Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
162,861 - 162,880 of 225,655 Comments Last updated 13 min ago

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Check your diaper before you go to bed gramps.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Really? I've been on this for a while, and the PTAG since Dec 2010. I don't recall seeing your name until recently.

However, I do very much recognize your model of Topix atheist. We will give you a test drive later.

Goodnight. Us old timers need our sleep.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I've been on this for a while, and the PTAG since Dec 2010. I don't recall seeing your name until recently.
However, I do very much recognize your model of Topix atheist. We will give you a test drive later.
Goodnight. Us old timers need our sleep.
Apparently, you didn't notice that I started in 07 and that you talk almost twice as much as I do.

I have other things to do besides Topix and I leave a thread occasionally when it fizzles out/the trolls have been thoroughly disproven....they keep on bleating....but who cares;0)

Good night, oldtimer.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, you didn't notice that I started in 07 and that you talk almost twice as much as I do.
I have other things to do besides Topix and I leave a thread occasionally when it fizzles out/the trolls have been thoroughly disproven....they keep on bleating....but who cares;0)
Good night, oldtimer.
If anyone understands you talking , then esp is for real. I'll have to use the keyboard.
Just messing with you. lol Did you hear what I said?
Wait, I'm trying to send you a mental picture,........
phooey n/m it hurts. lmao
Siro

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Did not the god of the bible send physical proof in the form of manna from heaven, his only begotton son or the fire of pentecost?
If manna is the visible physical effect then what was the cause?
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
He supposedly gave us the rainbow...but oops! we now know it's a refraction of light and a natural phenomena.
Same from above applies here.
Is nature self created? And how do all the different components work together and how was this arranged?
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't the bible say that he can touch our hearts? Then why must we have faith?
He can touch our hearts and on the same level it is your choice whether or not to have faith.
If you choose not to have faith, he can choose not to touch your heart.
Its not all about you....you know.
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get me wrong, I was raised in the church, tithed and taught a SS class for 10 years, all on "faith." I studied the bible from cover to cover and finally the contradictions, the supernatural nonsense and the evasive non answers to my questions brought me round. I left the church, a weight seemed to lift from my shoulders and I've never regretted it.
Even the story of doubting Thomas exhorts us to not question, not search too terribly closely or doubt any line that is spoon fed to us.
The final hook is eternal life, very few can turn that one down. If not by factual knowledge, at least by fervent hopes do they cling to that.
You cling to hope and barring a 'divine touch' I'll stick with verifiable facts.
Sounds like you have a problem with the religion you were in - not God.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing something.
Thousands of years and the beliefs are still here. Those people were just as intelligent and logical, maybe more so, than we are today. Must be something evidence wise to span the generations.
Atheism and its beliefs have existed, too. But the percentage has always been negligible. Must be a lack of evidence to support them.
I am impressed how confidently you use appeals to popularity. A similar argument could have been used for spontaneous generation a few hundred years back.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Even Aristotle and his contemporaries thought flies came from meat! And here we are, thousands of years later, and everyone still believes it! Must mean *something!*

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Did not the god of the bible send physical proof in the form of manna from heaven, his only begotton son or the fire of pentecost?
He supposedly gave us the rainbow...but oops! we now know it's a refraction of light and a natural phenomena. Doesn't the bible say that he can touch our hearts? Then why must we have faith?
Don't get me wrong, I was raised in the church, tithed and taught a SS class for 10 years, all on "faith." I studied the bible from cover to cover and finally the contradictions, the supernatural nonsense and the evasive non answers to my questions brought me round. I left the church, a weight seemed to lift from my shoulders and I've never regretted it.
Even the story of doubting Thomas exhorts us to not question, not search too terribly closely or doubt any line that is spoon fed to us.
The final hook is eternal life, very few can turn that one down. If not by factual knowledge, at least by fervent hopes do they cling to that.
You cling to hope and barring a 'divine touch' I'll stick with verifiable facts.
I'm impressed you were able to break free after so long. I got out early. When I was in sunday school one day, I decided to ask my teacher if jesus had sinned when he got angry and broke up the money changers market - since anger was a sin. Silence. Granted, a more formidable theological mind could have probably set my mind at ease (he could have told me about the "good anger" of righteous indignation), but that reaction was enough to sow the seeds of doubt early.
Thinking

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

What did the badgers do wrong? If you are mental enough to believe the flood story literally, all but two of the badgers got whacked too.
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I wondered who would come up with that, I just wonder why your god couldn't put a stop to it if he's such a hardball kind of guy.
Alas, you conveniently left out the third example; "as for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves”.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing something.
Thousands of years and the beliefs are still here. Those people were just as intelligent and logical, maybe more so, than we are today. Must be something evidence wise to span the generations.
Atheism and its beliefs have existed, too. But the percentage has always been negligible. Must be a lack of evidence to support them.
Lying about god will not excuse your bulsh*t.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It requires faith in the judgment of the skeptic by the skeptic..
There's no such thing as god. If you disagree, you need to provide proof.

You've had since the biggining of recorded time itself to prove that you are not liars.

You've failed. How long do you think you can go on lying to people about god, before people wise up and demand proof?

Since: Jun 13

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are right, mooze. Not much at all was really said. But I do have some thoughts on the subject.
Those who value science are people who have faith in verifiable data and observed results of experiments. Religion is something they judge on their own, regardless of what they were taught.
Those who value faith above science are people who have faith in parents, teachers and other authority figures who taught them their religion.
There are high and low IQs in both groups, though there is a greater tendency towards high IQs in the science related group.
The core value for each is faith: faith in data & observation; or faith in some trusted members of society.
there is no faith involved in science only factual evidence when chemist makes a medication to send to the pharmacy they dont have "faith" that it will work when sound is created scientist dont have "faith" that the sound waves will travel they know adsacly what will happen

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Is nature self created? And how do all the different components work together and how was this arranged?
<quoted text>
He can touch our hearts and on the same level it is your choice whether or not to have faith.
<quoted text>
Full of sh*t defeated creationist with no proof of god, shamelessly lying to people thousands of times more intelligent than himself.
Bongo

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. You are observant, but a bit off on the cause.
I had some serious success this week.
getting your consolation ol snatcher?
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

-Skatip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Full of sh*t defeated creationist with no proof of god, shamelessly lying to people thousands of times more intelligent than himself.
As if anyone gives a sh1t for anything you say.

Since: Jun 13

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>

this should go down in the encylepedia as a text book example of ignorance and idiocy

on another note creationist need to learn that just because every detail of the universe hasnt been ironed out or unraveled with science yet doesnt automaticly means that your mythological being known as god exsist by defalt
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

ignorance is bliss86 wrote:
<quoted text>
this should go down in the encylepedia as a text book example of ignorance and idiocy
on another note creationist need to learn that just because every detail of the universe hasnt been ironed out or unraveled with science yet doesnt automaticly means that your mythological being known as god exsist by defalt
This ^^^ definitely should.
Looks like daddy-o wasted his hedge fund trying to educate a spoiled rich kid deadsh!t like you

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Versus the idiot boys and girls getting on here claiming moral superiority in the name of mankind to approve dozens of vile and dastardly deeds.

I find it very difficult to worship mankind, and impossible to worship any man.

But perhaps you can.
But you have no trouble worshipping god.

How ironic.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>People get sensitized and reactive when they are called idiots and names for their beliefs. That is why I react to these Topix atheist idiots. I started out and made a mistake of not calling theists idiots and they jumped on me. They made me do it.

But, back to worshiping men, which Topix atheists do, I haveone question I would like them to answer.

Given that every government has a chief executive, a top dog that runs it, even democracies, I would like to know what man or woman alive today would they trust their lives and happiness to by giving them absolute authority over such. Such an individual, or small group of individuals, will determine morals, correct thinking, and all other aspects deemed NECESSARY at the time for smooth social advancement. Those leaders will be answerable only to themselves.

Who is their Superhero?
Spider-Man.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Poor baby.

You are so victimized.

Sob.

Did "they" also make you into the buffoon that you are?

Or did your god do that?
It's that "head vs. wall" mentality of Dave's.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm impressed you were able to break free after so long. I got out early. When I was in sunday school one day, I decided to ask my teacher if jesus had sinned when he got angry and broke up the money changers market - since anger was a sin. Silence. Granted, a more formidable theological mind could have probably set my mind at ease (he could have told me about the "good anger" of righteous indignation), but that reaction was enough to sow the seeds of doubt early.
Your reacted to an old book in your youth. It being the only religion or spiritual education you knew your reaction was focused on that religion and portrayal of the spiritual world. You were unable to view existence and spiritual matters outside that paradigm, so your reaction became not just a denial of that religion, but of existence beyond this physical. You went off into the wilderness blind, so to speak.

Don't feel alone. You, I, and countless millions or billions did the same thing. Reaction to the only thing you were taught which blinded you to other possibilities. Kind of stuck on stupid. So you defaulted to the "scientism" religion.

Here is a fact.

If your religious training was based upon The Book of Einstein and you detected inconsistencies and errors like you did in the Bible, you would be railing against science right now.

There is middle ground.

Be skeptical about everything.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 51 min shinningelectr0n 1,096,122
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Pearl Jam 305,390
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr Bruin For Life 26,971
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Aug 19 RICK SERVICE 28
loan needed (Dec '13) Aug 12 Simon 5
loan offer (Jun '13) Aug 10 Tram 81
Na Aug 9 rrg cgr 1

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••