Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#166209 May 28, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is Hitchens ? Is he a mythic figure known only from literature like Plato and Jesus ?
<smile>
"I am an unbiased thorn."
For a probable fictional character though, Plato was still a bit more fascinating than Jesus. ;)

Since: May 13

Hightstown, NJ

#166210 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a huge Harris fan, personally, I think he's a bit too fanatical at times. Hitchens thought out what he would say, and often stuck to the facts, while Harris seems more emotionally attached to his assertions. But, we all have our own preferences.
honestly i though hitchens was very real with what he said on a basic level. harris doesnt know how to follow logic very well and often words himself ito a corner philosophically. and even me as a christian found myself respecting the hitchman for his brutal honesty lol.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#166211 May 28, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
honestly i though hitchens was very real with what he said on a basic level. harris doesnt know how to follow logic very well and often words himself ito a corner philosophically. and even me as a christian found myself respecting the hitchman for his brutal honesty lol.
Hitchens was brilliant, it's sad what he went through at the end of his life too, yet he kept on with courage and a strength few people demonstrate. You bring up the point that makes me miss his speeches most, I hold honesty above all other qualities in a human, and he was brutally honest.

Hightstown, NJ

#166212 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitchens was brilliant, it's sad what he went through at the end of his life too, yet he kept on with courage and a strength few people demonstrate. You bring up the point that makes me miss his speeches most, I hold honesty above all other qualities in a human, and he was brutally honest.
definately. i couldnt help but respect the man even if i disagreed with him. he was honest, a great writer, very intellegent, and lets not forget his accent was awesome lol. he was a debater in his own class, something harris, loftus, or any other debater ive heard could never compare. he definately is missed. it sucks that he went the way he did. his voice was a strong one. one that again,i had much respect for.
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#166213 May 28, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
IK wist dat hij kwam in 'Goud,' IK wist niet dat dat kwam zo veel mooie kleuren ... Het lijkt bijna gespoten! Lol Heb je een leuk weekend?
:)
Dat was een typo! ;(

Moeten hebben een leuk weekend gehad.

Ik ben werkzaam in de bergen deze week.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#166214 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I gotta see the ethics and the politics first, before I admire someone, however brilliant.I also want to see the style of the honesty, and make sure the brutality of it was not nasty to people who did not ask for it.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#166215 May 28, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Believe and recieve!!! doubt and do without!!
Scary.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#166216 May 28, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
again the idea that God exists can be defended through various arguments, leaving his existance in dispute. therefor the facts arent so clear cut. so the absence of evidence can not equal evidence of absence. second, personal experience is still a viable peice of evidence unless you can come up with comprehencive defeaters of those experiences. people dont have reason to doubt personal experience of every day matters until the are presented with defeaters of those experiences. and as far as morals go,we can discuss that further if youd like. i firmly believe that morals are a pretty strong indicator of the existnce of God.
All of those various arguments involving the existence of God, are arguments without facts, so become totally worthless. The LACK of facts concerning the existence of God is very clear cut, there are none.

Of course it depends on what kind of personal experience a person has. if someone told me they were at the beach and saw a whale breaching off shore i would lean toward believing them as this is something that has certainly happened in the past on a number of occasions, and all of the elements of the story grounded in reality. Now if you told me God came down last night and spoke to you and then physically touched you on the head, I would be compelled to not believe you as none of the elements are grounded in reality. I would simply chalk it up to you having a serious delusion. The mental institutions are full of people who will swear that there are demons around every corner, would you accept these personal experiences as factual?

Mankind has been on the planet for approximately 200,000 give or take. Jesus carrying the word of God appeared a mere 2,000 years ago. Where did mankind draw his morals for some 198,000 years? Cannibalism is view by our present society as highly immoral, but not that long ago in New Guinea, it was considered appropriate and a means of drawing strength from your enemies. There are very few moral absolutes.

If one were to combine the idea that morals are an indicator for the existence of God and the writings found in the bible which are said to be the word of God, then contradictions emerge. Without going into all of the immorality found in the bible, we only have to look at the FACT that God condones slavery. Most would agree that regardless of the society, one person owning another and imposing their will on them is immoral.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#166217 May 28, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I gotta see the ethics and the politics first, before I admire someone, however brilliant.I also want to see the style of the honesty, and make sure the brutality of it was not nasty to people who did not ask for it.
I have a problem with lying to anyone for any reason. I cannot do it, and thus hold anyone who is always honest in high regards because of that. I had made a career out of lying, and it weighs heavy on me now, I even lied when I was young to avoid being harmed, but now I realize that those lies also harmed me more than I would have been had I told the truth. Ethical behavior is important, but many people can lie and seem ethical because of the lie, when a person is brutally honest, you know their ethics are what they claim them to be. Politics is a mess anyway, so I disregard that completely.

Hightstown, NJ

#166218 May 28, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I gotta see the ethics and the politics first, before I admire someone, however brilliant.I also want to see the style of the honesty, and make sure the brutality of it was not nasty to people who did not ask for it.
as a debater, hitchens was a devestating attacker. but in his liffe, he was described as a great guy. he was honest enough to make one squirm lol. i respect him for his way, although i wouldnt go as fare as to admire all his ways. that being said, ill still miss his debates.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#166220 May 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Scary.
I tell you when it will be scary! being on your death bed crying Jesus, I didn't mean it I-I-I was just doing what that ol devil told me to do... Im so sorry... I-I-I want to be on your side Jesus not that mean ol devil... I love you

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166221 May 28, 2013
kadtrack wrote:
youtube.com/watch?v=LSjTpy09KQ g No Luck
No Faith needed Religon is crap
you know this how?

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166222 May 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Code for "I don't have an answer. That I'm prepared to give, anyway."
mac thats a dumb question you asked... FACT

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166223 May 28, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
We have evidence that Hitchens existed though, the two are not comparable.
We have evidence of Jesus Christ you just don't believe it.. The unsaved often want a "sign" from God. This is in spite of the testimony of creation, their conscience, the Bible, and the Christian. The cross is the only thing that can truly convince a sinner of the reality of who Jesus is. Once they understand that the holes in His hands and His feet are there because of their own sin, they will fall at His feet and cry, "My Lord and my God....

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#166224 May 28, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>We have evidence of Jesus Christ you just don't believe it.. The unsaved often want a "sign" from God. This is in spite of the testimony of creation, their conscience, the Bible, and the Christian. The cross is the only thing that can truly convince a sinner of the reality of who Jesus is. Once they understand that the holes in His hands and His feet are there because of their own sin, they will fall at His feet and cry, "My Lord and my God....
So then where is this evidence?
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#166225 May 28, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>We have evidence of Jesus Christ you just don't believe it.. The unsaved often want a "sign" from God. This is in spite of the testimony of creation, their conscience, the Bible, and the Christian. The cross is the only thing that can truly convince a sinner of the reality of who Jesus is. Once they understand that the holes in His hands and His feet are there because of their own sin, they will fall at His feet and cry, "My Lord and my God....
There are NO contemporary accounts of Jesus outside of the bible. Everything written about Jesus was written decades after his supposed death. There were many preacher roaming the country side during the time he was supposed to have lived and more than a few had the same name, Jesus. There is No physical evidence, nothing written about him during the time of his life, and as I said, NO CONTEMPORARY ACCOUNT FOR JESUS OUTSIDE OF THE BIBLE. Anecdotal testimony, stories decades after his supposed life, none of these counts as evidence. Produce some evidence or say not much difference between Jesus and werewolves.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#166226 May 28, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Please read my two comments above. I do not agree with you that it is a fact that no God exists. I do not think we have agreed on an adequate definition of God so that we agree on what we are even discussing.
I also do not think that the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence.
I think it is rational not to believe in God, but arrogant to claim one knows there is no God (especially when there is no adequate definition of a God, and not enough understanding of what would constitute knowledge, as differing from even sensible opinion).
I am an agnostic (not making a knowledge claim) atheist (not a believer in any God I have ever heard of). I doubt that anyone knows or can know whether there is something that can reasonably be called God. But in general I prefer the opinion that there is not, given the usual very unacceptable (to me) descriptions of God and gods and their behavior, and also the usual totally unconvincing arguments for the existence of such Gods.
Again, I do believe one sort of God is totally impossible, and in a visceral sense of knowing, I feel that I know it does not exist:
that is the socalled allgoodallpowerful God. The existence of pain rules that one out, in my view.
also for fun, I advance a superpantheist definition of a God that does exist - that God is a name for everything that exists. It has the big advantage of being a bigger entity and bigger claimant for the title of a God that most others, and dwarfs them by comparison - even a socalled Creator God, who does not seem to include its own creation, and thus would be inferior to the All that Exists.
This definition should allow folks to minimize the claims of such inferior Gods as the God of the three big monotheistic religions.
My other acceptable God would be a very nice border collie, but that is my bias.
By saying we have no agreed on a definition of God, you already have a preconceived notion that he exists. if you were truly open minded you would NOT feel it necessary to assign God to anything, as you have by saying God may be everything. Why even entertain the existence of God, what is there to be gained? People believe in God for no good reason. Fear of death, comfort in times of adversity, because you have been brought up to believe, because you feel small and insignificant and have to believe there is something greater, because you are unable to cope with gaps in science and feel the need to fill these gaps with God as an answer. NONE of these are good reason to believe.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#166227 May 28, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
again the idea that God exists can be defended through various arguments, leaving his existance in dispute. therefor the facts arent so clear cut. so the absence of evidence can not equal evidence of absence. second, personal experience is still a viable peice of evidence unless you can come up with comprehencive defeaters of those experiences. people dont have reason to doubt personal experience of every day matters until the are presented with defeaters of those experiences. and as far as morals go,we can discuss that further if youd like. i firmly believe that morals are a pretty strong indicator of the existnce of God.
I'm always intrigued by the question....What is there to be gained by a belief in God? What REAL advantage is there in believing in God? If we reject the argument that we derive our morals from a belief in God, the what advantage is left?
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#166228 May 28, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
So if I really go at it and sin a whole lot, does that mean more holes in Jesus? If so, I'm on my way to sinning none stop!!! I really love sinning, so much fun!!!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#166229 May 28, 2013
:) high five!
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>We have evidence that Hitchens existed though, the two are not comparable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Teaman 1,153,021
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Bruin For Life 28,358
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Country Girl 306,951
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 3 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 2,655
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr JAX 201,148
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Tue Roy the Boy 685
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Tue The Real Daniel S... 281