Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#171119 Jul 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that sin is real. You can't because you made it up - its part of your cult and has nothing to do with the real world whatsoever.
Your move lying creationist troll with no proof of god.
The more you talk to me, the more I will reveal how bullsh*t your ridiculous cult is.
You will find out after that meth gets done with you.

“1000 Sting of Scorpion to you”

Since: Feb 07

Jurassic, Indiana

#171120 Jul 7, 2013
DavidQuinn wrote:
Atheism requires no faith at all but I wish i had Jean-Paul sartre's attitude to religion, a man so thoroughly atheist he deemed the whole subject beneath his intelligence to consider. Simply religion is divisive and restricts us as a species, simple as that. Check out a book that's causing a bit of a buzz in the Uk called 2082 the chronicles of hope. On the website the 1st chapter for the 1st book is on there for free, there's a speech in there by an atheist politician that's genius
> Rats! If only you were a genius like Jean-Paul Sartre, then you too, could be intellectually higher than your own shadow! A modern day legend in your own mind! Another, of the intellectuals gone wild! LMAO!!!
<:)

Since: Sep 10

United States

#171121 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://monkeywah.typepad.com/p aranormalia/2013/07/a-militant -skeptic-discovers-the-afterli fe.html
A change of perspective.
TOPIX ATHEISTS!!! DO NOT READ!!!
Don't worry.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#171122 Jul 7, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where we disagree. The context argument does hold, but it holds because of more than the words on the page. It holds because we can (if we choose) learn something of the Jewish culture at that time in world history.
Much of what is written in the Old Testament is hyperbole and as such is an exaggeration. Now the next question is obviously; why exaggerate? What purpose could it serve to exaggerate?
In our own modern society we tend to think of any exaggeration as a manipulation. We're skeptical and cynical. But...
In ancient Hebrew culture, hyperbole was like a literary device to add emphasis. It was a written or verbal "highlighter" to make a point really hit home in the heart and mind of the audience.
So when we read of the defeat of the Canaanites or Amalekites, it wasn't genocide or ethnic cleansing. The writers were engaging in hyperbole. Think of what would happen if an alien visited our planet today and read a sports headline about a hockey game but didn't read the rest of the article. "Rangers slaughter Penguins!"
What if the alien asked two different people two different questions?
Alien: "What's a Ranger?"
Person #1: "A ranger is a person who works in the forest protecting wild animals against illegal hunters."
Alien: "Oh, okay. Thank you."
Alien: "What's a penguin?"
Person #2: "A penguin is a small, flightless, aquatic bird."
Alien: "Do penguins live in the forest?"
Person #2: "No, they live an arctic environment and eat fish."
Alien: "Okay, thanks!"
The alien then walks away thinking, "Wow these ranger people are either cruel savages, or the writers of this paper are off their rockers!"
If he had investigated the context a little more thoroughly, the alien would have learned that it was a hockey game, that the Penguins and Rangers were the names of the teams, and the Rangers won the contest. It wouldn't mean that there are thousands of dead penguin corpses littering the forest.
We make the same mistake when we read the bible.
Why?
Because we're aliens to that culture, at that time in history.
So then the story of Moses going to a cloud covered mountaintop to talk to a god was an exaggeration, or never happened at all, and it was a convenient way to transmit the lore of a culture.

"Where did our laws come from?"

"Old Moses, went onto a mountaintop and a god gave them to him, and this is why they are our laws, and we are a special people, never forget this."

Much like the American Aboriginal stories were. They were simple methods of transmitting cultural specifics. Fireside tales and bedtime stories, essentially.

But no one actually believed that the deer got his horns as a prize in a race.

Or that Kanati kept animals in a huge cave to select from when he went hunting, and that he was the first man.

But no one really thought or believed that.

Because other tribes had their myths, too.

Jurassic, Indiana

#171123 Jul 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a reunion!
> Hail, hail, the gang's all here! What the hell... oops (forgot, atheists don't believe in hell), what the heck do we care, what the heck do we care! And the Godless, intellectual, scientific community all huddle together with crocodile tears in their swollen eyes ... whining like little babies, "boo, hoo, the gang doesn't love us"! Well, wake up and smell the roses ... God loves you!
>:)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#171124 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://monkeywah.typepad.com/p aranormalia/2013/07/a-militant -skeptic-discovers-the-afterli fe.html
A change of perspective.
Thanks for the warning.

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#171126 Jul 7, 2013
scaritual wrote:
So then the story of Moses going to a cloud covered mountaintop to talk to a god was an exaggeration, or never happened at all, and it was a convenient way to transmit the lore of a culture.
Not necessarily. Some parts of the bible are hyperbole, but not all. And the portions that are hyperbole aren't for the purpose of deception or story telling around a camp fire when there's nothing better to do. Hyperbole isn't like that. At least not in ancient Hebrew culture.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#171127 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not surprising you "don't get it".
Well it's too stupid ..

Jurassic, Indiana

#171128 Jul 7, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
"Where did our laws come from?"
"Old Moses, went onto a mountaintop and a god gave them to him, and this is why they are our laws, and we are a special people, never forget this."
Much like the American Aboriginal stories were. They were simple methods of transmitting cultural specifics. Fireside tales and bedtime stories, essentially.
But no one actually believed that the deer got his horns as a prize in a race.
Or that Kanati kept animals in a huge cave to select from when he went hunting, and that he was the first man.
But no one really thought or believed that.
Because other tribes had their myths, too.
> Osama sees you believe anything that is thrown out into public view by any brainless twit who doesn't believe in God. Go figure!!! So, tell all of Topix ... were you present when Moses received the Ten Commandments? No??? Oh, you were on a neighboring mountain listening to the neighborhood mystic. Did you learn anything that would help you to live a good life? What's that you say ... "I learned from the mystic that there wasn't a God"! No, Osama said, "Did you learn anything that would help you live a good life?" Osama doesn't want to know if you lost your marbles. Enough of your fruitless ramblings ... where's the beef?
Tell us something that's true, and will be helpful to you and your pack of lost and lonely, wandering in the wilderness heathens. Think back ... Osama knows it was a loooooooooong time ago, but, you need to come up with something constructive, and truthful. Maybe check with one of your all-knowing scientists, who could help you find one of your truths. Osama knows it's circling one of the Super Massive Black Holes of the Milky Way Galaxy right now. Hurry up and find it before it is swallowed up forever, and ever! Scaritual, pulls his communicator from his pocket, and in a somewhat frightened tone says, "Beam me up, Scotty"!

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#171129 Jul 7, 2013
Atheism:

The belief there was nothing, and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, thus creating everything,and then a bunch of everything magically re-arranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Got it.

Makes perfect sense to me.

150 years ago: "Darwin said it, I believe it!"

7 years ago: "Dawkins said it, I believe it!"

LMAO

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#171131 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Sin is willful destruction of your body and mind.
You're going to hell.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#171132 Jul 7, 2013
Hahahaha!

Wow what an ignorant c@cks@cker!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>It's a violation of evolution and survival.

Dumb shit.

Jurassic, Indiana

#171133 Jul 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinions about other people's reality will matter after you've successfully proved your personal hallucination / cult.
Osama does not hallucinate! But, Osama has read most of your posts... uh, please excuse the great Osama...

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Too funny!!!

Septic... uh, Skeptic, wanting someone other than himself to prove their hallucinations. Septic... uh, Skeptic, put down the 2-Liter bottle of delusion before you fall into a drunken stupor. Oh, you're already in a drunken stupor! Go figure!!! My bad! That six-pack of delusion already has you over the legal limit, huh? If you could ever grow some balls and face reality! What's that you say, "I have nuts, but, they're numb"! Aww, too bad! Well, time for you to run along and clean your mommy's kitchen before she gets home to cook dinner. After all, you need nourishment to keep what little brain you have from starving to death. Have a good 'un ... ya hear!?
<:)

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#171134 Jul 7, 2013
Sorry atheism is simply not believing in a god.

Ignorant c@cks@ckers like you have trouble understanding that.
Roman Apologist wrote:
Atheism:

The belief there was nothing, and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, thus creating everything,and then a bunch of everything magically re-arranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Got it.

LMAO

“a.k.a. GhostWriter2U”

Location hidden

#171135 Jul 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Then how did we get here? LOL

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#171136 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:

A change of perspective.

Why not?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#171137 Jul 7, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text>> Hail, hail, the gang's all here! What the hell... oops (forgot, atheists don't believe in hell), what the heck do we care, what the heck do we care! And the Godless, intellectual, scientific community all huddle together with crocodile tears in their swollen eyes ... whining like little babies, "boo, hoo, the gang doesn't love us"! Well, wake up and smell the roses ... God loves you!
Might want to cut down on the caffeine.

Jurassic, Indiana

#171138 Jul 7, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
Atheism:
Got it.
LMAO
> Shocking!!! All this time, Osama thought the point of singularity was God ... the Perfect Equation ... the equation the All-Knowing scientists, physicists, astronomers, and, veggie fed Intellectuals have been looking for, forever. So, out in the vastness of empty space, this one miniscule, sub-microscopic, sub-atomic piece of balled-up, potential blast of universal construction, blows up and creates everything known to man, and space aliens who are scattered throughout the entire universe. Dust to dust, ashes to ashes, dinosaur to man! Huh??? Dust to dust, and, ashes to ashes, Osama believes! Dinosaur to man??? Yeah, right!!!
>:/

Jurassic, Indiana

#171139 Jul 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Might want to cut down on the caffeine.
> Osama will make a deal with you, Aeronutty as a Fruitcake. The great Osama will cut down on the caffeine if you cut down on the delusion. Deal?

Jurassic, Indiana

#171140 Jul 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
> You should be ashamed of yourself, CrackedLibertyBell! You, who has very little intelligence, calling another person ignorant. God in His majestic voice says to Osama the Anointed, "Go easy on the boy ... he is still recovering from his lobotomy"! My bad, Lord! CrackedLibertyBell, Osama, being the gentleman that he is, will keep his scorpions from stinging you ... at least until your recovery. Is there a recovery for a lobotomy? Anyway, you take care, and, be nice ... ya hear!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min RealDave 1,172,154
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 29 min ChickBrilliance 307,806
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 40 min SpaceBlues 3,012
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 20 hr Bruin For Life 28,702
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Sun squeezers 728
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (Jun '13) Sat RICK SERVICE 32
San Diego State hoping Dwayne Polee II gets a shot Fri alanparkcity 1
More from around the web