Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255937 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#166298 May 30, 2013
You made the assertion so the onus is on you. Back up your assertion or fail for my amusement.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you disprove God!!! you can't so admit it

Scottsburg, IN

#166299 May 30, 2013
So can we safely say now that you cannot back up your assertion and have failed for our amusement?
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Aww, shucks, Mr. Liberty ... not you too! What happened to turn you against God, or, is it just religion that you hate? Did God forget to gift you a brain too? Were you born with your head in the toilet like those two other losers who think they can run yours truly off with their nutty language? Come on!!! Were you born with no arms, no legs ... what??? Oh, you're mad because of all the crap that goes on in the mean old world that bad people get away with, right? You're mad at sinful priests, preachers, and hypocrites, right? Or, maybe it's because you think you should have been blessed with a picture perfect life, and God didn't grant it to you! What's your beef with God, or, is it just a beef with religion? Inquiring minds want to know!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#166300 May 30, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>God made the whole world... and everything in it
Rather inefficient if your god is up there making each individual snowflake.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#166301 May 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So can we safely say now that you cannot back up your assertion and have failed for our amusement?
<quoted text>
we can say you can't disprove GOD! and yes my sunday school will get some good laughs when I show your posts...

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166302 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather inefficient if your god is up there making each individual snowflake.
if not GOD who

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#166303 May 30, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>if not GOD who
Temperature, moisture,... because they aren't made, they are the result of freezing water.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166304 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Temperature, moisture,... because they aren't made, they are the result of freezing water.
again GOD

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#166305 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Moist is the result of freeze? Hmm ok I thought is was because I was sexy :)>.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#166306 May 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Moist is the result of freeze? Hmm ok I thought is was because I was sexy :)>.
roflmao ... good one.

Ooh, that sounded like an insult to your joke .....

... hmm, oh well, take it what you will.:P

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#166307 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
roflmao ... good one.
Ooh, that sounded like an insult to your joke .....
... hmm, oh well, take it what you will.:P
Well I didn't start singing yet anyway....LOL

Scottsburg, IN

#166310 May 30, 2013
Why would I need to disprove something which has no evidence beyond assertion?
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>we can say you can't disprove GOD! and yes my sunday school will get some good laughs when I show your posts...

Since: May 13

Trenton, NJ

#166311 May 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
As usual you are wrong. It was slavery we even have scriptures saying the children of the slaves belong to the master. There scriptures saying how to beat your slave. Not to mention if a slave owner orders a female slave to have sex with him he is not to be punished. Only Hebrews owned by other Hebrews had any rights whatsoever. A non Hebrew slave had no protection at all.
Not even Jesus said to abolish slavery not did Paul. In fact Paul ordered a run away slave to return to his owner instead of staying free. Even at the time of the bible myths, several other cultures did not allow slavery whatsoever.
So we can clearly see how how dark and twisted your bible god's morality was. Ban his people from blending fibers in their clothes, but owning slaves is fine. Priorities.
<quoted text>
i wold like you to support each of your claims as a historian and take into account culture, lifestyle, historical data before you assert that each of these statements you are making is valid in the way you are putting it. all one has to do to dismiss this poorly made slavery argument is to understand how things worked back then. no one who raises this argument takes that into account intheir accusations and therefor misses half of thre own argument. but lets look at it for a second.

hebrew "slaves worked for seven years. they could marry, thy could own property. they could choose to live with their masters. they had access to the msters resources aka food, water, supplies. they had rights for physical protection (you cant punish a slave beyond a point). the women had sexual rights contrary to what you say, the bible makes it clear, you have sex with he, either you give her the rights of a wife, or she is to go free with her belongings because she was dishonored by the mans actions. foreign slaves had less rights because remember that a foreigner cannot be allowed to act foreign in a country that behaves a certain way. he is to act as a hebrew, not as he was. but after seven years he too could go free if he chose, with his possesions. a wife could not leave with her husbnd when he went free because she also has a reason why she was a servant as well, and if yor a worker, you cant just up and leave. business is business, and people had to make strict rules in order to ensure fairness. a hebrew could not be sold into slavery to another country because they did not offer the same protections that the other countries offered (one need only look into the archeology to prove that). the list goes on. now im well read on the subject of slavery and the bible because as an agnostic this was one of my objections. it took a historical comparison for me to realize that hebrew slavery was nothing like western slavery. would youlike me to get into the cultural aspect as well? remember that there was no such thing as welfare bak then.the slavery system of the hebrews, contrary to the slavery of the west, was not just to benefit the master but also to benefit the servant or to provide logical means of social support, almost like welfare, except youdont just get a handout, you work for it.

Trenton, NJ

#166312 May 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
As usual you are wrong. It was slavery we even have scriptures saying the children of the slaves belong to the master. There scriptures saying how to beat your slave. Not to mention if a slave owner orders a female slave to have sex with him he is not to be punished. Only Hebrews owned by other Hebrews had any rights whatsoever. A non Hebrew slave had no protection at all.
Not even Jesus said to abolish slavery not did Paul. In fact Paul ordered a run away slave to return to his owner instead of staying free. Even at the time of the bible myths, several other cultures did not allow slavery whatsoever.
So we can clearly see how how dark and twisted your bible god's morality was. Ban his people from blending fibers in their clothes, but owning slaves is fine. Priorities.
<quoted text>
also, one more thing. do you know what roman law was when it came to slaves? runaway, you die. harbor a slave, you die. free too many slaves, you get punished. so would it have been moral of paul to harbor a slave and get both him and the slave killed? mind you, paul asked him to return, and gave a letter pleading for his forgiveness, and also stating that he would take care of things for him. so in this case, paul did whaat was best given his situation. second, jesus didnt mention anything about slaves becase for as much as jesus said things that riled up the crowd of his time, he was very keen on not getting into political issues before the time was right, because the last thing you want to do is upset the roman law. second, slavery or some form of slavery was common during all timeperiods in all parts of the world. the lack of slavery in any given part of the world does not negate anything that ive said seeing as that it is just a side pointand does not further your argument.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#166313 May 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why would I need to disprove something which has no evidence beyond assertion?
<quoted text>
LOL! you can't

Scottsburg, IN

#166314 May 30, 2013
If a man has sex with a slave girl, he is not to be punished for she is a slave.

Only Hebrew slaves had any slight considerations. Non Hebrews had no protection, I notice you failed to mention that.

Even a Hebrew man slave can be forces into permanent slavery by blackmailing him with his own wife and children.

A female Hebrew can be forced into lifelong slavery.

You can beat your slave just so long as they can stand up after two days. Wow!

How about Jesus? Surely he would forbid owning another person right?

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.(Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Nope.

You can dress it up all you want but slaves are slaves. Bible slaves were beaten, raped and forced into slavery from birth to death.

I don't care what societies were doing at the time, the bible god clearly accepts, approves and even orders slavery. Meanwhile several other cultures at the time refused to allow slavery at the same time Jesus was telling slaves to obey and respect their masters.
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>i wold like you to support each of your claims as a historian and take into account culture, lifestyle, historical data before you assert that each of these statements you are making is valid in the way you are putting it. all one has to do to dismiss this poorly made slavery argument is to understand how things worked back then. no one who raises this argument takes that into account intheir accusations and therefor misses half of thre own argument. but lets look at it for a second.

hebrew "slaves worked for seven years. they could marry, thy could own property. they could choose to live with their masters. they had access to the msters resources aka food, water, supplies. they had rights for physical protection (you cant punish a slave beyond a point). the women had sexual rights contrary to what you say, the bible makes it clear, you have sex with he, either you give her the rights of a wife, or she is to go free with her belongings because she was dishonored by the mans actions. foreign slaves had less rights because remember that a foreigner cannot be allowed to act foreign in a country that behaves a certain way. he is to act as a hebrew, not as he was. but after seven years he too could go free if he chose, with his possesions. a wife could not leave with her husbnd when he went free because she also has a reason why she was a servant as well, and if yor a worker, you cant just up and leave. business is business, and people had to make strict rules in order to ensure fairness. a hebrew could not be sold into slavery to another country because they did not offer the same protections that the other countries offered (one need only look into the archeology to prove that). the list goes on. now im well read on the subject of slavery and the bible because as an agnostic this was one of my objections. it took a historical comparison for me to realize that hebrew slavery was nothing like western slavery. would youlike me to get into the cultural aspect as well? remember that there was no such thing as welfare bak then.the slavery system of the hebrews, contrary to the slavery of the west, was not just to benefit the master but also to benefit the servant or to provide logical means of social support, almost like welfare, except youdont just get a handout, you work for it.
Lincoln

United States

#166315 May 30, 2013
"we Irish call it malarkey."
LOL
Givemeliberty wrote:
If a man has sex with a slave girl, he is not to be punished for she is a slave.
Only Hebrew slaves had any slight considerations. Non Hebrews had no protection, I notice you failed to mention that.
Even a Hebrew man slave can be forces into permanent slavery by blackmailing him with his own wife and children.
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.(Ephesians 6:5 NLT)
Nope.
You can dress it up all you want but slaves are slaves. Bible slaves were beaten, raped and forced into slavery from birth to death.
I don't care what societies were doing at the time, the bible god clearly accepts, approves and even orders slavery. Meanwhile several other cultures at the time refused to allow slavery at the same time Jesus was telling slaves to obey and respect their masters.
<quoted text>

Trenton, NJ

#166316 May 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nope.
<quoted text>
it seems so odd to me that you avoided not only all that i asked for which woud have helped your assertion have some footing, but you also clarly pick and choose your verses. tell me, in that same book, what were the masters commanded to do? also, if your master wasnt christian,would you want him to be even more unfriendly to you just for being one? given the historical situation roman christians were in, pauls command was very useful for not getting beat by your master. second, its odd that you place what the verse says but nit how any of those things rlate to what the actual vrse says or to the culture. now i dont need to dress anything up. i gave you sufficient cultural answerss to a cultural objection you had. your wording indicats that you believe that youve made a releve=ant point or some kind of reasonable objection. now, lets do this again.

nonhebrew slaves didnot have the same rights as hebrew slaves. its logical because these are foreign people, possibly left over from war, who must be delt with in a manner to ensure strict rules are followed and that no one gets hurt. any nation no matter were even today places priority on its peoples freedoms over anyone eles.. this was also to ensure that people didnt go into israel and take advantage of the system in order to gain wealth. remember, if you are a slave, you gain specific wages, and aquire specific benefts.

its clear that you didnt read my point about the woman not leaving with the man. she owes the master her work. sh was a servant of his, she got married, and she has to finish off the time as a slave.she has responsabilities to fulfill, and that doesnt just stop when shes married. she does go free onthe seventh year, a fact you consistently overlook.and obviously the child needs the mother. he ot=r she cant stay with the father be cause he is busy using thefinances hes aquired throughhis time as a slave building is own property.

now, as for punishment, there was no jail back then, and so people got punished physically. thats how things were done. now remember that if the slave dies right away, the master dies too, so its within the best interst of the master to provide medical attention to his slave. if he does all he can, then he lives. if he lets his servant die, then he dies. the things were different then han it is now when it comes o being punished.

now mind you, none of this that you say is evidence for your case beyond the idea tht youdont like it.for your claims to be valid, you must answer within the context of yor accusation exactly how you are judging the bible, and by what framework. and the part about you saying that slavery is slavery underlines a missunderstanding you have about the subject, as well as a lack of historical reasoning behind your claims. in short, witout that evidence, it makes your claims weak if not invalid.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#166317 May 31, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
it seems so odd to me that you avoided not only all that i asked for which woud have helped your assertion have some footing, but you also clarly pick and choose your verses. tell me, in that same book, what were the masters commanded to do? also, if your master wasnt christian,would you want him to be even more unfriendly to you just for being one? given the historical situation roman christians were in, pauls command was very useful for not getting beat by your master. second, its odd that you place what the verse says but nit how any of those things rlate to what the actual vrse says or to the culture. now i dont need to dress anything up. i gave you sufficient cultural answerss to a cultural objection you had. your wording indicats that you believe that youve made a releve=ant point or some kind of reasonable objection. now, lets do this again.
nonhebrew slaves didnot have the same rights as hebrew slaves. its logical because these are foreign people, possibly left over from war, who must be delt with in a manner to ensure strict rules are followed and that no one gets hurt. any nation no matter were even today places priority on its peoples freedoms over anyone eles.. this was also to ensure that people didnt go into israel and take advantage of the system in order to gain wealth. remember, if you are a slave, you gain specific wages, and aquire specific benefts.
its clear that you didnt read my point about the woman not leaving with the man. she owes the master her work. sh was a servant of his, she got married, and she has to finish off the time as a slave.she has responsabilities to fulfill, and that doesnt just stop when shes married. she does go free onthe seventh year, a fact you consistently overlook.and obviously the child needs the mother. he ot=r she cant stay with the father be cause he is busy using thefinances hes aquired throughhis time as a slave building is own property.
now, as for punishment, there was no jail back then, and so people got punished physically. thats how things were done. now remember that if the slave dies right away, the master dies too, so its within the best interst of the master to provide medical attention to his slave. if he does all he can, then he lives. if he lets his servant die, then he dies. the things were different then han it is now when it comes o being punished.
now mind you, none of this that you say is evidence for your case beyond the idea tht youdont like it.for your claims to be valid, you must answer within the context of yor accusation exactly how you are judging the bible, and by what framework. and the part about you saying that slavery is slavery underlines a missunderstanding you have about the subject, as well as a lack of historical reasoning behind your claims. in short, witout that evidence, it makes your claims weak if not invalid.
Lots of text but no proof of god. Let the liars continue..

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#166318 May 31, 2013
Ray puelerico wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not matter how you dress it up slavery is slavery.

ps. learn to use the spell checker.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#166319 May 31, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>GOD made everything thats proof enough for me... how has been going in your neck of the woods! great to see ya
Nope, that’s faith enough for you, there is a big difference between the meaning of the word proof and the meaning of the word faith. You really do need to look up the meaning of the words proof, truth, belief and faith. You may find the education worthwhile

Fine thanks, how’s it in yours?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Yeah 1,403,351
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr zef 311,487
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 14 hr litesong 9,985
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat Trojan 32,307
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 22 Frankie Rizzo 201,877
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web