Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#166466 Jun 1, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
The following arguments were put forth in Southern books, pamphlets and newspapers to defend the institution of slavery:
Slavery was good for the slaves; the slaveowners took on the burden of caring for the interests of inferior beings, seeing that they would be fed, clothed and given religious instruction.
In a comparative sense, Southern slaves were better off than many of the immigrant workers in Northern factories who were confined in unhealthy workplaces for long hours.
Slavery was the key to national prosperity—for both the North and the South; nearly 60 percent of U.S. exports of this era were cotton; the slavery advocates argued that if their economy were tampered with, the great industrial cities of the North would crumble; many Southerners viewed the North as a parasite, nourishing itself on slavery while at the same time criticizing it.
Slavery was vital for the continuance of a superior Southern lifestyle which emphasized good manners and graciousness; they did not want to become like the fast-paced, money-grubbing North.
At the constitutional convention held in Virginia in 1829, a debate took place whether to abolish slavery in the state. The discussion became more intense after the rebellion of Nat Turner in 1831...
With regard to the assertion that slavery is against the spirit of Christianity, we are ready to admit the general assertion, but deny most positively that there is anything in the Old or New Testament which would go to show that slavery, when once introduced, ought at all events to be abrogated, or that the master commits any offense in holding slaves. The children of Israel themselves were slaveholders and were not condemned for it. All the patriarchs themselves were slaveholders; Abraham had more than three hundred, Isaac had a "great store" of them; and even the patient and meek Job himself had "a very great household." When the children of Israel conquered the land of Canaan, they made one whole tribe "hewers of wood and drawers of water," and they were at that very time under the special guidance of Jehovah; they were permitted expressly to purchase slaves of the heathen and keep them as an inheritance for their posterity; and even the children of Israel might be enslaved for six years.
Subsequently, in 1837, William Harper, author of the South Carolina Nullification Ordinance of 1832, wrote that slavery was not just a necessary evil which the Bible did not forbid, but a positive good for slave, master, and civilization:
President Dew has shown that the institution of slavery is a principal cause of civilization. Perhaps nothing can be more evident than that it is the sole cause. If anything can be predicated as universally true of uncultivated man, it is that he will not labor beyond what is absolutely necessary to maintain his existence. Labor is pain to those who are unaccustomed to it, and the nature of man is averse to pain. Even with all the training, the helps, and motives of civilization, we find that this aversion cannot be overcome in many individuals of the most cultivated societies. The coercion of slavery alone is adequate to form man to habits of labor. Without it, there can be no accumulation of property, no providence for the future, no tastes for comfort or elegancies, which are the characteristics and essentials of civilization.
Writing in 1854, George Fitzhugh, a Southern sociologist and lawyer, put forward the most aggressive defense of slavery possible, that it was not merely justifiable in the South but economically superior to the free society of the North and would eventually dominate through the country. His biting analysis of the manufacturing system of the North was similar to that of Karl Marx, writing about the conditions in England at about the same time. The two of them drew entirely different
Wow.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#166467 Jun 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard it described by soldiers in Iwo Jima. They killed people and stacked them up like cords of wood. This is slightly different but nearly the same mindset. They said that if they considered those people they killed humans ...that they would have gone insane from the horrible of it.
It's the same with holding slaves..If you consider them humans you can't do it.
Exactly.

That's why in the antebellum South, slaves were considered chattel.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#166468 Jun 1, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. It's hilarious when christians say that the world would be in much better shape if only everyone followed the bible. Really? If everyone followed the bible, we would be a bunch of barbarous, superstitious, backwards idiots. We would be stoning women for having sex and beating children to death for disobeying their parents.
You are ignoring the New in your evaluation. If you are going to fixate on the Old then you need to direct your criticisms to those who practice Judaism.

Location hidden

#166469 Jun 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I think your tinfoil hat is a bit too tight. You should learn some empathy yourself, freak.
<quoted text>
Other than name calling and personal attacks do you have an argument?

Location hidden

#166470 Jun 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You support owning another human being outright, yeah, his morals are way above yours.
No i do not support ownership of other human beings. Like i said before Kitty. You have comprehension problems and i have no control over that.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#166471 Jun 1, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You are ignoring the New in your evaluation. If you are going to fixate on the Old then you need to direct your criticisms to those who practice Judaism.
No, I'm not. There's plenty of nonsense in the NT. Also, jesus seemed to be pretty ok with the "law" anyway.

5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

And now for the nonsense:

15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

Need more?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#166472 Jun 1, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> No i do not support ownership of other human beings. Like i said before Kitty. You have comprehension problems and i have no control over that.
I'm glad you're taking the time to study up on empathy.

While you're at it, and inasmuch as Timn mentioned it, check out the categorical imperative.

We can wait.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#166473 Jun 1, 2013
It just shows how preposterous the notion of this bible god is. Why would he need to bow to the norms of society at that time? If he was this supreme being why not command no slavery is to exist? Why is his hands tied like that?

If he had instead commanded his people to cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze, consume lots of vitamin c and frequent hand washing that alone would have made them more numerous and mightier than anyone around them.

But no... Stop using blended fibers and eating shrimp.
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. It's hilarious when christians say that the world would be in much better shape if only everyone followed the bible. Really? If everyone followed the bible, we would be a bunch of barbarous, superstitious, backwards idiots. We would be stoning women for having sex and beating children to death for disobeying their parents.

Location hidden

#166474 Jun 1, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>No, I'm not. There's plenty of nonsense in the NT. Also, jesus seemed to be pretty ok with the "law" anyway.
5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
And now for the nonsense:
15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.
Need more?
Slavery depicted was the result of disobedience to God. Also poverty illness and death. Disobedience reaps consequences. We get the world we desire. The audience of Jesus was different from the audience of Paul. Jesus was 1st century Palestine and Paul was the pagan nations apart from Palestine where there was Roman and Greek slavery. Slavery in Palestine was probably debt or voluntary types. Actually all of Palestine was probably slaves to Rome since they were occupied country. I know you have contempt for the Bible but that should not hamper your understanding provided you can look at it dispassionately. Given the atheism depicted here the appeal to empathy is underwhelming given human history as it relates to slavery. In the ancient world the conquered were inferior because they were conquered and that was their lot in life. Slavery was actually a form of compassion since the ruling class could do anything they wanted to the conquered and a lot of times they did. When rights derive from men apart from God then that is the world you get.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#166475 Jun 1, 2013
You don't like facts I see. Perhaps you need to read your posts out loud before posting them?

Seriously often you sound like a raving lunatic. Just trying to help.

You're welcome.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>Other than name calling and personal attacks do you have an argument?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#166476 Jun 1, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
The wheels spinning but the hamster died.
You're bloated ego shows.
Whip up a miracle, and some intelligence, Jesus has his eyes on you, and he told me you were a rather pathetic embarrassment for his flock.
He's embarrassed you're one of his followers
and requests that you switch to Islam.
why low life atheist lie???

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166477 Jun 1, 2013
timn17 wrote:
it's not Coach Clownie's fault that you can't walk and chew gum at the same time. The Coach is not angry, or a hater like you "wish I could be a real man like Bro. Clownie Now, that is sad! Fact!!! Fortunately, for Clownie and "the rest of the real good guys" ... jealous losers, and haters like yourself are in the minority. It's up to one of the good guys, like yours truly, to put you in your rightful place ... the random minority of jealous, haters, atheists, and losers of society. Now, with this being said, you have Bro. Clownie's permission to continue your meaningless, jealous, hate filled journey through life, in your home town of Hate Ville. Have a nice trip ... ya hear!?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#166478 Jun 1, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Other than name calling and personal attacks do you have an argument?
This is how losers behave then they have no proof of god and are caught lying about it.

Location hidden

#166479 Jun 1, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>it's not Coach Clownie's fault that you can't walk and chew gum at the same time. The Coach is not angry, or a hater like you "wish I could be a real man like Bro. Clownie Now, that is sad! Fact!!! Fortunately, for Clownie and "the rest of the real good guys" ... jealous losers, and haters like yourself are in the minority. It's up to one of the good guys, like yours truly, to put you in your rightful place ... the random minority of jealous, haters, atheists, and losers of society. Now, with this being said, you have Bro. Clownie's permission to continue your meaningless, jealous, hate filled journey through life, in your home town of Hate Ville. Have a nice trip ... ya hear!?
Prove your god or f*ck off - its been that simple since the dawn of time.

Location hidden

#166480 Jun 1, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Slavery depicted was the result of disobedience to God. Also poverty illness and death. Disobedience reaps consequences. We get the world we desire. The audience of Jesus was different from the audience of Paul. Jesus was 1st century Palestine and Paul was the pagan nations apart from Palestine where there was Roman and Greek slavery. Slavery in Palestine was probably debt or voluntary types. Actually all of Palestine was probably slaves to Rome since they were occupied country. I know you have contempt for the Bible but that should not hamper your understanding provided you can look at it dispassionately. Given the atheism depicted here the appeal to empathy is underwhelming given human history as it relates to slavery. In the ancient world the conquered were inferior because they were conquered and that was their lot in life. Slavery was actually a form of compassion since the ruling class could do anything they wanted to the conquered and a lot of times they did. When rights derive from men apart from God then that is the world you get.
There's no such thing as god, and until you liars admit this fact, your morals will always be lowers than those of sane people.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166481 Jun 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The personal hallucinations of theists have absolutely no validity with athiests, scientists and the proven real world in which we all live.
You really have a problem distinguishing the truth from perception, half-truths, and innuendoes it seems to me. If you think Christianity will fall in our lifetime, you're fooling yourself. Now, tell me what has science revealed that proves God doesn't exist?
I want facts, and not those "somewhere over the rainbow" theories that your savior scientists have been feeding everyone on the science channel. It's amazing how those "pie in the sky geniuses" have to choke on their own fantasies after being proven wrong, time and time again. Those bozos are constantly looking for the perfect formula. It's right above them, if only they would take their blinders off and look up! I have to say to you, it's sad reading your rants about God and Christianity. You should really grow up and toss aside your hatred. Your hatred won't change a thing, but, it will keep you an angry person for the rest of your life. If that's what you want your life to be, hate on!

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166482 Jun 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove your god or f*ck off - its been that simple since the dawn of time.
If you had some semblance of intelligence you might be able to hold a decent conversation with someone. But, not to worry, you don't, so, just crawl back under your rock and continue your hibernation...

Location hidden

#166483 Jun 1, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>You really have a problem distinguishing the truth from perception, half-truths, and innuendoes it seems to me. If you think Christianity will fall in our lifetime, you're fooling yourself. Now, tell me what has science revealed that proves God doesn't exist?
I want facts, and not those "somewhere over the rainbow" theories that your savior scientists have been feeding everyone on the science channel. It's amazing how those "pie in the sky geniuses" have to choke on their own fantasies after being proven wrong, time and time again. Those bozos are constantly looking for the perfect formula. It's right above them, if only they would take their blinders off and look up! I have to say to you, it's sad reading your rants about God and Christianity. You should really grow up and toss aside your hatred. Your hatred won't change a thing, but, it will keep you an angry person for the rest of your life. If that's what you want your life to be, hate on!
Theists are bad sales people - they try to find a sucker who will buy a faulty product, while providing no evidence, proof or guarantee about what they are saying.

Theists accept no responsiblity for the damage, their lies cause to others. As long as they make a sale that is all that matters to them.

I'm glad atheists have higher morals and don't suffer from "religious liars disease" like most theists do.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166484 Jun 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
This is how losers behave then they have no proof of god and are caught lying about it.
Are you going to ever stop confirming that you're a brainless loser? Come on!!! You've already proved that! Do yourself a favor and pull your brainless head out of your fat @ss. Hurry up before your mommy comes home and boxes your pointy ears for playing on her computer.
And I'm still waiting on proof that God doesn't exist,

Location hidden

#166485 Jun 1, 2013
When theists fail to make a sale, they will bombard you with propoganda and ads for their chosen brand of cult.

We see it every day in the athiest forum with deluded mentally ill people quoting the bible in a vain effort to convert atheists.

Theists are bad sales people and theism only encourages liars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Aquarius-WY 1,640,338
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr June VanDerMark 319,834
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr Trojan 34,794
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 10 hr Wisdom of Ages 11,798
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 9 Randy-From-Wooster 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web