Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255504 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#169838 Jun 24, 2013
Joe fortun wrote:
<quoted text>. I wasn't justifying anything, but if that's what you want to think, and it makes you feel better go for it. I don't hold any antagonism. I just believe organized religion has turned a lot of good people bad, and is not good when it has control of any government. My reasons are in the past, and the Middle East today. One more thing I'm not a atheist, I believe in a deity just not the same as organized religion .
Thank you for clarifying and my apologies for a hasty generalisation about your views.:-)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#169839 Jun 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Man hasn't grown up.
Technology has advanced but the same unreasonable appeal to idols and the same worship of self is still very much evident, you confuse technological advancement with moral advancement.
Men still run from God so they can satisfy their lusts and desires, reducing them to illogicity...
Since you cannot produce evidence that your god is real, there is no harm in discarding that myth. As a species though we have advance ethically, fewer wars, less violence, and more equality over most of the globe. So your entire assertion is invalid.

Location hidden

#169840 Jun 24, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has decided. Its the tool we all use to measure physical reality and thats why religious people are so afraid of science - because it exposes their age old lies and false moralising.
Fallacy of reification, science cannot decide anything, men presenting their ideas and observations is the basis for scientific observation and commentary.

Your argument also suggests that scientific knowledge is now a closed book.

A flat earth argument...

Location hidden

#169841 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you cannot produce evidence that your god is real, there is no harm in discarding that myth. As a species though we have advance ethically, fewer wars, less violence, and more equality over most of the globe. So your entire assertion is invalid.
Since you assume empirical naturalism is the basiis for all knowledge, you exclude the means by which knowledge is gained.

Do you really believe human nature has improved?

Humanity sacrifices more children now than ever were sacrificed in ancient times, it just denies it by refusing to call the children children...

What is the standard of morality you are appealing to by the way?.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#169842 Jun 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you, Batty. It is heartening to see you have the ability to discern that.
You should publish.

It's your responsibility to save the world.

Only you can do it, Dave.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#169843 Jun 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Then you don't understand Christian thinking,

It is apparent most Topix atheist on here don't either. Blatant displays of emotional reaction to the perversions of ideas by those who use it for personal advancement, ignoring the underlying messages. Humanism and every other social/religious/political thought suffers from the same thing. Charlatans and demagogues. Topix atheists just jumped from one group to another. Hardly "free thinkers". Emotional reactionists. Putty in the hands of those that know how to mold them.
Yup.

We question nothing.

If its on the Internet, it HAS to be true.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#169844 Jun 24, 2013
bONGO wrote:
<quoted text> Can we assume you are large and promiscuous
You can assume what you want, thatÂ’s does not make it fact

But I see you refuse to answer my question, not surprising really, it must be so embarrassing for you.

#169845 Jun 24, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post, Christine.
I agree with you in all respects.
Cheers.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#169846 Jun 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one reciting from textbooks, sweetness. You don't find much of that in my posts. That means I think and analyze on my own. Try it sometime if you get the urge to break out of your comfort bubble within reality.
It means you spin magnets around in your garage.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#169847 Jun 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Skeptic, I meet you and others on here and I'm not polite.
What's your beef with me?
Got your message. Is that "we" that has my IP you and your gerbil, a Topix atheist gang, or the intelligent people of the world like you?
It's the topix atheist gang. We're exterminating you one by one with the power of science.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#169848 Jun 24, 2013
Run from that which has no proof of existing?

And yes mankind is growing up. When you exhale do you believe that is your spirit leaving the body? Do you think that by flapping your arms and chanting it will stop that thunder storm from proceeding? Do you think sacrificing animals and your children will bring about a good harvest?

Mankind has grown up and it's time to put away childish things.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Man hasn't grown up.

Technology has advanced but the same unreasonable appeal to idols and the same worship of self is still very much evident, you confuse technological advancement with moral advancement.

Men still run from God so they can satisfy their lusts and desires, reducing them to illogicity...

United States

#169849 Jun 24, 2013
If you require batteries Dave keep it to yourself. You may watch as I shoot my man yogurt all over your daughter's face if you don't believe me.

Let me know of you wanna take me up on that.

But anyways, yes you are the senile dithering old man who comes here to be mocked and laughed at for your tinfoil hat ideas. Glad you know your role.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Butchy, as I write this there are 947 people logged onto ALL of the Top Stories forums. Once in while it may go over 2000 if there is a real hot topic going.

There aren't many on here. Your atheist army is a little sparse.

However, I am pleased that I can provide you and your Johnson some amusement. Perhaps if you changed the batteries in it you wouldn't need me so much.

United States

#169850 Jun 24, 2013
Yes I have seen it spelled several different ways, your posted ways are the most common.

Few if any dictators have been more brutal and shed more blood than the Russian royalty who proudly killed in the name of Jesus
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Also, in English, it's either "Tsar" or "Czar".

Ask a cruciverbalist.

#169851 Jun 24, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Humanity was killed in Noahs' flood because they were wicked. Pharoah caused the judgment of the death of the firstborn to fall upon himself by plotting to kill the first born of Israel. If you want to play hardball, God can play hardball.
Any excuse for genocide is still just an excuse for genocide. It is a story in a book of mythology makes such a claim, facts prove this claim as yet another god book myth. That does not stop the spiteful, nasty, jealous and genocidal nature of the god you worship being advertised in your god book.

Something you fail to understand is that Pharaoh was himself a god to his people, that godhead had existed for at least 4000 years before the god of Abraham was even thought up as a mythical rallying cry in slave revolt.

It was not Pharaoh that is claimed killed the first born of Egypt, it was your god in a fit of jealous rage, it does not matter where you try and lay the blame, it is written in your godbook. Read it and weep.

Exodus 12:29

So you think lies are hardball, you must be christian eh?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#169853 Jun 24, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Any excuse for genocide is still just an excuse for genocide. It is a story in a book of mythology makes such a claim, facts prove this claim as yet another god book myth. That does not stop the spiteful, nasty, jealous and genocidal nature of the god you worship being advertised in your god book.
Something you fail to understand is that Pharaoh was himself a god to his people, that godhead had existed for at least 4000 years before the god of Abraham was even thought up as a mythical rallying cry in slave revolt.
It was not Pharaoh that is claimed killed the first born of Egypt, it was your god in a fit of jealous rage, it does not matter where you try and lay the blame, it is written in your godbook. Read it and weep.
and you want his wrath on you? what a fool

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#169854 Jun 24, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>and you want his wrath on you? what a fool
Bill Gates atheist and not a fool, correct your bible, its wrong.
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#169855 Jun 24, 2013
Many believers only believe through fear of god's wrath.
Their heads got messed up by the usual religious lies when they were young.
Religion should not be for under 18s.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#169856 Jun 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Run from that which has no proof of existing?
And yes mankind is growing up. When you exhale do you believe that is your spirit leaving the body? Do you think that by flapping your arms and chanting it will stop that thunder storm from proceeding? Do you think sacrificing animals and your children will bring about a good harvest?
Mankind has grown up and it's time to put away childish things.
<quoted text>
I appreciate you wanted to share your opinion here, but I need a little bit more than that to be persuaded.

Has crime stopped recently?

Has ware stopped recently?

Making arbitrary claims, like you have done here, is of little value and does not support your case.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#169857 Jun 24, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a Christian and the living God was around long before there was even an Egypt. She was present in the garden of Eden. God gave us life and it is in Gods power to take it away.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#169858 Jun 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you assume empirical naturalism is the basiis for all knowledge, you exclude the means by which knowledge is gained.
Do you really believe human nature has improved?
Humanity sacrifices more children now than ever were sacrificed in ancient times, it just denies it by refusing to call the children children...
What is the standard of morality you are appealing to by the way?.
Observe, identify, test, test again, test some more, test until it hurts .... then understand. That is how knowledge is gained, not by hands clasped in prayer, and not by mumbling a bunch of nonsense to a non-existent deity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min President Trump 1,394,988
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 17 min Too Easy 9,827
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr Truth is might 311,332
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat Bruin For Life 32,288
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 13 Dump Trump 201,862
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web