitment to truth and reality. When it comes to truth atheists have all the commitment of whores. They are more committed to protecting their atheism.
<quoted text> The problem is not with the evidence. Why ask for what you will not accept? You can barely bring yourself to admit Jesus existed. Even if there was physical evidence it would be explained away by hyper skeptics who are too cowardly to handle truth. Did you know Bart Ehrman put Jesus mythers in the same category as holocaust deniers? You are practically right there with them.
Nothing you are whining about, in the above?

Constitutes PROOF that your jesus was ...

... in fact...

... a GOD.

Nothing.

Fail.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min Bluestater 1,252,099
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 17 hr Earthling-1 6,277
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... 18 hr GoGoGrandMaHillary 1,653
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... Sat Fartman 2
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat tom wingo 29,828
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul 2 Fartman 24
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 30 KeS 201,820
More from around the web