Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#169557 Jun 20, 2013
bONGO wrote:
<quoted text> Not when you get on the otherside.
Pascal's wager, you have a higher chance of angering a god than an atheist, ultimately, considering that of the thousands of proposed gods, most it is said don't care if they are worshiped, as long as a different one is not.

Since: Mar 11

Lawrenceville, GA

#169558 Jun 21, 2013
Nice :)

Good call!
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>.

It needed more " fluff" ;)

B - Believe me
U - Until I
Y - Yell from the roof tops
B - Begging all to Believe in Something that is
U - unscientific, Unknowable unimaginative and a
L - Laughable and ludicrous
L - lie, that only the uneducated can believe.

Lawrenceville, GA

#169559 Jun 21, 2013
Senile much?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Your self-deprecating style of humor must have taken a long period of development and commitment on your part. You are very good at it.

Lawrenceville, GA

#169560 Jun 21, 2013
Lmfao!

Dave the senile gift that keeps giving.

Wow just wow. Poor old guy has no idea how big of a jackass he makes out of himself.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>It is unfortunate dag nabbit we have to suffer the effects of such a simply constructed mind as yours ejaculating all over my daughter's face before they are mature all over these forums.

You whipper snappers can't see an all encompassing life force, deity, or whatever you want to call it from your physical young un perspective. You couldn't see it directly without cataracts, nor could you feel it directly of your pants are dry. nor could you hear it directly without my hearing aid. As a physical manifestation that would be like floating down a catheter. You don't feel the full force of the catheter. just the forces diverted trying to get you to have a bowel movement.

The Biblical myth reveals an all powerful force that created something. It used to communicate with it. Then this thingy felt separate, and it lost the ability to communicate directly. This powerful force became frustrated with trying to reach this dense object in its midst, an object that couldn't see it directly. It finally dawned on it that it would have to manifest a part of itself as one of these dense objects to tell it how to get back home. The light was still in the window.

However, some of these dense objects get real dense, and will never see the light. When they dissolve back into the river they don't do it as the coherent, or semi-coherent, assemblages of this life energy they were formed from. The current washes them away you could say.

Now, go switch on your Johnson, Butch, get to thinking, and come back to us again.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#169561 Jun 21, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do supposed "Godly" people continue to imply that people who don't believe, are liars? The amount of times I've now seen the word "lie". You should all know what LIE means. Do you lot really think that Darwin, all before him and after him, who have studied the nature of this world, have perpetuated a mass lie? If man can do that then nothing at all is real, true, honest.
How can a God that is all powerful, capable of creating all the universes, all of this here on earth, become unable to speak to us. What a load of rubbish. Really listen to yourself. To me and other's on here, no doubt your describing a fairy tale.
Norse, Greek etc. are myth? To me there the same thing as what your saying. I can understand why we needed Gods in the past I can't understand why anyone needs one now. Your an adult believing this stuff? I find it very strange.
I, don’t know, you got me stumped, why do “godly people continue to imply that people who don't believe, are liars?”

Is it because godbots would not know the meaning of truth if it poked them in the eye?

Is it because they are brought up from childhood being indoctrinated in a lie so they come to expect lies from everyone?

The problem is that despite the facts they see faith and belief as truth, and tend to be totally unaware of the difference between faith and truth, therefore anyone who has anything to say that contradicts their faith must be by their own definition, a liar.
There are dome “godly” people who are aware of the meaning of truth and emphasise/distinguish the word with a capital letter “Truth” which when being translated from christian speak means belief. Then there is the word “truthiness”, a newly proclaimed word in the christian language that means to them –‘it’s what I believe and it sounds true so it’s truth enough for me’,- so really we have another christian speak word for belief.

If they don’t know the meaning of the word truth then why should the word lie be any different to them?

#169562 Jun 21, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard you were so drunk at a party that then when you walked across the room to get another beer you won the dance contest.
Oh yes, and another way that godbots think they get away with lying is by prefixing with “I have heard”

Do you not realise that christianity teaches that satan is the father of lies? Why do you worship your god so openly?
Thinking

London, UK

#169563 Jun 21, 2013
It's "you're", religitard.
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, your weird.

Melbourne, Australia

#169564 Jun 21, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I, don’t know, you got me stumped, why do “godly people continue to imply that people who don't believe, are liars?”
Is it because godbots would not know the meaning of truth if it poked them in the eye?
Is it because they are brought up from childhood being indoctrinated in a lie so they come to expect lies from everyone?
The problem is that despite the facts they see faith and belief as truth, and tend to be totally unaware of the difference between faith and truth, therefore anyone who has anything to say that contradicts their faith must be by their own definition, a liar.
There are dome “godly” people who are aware of the meaning of truth and emphasise/distinguish the word with a capital letter “Truth” which when being translated from christian speak means belief. Then there is the word “truthiness”, a newly proclaimed word in the christian language that means to them –‘it’s what I believe and it sounds true so it’s truth enough for me’,- so really we have another christian speak word for belief.
If they don’t know the meaning of the word truth then why should the word lie be any different to them?
I have early memories of gong to church as a family when I was four. I loved the singing, the pink wafer biscuits and the orange cordial in Sunday school. I find I get the same feeling when I'm in any group singing. But it didn't last long my Dad was Atheist my Mother "hopes" there is something. I do act in a respectful way of people I have worked with that are religious, try not to blaspheme. Imagine signing up for Scientology, with all we know yet people still do. There is a few local kids that became Muslim. One kid who's Dad is a Muslim has spent most of the kids life in jail, became one. He didn't appear to believe in God before, and it didn't help him stop his drug dealing, taking, fornicating etc. what's the point? With all we know about the earth they are joining a religion that thinks we've only been here a few thousand years. It astounds me. So thankful my parents weren't religious, and my Father wanted us to look.

“Faith means not wanting to ”

know what is true.

#169565 Jun 21, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>evolution is a lie... there is no evidence only lies
Clownie why do you believe in god?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#169566 Jun 21, 2013
Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Home schooled.
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#169567 Jun 21, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard you were so drunk at a party that then when you walked across the room to get another beer you won the dance contest.
LOL. ;)

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Wilson runs a nail factory and decides his business needs a bit of advertising. He has a chat with a friend who works in marketing and he offers to make a TV ad for Wilson's Nails.

"Give me a week," says the friend, "and I'll be back with a tape."

A week goes by and the marketing executive comes to see Wilson. He puts a cassette in the video and presses play. A Roman soldier is busy nailing Jesus to the cross. He turns to face the camera and says with a grin "Use Wilson's Nails, they'll hold anything."

Wilson goes mad shouting: "What is the matter with you? They'll never show that on TV. Give it another try, but no more Romans crucifying Jesus!"

Another week goes by and the marketing man comes back to see Wilson with another tape. He puts it in the machine and hits play. This time the camera pans out from a Roman standing with his arms folded to show Jesus on the cross. The Roman looks up at him and says 'Wilson's Nails, they'll hold anything'.

Wilson is beside himself. "You don't understand: I don't want anything with Jesus on the cross! Now listen, I'll give you one last chance. Come back in a week with an advertisement that I can broadcast."

A week passes and Wilson waits impatiently. The marketing executive arrives and puts on the new video. A naked man with long hair, gasping for breath, is running across a field. About a dozen Roman soldiers come over the hill, hot on his trail. One of them turns to camera and says 'If only we had used Wilson's Nails!'.
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#169568 Jun 21, 2013
~~~~~\\\\|
~~~~(@@)
~oOo--O--oOoU.S. PROMISES SMOOTH TRANSFER OF QUAGMIRE FROM AFGHANISTAN TO SYRIA

DAMASCUS (The Borowitz Report)—Supporters of the United States’ twelve-year quagmire in Afghanistan cheered the news today that the U.S. would strive to achieve a seamless transfer of that quagmire to Syria, effective immediately.

Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, sought to reassure those who were concerned that the U.S. withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan signalled a wavering of the nation’s commitment to being mired in open-ended military muddles.

“I can tell you, right here and right now, that the U.S. is every bit as determined to engage in an ill-defined, ill-advised and seemingly interminable mission in Syria as we were in Afghanistan,” Gen. Dempsey said.“All that’s changing is the Zip Code.”

General Dempsey said that the same tribal hatreds, sectarian violence, and untrustworthy alliances that made Afghanistan a quicksand-like morass are very much in evidence in Syria:“I am confident that we could be involved in Syria for many, many years before figuring out why we are there.”

Harland Dorrinson, executive director of the National Quagmire Institute, a think tank dedicated to promoting the United States’ involvement in intractable conflicts around the globe, said he found General Dempsey’s words about Syria reassuring:“I felt a lot better after hearing what he had to say, and I know a lot of defense contractors felt the same way.”

#169569 Jun 21, 2013
saidI wrote:
<quoted text>
I have early memories of gong to church as a family when I was four. I loved the singing, the pink wafer biscuits and the orange cordial in Sunday school. I find I get the same feeling when I'm in any group singing. But it didn't last long my Dad was Atheist my Mother "hopes" there is something. I do act in a respectful way of people I have worked with that are religious, try not to blaspheme. Imagine signing up for Scientology, with all we know yet people still do. There is a few local kids that became Muslim. One kid who's Dad is a Muslim has spent most of the kids life in jail, became one. He didn't appear to believe in God before, and it didn't help him stop his drug dealing, taking, fornicating etc. what's the point? With all we know about the earth they are joining a religion that thinks we've only been here a few thousand years. It astounds me. So thankful my parents weren't religious, and my Father wanted us to look.
My early life was somewhat different, I went to church because my parents were (they are not now) CofE christian and expected me to be indoctrinated in the same way. However I am dyslexic, i.e. not perfect as god made us (according to the congregation) and so was treated as a second class child, mocked and ridiculed because I was unable to read from the babble. Such treatment is quite traumatic to a child and when I was diagnosed (age 14) the huge weight of christian oppression was lifted. The church lost me (and my parents) for their callus, bordering on brutal behaviour.

I have since been subject to and seen first hand what true christian love does to a person. My aunt lost an arm and I was (not seriously but quite painfully) injured in the IRA bombing of Manchester. Christians attempted to kill my children by tipping their pushchair in front of a moving bus (and escaped into a church where the priest denied all knowledge of them). I have several other stories both personal and general of such christian love.

Funnily enough my old vicar tracked me down recently (25 years after events) to apologise and asked me to rejoin his flock. Can you guess the reply he got?

The point of all this is that I don’t really have any objection to religion, nor to the majority of christians who for the most part are decent human beings,(my best friend sits about as high in the BAC church as a woman can get). Religion can be a comfort to those who practice it. What I object to is the lies and twisted morality that some few twisted head cases spew in the name of their god. Just like in all religions christianity spawns a small group of fanatics, haters, liars, terrorist, murderers (including child murder) and even genocide that they justify by hiding behind there god. Topix has more than is share.

#169570 Jun 21, 2013
Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Because no one else will have him

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#169571 Jun 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>It is unfortunate we have to suffer the effects of such a simply constructed mind as yours ejaculating thoughts before they are mature all over these forums.

You can't see an all encompassing life force, deity, or whatever you want to call it from your physical human perspective. You couldn't see it directly, nor could you feel it directly, nor could you hear it directly. As a physical manifestation that would be like floating down a river. You don't feel the full force of the river, just the forces diverted trying to get you to move.

The Biblical story reveals an all powerful force that created something. It used to communicate with it. Then this thingy felt separate, and it lost the ability to communicate directly. This powerful force became frustrated with trying to reach this dense object in its midst, an object that couldn't see it directly. It finally dawned on it that it would have to manifest a part of itself as one of these dense objects to tell it how to get back home. The light was still in the window.

However, some of these dense objects get real dense, and will never see the light. When they dissolve back into the river they don't do it as the coherent, or semi-coherent, assemblages of this life energy they were formed from. The current washes them away you could say.

Now, go switch on your Johnson, Butch, get to thinking, and come back to us again.
Take another laxative Dave.

The shit is backing up into your headpan.

Melbourne, Australia

#169572 Jun 21, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
My early life was somewhat different, I went to church because my parents were (they are not now) CofE christian and expected me to be indoctrinated in the same way. However I am dyslexic, i.e. not perfect as god made us (according to the congregation) and so was treated as a second class child, mocked and ridiculed because I was unable to read from the babble. Such treatment is quite traumatic to a child and when I was diagnosed (age 14) the huge weight of christian oppression was lifted. The church lost me (and my parents) for their callus, bordering on brutal behaviour.
I have since been subject to and seen first hand what true christian love does to a person. My aunt lost an arm and I was (not seriously but quite painfully) injured in the IRA bombing of Manchester. Christians attempted to kill my children by tipping their pushchair in front of a moving bus (and escaped into a church where the priest denied all knowledge of them). I have several other stories both personal and general of such christian love.
Funnily enough my old vicar tracked me down recently (25 years after events) to apologise and asked me to rejoin his flock. Can you guess the reply he got?
The point of all this is that I don’t really have any objection to religion, nor to the majority of christians who for the most part are decent human beings,(my best friend sits about as high in the BAC church as a woman can get). Religion can be a comfort to those who practice it. What I object to is the lies and twisted morality that some few twisted head cases spew in the name of their god. Just like in all religions christianity spawns a small group of fanatics, haters, liars, terrorist, murderers (including child murder) and even genocide that they justify by hiding behind there god. Topix has more than is share.
So horrible what people can do; God loving adults at that. I never read past the first two pages of the bible. What I've learnt on here of what the book says I'm glad I never read it. Certainly amazes me. The idea of re-reading until it's memorised, OSG (oh someones God)!
I was married to a Belfast man, a Prod. He had the fear of God beaten into him, his Father didn't hit him but the lovely religious people did! he doesn't believe these days. One day he was standing outside a shop when he heard a dull thud, then a persons head went rolling down the gutter. The thud was a bomb blast. Very sad seeing what such religious people can do to each other.

know what is true.

#169573 Jun 21, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Home schooled.
Or the craze in Australia 'unschooled'

know what is true.

#169574 Jun 21, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Because no one else will have him
True
bONGO

Coram, NY

#169575 Jun 21, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because no one else will have him
all the Frenchman had you?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#169576 Jun 21, 2013
Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Or the craze in Australia 'unschooled'
Unfortunately true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Smart Alex 1,154,582
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 min Brew In 28,417
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Pearl Jam 307,010
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Joe fortuna 201,181
Crossfire going to Nicaragua (Jan '08) 8 hr arnoldodeigo 5
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 12 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 2,699
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Sat Roy the Boy 691
More from around the web