Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#166242 May 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So if I really go at it and sin a whole lot, does that mean more holes in Jesus? If so, I'm on my way to sinning none stop!!! I really love sinning, so much fun!!!
Yes, Bro. Clownie (Your Guiding Light) is more than happy to be on Topix to show you lying heathens the bright light of honor, integrity, justice, truth, and the American way. Now, Bro. Clownie looking out for your best interests, doesn't want you to over extend your weak minded self, BigDummy... uh, blacklagoon. You should limit your weak minded self to just a couple of the tasks you are extremely good at...
(1) Making yourself look as stupid as possible on Topix
(2) Booing christians
(3) Hating Jesus Christ who you say don't exist.. LOL
(4) Scaring little girls at the park..
(5) Scaring yourself every time you look in the mirror
... Now, be a good little atheist/whiner and pick your two favorites from the list above to do. Bro. Clownie doesn't think two of those categories should over-tax your weak minded pea brain. Now, have a nice day in front of the mirror, and, at the park ... ya hear!?

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166245 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then where is this evidence?
You're blind as a bat KK... We have the bible! Jesus Christ! billions of christians! creation!

LAST BUT NOT LEAST !!!!!!!!

Bro. Clownie
TRUST ME
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#166246 May 28, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
my answers will be kinda breif, im exausted from the gym, so i apologize. well, i wont go into the philosophy of what constitutes a fact, but i will say that there are evidences that require serious thought and not quick dismissal. you havent stated what exactly would constitute a fact, given the thoughts youve presented. for example, you stated that a fact is something that is indisputably the case, and it is also a definition ive found in my websters. so when we analyse the statements youre making, you assume that when something isnt sufficiently established, then the opposite is fact. but what you are forgeting is that it is nigh impossible to establish a universal negative, especially with the method youre using. instead of using the word fact, i think that maybe you should switch more towards evidence, as i think this will be more fruitful to the discussion. further, i look at the statement you made and i see it as flawed because we are speaking in terms of factual things. so when i present to you any evidence, the evidence has a grounds in reality, by using all kinds of facts. like morals. it is a fact that such a thing as morals exist. its not that there arent facts in my arguments, its that you dont agree with the point im making by using certain facts, or dont hold some ideas to be factual. we should not cut off our own arguments roots in presenting our arguments, its not fruitful.
now, personal experience is usually taken into consideration given the background information. so you are right in your analagy. i have no problem in saying that believing someones personal experience may be difficult given certain ideas and personal views. for example, if i went to the beach and saw a shark stuck in a small cove with no visable way for it to get in or out, it is highly unlikely that people will believe me. but take the idea that theres a shark there and multiply it by 5 people, and the idea becomes more plausible. now thats how you would handle a material personal experience. now an immaterial personal experience that has to do with a mental experience or a feeling, thats something that also has to be taken into consideration given the background info plus the likelihood of that event, minus your own personal presuppositions. now, as for your example of those who see demons around every corner, again, we have defeaters of those experiences, combined with an objective standard for judging these things. thats why the average person of faith may have "religious experiences" while another person may experience a horrible mental delusion. we have a standard for judging that.
Enjoy the dialog. Will be gone till next week,but look forward to continuing our discussion.

Since: May 13

Hightstown, NJ

#166247 May 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Enjoy the dialog. Will be gone till next week,but look forward to continuing our discussion.
sounds good my friend. take it easy, enjoy your week.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#166248 May 29, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
my answers will be kinda breif, im exausted from the gym, so i apologize. well, i wont go into the philosophy of what constitutes a fact, but i will say that there are evidences that require serious thought and not quick dismissal. you havent stated what exactly would constitute a fact, given the thoughts youve presented. for example, you stated that a fact is something that is indisputably the case, and it is also a definition ive found in my websters. so when we analyse the statements youre making, you assume that when something isnt sufficiently established, then the opposite is fact. but what you are forgeting is that it is nigh impossible to establish a universal negative, especially with the method youre using. instead of using the word fact, i think that maybe you should switch more towards evidence, as i think this will be more fruitful to the discussion. further, i look at the statement you made and i see it as flawed because we are speaking in terms of factual things. so when i present to you any evidence, the evidence has a grounds in reality, by using all kinds of facts. like morals. it is a fact that such a thing as morals exist. its not that there arent facts in my arguments, its that you dont agree with the point im making by using certain facts, or dont hold some ideas to be factual. we should not cut off our own arguments roots in presenting our arguments, its not fruitful.
now, personal experience is usually taken into consideration given the background information. so you are right in your analagy. i have no problem in saying that believing someones personal experience may be difficult given certain ideas and personal views. for example, if i went to the beach and saw a shark stuck in a small cove with no visable way for it to get in or out, it is highly unlikely that people will believe me. but take the idea that theres a shark there and multiply it by 5 people, and the idea becomes more plausible. now thats how you would handle a material personal experience. now an immaterial personal experience that has to do with a mental experience or a feeling, thats something that also has to be taken into consideration given the background info plus the likelihood of that event, minus your own personal presuppositions. now, as for your example of those who see demons around every corner, again, we have defeaters of those experiences, combined with an objective standard for judging these things. thats why the average person of faith may have "religious experiences" while another person may experience a horrible mental delusion. we have a standard for judging that.
There's a no such thing as god. If you think "god is possible" you need to prove it.

Its that simple. When theists stop projecting their hallucinations upon atheists, we will finally live in peace.

Since: Mar 11

Pascoe Vale, Australia

#166249 May 29, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>Because your gay sex is not part of his design. If your car did not run, would you let it sit there or take it to the shop to be fixed so it could run like it was designed to run.
Jesus made it clear and it was a powerful message. When the fig tree failed to produce and function as it was designed to, Jesus cursed it. When Noah built the Ark, who brought in two of a kind, male and female, because that is proper functionality.
So why did God make Asexual's? Stuffed up did he?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#166250 May 29, 2013
People in non Christian counties were miles away more moral than Christians at the time. Secular morality is always superior to a religious one. Yes your bible approves of slavery and your answer did not refute that. Even Paul demanded a slave to return to his Christian master. Yes early Christians for centuries owned slaves.
Ray puelerico wrote:
ok, in this one youve raised 3 seperate issues. so ill adress them by point.

1:where did we draw our morals from before christ?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#166251 May 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>You're blind as a bat KK... We have the bible! Jesus Christ! billions of christians! creation!
LAST BUT NOT LEAST !!!!!!!!
Bro. Clownie
TRUST ME
If you weren't so funny, I'd never read your posts.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166252 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If you weren't so funny, I'd never read your posts.
Thanks KK I appreciate that... you're a real pal!

Bro. Clownie

Hightstown, NJ

#166253 May 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a no such thing as god. If you think "god is possible" you need to prove it.
Its that simple. When theists stop projecting their hallucinations upon atheists, we will finally live in peace.
lol sceps, ur the man. we will taalk soon once we become civil enough to to have the discssion. enjoy yor day bro.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#166257 May 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I tell you when it will be scary! being on your death bed crying Jesus, I didn't mean it I-I-I was just doing what that ol devil told me to do... Im so sorry... I-I-I want to be on your side Jesus not that mean ol devil... I love you
Oooooo...

REAL scary.
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#166258 May 29, 2013
Isn't it funny(but really, it's not) how atheists claim that God doesn't exist, that He's not REAL, but yet they date, marry, and procreate with human beings of the opposite sex....and yet they try to convince themselves, and others,that God isn't REAL....Uh....yeah....right. We know the REAL DEAL: You people are running from the Lord Jesus Christ because you don't want to REPENT and live the way He commands that human beings live.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#166259 May 29, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Isn't it funny(but really, it's not) how atheists claim that God doesn't exist, that He's not REAL, but yet they date, marry, and procreate with human beings of the opposite sex....and yet they try to convince themselves, and others,that God isn't REAL....Uh....yeah....right. We know the REAL DEAL: You people are running from the Lord Jesus Christ because you don't want to REPENT and live the way He commands that human beings live.
Wait, so now you are saying that gold coins prove leprechauns are real.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#166260 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, so now you are saying that gold coins prove leprechauns are real.
< Scratches head........
"They date, marry, and procreate with human beings of the opposite sex."

Sex creates gods!

This means I'm a verifiable goddess maker!

Location hidden

#166261 May 29, 2013
@ skeptic, It's not about "proving it" it's about experiencing it. I can't stand when atheists keep saying prove it because the closer you get to Him it becomes proof enough. Of course someone who has never experienced the love of God is not going to understand. There is in no way proof of evolution either, it's all about searching in the end. I know I'd rather search for something else and find it than settle for a science based theory, if I settle for evolution and never search for God then I guess I miss out, my death won't be so pleasant, but in searching for something bigger and then actually finding it I'm covered. It's sad how most evolutionists stick with it cause that's what's mainly drilled into us in school. It's kinda gullible, silly if you ask me cause I don't rely on what teachers etc tell me, I'd rather find out for myself. They talk about "soul searching" some people just really need to do a bit of searching for themselves.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#166262 May 29, 2013
RachS wrote:
@ skeptic, It's not about "proving it" it's about experiencing it. I can't stand when atheists keep saying prove it because the closer you get to Him it becomes proof enough. Of course someone who has never experienced the love of God is not going to understand. There is in no way proof of evolution either, it's all about searching in the end. I know I'd rather search for something else and find it than settle for a science based theory, if I settle for evolution and never search for God then I guess I miss out, my death won't be so pleasant, but in searching for something bigger and then actually finding it I'm covered. It's sad how most evolutionists stick with it cause that's what's mainly drilled into us in school. It's kinda gullible, silly if you ask me cause I don't rely on what teachers etc tell me, I'd rather find out for myself. They talk about "soul searching" some people just really need to do a bit of searching for themselves.
Yes, when you take a placebo it's about making yourself feel it's effects. We already know this.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166263 May 29, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Oooooo...
REAL scary.
you scare easy
xianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#166264 May 29, 2013
RachS wrote:
actualy,theres plenty of proof of evolution,you just avoid it as it would destroy your bible fantasy..

and your fear of death wont change the fact that god or soul doesnt exist,you just havent searched enough

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166265 May 29, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
actualy,theres plenty of proof of evolution,you just avoid it as it would destroy your bible fantasy..
and your fear of death wont change the fact that god or soul doesnt exist,you just havent searched enough
there is no proof of evolution... none

Hightstown, NJ

#166266 May 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
People in non Christian counties were miles away more moral than Christians at the time. Secular morality is always superior to a religious one. Yes your bible approves of slavery and your answer did not refute that. Even Paul demanded a slave to return to his Christian master. Yes early Christians for centuries owned slaves.
<quoted text>
well, now were on the topic of slavery. for the sake of clarity, no the bible allows for servanthood, but the term slavery didnt have its negetive stigma that it does now, and so the term slave was used. but the point your missing is that they are not the same as slavery was in the west. now im willing to defend my claim very clearly that they arent the same. are you willing to defent=d the idea that they are, seeing as that you are making the positive claim to knowledge here? also, do you have the moral framework by which to judge these people? you havent even taken into consideration why slavery was even culturally allowed given the biblical world view and the timeperiod. now, besides making your argument for how hebrew slavery was the same as western slavery, what exactly was insufficient about my explaination? i kept it as short as a could because i dont want to sit here all night and type. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 13 min take a number 200,967
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min Realtime 1,110,353
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 49 min Pearl Jam 305,635
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Bruin For Life 27,399
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
ACC Tournament 2014: Biggest Storylines to Watc... (Mar '14) Sep 11 Anonymous 2
•••
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••