Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256572 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171509 Jul 9, 2013
It wouldn't matter if he did.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Socrates never existed. There is no proof he did.

You are worshiping the words of a myth.

That philosophy is common enough among men of centuries and before that never even heard of him. Plato probably plagiarized one of them using mythical Socrates as a tool.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171510 Jul 9, 2013
Indeed :)
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>No, he answered it quite well.....and it went right over your head.

As per usual;0)

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171511 Jul 9, 2013
Show where I said I or anyone worshipped Socrates.

Did you hurt yourself again Dave?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>He said nothing other than he worshiped Socrates and therefore he existed. That is all he said.

Now, you posted earlier about Pilate being the only "officially" recorded personage of the JC story.

Now, give us "official" proof that Socrates, Aristotle, and Plato actually existed.

Show us your stuff, big girl. We are waiting.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171512 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Plato was a religious figure?
His writings were religious?
The rest of your prattling I clearly explained in detail. Read my post again a few dozen times and it should sink in past your head injury.
You're welcome.
<quoted text>
http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/24881-socrates-divine...

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#171513 Jul 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
He said nothing other than he worshiped Socrates and therefore he existed. That is all he said.
Now, you posted earlier about Pilate being the only "officially" recorded personage of the JC story.
Now, give us "official" proof that Socrates, Aristotle, and Plato actually existed.
Show us your stuff, big girl. We are waiting.
One last time, it's already been explained succinctly and thoroughly.
And no one here worships Socrates.

I said Pilate was the only person that I knew of.

You have officially been demoted to T Town's level.

Now, give verifiable proof of JC and quit trying to obfuscate, or are you incapable of actual debate and exchange? No, I truly don't think so, but you can prove me wrong if you really want to.

Now try some rational response or just keep bickering incessantly about trivial issues that you have, so far, been using as a sidetrack tactic.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171514 Jul 9, 2013
Anther thing your head injury is making you forget is that the time of Jesus was one of the best documented periods in ancient history.

At the time Jesus was said to walk Jerusalem we have several historians documenting people and events.

Not one mentioned Jesus... Not one thought this man with his huge crowds of followers, whipping money changers at the temple, crucifixion, raising the dead for all to see and returning from the dead and walking into town with hundreds of resurrected famous Jews was worth mentioning.... Or is it more likely was it that it never happened?

Still waiting for your historical proof he existed... Any year now Dave.

Lol! And the lie about a prisoner being released for Passover! Hahahaha!! As if! Pure fiction.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>And you are full of shit.

Prove he existed by the measure you require for Jesus.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171515 Jul 9, 2013
Again he was a secular philosopher not a religious figure and he did not start a religion based on Socrates. He believed in a god, yawn, so what?

You are humiliating yourself Dave.... Again.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>"Plato has a concept of a God which shares many traits with the Christian idea of God. Socrates' God is a single God who is the source of creation (Burtt 49). He also depicts God as being inherently good. He depicts a God that motivates with goodness rather than punishment (Burtt 49)."

http://voices.yahoo.com/religious-views-socra...

You think?

Nah, you haven't exhibited that talent.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171516 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Plato was a religious figure?
His writings were religious?
The rest of your prattling I clearly explained in detail. Read my post again a few dozen times and it should sink in past your head injury.
You're welcome.
<quoted text>
"Xenophon and Plato agree that Socrates had an opportunity to escape, as his followers were able to bribe the prison guards. He chose to stay for several reasons:

He believed such a flight would indicate a fear of death, which he believed no true philosopher has.
If he fled Athens his teaching would fare no better in another country, as he would continue questioning all he met and undoubtedly incur their displeasure.
Having knowingly agreed to live under the city's laws, he implicitly subjected himself to the possibility of being accused of crimes by its citizens and judged guilty by its jury. To do otherwise would have caused him to break his "social contract" with the state, and so harm the state, an unprincipled act."

"Shortly before his death, Socrates speaks his last words to Crito: "Crito, we owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please, don't forget to pay the debt."

Asclepius was the Greek god for curing illness, and it is likely Socrates' last words meant that death is the cure—and freedom, of the soul from the body. Additionally, in Why Socrates Died: Dispelling the Myths, Robin Waterfield adds another interpretation of Socrates' last words. He suggests that Socrates was a voluntary scapegoat; his death was the purifying remedy for Athens’ misfortunes. In this view, the token of appreciation for Asclepius would represent a cure for Athens' ailments.[15]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates#Trial_a...

Think real hard.

Nah, better find someone to do it for you. You ARE a Topix atheist, after all.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171517 Jul 9, 2013
A book review? Heavily on the opinion side?

Spooky peeps Dave?

Thanks for the laughs anyways.
Dave Nelson wrote:

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171518 Jul 9, 2013
You have pegged the Dave method of failing almost perfectly.

Just add in his long rambling off topic posts ala Grandpa Simpson and you will have it 100%

He just comes here for our amusement anyways. Good for a laugh, like he is a so called deist in his own words, yet see Christian apologetic arguments and strongly defends Jesus and Paul.... Just like a deist right? Lol :))
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>One last time, it's already been explained succinctly and thoroughly.
And no one here worships Socrates.

I said Pilate was the only person that I knew of.

You have officially been demoted to T Town's level.

Now, give verifiable proof of JC and quit trying to obfuscate, or are you incapable of actual debate and exchange? No, I truly don't think so, but you can prove me wrong if you really want to.

Now try some rational response or just keep bickering incessantly about trivial issues that you have, so far, been using as a sidetrack tactic.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171519 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Anther thing your head injury is making you forget is that the time of Jesus was one of the best documented periods in ancient history.
At the time Jesus was said to walk Jerusalem we have several historians documenting people and events.
Not one mentioned Jesus... Not one thought this man with his huge crowds of followers, whipping money changers at the temple, crucifixion, raising the dead for all to see and returning from the dead and walking into town with hundreds of resurrected famous Jews was worth mentioning.... Or is it more likely was it that it never happened?
Still waiting for your historical proof he existed... Any year now Dave.
Lol! And the lie about a prisoner being released for Passover! Hahahaha!! As if! Pure fiction.
<quoted text>
I'm waiting for your Socrates proof of existence.

Socrates was at the center of his civilization, and an alleged pain in the ass to the powers that were. Should be some official documentation.

Judea was a jerkwater nowhere in the Roman Empire with a bunch of unsophisticated, superstitious, and pain in the ass yokels. Not even a footnote. You will find similar lack of records from many such places in the empire.

Socrates was advanced through the Roman Empire by writings they read about him. JC was advanced by those writing about him showing up on their doorstep, then the Romans advanced him through the Roman Empire.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171520 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
A book review? Heavily on the opinion side?
Spooky peeps Dave?
Thanks for the laughs anyways.
<quoted text>
You can only have opinions about mythical figures, Butch. There is nothing to have facts about.

Thinking is not your forte, as is your wit. Try something you know. Get the Johnson out of the drawer and show wifey what a man you are again.

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#171521 Jul 9, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If the accounts of the Bible did not occur, then why didn't a group of atheists ever "free think" to write an anti-Bible? I think we all know they are liars.
No, they just didn't want to be murdered.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#171522 Jul 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You have pegged the Dave method of failing almost perfectly.
Just add in his long rambling off topic posts ala Grandpa Simpson and you will have it 100%
He just comes here for our amusement anyways. Good for a laugh, like he is a so called deist in his own words, yet see Christian apologetic arguments and strongly defends Jesus and Paul.... Just like a deist right? Lol :))
<quoted text>
How true, how true! Thanks for adding that final and essential touch.

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#171523 Jul 9, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol...this has got to be one of your best ones yet! Why would anyone have a need to write an anti-bible? lol
Death wish?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#171524 Jul 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
How true, how true! Thanks for adding that final and essential touch.
:-)

You two are amusing. So innocent.

Existence is so simple for you.

Be careful about moving into the deeper portions of the pool of knowledge and thought of mankind. You will drown if you aren't careful.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171525 Jul 9, 2013
Jerusalem was just a nothing happening little town eh? Wow you are going for broke on the senile meter tonight eh?

Psssst you do realize that Socrates and the Jesus myth happened at two different time periods don't you Dave? It's like comparing media coverage of President Washington and Obama.

First century Jerusalem had a wealth of scholars and historians documenting events an people no matter how much you want to stamp your feet.

Now do you have secular, historical proof that Jesus existed or not? Since he was on everyone's doorstep it seems someone would have wrote about him right?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>I'm waiting for your Socrates proof of existence.

Socrates was at the center of his civilization, and an alleged pain in the ass to the powers that were. Should be some official documentation.

Judea was a jerkwater nowhere in the Roman Empire with a bunch of unsophisticated, superstitious, and pain in the ass yokels. Not even a footnote. You will find similar lack of records from many such places in the empire.

Socrates was advanced through the Roman Empire by writings they read about him. JC was advanced by those writing about him showing up on their doorstep, then the Romans advanced him through the Roman Empire.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171526 Jul 9, 2013
You can only have opinions about mythical figures? So people can't have opinions on actual people? Nobody has an opinion on Obama or GWB?

Wow Dave you are just getting dumber by the post. I suggest you lay down before you hurt yourself old timer.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You can only have opinions about mythical figures, Butch. There is nothing to have facts about.

Thinking is not your forte, as is your wit. Try something you know. Get the Johnson out of the drawer and show wifey what a man you are again.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#171527 Jul 9, 2013
Look up grandpa Simpson onion belt on YouTube and behold it's a cartoon version of Dave!
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>How true, how true! Thanks for adding that final and essential touch.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#171528 Jul 10, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
in spiritual darkness,
under the power of Satan,
separated from Christ,
without hope,
without God in this world,
foolish,
disobedient,
deceived,
you're all these things IMO
Why are you talking about yourself?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,419,596
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr John-K 311,627
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 hr Trojan 32,332
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Fri Earthling-1 10,065
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web