Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#172883 Jul 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://washington.cbslocal.com /2013/07/23/poll-majority-of-a mericans-believe-god-played-ro le-in-human-evolution/
God and evolution.
Further evidence for the lack of scientific education is this country. A sad testimony to our failed education system. That the majority remain ignorant to the facts of evolution and replace it with mythical beings and magical places is further proof of how religion poisons everything. Of course there was a time when the majority believed the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth, that sickness was caused by evil spirits and demons, and Thunder and lightning were caused by any Gods. Thankfully science has put those false belief to rest, as it will with fictitious beings and magical places.
Thinking

UK

#172884 Jul 24, 2013
British Indian food is its own cuisine. Primarily cooked by Bangladeshis, and shaped by a clientele hankering for curries from their past, it's quite different to the Indian food you get in the US.

Indian restaurants became popular as somewhere to get a drink after the pubs shut if you didn't fancy going to a nightclub. In some places, the food was almost an afterthought. Now, having put up with abusive drunk people for years, Indian restaurants are highly regarded and pleasant.

In my two closest towns, our Mexican restaurants have recently shut, but new, smarter curry houses are opening all the time.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
I can easily understand the appeal-- I rather like Indian food.
But around these parts? It's all Mexico baby! We Oklahomanians love us our Mexican cuisine.
We even eat it as fast food....!
:)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#172885 Jul 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
I'll let you slide on that question. I know you aren't on here to impress anyone with your brains.
Developed thoughts, in addition to material creatures, require a seed to sprout from. Sorry about your crop failure.
<The Dave Nelson> " I'm a tomato... "

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#172886 Jul 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Amusing.
<The Dave Nelson> {*plays with spittle*}
Believer

Manchester, TN

#172887 Jul 24, 2013
LiddySays wrote:
There is no possible way for any of us to know how we ended up here. Religion is full of fairy tales, science is full of theories... So, in my opinion, it is futile to argue about it. Let people believe what they want if that's what makes them feel a little better about dying... Because that's what it all comes down to in the end. DEATH! The unknown! Do we continue on? Or is it really the end?! The only one's who know the answer are not here to give it to us. But in my opinion, if there were nothing after life, then life itself is meaningless. And there is a reason for everything. IDK, if this came out the way I intended(I'm half drunk)=) But if you can find any living thing on this planet that does not have a purpose, then my theory is debunked!
Just jumped on. This is a good place for an Amen, I believe!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172888 Jul 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
Oh, I get it-- you think slavery--**eternal** slavery is amusing?

You would-- must be that bigotry so common among you Genuine Christholes™.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172889 Jul 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Developed thoughts, in addition to material creatures, require a seed to sprout from. Sorry about your crop failure.
Bullshit.

But that's your best move, apart from outright lying, is BS.

Isn't it?

Your pathetic attempts to denigrate your enemies-- to show them some "love" (in the Orwellian sense, naturally)falls flat.

Your Jewsus would be so **not** proud of you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172890 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
British Indian food is its own cuisine. Primarily cooked by Bangladeshis, and shaped by a clientele hankering for curries from their past, it's quite different to the Indian food you get in the US.
Perhaps. The only Indian food I have had here-- and it's not common at all-- was prepared by ex-pat Indians, cooking the food of their homeland.

With a concession to the American demand for meat, naturally-- not something you'd ordinarily see in India.

I always ordered one of the meatless menu items, in an effort to enjoy as close to Indian food as I'll ever come.:D

Very tasty. I did not miss the meat at all.
Thinking wrote:
Indian restaurants became popular as somewhere to get a drink after the pubs shut if you didn't fancy going to a nightclub. In some places, the food was almost an afterthought. Now, having put up with abusive drunk people for years, Indian restaurants are highly regarded and pleasant.
Interesting. Here? If you want to get drunk, a visit to the local quickie-mart for a 12 pack of the local skunk-water, and back home to watch some NASCAR on the TV-box...

<laughing>
Thinking wrote:
In my two closest towns, our Mexican restaurants have recently shut, but new, smarter curry houses are opening all the time.
<quoted text>
Too bad about the Mexican places-- that food is good, IMO.

;)

It's pretty difficult to locate any authentic Indian fare hereabouts, apart from the super-swanky places. So I don't get to frequent them very much at all.

But I have Mexican several times a week. It's a lovely variety from my usual sandwich.
Alarice

Buffalo, NY

#172891 Jul 24, 2013
Imagination gave birth to evolution

Thinking

UK

#172892 Jul 24, 2013
I love our Indian restaurants. From breaking a stack of poppadoms to drinking draught Cobra with a King prawn Pathia - excellent.

If you talk to Indians in the know, they will say that curry is a made up word, it is not authentic, but now it has a life of its own.

I was living near Birmingham when the Balti craze started - food served in little metal buckets instead of plates. There's always something happening with this cuisine.

I do like Mexican, but I can easily cook it better myself. UK Mexican restaurants are not cheap - which misses the point. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to US friends.

If you want an authentic British meal - go to an Indian restaurant.
<quoted text>
Perhaps. The only Indian food I have had here-- and it's not common at all-- was prepared by ex-pat Indians, cooking the food of their homeland.
With a concession to the American demand for meat, naturally-- not something you'd ordinarily see in India.
I always ordered one of the meatless menu items, in an effort to enjoy as close to Indian food as I'll ever come.:D
<quoted text>
Interesting. Here? If you want to get drunk, a visit to the local quickie-mart for a 12 pack of the local skunk-water, and back home to watch some NASCAR on the TV-box...
<laughing>
<quoted text>
;)
It's pretty difficult to locate any authentic Indian fare hereabouts, apart from the super-swanky places. So I don't get to frequent them very much at all.
But I have Mexican several times a week. It's a lovely variety from my usual sandwich.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172893 Jul 24, 2013
Alarice wrote:
Imagination gave birth to evolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UMR_CGp4KaYXX
So?

Scientific evolution is **fact***-- it happened.

Deal with it.

There is also the **theory** of evolution, which explains the **fact** of evolution.

The theory has more fact-based support than the theory of gravity.

In direct contrast to god-- which has ...?

That's right: ZERO facts in support.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#172894 Jul 24, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<laughing>
<quoted text>
;)
One of the things I do miss about Britain.

A good Brit-style tandoori. Or vindaloo.

That, and the old-style corner chipper - fish-an'-chips, soaked in grease and malt vinegar, wrapped in newspaper.

Drat, now I'm all hongry.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172895 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I love our Indian restaurants. From breaking a stack of poppadoms to drinking draught Cobra with a King prawn Pathia - excellent.
If you talk to Indians in the know, they will say that curry is a made up word, it is not authentic, but now it has a life of its own.
I was living near Birmingham when the Balti craze started - food served in little metal buckets instead of plates. There's always something happening with this cuisine.
Interesting. I suppose it's like Belgium-- do they server waffles, and if so, what do they call'em?

<laughing>
Thinking wrote:
I do like Mexican, but I can easily cook it better myself. UK Mexican restaurants are not cheap - which misses the point. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to US friends.
LOL!

'mexican' is quite easy to duplicate, I agree. And it can range anywhere from super-simple and bland to quite complex and sophisticated-- not to mention, spicy as a volcano.

I suppose it's one reason why I like it so much-- you can get variety out of the same basic menu items, by mixing things up.
Thinking wrote:
If you want an authentic British meal - go to an Indian restaurant.
<quoted text>
LOL! I'll remember that.
Thinking

UK

#172896 Jul 24, 2013
It's funny to think that Vindaloo (the Portuguese for wine and garlic) did not exist before chilies made their way East from the Americas. Indian food without chilies or potato...

Can't remember the last time I saw newspaper used in the chippy - they use blank recycled paper these days. Shame really, I love the expression, "Today's news, tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper!"
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>One of the things I do miss about Britain.
A good Brit-style tandoori. Or vindaloo.
That, and the old-style corner chipper - fish-an'-chips, soaked in grease and malt vinegar, wrapped in newspaper.
Drat, now I'm all hongry.

The Borderland of Sol

#172897 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It's funny to think that Vindaloo (the Portuguese for wine and garlic) did not exist before chilies made their way East from the Americas. Indian food without chilies or potato...
Can't remember the last time I saw newspaper used in the chippy - they use blank recycled paper these days. Shame really, I love the expression, "Today's news, tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper!"
<quoted text>
I go back a long way. And I'm a traditionalist - I still think most rifles should be loaded from the front.

Wait, High Wycombe? I used to work in Gerrard's Cross... partway to all those tiresome Chalfonts.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172898 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:

<quoted text>
Did they really use old newspapers? I always thought that was a kind of urban legend.

Here, years-and-years ago, there was a (now defunct) chain called "Aurthur Treacher's Fish n' Chips".

And they did line their serving trays (a little cardboard boat/basket thingy) with American-Inspector-approved paper.

But it had been euphemistically printed with "news". I used to read the "news", as it was all of the joke variety.

Alas, that chain did not survive the turmoil of the '80's.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172900 Jul 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I go back a long way. And I'm a traditionalist - I still think most rifles should be loaded from the front.
Wait, High Wycombe? I used to work in Gerrard's Cross... partway to all those tiresome Chalfonts.
Never fired a front-loader m'self.

(weird... Topix wanted to censor "bl#ck powder"...!)

The Borderland of Sol

#172901 Jul 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Never fired a front-loader m'self.
(weird... Topix wanted to censor "bl#ck powder"...!)
Smokepoles are fun. Messy, but hey.

And the Topix robocensor is an idiot.

The Borderland of Sol

#172902 Jul 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Did they really use old newspapers? I always thought that was a kind of urban legend.
Here, years-and-years ago, there was a (now defunct) chain called "Aurthur Treacher's Fish n' Chips".
And they did line their serving trays (a little cardboard boat/basket thingy) with American-Inspector-approved paper.
But it had been euphemistically printed with "news". I used to read the "news", as it was all of the joke variety.
Alas, that chain did not survive the turmoil of the '80's.
Newspaper, as issued, is actually sterile. Combination of heat and the bleaching process, I think.

As an aside, urine (as issued from an undiseased bladder) is also sterile. Capstick relates an incident where a native assistant saved another's eyesight by peeing in his eyes, after he took a hit from a spitting cobra.

Coupla useful first-aid tips.

Laffin.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#172903 Jul 24, 2013
<quoted text>
But the banning engine appears to be automatic to a degree.
Sufficient reportings gets a poster banned, it appears.
A former poster-- a Genuine Christian™, who went by "atheism is evil" got himself banned.
Hey Bob
QQ
You refer to banning... can I assume this only applies to people who join topix?
What, if any, is the benefit of joining?

Although I do not watch FOXNews O'Reilly from time to time does have something worthwhile.

This off-topic piece from O'Reilly is very insightful in my opinion what do you think?

http://www.billoreilly.com/video...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 39 min Patriot 1,155,778
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Brian_G 307,068
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Bruin For Life 28,455
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 3 hr Sgt Prepper 2,736
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 12 hr ivyawe 1
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 17 hr Bently 201,187
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) Wed Lora_14 10
More from around the web