Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171217 Jul 8, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...no spank you sir.
good come-back!!

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171218 Jul 8, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take that as "i have nothing so i go over to attacking the smart one"
no it means you don't understand! Are you deaf & dumb?

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171219 Jul 8, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He needs a change from his sister
Hey dumb one take a lick of this (_*_)
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171220 Jul 8, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't threaten me like that. LOL. I would prefer to think that your watch is three hours slow. Wouldn't Hawaii be much better? ;)
Yes it would!

There was a power outage at a mega church yesterday. Twenty people were trapped on the escalators.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171221 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>GOD's not from here!
Of course she is! this is where she was created.
it is possible she originated on: KOLOB.

If you're not familiar w/KOLOB ... ask Mitt Romney or any moron... Err Mormon.
;)
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171222 Jul 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I've been looking for god in all the wrong places.
His "faithful" found in most any prison.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171223 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>what does the bible say for you to do?
The same as the Koran... "extreme prejudice "
Allah willing... ;)

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#171224 Jul 8, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it would!
There was a power outage at a mega church yesterday. Twenty people were trapped on the escalators.
I believe it. I don't like mega-churches. I don't like escalators.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#171225 Jul 8, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true. I concede that Brazil, as a Latin country has a very high population of people who self identify as Catholic (or other denomination) but it is the actions that betray their words. And I would say that those who did commit the crime were not practicing Catholics or Christians. If they were, then they're seriously misunderstanding the tenets of peace as taught by Christ.
This is total rubbish and based on the incredulous and deliberately ignorant teaching of chistianity, not fact.

Adam Lanza - christian
James Holmes - christian
Anders Behring Breivik – christian
Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic committed genocide against Moslems in the name of their christian church
The IRA were mass murdering terrorists for the name of their church, BTW I was injured in one of their indiscriminate attacks so I happen to have learned quite a lot about their policy and methods.
How about the NLFT in india. Good christians all
And the KKK and anti abortionists in the US, right wing christians
What about those dealers in misery, the eastern European human traffickers, the majority of all those caught and tried are christian.
Hitler was catholic, his actions were based on his christian beliefs and he was never excommunicated..
Stalin, tipped for the job of priest before setting his sights on reality

Facts are facts no matter what your faith tells you

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#171226 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>no it means you don't understand! Are you deaf & dumb?
So you're deaf and dumb and do not understand ?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#171227 Jul 8, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Hey dumb one take a lick of this (_*_)
Showing your butt in public is going to get you in trouble

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#171228 Jul 8, 2013
ignorance is bliss86 wrote:
<quoted text>
do you ever wounder the reason why you always get the clueless and nuts emoticons?
I know exactly why.

The clueless and nuts express themselves the best they know how.

I'm glad you are a happy person.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#171229 Jul 8, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
This is total rubbish and based on the incredulous and deliberately ignorant teaching of chistianity, not fact.
Adam Lanza - christian
James Holmes - christian
Anders Behring Breivik – christian
Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic committed genocide against Moslems in the name of their christian church
The IRA were mass murdering terrorists for the name of their church, BTW I was injured in one of their indiscriminate attacks so I happen to have learned quite a lot about their policy and methods.
How about the NLFT in india. Good christians all
And the KKK and anti abortionists in the US, right wing christians
What about those dealers in misery, the eastern European human traffickers, the majority of all those caught and tried are christian.
Hitler was catholic, his actions were based on his christian beliefs and he was never excommunicated..
Stalin, tipped for the job of priest before setting his sights on reality
Facts are facts no matter what your faith tells you
The point I'm trying to make, is that just because somebody says they're a Christian doesn't mean they really are. They may think they are, but their actions betray their words.

If a police officer makes a traffic stop and spots drugs in the car, he can arrest the driver based upon that observation. But suppose he doesn't arrest the suspect, but merely confiscates the illegal drugs and allows the driver to leave the scene. Now let's further suppose that this police officer then sells the drugs for his own profit when he's off duty. As presented, is our police officer worthy of being considered a police officer? He might wear the badge and uniform, and drive the car and respond to calls; but does this officer truly represent the essence of the motto "To protect and serve"? No he does not. His hypocrisy betrays his outward appearance, and stains the police profession as an institution of law enforcement.

Likewise, a Christian who does not obey the tenets of Christian teachings (Love your enemies, give to the poor, care for the sick, etc, etc.) is not a Christian in the true sense. Such a person is a "pretender" which is the original definition of a hypocrite. These people must be seen for what they really are, and not what they claim to be. By observing behavior you're aware of the difference between a genuine Christian and a religious hypocrite. If you continue to misidentify all Christians based upon the actions of the hypocrites there is a question to be answered:

Mow that you're aware of the difference, will you continue to misidentify, and if so, why would you do so?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#171230 Jul 8, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
<quoted text>
The point I'm trying to make, is that just because somebody says they're a Christian doesn't mean they really are. They may think they are, but their actions betray their words.
If a police officer makes a traffic stop and spots drugs in the car, he can arrest the driver based upon that observation. But suppose he doesn't arrest the suspect, but merely confiscates the illegal drugs and allows the driver to leave the scene. Now let's further suppose that this police officer then sells the drugs for his own profit when he's off duty. As presented, is our police officer worthy of being considered a police officer? He might wear the badge and uniform, and drive the car and respond to calls; but does this officer truly represent the essence of the motto "To protect and serve"? No he does not. His hypocrisy betrays his outward appearance, and stains the police profession as an institution of law enforcement.
Yes, in this situation, this person is still a police officer. They are a *corrupt* police officer.
Likewise, a Christian who does not obey the tenets of Christian teachings (Love your enemies, give to the poor, care for the sick, etc, etc.) is not a Christian in the true sense. Such a person is a "pretender" which is the original definition of a hypocrite. These people must be seen for what they really are, and not what they claim to be. By observing behavior you're aware of the difference between a genuine Christian and a religious hypocrite. If you continue to misidentify all Christians based upon the actions of the hypocrites there is a question to be answered:
Mow that you're aware of the difference, will you continue to misidentify, and if so, why would you do so?
Have you ever heard of the 'no true scotsman' fallacy? A Christian is someone who believes in the basic tenets of Christianity: the divinity of Jesus, the resurrection, the forgiveness of sins, etc. A person can believe in these things and still be 'corrupt' in the same way that a person can be a corrupt police officer.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171231 Jul 8, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Showing your butt in public is going to get you in trouble
not when its this fine of a butt... SMOKIN

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171232 Jul 8, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're deaf and dumb and do not understand ?
thats it copy my most excellent posts!!! keep up the good work grasshopper

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#171233 Jul 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, in this situation, this person is still a police officer. They are a *corrupt* police officer.
<quoted text>
Have you ever heard of the 'no true scotsman' fallacy? A Christian is someone who believes in the basic tenets of Christianity: the divinity of Jesus, the resurrection, the forgiveness of sins, etc. A person can believe in these things and still be 'corrupt' in the same way that a person can be a corrupt police officer.
There is a tendency on here for the atheists, who claim to be educated, to define Christians and other religions by the "official" writings and edicts of a religion's hierarchy. This is a likely result of their being trained and educated by textbooks. It is a very limited perspective of almost any thing studied. It doesn't allow for the very wide variation in personal interpretations of a particular religion. This is why you have so many sects of them. The college trained Topix atheist does their thinking and pronouncements with blinders on. The reins attached to their minds from such "education" also direct the direction they look in.

College used to be about making one think. Now it is a factory for stamping out clones. A money making industry for mass production of the mindless intellectual.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#171234 Jul 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a tendency on here for the atheists, who claim to be educated, to define Christians and other religions by the "official" writings and edicts of a religion's hierarchy. This is a likely result of their being trained and educated by textbooks. It is a very limited perspective of almost any thing studied. It doesn't allow for the very wide variation in personal interpretations of a particular religion. This is why you have so many sects of them. The college trained Topix atheist does their thinking and pronouncements with blinders on. The reins attached to their minds from such "education" also direct the direction they look in.
College used to be about making one think. Now it is a factory for stamping out clones. A money making industry for mass production of the mindless intellectual.
I very much understand that different people have different interpretations of their religion. This very fact is one of the many that puts religion into question. If it were *truth* rather than *opinion*, then there would be much more agreement between the different sects.

But the question being addressed is the definition of the word 'Christian'. For a modern reader, that consists of believing in the divinity of Jesus, in the resurrection, and in the forgiveness of sins. And those beliefs allows for corrupt individuals to be Christians. And that was the basic point. If you wish to use a *different* definition of the word 'Christian', the please give it. But be aware that the standard definition is the one I gave.

Location hidden

#171235 Jul 8, 2013
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
<quoted text>I'm glad that a message from the bible was able to inspire you, and make your life better.
If people need God in their life to make them better, then by all means...have God in your life.
I respect that, and would never want that taken from anyone.
BUT, being an Agnostic, I must add....so often do "believers" give themselves credit for their won change...they give that credit to God, when it was actually their own inner strength the whole time.
That's fair enough. And I believe that yes, faith in God can build inner strength too. It's hard for me to attribute anything to the supernatural, since by definition, anything observed must exist inside of nature, and anything supernatural is outside of nature.
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
My point is WHY would God help you resolve issues....but NOT be there for the kids at Sandy Hook, Oklahoma Tornado? Boston Bombing? Starving, beaten, and molested children?
If God took the time in YOUR life to ensure you receive a very important message, why not do the same in dire situations involving innocent children?
Honestly? I really don't know why. I can pretend to know, or try to quote scripture but I won't. Bad things happen in the world. Evil and corruption are rampant. Where is God in all of this? I really do not have an answer for that. My opinion (and probably not the truth, or maybe not anyone else's opinion) is that God is subjective. I've not ever seen any huge miracles like amputee's limbs growing back or the dead being raised. I believe that God usually changes people from within, and therefore changes the world through changed people. It's not a fast process when it's looked at in the span of a single lifetime. A relationship with God can cause people to seek positive changes in their lives, and help out others. Note that I am not saying that a non spiritual person can't be a force for positive change. I'm giving an account of my subjective experiences.
Snow Bunny_ wrote:
I guess that's why I'd never worship or understand the supposed Christian God.
I mean, anything that would qualify as a God would understand this...is that really a GOD worthy of worshipping?
My understanding of God is nowhere near complete either. Faith is difficult sometimes, especially when evil people do evil things to the world, and it hits close to home. I'll tell you what.. We seem a lot alike in our experiences (other than my recent re-conversion). You might laugh at this, or make a funny face when you read it, but I'll pray for you that you may seek God once again. Maybe you'll change your mind like I have. Maybe you'll make faith important in your life again. Maybe God will change you and inspire you to change the world.

Location hidden

#171236 Jul 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I've been looking for god in all the wrong places.
Are you really looking, though? If you are, don't stop.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min red and right 1,154,078
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 56 min LonePalm 2,672
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Bruin For Life 28,385
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr Cali Girl 2014 201,167
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr The world is waiting 306,982
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 1 hr Roy The Boy 688
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Dec 16 The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web