Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#172858 Jul 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If only your god hadn't cursed us with all those languages...
<quoted text>
Quite an amazing lack of foresight.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#172859 Jul 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think what you are missing is that our desires do not determine truth, but they *do* determine morality. Any deity that allows the suffering in the word, especially the suffering that is NOT man-made, to continue is either not all-powerful, not all-knowing, or not all-good. Even if such a deity exists, it would be unworthy of worship. Fear and contempt are possibilities, but not worship or even 'trust'.
Amusing.

Tell us what suffering in this world is NOT ultimately man-made.

What you are missing, at least in the Abrahamic tradition, is that man was created to mind the garden, to maintain it and the world. The garden and all the little animals. He got fired and was tossed out to scratch out his own living.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172860 Jul 23, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
You have faith that you are right about there being no God.
nope. All I ask?

Is for PROOF that your god is REAL.

You have NO PROOF of ANY kind.

So you abuse me with your hateful ugly postings....

... and the above? Is all I read of your ugly today.

Buh-bye.
xianity is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#172861 Jul 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
What you are missing, at least in the Abrahamic tradition, is that man was created to mind the garden, to maintain it and the world. The garden and all the little animals. He got fired and was tossed out to scratch out his own living.
did man made earthquakes and tsunamis,volcanic eruptions,,,how about mosquitos and diseases?

someones missing something indeed,,and its you Bucko...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#172862 Jul 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
What garden you moron? I guess you're one of the clowns that pulls the easy tab while having a grip on the no slip intelligent designed banana, you know because it fit's your hand, and plugs your pie hole perfectly , and even has the curve toward your face. Doofus!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172863 Jul 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If MaccyDs were trying to target our tastes, they're getting it wrong now. 70% of sit down restaurant meals on a Saturday night in Britain are Indian.
<quoted text>
Really?

I can easily understand the appeal-- I rather like Indian food.

But around these parts? It's all Mexico baby! We Oklahomanians love us our Mexican cuisine.

We even eat it as fast food....!

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172864 Jul 23, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see this as an excuse. I see this as being true. I'm convinced that it's the most reasonable explanation in a very difficult subject.
I'm not going to sit here and tell you something that goes against what I believe.
And the reason I mentioned the podcast is because it may be able to answer your question about why Jesus did what He did in far better a manner than I could. And I think that God doesn't have to be direct to reach us. Rather, we need to understand that He works through humans, not independent of humans. That's not to say that He can't, but that He chooses not to.
I'm just telling you what I believe. I think your expectations are too high based upon a number of factors:
1) Biblical literalism. Proof-texting. In our modern practice of literacy, everything is read literally. Everything must be explicitly spelled out for us. This is the great tragedy of our modern time. Everything has to be dumbed down. The bible is not immune to this phenomenon. That's why I believe we see so many translations. We keep dumbing it down to suit the time and cultural span between us and ancient Israel.
2) Distorted view because of contrasting differences in cultures which is affected by biblical literalism. A great example of this is your argument that Paul speaks of a spiritual resurrection and not a physical one. This goes against ancient Judaic beliefs about the resurrection at the end of the world. Ancient Jews expected a bodily resurrection, not a spiritual resurrection. If they expected a spiritual resurrection, then there wouldn't have been an empty tomb to discuss.
3) This distortion when contrasted against your ideal shows you a god that is ineffective and therefore must not exist. This is simply a mistaken ideal of what you think God should do. Are you saying that God should dumb it down and require no effort on our part? Is that what you would do? If that's what you believe God should do, then where is our incentive to learn through experience? Experience is the best teacher.
These aren't intended to be offensive critiques. These are my beliefs according to my understanding. If I've misrepresented anything you've said, please let me know. Understanding you is key to this dialogue.
I understand all of what you write, above-- I once wasn't that far from where you are now, myself.

But I've come to realize?

That if the **consequences** of a given action are serious?

Then any and all actions leading up to said consequences?

Better be quite clear.

Let's take a side-road for a second.

On an airplane, there are emergency doors, that can be opened in the event of a ... well... emergency.

These doors are **never** camouflaged,**never** made either secret or hidden in any way-- they are clearly marked--usually in distinctive colors.

Even though it could possibly be **interesting** to have to puzzle out how they opened?

The **consequences** of hiding an emergency exit are too grim to make a game of it, in the event it must be utilized.

So, too with your claims of supernatural!

The **consequences** are ... infinite!

There can be **no** room for a mistake, here!

And for a god who is JUST?

I expect nothing less than CLEARLY marked "exit here" signs.

The bible simply does not qualify in **any** regard to that one.

Thus?

Any god who relies on the bible?

UNJUST.

... period. There can be no spin on this one.

The consequences are too extreme.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172865 Jul 23, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It's real, a quick search on google will pull up several occasions where McDs has been on the receiving end of French farmers waste disposal plans. I guess I was just lucky to be there at the time.
Too funny!

Thanks, again for the story.

I'm still laughing a bit about it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172866 Jul 23, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
You're lying to yourself.
And you?

You continue to display the exact OPPOSITE of love, here.

What is that beneath your name?

"Jesus is Love"?

Perhaps you mean it as ironic?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172867 Jul 23, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>hate speech is not a violation of topix TOS.
good luck with that report.
But my main point was to pass this along to you and others.
Two days ago I signed up for membership on the New Republic website and was accepted. I then posted a response pointing out the errors in their anti gay stance and unchristian like behavior based on 103 Bible verses on Obeying Authority
http://www.openbible.info/topics/obeying_auth ...
today I just found my privileges on their site have been revoked.
Color me not surprised!
I am an editor here on Topix. I edit 3 forums. Ever since the SCOTUS decision and this sudden 'upgrade' to the website, I no longer can access the editors tools on two forums (FL and Religion). Yet Topix insists I am still an editor there. I have had no problems on the 3rd forum (the G&L) however.
Backlash or glitch?
But the banning engine appears to be automatic to a degree.

Sufficient reportings gets a poster banned, it appears.

A former poster-- a Genuine Christian™, who went by "atheism is evil" got himself banned.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172868 Jul 23, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
In what way should God have delivered His message?
You think so very, very small.

And as a result? Your god is also very, very small.

Were **I** to be looking for a message from.. a god?

I expect nothing less than a Spiritual Message across the face of the moon itself.

In special Divine Language, that no matter what, anyone who looks, sees and immediately comprehends the message.

Even illiterate folk--or even blind folk. Anyone who is directed to look towards the moon, and has a desire to see the message, sees it.

But not every day-- that would mess up the view.

Only on special days-- say, only on a Sunday night, and only when the moon is full?

Now,**that** would be Godly.

I think a god **should** act Godly.

All this cryptic mojo? Is unseeming. It is as if this god is ***deliberately** trying to mislead folk!

A trick-- or a deliberate lie.

Not worthy of ...

... a God.

But expected of a minor godling without much power...

... or even of one who's just a figment.

Location hidden

#172869 Jul 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What garden you moron? I guess you're one of the clowns that pulls the easy tab while having a grip on the no slip intelligent designed banana, you know because it fit's your hand, and plugs your pie hole perfectly , and even has the curve toward your face. Doofus!
The one the seeds were planted in, dummy.

Tell me when man, or any other living creature appeared without growing from a seed of some sort.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172870 Jul 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how the actual way that God chooses to do things is indistinguishable from non-existence.
Exactly!

I would expect **exactly** that sort from a **deceiver**.

An **evil** god, in short.

But there is plenty of **good** things going around, to show that an evil god is unlikely.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172871 Jul 23, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
I'll be on vacation for a week starting this evening. I wish everyone a good week filled with peace and prosperity.
Peace!

I hope you enjoy your time off-- try not to get mosquito-bitten!

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172872 Jul 23, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite an amazing lack of foresight.
Indeed, it is.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172873 Jul 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
What a horrid fairy-tale!

Your god? Simply wanted a **slave** to labor for free-- and feed the god's massive EGO, of course.

When that didn't work out? Tossed him out with nary a backward glance....

.....!!

What a petty and selfish little tyrant your god is.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#172874 Jul 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The one the seeds were planted in, dummy.
Tell me when man, or any other living creature appeared without growing from a seed of some sort.
Um , I'm pretty sure I came from a egg and sperm.
Not really a seed, but you want me to believe a man came from a mud pie, ans a woman from a bone. It's the mud bone hypothesis, and after hearing it....Abiogenesis sounds possible, while mud bone sounds crazy.

Location hidden

#172875 Jul 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Um , I'm pretty sure I came from a egg and sperm.
Not really a seed, but you want me to believe a man came from a mud pie, ans a woman from a bone. It's the mud bone hypothesis, and after hearing it....Abiogenesis sounds possible, while mud bone sounds crazy.
"8. A source or beginning; a germ.
9. Offspring; progeny.
10. Family stock; ancestry.
11. Sperm; semen."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/seed

I didn't say you, dumbass.

You attempted to deflect the question.
25or6to4

Fond Du Lac, WI

#172876 Jul 23, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
In what way should God have delivered His message? Should He have waited for radio and satellite television to be invented? Should He just appear suddenly and without warning with a cosmic megaphone?
Should He use subliminal messages, dreams, visions?
What language should it be in? Every language or just the ones important to modern Western civilization?
In what time period should He appear? Should He appear just in our own time because we're the only people that matter? Are all those ancient bronze age goat herders unworthy of such an important message? Why should He just appear in China? Are only the Chinese people worthy?
Should He appear in human form or as a lion or as a penguin?
Should God forcefully (like a tyrant) compel men to write or subtly and peacefully? Should He tamper with their personalities or allow them to write in accordance with their capabilities and personalities?
Should He just stand up and make an announcement every 10 minutes and strike something with lightning? Should He ring a bell like a town crier from the 17th and 18th centuries?
Should He interrupt our favorite TV shows with live updates and assume that we'll all come flocking to His call?
How would you do it?
This exchange presumes that God is like a person; that God wants to communicate, has plans, and gets angry if we don't listen to his messages. Why should God be thought of as a person? Is it because we like to project our own experience of reality on some "ultimate reality?" Can God just be some little-understood force, without human emotions? Without human prejudices? Without needing to really "care" at all what goes on in our small brains? I think the major fault of all religions is that they construct an image of God to support pre-existing prejudices and desires. I cannot believe in any notion of God other than total. utter, and unapproachable mysteriousness.

Location hidden

#172877 Jul 23, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
What a horrid fairy-tale!
Your god? Simply wanted a **slave** to labor for free-- and feed the god's massive EGO, of course.
When that didn't work out? Tossed him out with nary a backward glance....
.....!!
What a petty and selfish little tyrant your god is.
Amusing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 13 min Fair Game 1,510
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 30 min woodtick57 1,125,469
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 32 min Bruin For Life 27,914
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr cpeter1313 306,230
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 4 hr Becky 449
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Oct 17 Mary Downformore 201,187
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps Oct 16 jambycatherine 1

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE