Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#171072 Jul 7, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I remember when you posted you had been getting it on with your
girlfriend and her twin. I posted "How can you tell them apart?" you posted "Her brother's got a mustache. YO
i have no girlfriend bozo i've never had one

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#171073 Jul 7, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you have to prove GOD don't exist...
just did

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#171074 Jul 7, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>you made a specious assertion, you should control yourself from doing that. Your claim put the burden on you. Are you a flunky topix atheist erring like that?
nope try again

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#171075 Jul 7, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> ask some of your topix atheist elders why your claim is an atheist sin. flunky.
atheism isn't a religion and sin doesn't exist

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#171076 Jul 7, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. You are.
You are lying so much that your tongue is black

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#171077 Jul 7, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Les escargots sont bons, mais ils ont besoin de beaucoup d'ail
Bières belges sont aussi bons. Dans le village voisin pour nous, c'est un Irlandais qui a récemment ouvert une brasserie irlandaise, bien stout
Not sure of the word for brewery, brassiere does not look or feel right but three different sources say it’s correct
Pour le déjeuner, je suis finissais le dernier d'une curry thaï que j'avais emballé sous vide par un chef merveilleux qui est un nouveau et bienvenu plus de notre village en France
http://www.fabricelechef.fr/En/welcome.html
Situéà 100 mètres à partir de la route du Petit Paris
http://www.le-petit-paris.fr/
et à la fois dans les 2 minutes à pied de ma maison, que pourrais-je rêver?
In Disneyworld in '78 we did partake of snails and Frogs Legs. The French may have "seeming unusual" foodie faves, but they were delish, from what I remember.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#171078 Jul 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not surprising. You exhibit little ability to think.
However, you are very good at emotional and irrational blurtations.
Again...you completely ignored a question.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#171079 Jul 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Because the authors read "Topix Atheist Forum"??
He's baaaaaaack!

You get paroled again?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#171080 Jul 7, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>you made a specious assertion, you should control yourself from doing that. Your claim put the burden on you. Are you a flunky topix atheist erring like that?
Aaaaaand..

Bongo's back too.

What happened?

You and buck throw Dave out of your love nest?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#171081 Jul 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>I already did.

Hey T-T!

Missed you lots and lots and lots!
It's a reunion!
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#171082 Jul 7, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
Check this out ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6niWzomA_SoXX
Good find!

I found this rather compelling and poignant...

Dear Allah – A Poem

Written by Hassan. A narration by Nesrin.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#171083 Jul 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I already did.
Hey T-T!
WOW long time!!! Its always a joy to see ya on here!!!!!!! BIG WET ONE TO YOU

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171084 Jul 7, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
i have no girlfriend bozo i've never had one
So you date yo hand!!!! OK

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171085 Jul 7, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
atheism isn't a religion and sin doesn't exist
sin don't exist?????? look @ the front page of the news! watch some TV and post another lie!!!!

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#171086 Jul 7, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Again...you completely ignored a question.
you get that alot huh?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#171087 Jul 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I already did.
Hey T-T!
Hey HFY!!! How you been?
Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#171088 Jul 7, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
But even more important, the Bible is supposedly the guide to morality, inspired by a deity.
Why is any of that awful stuff included in such a supposedly wonderful document?
Why does anyone have to make excuses for the filth in it? The "context" argument does not hold.
This is where we disagree. The context argument does hold, but it holds because of more than the words on the page. It holds because we can (if we choose) learn something of the Jewish culture at that time in world history.

Much of what is written in the Old Testament is hyperbole and as such is an exaggeration. Now the next question is obviously; why exaggerate? What purpose could it serve to exaggerate?

In our own modern society we tend to think of any exaggeration as a manipulation. We're skeptical and cynical. But...

In ancient Hebrew culture, hyperbole was like a literary device to add emphasis. It was a written or verbal "highlighter" to make a point really hit home in the heart and mind of the audience.

So when we read of the defeat of the Canaanites or Amalekites, it wasn't genocide or ethnic cleansing. The writers were engaging in hyperbole. Think of what would happen if an alien visited our planet today and read a sports headline about a hockey game but didn't read the rest of the article. "Rangers slaughter Penguins!"

What if the alien asked two different people two different questions?

Alien: "What's a Ranger?"

Person #1: "A ranger is a person who works in the forest protecting wild animals against illegal hunters."

Alien: "Oh, okay. Thank you."

Alien: "What's a penguin?"

Person #2: "A penguin is a small, flightless, aquatic bird."

Alien: "Do penguins live in the forest?"

Person #2: "No, they live an arctic environment and eat fish."

Alien: "Okay, thanks!"

The alien then walks away thinking, "Wow these ranger people are either cruel savages, or the writers of this paper are off their rockers!"

If he had investigated the context a little more thoroughly, the alien would have learned that it was a hockey game, that the Penguins and Rangers were the names of the teams, and the Rangers won the contest. It wouldn't mean that there are thousands of dead penguin corpses littering the forest.

We make the same mistake when we read the bible.

Why?

Because we're aliens to that culture, at that time in history.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#171089 Jul 7, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where we disagree. The context argument does hold, but it holds because of more than the words on the page. It holds because we can (if we choose) learn something of the Jewish culture at that time in world history.
Much of what is written in the Old Testament is hyperbole and as such is an exaggeration. Now the next question is obviously; why exaggerate? What purpose could it serve to exaggerate?
In our own modern society we tend to think of any exaggeration as a manipulation. We're skeptical and cynical. But...
In ancient Hebrew culture, hyperbole was like a literary device to add emphasis. It was a written or verbal "highlighter" to make a point really hit home in the heart and mind of the audience.
So when we read of the defeat of the Canaanites or Amalekites, it wasn't genocide or ethnic cleansing. The writers were engaging in hyperbole. Think of what would happen if an alien visited our planet today and read a sports headline about a hockey game but didn't read the rest of the article. "Rangers slaughter Penguins!"
What if the alien asked two different people two different questions?
Alien: "What's a Ranger?"
Person #1: "A ranger is a person who works in the forest protecting wild animals against illegal hunters."
Alien: "Oh, okay. Thank you."
Alien: "What's a penguin?"
Person #2: "A penguin is a small, flightless, aquatic bird."
Alien: "Do penguins live in the forest?"
Person #2: "No, they live an arctic environment and eat fish."
Alien: "Okay, thanks!"
The alien then walks away thinking, "Wow these ranger people are either cruel savages, or the writers of this paper are off their rockers!"
If he had investigated the context a little more thoroughly, the alien would have learned that it was a hockey game, that the Penguins and Rangers were the names of the teams, and the Rangers won the contest. It wouldn't mean that there are thousands of dead penguin corpses littering the forest.
We make the same mistake when we read the bible.
Why?
Because we're aliens to that culture, at that time in history.
The literary works, official recordings, and just about everything written as late as the 1800's were written that way. Very colorful language.

Still is to a large degree. They use lots of words to confuse things, especially in the sciences.

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#171090 Jul 7, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>So you date yo hand!!!! OK
More than what you'll ever will get bozo

“There is no god!”

Södertälje, Sweden

#171091 Jul 7, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>sin don't exist?????? look @ the front page of the news! watch some TV and post another lie!!!!
Show me evidence for sin bozo.

you are the liar here!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,154,315
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr R C Honey 307,005
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 6 hr LonePalm 2,696
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Bruin For Life 28,405
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 7 hr Joe fortuna 201,179
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Sat Roy the Boy 691
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Dec 16 The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web