Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
162,801 - 162,820 of 224,042 Comments Last updated 9 min ago
Imhotep

Dade City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard you were so drunk at a party that then when you walked across the room to get another beer you won the dance contest.
LOL. ;)

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Wilson runs a nail factory and decides his business needs a bit of advertising. He has a chat with a friend who works in marketing and he offers to make a TV ad for Wilson's Nails.

"Give me a week," says the friend, "and I'll be back with a tape."

A week goes by and the marketing executive comes to see Wilson. He puts a cassette in the video and presses play. A Roman soldier is busy nailing Jesus to the cross. He turns to face the camera and says with a grin "Use Wilson's Nails, they'll hold anything."

Wilson goes mad shouting: "What is the matter with you? They'll never show that on TV. Give it another try, but no more Romans crucifying Jesus!"

Another week goes by and the marketing man comes back to see Wilson with another tape. He puts it in the machine and hits play. This time the camera pans out from a Roman standing with his arms folded to show Jesus on the cross. The Roman looks up at him and says 'Wilson's Nails, they'll hold anything'.

Wilson is beside himself. "You don't understand: I don't want anything with Jesus on the cross! Now listen, I'll give you one last chance. Come back in a week with an advertisement that I can broadcast."

A week passes and Wilson waits impatiently. The marketing executive arrives and puts on the new video. A naked man with long hair, gasping for breath, is running across a field. About a dozen Roman soldiers come over the hill, hot on his trail. One of them turns to camera and says 'If only we had used Wilson's Nails!'.
Imhotep

Dade City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

~~~~~\\\\|
~~~~(@@)
~oOo--O--oOoU.S. PROMISES SMOOTH TRANSFER OF QUAGMIRE FROM AFGHANISTAN TO SYRIA

DAMASCUS (The Borowitz Report)—Supporters of the United States’ twelve-year quagmire in Afghanistan cheered the news today that the U.S. would strive to achieve a seamless transfer of that quagmire to Syria, effective immediately.

Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, sought to reassure those who were concerned that the U.S. withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan signalled a wavering of the nation’s commitment to being mired in open-ended military muddles.

“I can tell you, right here and right now, that the U.S. is every bit as determined to engage in an ill-defined, ill-advised and seemingly interminable mission in Syria as we were in Afghanistan,” Gen. Dempsey said.“All that’s changing is the Zip Code.”

General Dempsey said that the same tribal hatreds, sectarian violence, and untrustworthy alliances that made Afghanistan a quicksand-like morass are very much in evidence in Syria:“I am confident that we could be involved in Syria for many, many years before figuring out why we are there.”

Harland Dorrinson, executive director of the National Quagmire Institute, a think tank dedicated to promoting the United States’ involvement in intractable conflicts around the globe, said he found General Dempsey’s words about Syria reassuring:“I felt a lot better after hearing what he had to say, and I know a lot of defense contractors felt the same way.”

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
I have early memories of gong to church as a family when I was four. I loved the singing, the pink wafer biscuits and the orange cordial in Sunday school. I find I get the same feeling when I'm in any group singing. But it didn't last long my Dad was Atheist my Mother "hopes" there is something. I do act in a respectful way of people I have worked with that are religious, try not to blaspheme. Imagine signing up for Scientology, with all we know yet people still do. There is a few local kids that became Muslim. One kid who's Dad is a Muslim has spent most of the kids life in jail, became one. He didn't appear to believe in God before, and it didn't help him stop his drug dealing, taking, fornicating etc. what's the point? With all we know about the earth they are joining a religion that thinks we've only been here a few thousand years. It astounds me. So thankful my parents weren't religious, and my Father wanted us to look.
My early life was somewhat different, I went to church because my parents were (they are not now) CofE christian and expected me to be indoctrinated in the same way. However I am dyslexic, i.e. not perfect as god made us (according to the congregation) and so was treated as a second class child, mocked and ridiculed because I was unable to read from the babble. Such treatment is quite traumatic to a child and when I was diagnosed (age 14) the huge weight of christian oppression was lifted. The church lost me (and my parents) for their callus, bordering on brutal behaviour.

I have since been subject to and seen first hand what true christian love does to a person. My aunt lost an arm and I was (not seriously but quite painfully) injured in the IRA bombing of Manchester. Christians attempted to kill my children by tipping their pushchair in front of a moving bus (and escaped into a church where the priest denied all knowledge of them). I have several other stories both personal and general of such christian love.

Funnily enough my old vicar tracked me down recently (25 years after events) to apologise and asked me to rejoin his flock. Can you guess the reply he got?

The point of all this is that I don’t really have any objection to religion, nor to the majority of christians who for the most part are decent human beings,(my best friend sits about as high in the BAC church as a woman can get). Religion can be a comfort to those who practice it. What I object to is the lies and twisted morality that some few twisted head cases spew in the name of their god. Just like in all religions christianity spawns a small group of fanatics, haters, liars, terrorist, murderers (including child murder) and even genocide that they justify by hiding behind there god. Topix has more than is share.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Clownie why do you believe in god?
Because no one else will have him

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>It is unfortunate we have to suffer the effects of such a simply constructed mind as yours ejaculating thoughts before they are mature all over these forums.

You can't see an all encompassing life force, deity, or whatever you want to call it from your physical human perspective. You couldn't see it directly, nor could you feel it directly, nor could you hear it directly. As a physical manifestation that would be like floating down a river. You don't feel the full force of the river, just the forces diverted trying to get you to move.

The Biblical story reveals an all powerful force that created something. It used to communicate with it. Then this thingy felt separate, and it lost the ability to communicate directly. This powerful force became frustrated with trying to reach this dense object in its midst, an object that couldn't see it directly. It finally dawned on it that it would have to manifest a part of itself as one of these dense objects to tell it how to get back home. The light was still in the window.

However, some of these dense objects get real dense, and will never see the light. When they dissolve back into the river they don't do it as the coherent, or semi-coherent, assemblages of this life energy they were formed from. The current washes them away you could say.

Now, go switch on your Johnson, Butch, get to thinking, and come back to us again.
Take another laxative Dave.

The shit is backing up into your headpan.

Since: Mar 11

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
My early life was somewhat different, I went to church because my parents were (they are not now) CofE christian and expected me to be indoctrinated in the same way. However I am dyslexic, i.e. not perfect as god made us (according to the congregation) and so was treated as a second class child, mocked and ridiculed because I was unable to read from the babble. Such treatment is quite traumatic to a child and when I was diagnosed (age 14) the huge weight of christian oppression was lifted. The church lost me (and my parents) for their callus, bordering on brutal behaviour.
I have since been subject to and seen first hand what true christian love does to a person. My aunt lost an arm and I was (not seriously but quite painfully) injured in the IRA bombing of Manchester. Christians attempted to kill my children by tipping their pushchair in front of a moving bus (and escaped into a church where the priest denied all knowledge of them). I have several other stories both personal and general of such christian love.
Funnily enough my old vicar tracked me down recently (25 years after events) to apologise and asked me to rejoin his flock. Can you guess the reply he got?
The point of all this is that I don’t really have any objection to religion, nor to the majority of christians who for the most part are decent human beings,(my best friend sits about as high in the BAC church as a woman can get). Religion can be a comfort to those who practice it. What I object to is the lies and twisted morality that some few twisted head cases spew in the name of their god. Just like in all religions christianity spawns a small group of fanatics, haters, liars, terrorist, murderers (including child murder) and even genocide that they justify by hiding behind there god. Topix has more than is share.
So horrible what people can do; God loving adults at that. I never read past the first two pages of the bible. What I've learnt on here of what the book says I'm glad I never read it. Certainly amazes me. The idea of re-reading until it's memorised, OSG (oh someones God)!
I was married to a Belfast man, a Prod. He had the fear of God beaten into him, his Father didn't hit him but the lovely religious people did! he doesn't believe these days. One day he was standing outside a shop when he heard a dull thud, then a persons head went rolling down the gutter. The thud was a bomb blast. Very sad seeing what such religious people can do to each other.

“Faith means not wanting to ”

know what is true.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Home schooled.
Or the craze in Australia 'unschooled'

“Faith means not wanting to ”

know what is true.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Because no one else will have him
True
bONGO

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because no one else will have him
all the Frenchman had you?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Or the craze in Australia 'unschooled'
Unfortunately true.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
So horrible what people can do; God loving adults at that. I never read past the first two pages of the bible. What I've learnt on here of what the book says I'm glad I never read it. Certainly amazes me. The idea of re-reading until it's memorised, OSG (oh someones God)!
I was married to a Belfast man, a Prod. He had the fear of God beaten into him, his Father didn't hit him but the lovely religious people did! he doesn't believe these days. One day he was standing outside a shop when he heard a dull thud, then a persons head went rolling down the gutter. The thud was a bomb blast. Very sad seeing what such religious people can do to each other.
I’ve read it 3 times, plus chapters, verses etc several times, I did some work on the authenticity of the babble during my first years at uni. All you need to realise is that it is a story book, full of holes, contradictions lies and atrocities that a good christian Jew or Moslim is skilled at filtering out.

Consider that the abrahamic god was the first recorded mass murderer by exterminating the entire human race (bar for 8 people), the first recorded child murderer by killing the Egyptian first born. He advocated slavery, rape and prostitution, gods word –

“as for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves”.

Such a role model, but it makes it easy to see why there are so many religious people suffering from funny mental ism.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

bONGO wrote:
<quoted text> all the Frenchman had you?
Can we assume you are christian?

Your lying BS seem to suggest it.
bONGO

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Can we assume you are christian?
Your lying BS seem to suggest it.
Can we assume you are large and promiscuous
Thinking

Tisbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

How would that even be possible?
bONGO wrote:
<quoted text> all the Frenchman had you?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I don't see how skepticism requires any faith.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Home schooled.
There are actually two types of home schoolers. One type home schools because they don't like what is being taught in the schools. The other type doesn't like the fact that the schools aren't teaching enough.

Religious home schoolers tend to do so because they don't want their children exposed to opposing ideas. They want to re-enforce their particular viewpoint and keep their children from really learning about the variety of ways of looking at the world.

In contrast, the non-religious home schoolers tend to do so because they don't like how watered down the curriculum has become over the years. In contrast to the religious type, the non-religious type wants the children to learn *more*, not less.

My ex-wife and I home schooled our daughter until she was ready for high school (when our daughter said she would prefer to go to the public school for the social aspects). By the time she was 12, my daughter was reading and understanding Plato and Shakespeare. She could write a well-reasoned research paper and asked for a book on reptile surgery for her 13th birthday. She has one more year of high school and hopes to become a veterinarian.

Not all home schoolers are poorly schooled. Most are, but not all. Much depends on the motivations and education of the parents.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post, Christine.

I agree with you in all respects.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are actually two types of home schoolers. One type home schools because they don't like what is being taught in the schools. The other type doesn't like the fact that the schools aren't teaching enough.
Religious home schoolers tend to do so because they don't want their children exposed to opposing ideas. They want to re-enforce their particular viewpoint and keep their children from really learning about the variety of ways of looking at the world.
In contrast, the non-religious home schoolers tend to do so because they don't like how watered down the curriculum has become over the years. In contrast to the religious type, the non-religious type wants the children to learn *more*, not less.
My ex-wife and I home schooled our daughter until she was ready for high school (when our daughter said she would prefer to go to the public school for the social aspects). By the time she was 12, my daughter was reading and understanding Plato and Shakespeare. She could write a well-reasoned research paper and asked for a book on reptile surgery for her 13th birthday. She has one more year of high school and hopes to become a veterinarian.
Not all home schoolers are poorly schooled. Most are, but not all. Much depends on the motivations and education of the parents.
Interesting and a post well worth reading.

I was beginning to get the impression that home-schooling had a far less positive image in the USA than in the UK. Nice to know it is done successfully there too.

Well-done to you and your bright family and thanks for sharing that.
(No reply necessary)
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I’ve read it 3 times, plus chapters, verses etc several times, I did some work on the authenticity of the babble during my first years at uni. All you need to realise is that it is a story book, full of holes, contradictions lies and atrocities that a good christian Jew or Moslim is skilled at filtering out.
Consider that the abrahamic god was the first recorded mass murderer by exterminating the entire human race (bar for 8 people), the first recorded child murderer by killing the Egyptian first born. He advocated slavery, rape and prostitution, gods word –
“as for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves”.
Such a role model, but it makes it easy to see why there are so many religious people suffering from funny mental ism.
Humanity was killed in Noahs' flood because they were wicked. Pharoah caused the judgment of the death of the firstborn to fall upon himself by plotting to kill the first born of Israel. If you want to play hardball, God can play hardball.
Anthony Blake

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep invoking Jesus' name in vain, while disregarding His teachings.
Matthew 7:15-20 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."
It's all about you, isn't it Clownie? Not about Jesus at all. False prophet. Blasphemer.
I like this guy that is disapproving all T towns comments

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Teaman 1,079,109
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) 2 hr RICK SERVICE 26
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr cpeter1313 305,077
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr PEE PEE PETE 26,649
urgent loan needed apply now (Sep '13) Jul 20 Danny 2
loan needed (Dec '13) Jul 20 Danny 4
Hairston's bounceback game highlights big day f... Jul 16 Go go d 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••