Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258040 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172974 Jul 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Go ahead, annoy the DM.
It's your soul."
Laffin. Once upon a time, yes, even I went there.
I had one idiot, who was a friend of a friend, who had a thief/assassin.

That was fine-- thieves are a long tradition after all.

But this idiot insisted he could "assassinate" a monster-- mid-dungeon crawl!

WTF?

He was one of those rule-book "lawyer" types. I tried to reason with him-- as the DM, my world-- my rules.

He wasn't having any... he insisted, in spite of the description indicating that assassination was something that required at least a modicum of prep-work and planning, and wasn't "just another way to attack in melee".

So.

A few turns later? Imagine that-- the mother-of-all piercers dropped out of the cave-ceiling, onto his assassin character.

Rule 1 of D&D: never argue with the DM, who **literally** controls the gods of the campaign.

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172975 Jul 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Some DMs were humourless.
"No, you can't call your character 'Eric the Cleric'. This isn't all a bloody joke, you know. You must give him a different name."
"How about Derek?"
"Get out."
<quoted text>
LOL!

Took himself a wee bit too seriously, did he?

LOL!

“Jon Snow”

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#172976 Jul 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Sorry, it *is* grotesquely unfair to black male teens.

You tell me whats unfair.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172977 Jul 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Those people are like religious nuts, Those people hate uber too, obviously you don't want to name your character Jon Luke Piccard to play in LOTRs , but who gives a rats ass if you did? LOL I remember a Russian that had a chara named
Windows XP...lmao
Windows XP? That's a hoot.

I always enjoyed joke-name characters myself.

I had a whole string of second-tier fighters named after various cuts of beef.. the last one named "Hamburger" before the DM caught on that running a second-rate character with super-crap stats wasn't much fun. So these toons would get sent up front, into the meat grinder...

... the first one was named after an obscure sausage, naturally.

:)

When we finally disbanded, I still had me an 18th level Druid named Balsawood, though. He became one of my favorite toons to play.

He started out rather poorly, but just would not die...

... <grin>
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

#172978 Jul 25, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>and no whites are protesting this story either:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-574347...
We are a land of laws and the law was served.

On a sidenote GZ is opening a new candy:
ACQUITTALS

Not available in chocolate.

Here is an insightful piece by Bill Cosby.

http://www.californiaindianeducation.org/indi...

We Cannot Blame the White People any Longer

By Dr. William Henry 'Bill' Cosby, Jr., Ed.D.

They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English.

I can't even talk the way these people talk:
"Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...".

And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk.
And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth.
In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an Education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around.
The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.

These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids.
$500 sneakers for what?
And they won't spend $200 for "Hooked on Phonics."

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.
Where were you when he was 2?
Where were you when he was 12?
Where were you when he was 18, and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol?

And where is the father? Or who is his father?
People putting their clothes on backward. Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?

People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something?

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles (piercings) going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from?

We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa.
I say this all of the time — it would be like white people saying they are European-American — that is totally stupid.

I was born here, and so were my parents and grand parents and, very likely my great grandparents. I don't have any connection to Africa, no more than white Americans have to Germany, Scotland, England, Ireland, or the Netherlands.

The same applies to 99 percent of all the black Americans as regards to Africa — so stop, already!

With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap...and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.

We have got to take the neighborhood back.
People used to be ashamed.
Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands'— or men or whatever you call them now.

We have millionaire football players who cannot read.
We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs.

We, as black folks, have to do a better job.
Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.

We have to start holding each other to a higher standard....
It's NOT about color...It's about behavior!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172979 Jul 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the shooter was black, he would have been arrested immediately and ultimately found guilty in spite of SYG. That didn't happen with Zimmerman, which is why there was an issue.
Let's put it a different way. Suppose your daughter was walking home alone and a strange man followed along in a car. The man then gets out of the car and want to know what your daughter wanted around there. Is it safe to assume she would at first ignore the stranger? If the stranger then got upset and confronted your daughter, would she not fight back? And if the stranger *at any point* felt scared, would he have the right to shoot your daughter?
The system isn't grotesquely unfair to black male teens. If the races were switched, the black man shooting the white teenager would have had a 20 year sentence. Sort of like the woman who shot *into the air* to warn off her *abusive* husband. oh, she was black. I guess SYG doesn't apply to her.
Exactly.

But even still? SYG law is effed up most severely-- it rewards people who **kill** their alleged "attackers".

Thus encouraging people to do exactly that, instead of

... say...

.... firing warning shots instead...

... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172980 Jul 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Angela Corey is the one catching the hell from Rep Brown. She is the DA who crucified Marissa Alexander. She should never have been charged. Lots of people are real upset with Ms. Corey's liberal style.
So?

The woman **should** have been able to get off scott FREE, just like Zimmerman did-- she Stood Her Ground.

Yet, because she is **black** and even worse, a **woman** she gets 20 years?

It has **nothing** to do with liberalism-- and has EVERYTHING to do with how the laws are applied vis a vis RACE.

For that?

You have to thank conservitards and the ReThuglicans.

After all-- Jewsus was **white**, right?

... right?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#172981 Jul 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I had one idiot, who was a friend of a friend, who had a thief/assassin.
That was fine-- thieves are a long tradition after all.
But this idiot insisted he could "assassinate" a monster-- mid-dungeon crawl!
WTF?
He was one of those rule-book "lawyer" types. I tried to reason with him-- as the DM, my world-- my rules.
He wasn't having any... he insisted, in spite of the description indicating that assassination was something that required at least a modicum of prep-work and planning, and wasn't "just another way to attack in melee".
So.
A few turns later? Imagine that-- the mother-of-all piercers dropped out of the cave-ceiling, onto his assassin character.
Rule 1 of D&D: never argue with the DM, who **literally** controls the gods of the campaign.
:D
*snicker*

I know.

I once hand to drop one of Zelazny's Rakasha on an obnoxious player.

Fried him on the spot, of course.

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#172982 Jul 25, 2013
<quoted text>
So?
The woman **should** have been able to get off scott FREE, just like Zimmerman did-- she Stood Her Ground.
Yet, because she is **black** and even worse, a **woman** she gets 20 years?
It has **nothing** to do with liberalism-- and has EVERYTHING to do with how the laws are applied vis a vis RACE.
For that?
You have to thank conservitards and the ReThuglicans.
After all-- Jewsus was **white**, right?
... right?
No it had everything to do with her being the aggressor, and her being able to leave, but instead of leaving getting a gun and returning. The Husband didn't have her pinned to the ground. She was clearly in the wrong. Also she was offer a plea bargain because of the gun laws there were so strict, a gun used in a crime mandated a a life sentence, she refused was found guilty and got the mandatory life sentence. The whole scenario is HER fault, and she could have taken the plea gotten 3 years probably even suspended and probation. You cant leave go get a gun and come back saying your life is in danger. That's bullshit.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#172983 Jul 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No it had everything to do with her being the aggressor, and her being able to leave, but instead of leaving getting a gun and returning. The Husband didn't have her pinned to the ground. She was clearly in the wrong. Also she was offer a plea bargain because of the gun laws there were so strict, a gun used in a crime mandated a a life sentence, she refused was found guilty and got the mandatory life sentence. The whole scenario is HER fault, and she could have taken the plea gotten 3 years probably even suspended and probation. You cant leave go get a gun and come back saying your life is in danger. That's bullshit.
The whole Zimmerman case was *Zimmerman's* fault. If he hadn't followed Martin *after being told not to* and *initiated* the encounter, Martin would still be alive. And that isn't even dealing with the gun law aspect.

Lamar, CO

#172985 Jul 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No it had everything to do with her being the aggressor, and her being able to leave, but instead of leaving getting a gun and returning. The Husband didn't have her pinned to the ground. She was clearly in the wrong. Also she was offer a plea bargain because of the gun laws there were so strict, a gun used in a crime mandated a a life sentence, she refused was found guilty and got the mandatory life sentence. The whole scenario is HER fault, and she could have taken the plea gotten 3 years probably even suspended and probation. You cant leave go get a gun and come back saying your life is in danger. That's bullshit.
I didn't know that case went down that way. She was definitely wrong. The article I read was where Corrine Brown was raging against Corey. It didn't get into the details. But Corey does appear to be quite the bitch.

The Borderland of Sol

#172986 Jul 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Exactly.
But even still? SYG law is effed up most severely-- it rewards people who **kill** their alleged "attackers".
Thus encouraging people to do exactly that, instead of
... say...
.... firing warning shots instead...
... meh.
In the interest of accuracy, I used to teach that carry stuff.

The VERY FIRST rule was "don't even touch the gun unless you're in enough danger to kill".

Brandishing, shooting to wound, and warning shots were right OUT.

If you need it enough to pull it, you need it enough to put two in his head - otherwise, run away screaming.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172987 Jul 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No it had everything to do with her being the aggressor, and her being able to leave, but instead of leaving getting a gun and returning.
Not the way the **law** is written-- it does not matter.

Had she **killed** him instead? She'd likely be a free woman even now.

Zimmerman aggressively **followed** the black student-- pursued and then shot the kid.

It is **exactly** the same thing.

Except that **she** is both black and a woman...

... so:(in the voice of the Soup Nazi): No Justice For You!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172988 Jul 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole Zimmerman case was *Zimmerman's* fault. If he hadn't followed Martin *after being told not to* and *initiated* the encounter, Martin would still be alive. And that isn't even dealing with the gun law aspect.
Exactly. The details are pretty much the **same**.

Except that Zimmerman was a **man** and **white**.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172989 Jul 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
No, the SYG laws are **bullshit**.

It doesn't matter the details-- Zimmerman **persued** a kid, and killed him dead.

The situation is **exactly** the same, except that Zimmerman committed premeditated murder, and the woman did not.

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#172990 Jul 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree up to the point where the kid jumped him, he should have went inside. But Zimmerman is the one that made it happen. He should have just left the kid alone.
It's a bad thing, and it seems both are to blame. But I do agree it was mostly Zimmerman's fault.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#172991 Jul 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>In the interest of accuracy, I used to teach that carry stuff.
The VERY FIRST rule was "don't even touch the gun unless you're in enough danger to kill".
Brandishing, shooting to wound, and warning shots were right OUT.
If you need it enough to pull it, you need it enough to put two in his head - otherwise, run away screaming.
I agree with you in principle, here.

And I'm an advocate for **smart** gun laws (especially as I own several myself, including short arms, if you know what I mean)

But the SYG law is simply a horrid bit of grisly violence-encouragement.

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#172992 Jul 25, 2013
<quoted text>
No, the SYG laws are **bullshit**.
It doesn't matter the details-- Zimmerman **persued** a kid, and killed him dead.
The situation is **exactly** the same, except that Zimmerman committed premeditated murder, and the woman did not.
No they aren't Bob, the woman was not pinned to the ground and could have simply left. She gave up the house and children for a week before returning and demanding he leave. The two cases aren't even vaguely similar. If Zimmerman had left and returned with a gun , and had not been pinned to the ground he would have been guilty.
If either of those things would have happened or not happened Zimmerman would have been guilty.

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#172993 Jul 25, 2013
<quoted text>
And I'm an advocate for **smart** gun laws (especially as I own several myself, including short arms, if you know what I mean)
You seem to be mistaken here also Bob, Zimmerman did not invoke a stand your ground stance. His status in his case was simply self defense. You have to be on your own property , or very close to it to use the stand your ground defense.

The Borderland of Sol

#172994 Jul 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh, I do not necessarily disagree.

Or agree.

I fail absolutely to see why I should have to flee an agressor if I have the opportunity and the ability to say "Oh, fuck, no. You don't."

One sees the possibility for abuse, of course - but one totally deplores it. Actual "No!" responses are valid, I think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Realtime 1,458,837
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min Reality Speaks 312,718
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 min Chosen Traveler 32,601
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Mon Yin 17
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Dec 2 Go Blue Forever 57
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,371
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
More from around the web