Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#172330 Jul 16, 2013
Certainly. Thanks
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Google "Abby Smith" and "ERV". She's an HIV researcher who also writes a pretty good (scientific) blog on the subject.

One of her recent bits was about the bone marrow "success". She's cautious, but gives links to the original material.

She comes highly recommended.

Louisville, KY

#172331 Jul 16, 2013
I would wager he has not a friend on the world. I do laugh at his cowardice to mention his church. I think he goes to some crazy embarrassing one. Those people usually are ashamed to admit what church they go to.
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>Of course he is. But that begs the question of whether or not he even attends a church. Is he here to speak up for religion or just a lonely little troll? We've seen his posts, he's a good poster boy for driving people screaming away from theism.

I've noticed that he and I both started posting on topix a few months apart.....then I saw the number of posts he's made.....

I picture him as a middle aged flabby man (possibly still living in his parent's basement) sitting at a computer day and night, gulping slushies, candy bars, fast food and chips.

I've honestly tried feeling sorry for him, he IS an obnoxious little toad. However, he's made his choices and he's welcome to reap the nonexistent benefits of his sad and lonely lifestyle.
Thinking

York, UK

#172332 Jul 16, 2013
You can have my mother's cancer then.

Thank you.
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
Some cancer are caused by a virus which has as much right to live as any other creature. You live off of the deaths of what ever you eat. I see no difference.

Louisville, KY

#172333 Jul 16, 2013
Same here. Seriously I wonder if he is this ignorant or being purposely obtuse.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>The bible itself claims it was but a dream. The story of the road to Damascus, is clearly a dream or vision of Paul's.

I'm surprised you are arguing this point at all.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#172334 Jul 16, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
"I WANT TO BE LIKE Clownie! Yep, the good ole U S A. is a great place! Mikko
I'll rather stay in Sweden (were more democratic than USA)

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#172335 Jul 16, 2013
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
Some cancer are caused by a virus which has as much right to live as any other creature. You live off of the deaths of what ever you eat. I see no difference.
Tell that to the kids and their parents.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#172336 Jul 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It's worse than that.
In post 171,801 Tranny-Town DK Clunt admitted to having necrophiliac tendencies.
<quoted text>
I have notice he seems to have some kind of complex about his/hers sexaulilty.
At least he/she is always accusing others of being gay.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#172337 Jul 16, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you don't believe in GOD!you say he don't exist. so who's the blame for all the bad stuff in the world? science, atheist,evolution,who
All the above plus christians, and a few other factors we don't know about,or have thought about.
Thinking

York, UK

#172338 Jul 16, 2013
You also would have to take a cut in the standard of living.
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

York, UK

#172339 Jul 16, 2013
He also posts violently anti gay posts under his "goober hull" identity. Religitards often bulk up their numbers dishonestly.
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
I have notice he seems to have some kind of complex about his/hers sexaulilty.
At least he/she is always accusing others of being gay.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#172340 Jul 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Are all the old vets terrified to say what church they attend like you? Or is your cowardice your's and your's alone pussyassbitch?
<quoted text>
Nope we aren't, my church is in my heart, soul, and mind. It doesn't have a name, but I have called it Joeism once.:O):O)

Louisville, KY

#172341 Jul 16, 2013
Well T town sperm drinker won't be able to use that because he specifically said he was going to his church meaning a specific church.

One he is ashamed to name.

In your case the fact that fewer and fewer people are going to a church works out great for me as an atheist. Calling oneself a Christian in name only means nothing. It's when Christians congregate together in a church that bad things happen for society.

People each year are becoming less and less religious. Believers in name only are a toothless dog.
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>Nope we aren't, my church is in my heart, soul, and mind. It doesn't have a name, but I have called it Joeism once.:O):O)

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#172342 Jul 16, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
We have better teeth.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#172343 Jul 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You also would have to take a cut in the standard of living.
<quoted text>
how do you chumps pay for a gallion of gas? plus them bad teeth yall have... LOL

thinking has rotten teeth or should I say tooth
Thinking

York, UK

#172344 Jul 16, 2013
Dinosaur teeth found in the US represent great evidence for Evolution.

Just don't f**k them, you sad necrophiliac.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>We have better teeth.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#172345 Jul 16, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just plain silly to be afraid of the inevitable.
I have some concern as to HOW I die.
As well as my quality of life until then.
But no. I'm not at all afraid to die.
Nor am I afraid to live.
I had a vision of my own death, and there is an afterlife, so I am not afraid of death. But I'm not looking forward to being killed. I do still fear God though. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, a good understanding have all those who keep his commandments". I know from experience that if I do something I shouldn't God will get me good.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#172346 Jul 16, 2013
Im tired of you chumps going over and over and over the same old crap! Im riding off with total victory !!!!!!!!!!

Clownie 100
atheist 0

Louisville, KY

#172347 Jul 16, 2013
All your tough talk but terrified to say what church you go to.

I accept your surrender you pussyassbitch.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>how do you chumps pay for a gallion of gas? plus them bad teeth yall have... LOL

thinking has rotten teeth or should I say tooth

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#172348 Jul 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I flushed most of your repetitive apologetic blather.
Forgive me for asking, but why dismiss it? I see you attacking a specific portion of my argument, but not the entire argument. I'm just curious as to what was wrong with it that you feel the need to dismiss it out-of-hand without a logical evidential rebuttal.
Givemeliberty wrote:
No western standards have nothing to do with argument whatsoever. The period of time Jesus walked the region is very very well documented.
Yes first century writers did document events. But-

Just how many historical accounts from ancient Palestine do you claim have survived to the present day? What are your sources?

How much (by percentage) of any specific culture can we say was literate with any substantial historical accuracy?

How many cultures were predominantly literary and how many were predominantly oral tradition based cultures?

Have you factored in cultural expectations? If the accounts of what Jesus said are true, then we're looking at a culture that was waiting for His imminent second coming. If they were expecting the Christ to return, then can we expect that they would have written it down so soon after when oral tradition would suffice?

It's been 2,000 years since these accounts started circulating. Papyrus doesn't last forever. Even if they did start writing it down immediately as you seem to believe they were obligated to, what guarantee do we have that they survived? We know that the conquests of Rome, the barbarians, the Ottomans, weren't exactly peaceful.
How many written records have we lost due to natural or man-made disasters? Jerusalem was sacked in 70 A.D. by the Romans. Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D. So there are two disasters right there that can account for "lost history."

I'm not asking you to answer all of these points I'm raising. I'm raising them to show that I think you're assuming too much without a whole lot of plausible evidence to support your claims.
Givemeliberty wrote:
I know you hate to admit that but guess what? The Jews, Mithra worshipers, Hellenistic people all regularly at the time documented vital information. People have trouble remembering word for word the Ten Commandments but you think they could accurately remember hundreds of thousands of words perfectly? Insanity and we see this clearly as all the variations of the same gospels that we find in ancient scrolls.
Again, you're thinking in modern terms. You're not considering the difference between the way we do things, and the way the ancient cultures did things. Yes the Hellenistic world had its share of brilliant thinkers and writers, but you're comparing the polytheistic pagan cultures with a strict monotheistic culture that was orally dominant. Jewish Rabbis were REQUIRED to memorize the entire Torah before being allowed to comment on any passage. That in itself is a remarkable accomplishment. Our own Western culture doesn't do that, and that's why you doubt that ancient cultures could. That's ethnocentrism.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Jesus according to the NT had rich and highly educated men with him including converted Jews who would have known the importance of documentation.
Why, in a predominantly oral culture, would you assume that somebody was obligated to write about him? What is your basis for making that assumption? That other cultures did? If I write a letter to my congressman, are you also obligated to write a letter to your congressman?
Givemeliberty wrote:
This is why apologetics fail miserably. Critical thinking.
If you give my above points fair consideration, I think you'll see I do think fairly critically. I don't want canned answers any more than you do.
Thinking

York, UK

#172349 Jul 16, 2013
With money.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>how do you chumps pay for a gallion of gas?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr R TRUTH 27,426
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr Petal Power 1,110,247
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr Pearl Jam 305,687
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri broombroom 200,976
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
ACC Tournament 2014: Biggest Storylines to Watc... (Mar '14) Sep 11 Anonymous 2
•••
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••