Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,250)

Showing posts 164,981 - 165,000 of223,962
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

I factually took it apart point by point. In many of your examples, many forged by Christians later by the way all we see is people documenting what Christians were saying about Jesus not that the person had witnessed Jesus himself. Again that's if we overlook obvious forgeries.

And how would you know what I would and wouldn't accept? If it is based on solid secular history and not a forgery then we have something real there. I am not afraid if your Jew on a stick existed. If h did we see from the bible he was very ignorant and mentally unstable. He would be a joke, nothing more. He wasn't the first son of god that belief was required to go to heaven. Horus probably takes that honor from thousands of years before.

Oh and an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in any god, it has nothing to do with saying Jesus existed. Learn to use google you ignorant c@cks@cker.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>I ran? I didn't even see it. I'm not on here all the time. I don't read every reply. But since you admit to attempting to dismantle every one of the website's arguments, it shows something else that you can't see for yourself.

1) You don't accept the Josephus passages about Jesus.
2) You don't accept the Tacitus passages about Jesus.
3) You don't accept the Suetonius passage about Jesus.
4) You don't accept the Pliny the Younger passage referring to Jesus.
5) You don't accept the Mara Bar-Serapion letter referring to Jesus.

And you certainly wouldn't accept any of the canonical gospels which all very likely date prior to 70 A.D. So that's 9 accounts you WON'T accept.

1) Now in contrast, you would accept Book 1 of Tacitus' Annals because it tells us everything we need to know about Augustus Caesar, son of Julius Caesar. Historians accept Tacitus as the BEST PRIMARY historical source for anything regarding the Roman Empire.

2) You would accept Josephus account of the death of King Herod Agrippa in his work Antiquities of the Jews. It's the best historical account of that particular king's death in ancient Israeli history. Almost every historical scholar accepts it. It's also in the Gospel of Luke.

3) You would accept Pliny the Younger's written accounts of the eruption of Vesuvius which killed his father. Virtually all historians of ancient Greco-Roma culture accept these accounts.

Here's the real issue:

It's not that Jesus didn't exist. No sir. The real issue is that Jesus' existence bothers you so much, that you'll go to any length to revise history to get rid of that fact. You're attempting to circumvent historical events, on emotional and volitional grounds, because it really bothers you if he did exist. His existence causes you to think about being judged.
What's the difference between an atheist and a Jesus mythicist?

An atheist is honest enough to admit Jesus existed but denies the deity of Jesus.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

An essay by a Christian means what exactly?
Roman Apologist wrote:
From volume 15 of Tacitus' Annals of Rome which can be read in it's translated entirety here:

http://classics.mit.edu/Tacitus/annals.11.xv....

Notice the web address? M.I.T. One of the best technical colleges in the nation. A very SECULAR college. Now why would such a prestigious secular school have a collection from the greatest Roman historian, including the passage related to Jesus, if it wasn't an authentic copy?

Here's the entire passage, word for word.

Such indeed were the precautions of human wisdom. The next thing was to seek means of propitiating the gods, and recourse was had to the Sibylline books, by the direction of which prayers were offered to Vulcanus, Ceres, and Proserpina. Juno, too, was entreated by the matrons, first, in the Capitol, then on the nearest part of the coast, whence water was procured to sprinkle the fane and image of the goddess. And there were sacred banquets and nightly vigils celebrated by married women. But all human efforts, all the lavish gifts of the emperor, and the propitiations of the gods, did not banish the sinister belief that the conflagration was the result of an order. Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired.

Boo-yah!:)

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

I guess when the facts are against you logo al fallacies are all you have left.

Josephus mentions Hercules over a dozen times, I wonder if he would accept that as proof that the son of Zeus really existed?
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Poorly constructed straw man.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
I guess when the facts are against you logo al fallacies are all you have left.
Josephus mentions Hercules over a dozen times, I wonder if he would accept that as proof that the son of Zeus really existed?
<quoted text>
you're stupid

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
An essay by a Christian means what exactly?
<quoted text>
essay of an atheist is joke

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Josephus mentions Hercules over a dozen times. Shall we then accept Hercules, who was... the son of god, born to a virgin, performed miracles, walked on water, raised the dead, fought a seven headed dragon and even went into the flames of Hell to stare down the ( devil ) also existed?

Hey! Wait a minute! Those deeds and facts about Hercules which pre dates Jesus by centuries sounds mighty familiar!

Hmmm I seem to remember another god myth made in the same region that shared much of those same things!

Who was that again? Let's see.. Son of God who was born of a virgin woman? Who does that sound like? Hmmm walked on water, who else did that again? Miraculously heals the sick and even raises the dead... Wasn't there another son of god that did that centuries later? Is said to fight an evil dragon with 7 heads? It seems there was another son of god that is noted to do that centuries later yes? Let's see Hercules dies as a sacrifice in a humbling, humiliating painful way but then ascends to Heaven giving his followers words of comfort and wisdom as he in front of thousands goes into the heavens. It seems like there was a more Jewish version of that centuries later... What son of god was that again who did the same things, written about in the same region, centuries later?? Hmm... Oh ya!

Jesus
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you're stupid

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You know they were gonna call fluffy, "Dave Nelson" when fluffy was invented.
It just seemed like the natural thing to do.
The Dave Nelson was infuriated because he'd already invented, "fluffy", but called, "thingy", by The Dave Nelson, and had neglected to patent the invention due to his work in the emerging, yet unnamed field of magnets, strings, paperclips, and an old Waring Blender™ which was his bRaIn cHiLd, and was going to call it "Somethinlikethat..um Mechanics".
As the patent was just moments away from being finalized, and what we now know as, "fluffy", was to be registered as, "Dave Nelson", he could take no more and with an effort of will so strong that it has never been seen before or since, he sprang in to action.
He then read some words from the !Magnetonomicron!.pdf he'd downloaded from the Monsters&Aliens website and all of that nonsense was quickly discarded.
He then sold his version of "thingy"(which was like fluffy, but ever so much more so) to the now defeated, inventors of "Dave Nelson", and demanded that they name it "fluffy".
And thus, thanks to The Dave Nelson, we have the word and the substance, "fluffy", today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Whew! What a trip.....I had a flashback to the 60's! I may need to lay down for awhile.

Dave who???

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
you're cute.

What's that white spot on your nose.

Ewwwwww, ewwwww, I don't want to know.

Never mind.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Whew! What a trip.....I had a flashback to the 60's! I may need to lay down for awhile.
Dave who???
Dave' not here!

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
Translation:-

"Don't confuse me with facts"

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are such ugly and hateful people.
Yet you are the one who has had many of your posts removed because of their vile nature.

Now tell us again why are:-
"Atheists are such ugly and hateful people."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
The essence of the creationist defence.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a straw man. The truth.
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a straw man. The truth.
No, it is a straw man, and it results from the point that since the person doesn't agree with your assertion, you then label them something that you feel you can argue against, without addressing or rebutting the actual point(S) raised.

It's a weak tactic on your part. and obvious.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
This entire article quibbles over the use of the word "Christians" and has nothing to do with the existence of Jesus or any orthodox Christian doctrine. Now that's a straw man fallacy.
No, it actually has to do with the alteration from the actual word used, "Chrestians", which does not mean the same as "Christians", which the word had been altered to read as.

It's established and calls into question the writing by Tacitus, since it has been altered.

Ultraviolet light reveals the change clearly and conclusively.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave who???
*The Dave Nelson*

That's who.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>No, it is a straw man, and it results from the point that since the person doesn't agree with your assertion, you then label them something that you feel you can argue against, without addressing or rebutting the actual point(S) raised.
It's a weak tactic on your part. and obvious.
Creationists are not accustomed to the world getting smarter about cults yet.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe you.
I don't care.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
you're cute.
What's that white spot on your nose.
Ewwwwww, ewwwww, I don't want to know.
Never mind.
kiss this (_*_)

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are such ugly and hateful people.
Another great post

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Josephus mentions Hercules over a dozen times. Shall we then accept Hercules, who was... the son of god, born to a virgin, performed miracles, walked on water, raised the dead, fought a seven headed dragon and even went into the flames of Hell to stare down the ( devil ) also existed?
Hey! Wait a minute! Those deeds and facts about Hercules which pre dates Jesus by centuries sounds mighty familiar!
Hmmm I seem to remember another god myth made in the same region that shared much of those same things!
Who was that again? Let's see.. Son of God who was born of a virgin woman? Who does that sound like? Hmmm walked on water, who else did that again? Miraculously heals the sick and even raises the dead... Wasn't there another son of god that did that centuries later? Is said to fight an evil dragon with 7 heads? It seems there was another son of god that is noted to do that centuries later yes? Let's see Hercules dies as a sacrifice in a humbling, humiliating painful way but then ascends to Heaven giving his followers words of comfort and wisdom as he in front of thousands goes into the heavens. It seems like there was a more Jewish version of that centuries later... What son of god was that again who did the same things, written about in the same region, centuries later?? Hmm... Oh ya!
Jesus
<quoted text>
its your word agaist billions! atheist the few the dumb!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 164,981 - 165,000 of223,962
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Uncle Samowitz 1,078,145
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Mychihuahuawillbite 305,063
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr FLORIDA SWAMPER 26,640
urgent loan needed apply now (Sep '13) Sun Danny 2
loan needed (Dec '13) Sun Danny 4
Hairston's bounceback game highlights big day f... Jul 16 Go go d 1
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) Jul 15 AnnCarter 8
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••