Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#170921 Jul 5, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
stil CRAZY eh Daveyboy!
could you name one atheist that WORSHIPS Dawkins,
didnt think so
Not surprising. You exhibit little ability to think.

However, you are very good at emotional and irrational blurtations.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#170922 Jul 5, 2013
tyu

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#170923 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
This is good advice Clownie
Matthew 6:6
And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly.
But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Any particular reason none of you follow it?
LMAO
Something you might of missed from Psalms
" Happy the one who takes and dashes
Your little ones against the rock! "
-- Psalm 137.9.
You do follow this though...
Making "every thought captive DOLP
"For the weapons of our warfare are casting down imaginations ... and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."
– St Paul, 2 Corinthians 10.4,5.
will you get off the reefer? you quoting the bible something you don't believe makes me LMAO! A atheist preaching LOL keep reading and study the whole bible.. get into a good bible study.. STOP MAKING AN @SS OUTTA YOURSELF ON TOPIX!
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#170924 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thoust art a hypocrite.
You don't understand faith, intellect, or people. You are just jerking your knees.
Reread your last 3 paragraphs.
BTW,"groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe" also includes those that went through the educational system. So you are also anti-education.
You don't understand cornerstones of societies. You just react emotionally.
Thou hast spent entirely too much time lying to thyself!

I wager you were one of those that held a sign up at the RNC that said "we built this" based entirely on out of context statements like your Bible.

You have a simple problem you're big on opinion and very short on fact.

Yet...I find you silly people entertaining in some bizarre fashion. If nothing else you're funny!

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170925 Jul 5, 2013
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Adam and Eve were not immortal in the beginning. Gen3:22 And the Lord, God said, Behold the man is become as one o us, to know good and evil{ and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 23 So he drove out the man, and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden, Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, the keep the way of the tree of life.
Does that sound like they were meant to live forever? Doesn`t sound like it to me.
I also use the anology of my little dogs, who don`t know they are naked. If I were to leave a plate of steaks in the middle of the floor and told them not to touch it, how long would I expect the steaks to remain in the plate? And if I returned to find the steaks gone why would I not only punish my dogs, but every dog ever born, forever and ever? It makes no sense. And like Judge Judy likes to say, "If it doesn`t make sense, it isn`t true"
The Bible to me is a book that starts with a fairy tale, and ends with a nightmare, so it is all fiction.
1 cor 2-14 says you can't understand it ... It don't make semse to you because you're dumb! the bible sez so I believe the bible... Your post proves the bible right again...

Lamar, CO

#170926 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Thou hast spent entirely too much time lying to thyself!
I wager you were one of those that held a sign up at the RNC that said "we built this" based entirely on out of context statements like your Bible.
You have a simple problem you're big on opinion and very short on fact.
Yet...I find you silly people entertaining in some bizarre fashion. If nothing else you're funny!
You are a nut case.

"I find you silly people entertaining in some bizarre fashion."

Paranoid delusional.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#170927 Jul 5, 2013
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Adam and Eve were not immortal in the beginning. Gen3:22 And the Lord, God said, Behold the man is become as one o us, to know good and evil{ and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 23 So he drove out the man, and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden, Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, the keep the way of the tree of life.
Does that sound like they were meant to live forever? Doesn`t sound like it to me.
I also use the anology of my little dogs, who don`t know they are naked. If I were to leave a plate of steaks in the middle of the floor and told them not to touch it, how long would I expect the steaks to remain in the plate? And if I returned to find the steaks gone why would I not only punish my dogs, but every dog ever born, forever and ever? It makes no sense. And like Judge Judy likes to say, "If it doesn`t make sense, it isn`t true"
The Bible to me is a book that starts with a fairy tale, and ends with a nightmare, so it is all fiction.
The story about Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden is allegorical. Adam was the tree of knowledge, the serpent was part of his anatomy and what they did was oral sodomy. There is no such thing as original sin, that is a Christian myth. When Adam died and went to heaven, his name was changed to Satan.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#170928 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a nut case.
"I find you silly people entertaining in some bizarre fashion."
Paranoid delusional.
I still find you highly entertaining keep it up I need to laughter

True Bible©

GIGO (Garbage in, garbage out)= Organized Religion(Superstition)

LOOP = True Christian™ circular (Godidit) logic

You = Topix theist

Topix theists posting in atheist forums have a mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration.

Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

They present a persistent sense of inadequacy, a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation.

Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy.

FAGIDABOUDIT !

Maybe you could try Homeopathy to fix your irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis.

Lamar, CO

#170929 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I still find you highly entertaining keep it up I need to laughter
True Bible©
GIGO (Garbage in, garbage out)= Organized Religion(Superstition)
LOOP = True Christian™ circular (Godidit) logic
You = Topix theist
Topix theists posting in atheist forums have a mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration.
Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
They present a persistent sense of inadequacy, a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness through overcompensation.
Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy.
FAGIDABOUDIT !
Maybe you could try Homeopathy to fix your irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis.
You are melting.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170930 Jul 5, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you're saying. In our modern society we have a tendency to explain "why" to others in minute detail. We "dumb down" almost everything. In ancient cultures, this wasn't the case. Right and wrong wasn't explained in terms of "why" because it was usually culturally obvious. This is my reasoning behind my line of argument.
In a modern translation (as I understand it) God was saying:
"There is a tree of life (God), and there is a tree of death (knowledge of good and evil) and I am asking you to follow my instructions because I alone will keep you alive if you follow those instructions. If you choose not to follow my instructions, then you will have to suffer the consequences of choosing your own way,(with your limited knowledge and power) and you won't be able to enjoy immortality with me in the same way you do now."
And God didn't lie. He never said that He would kill them. He said they would die. When God removed them from His presence, they lost the life permitting attributes and properties, and became mortal.
Now onto your next analogy.
If God can create life from nothing, then shouldn't He be powerful enough to restore immortality? There's the difference. If our kids should ever be in a life ending situation (I hope never) you and I are powerless to resurrect them or provide eternal consciousness to them. If God can, then He has an ability that we do not. We protect our kids because we don't have that power.
I believe in both creation and evolution. They are compatible. Maybe not in six days according to our understanding of space and time, but I do believe God started the process.
Explaining the difference between right and wrong to a child can hardly be called "dumbing down" We are NOT talking about an ancient culture here, there were no cultures only these two people. These two people who had no idea about anything. Personally I would have chosen the tree of knowledge over the tree of life. Knowledge is so much more valuable.

You never answered my question about knowing your son would be paralyzed for life and eventually commit suicide. Once again, if you KNEW this was going to happen, and had the power to change the outcome, would you? Simple question.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170931 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you explain the fact your ego is bigger than the whole damned universe?
Pull your head out of your ass and you will see more.
What the hell does my ego have to do with people choosing to be willfully ignorant? Do try and follow the conversation, really!!!

My ego was and still is a necessary component to my success in a very competitive environment. And exactly what more will I see? I am very comfortable with the knowledge I possess about the naturalistic world I am a part of. Please remember you're talking to someone who accepts NOTHING without evidence.
Imhotep

Howey In The Hills, FL

#170932 Jul 5, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>will you get off the reefer? you quoting the bible something you don't believe makes me LMAO! A atheist preaching LOL keep reading and study the whole bible.. get into a good bible study.. STOP MAKING AN @SS OUTTA YOURSELF ON TOPIX!
White widow if you don't mind!

Why not quote the world's most useless book?

Christians make a big deal out of Quoting from it - I do the same!
If you want to say disgusting, ignorant, vile, things that's the perfect book to find your material!

A virtual plethora of filth - incest - mass murder and perversion.

"MAKING AN @SS OUTTA YOURSELF ON TOPIX" Is entirely your domain!

And you do it very very well - in fact with each post.

Ordinarily people live and learn. You just live

Lamar, CO

#170933 Jul 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>What the hell does my ego have to do with people choosing to be willfully ignorant? Do try and follow the conversation, really!!!
My ego was and still is a necessary component to my success in a very competitive environment. And exactly what more will I see? I am very comfortable with the knowledge I possess about the naturalistic world I am a part of. Please remember you're talking to someone who accepts NOTHING without evidence.
"Please remember you're talking to someone who accepts NOTHING without evidence,", except my own magnificence.

There are countless people who have shook the world with their talents more than you have, but they stayed humble.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170934 Jul 5, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
White widow if you don't mind!
Why not quote the world's most useless book?
Christians make a big deal out of Quoting from it - I do the same!
If you want to say disgusting, ignorant, vile, things that's the perfect book to find your material!
A virtual plethora of filth - incest - mass murder and perversion.
"MAKING AN @SS OUTTA YOURSELF ON TOPIX" Is entirely your domain!
And you do it very very well - in fact with each post.
Ordinarily people live and learn. You just live
Matthew 5:11-12

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Thanks for your help !!!! my reward is in heaven !! yours is some place called hell

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#170935 Jul 5, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 5:11-12
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Thanks for your help !!!! my reward is in heaven !! yours is some place called hell
"... when strangers come and abide with ye, afflict them not, nor visit upon them indignities, even though they not believe. For the day may come when ye are among strangers in their own land." - Lev 3.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#170936 Jul 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Please remember you're talking to someone who accepts NOTHING without evidence,", except my own magnificence.
There are countless people who have shook the world with their talents more than you have, but they stayed humble.
There is plenty of evidence for my (as you say) magnificence. Books, CD recordings, a pile of scores a mile high, all accepted as evidence. Most of the really important people who have shook the musical world were all self-centered, egotistical, driven people. Wagner was convinced he was a God and completely changed music. Listen to Lenard Bernstein rehearsing West Side Story. Barbara Strisand was an over the top diva, as were Sarah Vaughn, Peggy Lee, Gloria Estevan, and many other I have played for. Stravinsky, and Mahler both tyrants when it came to their music. It's a world you are totally unaware of, and should not comment on things you are ignorant of. I'm sure however, this won't stop you from embarrassing yourself.

Lamar, CO

#170937 Jul 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is plenty of evidence for my (as you say) magnificence. Books, CD recordings, a pile of scores a mile high, all accepted as evidence. Most of the really important people who have shook the musical world were all self-centered, egotistical, driven people. Wagner was convinced he was a God and completely changed music. Listen to Lenard Bernstein rehearsing West Side Story. Barbara Strisand was an over the top diva, as were Sarah Vaughn, Peggy Lee, Gloria Estevan, and many other I have played for. Stravinsky, and Mahler both tyrants when it came to their music. It's a world you are totally unaware of, and should not comment on things you are ignorant of. I'm sure however, this won't stop you from embarrassing yourself.
Uh huh.

Judging from your frequent references to the competition and your survival in the business it appears fear may have been most instrumental in your motivation, and since you were locked into that insular little world of struggle perhaps you missed something larger.

Those audiences you referred to were humans like yourself. You may get a bit of stage fright when you submit your resume to a more critical audience in the future. One that has heard it all before.

I would suggest in your audition for them you include the bit where you can play your horn while shelling peanuts for the squirrels. A neat little skill developed from your Sunday sunset serenades you invited them to attend. That audience appreciates kindness to the little animals. They might give you a pass. You would have some saving grace.

Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#170938 Jul 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Explaining the difference between right and wrong to a child can hardly be called "dumbing down" We are NOT talking about an ancient culture here, there were no cultures only these two people. These two people who had no idea about anything. Personally I would have chosen the tree of knowledge over the tree of life. Knowledge is so much more valuable.
You never answered my question about knowing your son would be paralyzed for life and eventually commit suicide. Once again, if you KNEW this was going to happen, and had the power to change the outcome, would you? Simple question.
As a human being, yes I would. It's parental nature to protect children. However, an omnipotent God who can create life from non-life would have no problem restoring life and/or limb, right?

That's why the analogy you're presenting doesn't compare. You and I cannot restore life to our kids if they should die. God can, and has said He will restore immortality to the entire human race if we trust Him to do so.

My understanding of the word "knowledge" as it's presented in the context of the tree in the garden of Eden doesn't mean academic knowledge. My understanding of the context is that of "being aware."
An illustration may be helpful to explain the way in which I understand it.

Suppose you exit a convenience store after purchasing gasoline for your automobile. You see 2 young men watching you as you walk to your car. You have to turn your back to them as you enter the vehicle but you still are aware of their presence. You "know" they're still there, and likely still watching you. A glance in your rear-view mirror confirms your "knowledge" of this occurrence.

This is my own personal understanding of the word "knowledge" as it relates to the "tree of knowledge" within the context of "the fall of man."

Also, as a side note, the name "Adam" in Hebrew means "man." Some theologians believe that God created an entire culture from a single "template" and named the entire human race "Adam" and also chose one man whom He named "Adam" specifically. I have to admit that I'm not certain as to the truthfulness or accuracy of this theological school of thought, nor it's origin. Like I said, if I don't know an answer, I'll tell you I don't. I hope my answers have given you some insight into different thoughts and interpretations. Have a great evening!

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170939 Jul 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"... when strangers come and abide with ye, afflict them not, nor visit upon them indignities, even though they not believe. For the day may come when ye are among strangers in their own land." - Lev 3.
you are not a stanger... mac stay off the atheist sites !!!! stay off people sites like dawkins the little weasel... a known liar LOL

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170940 Jul 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"... when strangers come and abide with ye, afflict them not, nor visit upon them indignities, even though they not believe. For the day may come when ye are among strangers in their own land." - Lev 3.
paste lev-3 for me mac

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Bill 1,219,996
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr temizcmhr 29,628
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) 1 hr Yogurt Nads 82
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr EasyEed 309,670
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 14 hr Earthling-1 5,295
Conor Clifford 7ft center to commit to Utah. Apr 19 UHB 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 16 ocean 201,862
More from around the web