Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256555 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#170698 Jul 3, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were true to your faith of atheism, Christians and Christianity would not be bothering you in any way and you have no NEED to be on this forum arguing about God. You would never, ever, ever have religion on your mind and have the NEED to blaspheme and scoff at God and Christians.
But because you DO HAVE THAT NEED, it proves you are weak in your faith in atheism and are failing miserably.
I love to watch an atheist having his meltdown.
Atheism isn't a faith and you are the one complaining about atheists doing this and that in a atheism forum

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#170699 Jul 3, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were true to your faith of atheism....
Fallacy from the start, the rest is discarded as rambling.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#170700 Jul 3, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, adrenaline flow heightens the senses when danger is perceived. You've probably heard of the 'fight or flight' response. That's before bodily trauma, afterwards some people go into shock. Why?
There is excellent research on trauma shock. NDEs are a more recent medical experience. Someone with a more medical background than I would be able to explain it better.
Just because you want an answer now, Now, NOW...doesn't mean you'll get one. The sooner the mystics and frauds quit muddying the waters the quicker we'll get some verifiable proof.
Sound good? I'm grateful that sensations of pain receded and my mind was calm, polymath's explanation resonates with me.
Just keep the faith "they" will figure it all out, eh?

In the meantime use those vague references to chemical processes, etc, etc as the basis for your religion.

Sorry, sweet, I am one for details.

You sound like a fundie in your reasoning.

Westcliffe, CO

#170701 Jul 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we discussing machines or biological processes? Either one I can discuss, but the two are not comparable in this manner you wish to compare them.
Machines and biological processes follow the same physical laws. Just different in how they are configured to transfer energy.

You seem to think organic life is removed from those laws. Odd for an evolutionist to think that.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#170702 Jul 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Machines and biological processes follow the same physical laws. Just different in how they are configured to transfer energy.
You seem to think organic life is removed from those laws. Odd for an evolutionist to think that.
Same physical laws, but *very* different manifestations of those laws. You seem to think that simply because copper is a good conductor, so is wood. It's the same physical laws both ways, right?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#170703 Jul 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just keep the faith "they" will figure it all out, eh?
In the meantime use those vague references to chemical processes, etc, etc as the basis for your religion.
Sorry, sweet, I am one for details.
You sound like a fundie in your reasoning.
Garbage. You tend to talk in glittering generalities most of the time and only ask for details when someone disagrees with you. For example, you tend to ignore the 'details' of the differences between say, electric fields and magnetic fields. You tend to ignore the details of the differences between biological organisms and mechanical machines. You ignore the details of such things as the *size* of currents and the length of time of reactions.

Sorry, you are NOT one for details.

Westcliffe, CO

#170704 Jul 3, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Same physical laws, but *very* different manifestations of those laws. You seem to think that simply because copper is a good conductor, so is wood. It's the same physical laws both ways, right?
It's unbecoming of a physicist to worship life, Poly. That is what you are doing.

Copper is a purer conductor, requiring less potential difference to get a charge to transfer.

Lightning is notorious for hitting trees, Poly.

The Seebeck=Peltier Effect applies to most materials. Differences in potential causes charges to move, with accompanying heat and other thingies values being changed.

The basis of your abiogenesis is charges moving and combining.

As I have pointed out before, you are myopic in your "knowledge". You can't see the forest for the trees.

It's a bipolar universe. That is why things can move.

While you are here, maybe you can figure something and give us an answer. Only something a physicist and math head can do.

Using your knowledge and skills, can you figure some balance of forces for us?

This is with NO external forces working on them. Pure values established by physics.

Using the diameter of a proton as the base, can you give us the ratio of the distance between it and the electron cloud surrounding it in a single hydrogen atom? This is also incorporating the force of gravity between the two. Now, let's add another hydrogen atom. We will now have the EM repulsion between the electron clouds, and the additional gravity. Can you figure the distances and geometry of these particles and give them to us as ratios, sort of like how AU's are given. How will the balance of forces shape these items?

Westcliffe, CO

#170705 Jul 3, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Garbage. You tend to talk in glittering generalities most of the time and only ask for details when someone disagrees with you. For example, you tend to ignore the 'details' of the differences between say, electric fields and magnetic fields. You tend to ignore the details of the differences between biological organisms and mechanical machines. You ignore the details of such things as the *size* of currents and the length of time of reactions.
Sorry, you are NOT one for details.
You are ignoring them.

Electric and magnetic fields are tied together.

You can produce electricity from magnetic fields or you can do it with chemicals. Same process, different scale. You can force atoms together with gravity or the bonding of atoms pushing against them, such as a hydraulic press. They will both produce heat.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#170706 Jul 3, 2013
Why?

And what meltdown?
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#170707 Jul 3, 2013
Osama bin-Saban wrote:
<quoted text> Give 'em hell, Clown! Oh, never mind they'll get it soon enough! Some pertinent info for you ... Artie the Anointed is currently standing at ground zero in the Great Temple of Knowledge, Truth & Wisdom! Yep, he's soaking in all the knowledge of the universe. The boy is like a gigantic sponge! Soaking in all the mysteries, thoughts, dreams, knowledge, wisdom, truths, and, and, and... even the astonishing universal, unbelievable statistics and innuendoes of a Broadway José Trilogy. He misses nothing that is pertinent to life on Earth ... or, anywhere else in the un-bordered universe. What a guy!!!:)
He will add so much to this thread... We need a man that will take a stand ...

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170708 Jul 3, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism isn't a faith and you are the one complaining about atheists doing this and that in a atheism forum
you're dumb

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#170709 Jul 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Read Isaiah 45:7, dimwit.
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." - KJV.
I believe that! do you?

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#170710 Jul 3, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I heard that the expensive Kevlar they dropped is back in the tyres.
Do you also think that part of this is down to the tyres lasting quite a bit longer than they did in 2012?
<quoted text>
I don’t think it was down to time. Hamilton has only on Lap 7 with 2 more in the next 8 laps. All well inside the supposed wear limit of the tyre

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#170711 Jul 3, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>He will add so much to this thread... We need a man that will take a stand ...
Talking to yourself again, time to see you doctor about upping your meds
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#170712 Jul 3, 2013
Poor Lewis. His gearbox broke in front of us in Singapore.
Lewis was on pole there too.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t think it was down to time. Hamilton has only on Lap 7 with 2 more in the next 8 laps. All well inside the supposed wear limit of the tyre

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#170713 Jul 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ignoring them.
You can produce electricity from magnetic fields or you can do it with chemicals. Same process, different scale. You can force atoms together with gravity or the bonding of atoms pushing against them, such as a hydraulic press. They will both produce heat.
No, it is NOT the same process. Gravity has almost nothing to do with this situation. To see why, calculate the electric force between an electron and a proton at a typical atomic distance (say,.059 nm) and then compute the gravitational force between the same electron and proton. What is the ratio between the two forces?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#170714 Jul 3, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ignoring them.
But they are not the same thing.

Westcliffe, CO

#170715 Jul 3, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
But they are not the same thing.
Can you have one without the other?

Westcliffe, CO

#170716 Jul 3, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is NOT the same process. Gravity has almost nothing to do with this situation. To see why, calculate the electric force between an electron and a proton at a typical atomic distance (say,.059 nm) and then compute the gravitational force between the same electron and proton. What is the ratio between the two forces?
You are the math whiz. I asked you to do that.

Gravity has to have something to do with it. Don't you base your entire physics and cosmology on it? I thought gravity helped keep the electron bound. Perhaps you can enlighten us on how things "really" work.

Gravity is additive.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#170717 Jul 3, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were true to your faith of atheism, Christians and Christianity would not be bothering you in any way and you have no NEED to be on this forum arguing about God. You would never, ever, ever have religion on your mind and have the NEED to blaspheme and scoff at God and Christians.
But because you DO HAVE THAT NEED, it proves you are weak in your faith in atheism and are failing miserably.
many of the Atheists here, including myself, feel that religion is a danger to our society, it always has been. Religion is divisive and pigeonholes individual groups into clans. Each feeling their religion is the ONLY true one. Each clan draws an insurmountable line in the sand, and once crossed all sort of violent behavior insures.

People who believe things for NO good reason are dangerous. People who have NEVER met, know nothing about the other, have no problem wishing them eternal torture in lakes of fire. That is what religion brings. No true unity of the human race can ever happen with hundreds of exclusive clubs claiming ownership over the others.

I consider this a war for our species, a war against the poison that religion brings to our species. I come here at times just to marvel at the unbelievable ignorance displayed by those of religion, and am constantly awed by the dedication that Theists have over a totally unsupported belief. They build their entire lives and those around them on things that are only imagined, so substance, no evidence, only delusion. I find it pitiful!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min sonicfilter 1,418,558
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 3 hr Earthling-1 10,065
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr ThomasA 311,613
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr BFL 32,327
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web