Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#165998 May 25, 2013
Secular vs religious stories written decades if not centuries later.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>There is plenty of historical evidence that Jesus existed.

I'm gonna try to ask you a honest question.....

What evidence of Julius Caesar is there that's different than Jesus?

Alexander the Great?

Nero?

Henry VIII?

Lexington, KY

#165999 May 25, 2013
Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms as they deal with different things. As has been explained to you. Atheist just means you do not believe in a god. Agnostic means you do not know of one exists.

So one can easily be an agnostic atheist.

Rest up this weekend, Monday you will have shovel in hand.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No they don't.

timn claims to he an atheist but also claims to not know of there's a god.

There nothing consistent about atheism.

Lexington, KY

#166000 May 25, 2013
Who is a topix atheist Dave? I have never heard of such a thing, can you provide a link?

It's okay George Burns look alike, we know you can't answer because I have as usual outwitted you.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Topix Atheists are stamped from a mould.

Wouldn't be much variation in thought there due to cponstruction. In fact, such was already done for them.

Of course, that small minority of people believes they are the ones "in the know", you know.

You are missing soomething and don't know it, Catcher.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166001 May 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Secular vs religious stories written decades if not centuries later.
<quoted text>
I knew it was pointless to ask you a question.

I guess now it's you that's cowering and refusing to answer.

Imagine that.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#166002 May 25, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Youre just a witty buffoon , with a law license.
Thank you, two out of three ain't bad.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#166003 May 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms as they deal with different things. As has been explained to you. Atheist just means you do not believe in a god. Agnostic means you do not know of one exists.
So one can easily be an agnostic atheist.
Rest up this weekend, Monday you will have shovel in hand.
<quoted text>
Ya, I know the difference between atheist and agnostic.

The point was there are people out there that *call themselves* atheists AND still think there may be a god.

Learn to read, dumb ass.
Inside your wife

Las Vegas, NV

#166004 May 25, 2013
Sex is a religious experience. My wife and girlfriends all yell, "Oh God, I'm cumming!"

Lexington, KY

#166007 May 25, 2013
Being an atheist has nothing to do with knowing or now knowing there is a god. That would be an agnostic or gnostic.

God at this point is just as likely as pink universe creating elves.

Sure there may be such a thing, but until we have some kind of observable proof there is no reason to believe.

Sadly you demonstrate once again you do not understand what an atheist is.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ya, I know the difference between atheist and agnostic.

The point was there are people out there that *call themselves* atheists AND still think there may be a god.

Learn to read, dumb ass.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#166009 May 25, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a clown.
Nor do I recite from any book.
Nor do I have a "little and constrained" mind.
I do my own thinking, and I draw my own conclusions.
I'm also careful not to chop my fingers off.
You do your own "thinking" and have drawn conclusions with said "thinking" within the parameters for such set in you by others.

You don't know how to get out of the box you are in.

I have all my fingers, although three have been altered from their original state.
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#166011 May 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are way too passionate in your non-belief.
Curious. There is way more variety of thought in theism than atheism. Topix atheists all say the same thing.
Give us an original thought of your own regarding existence.
Hmm... OK!

I was born PERFECT the first time. I lament that you were not this fortunate, thus requiring some kind of rebirth as taught in your faith.

I am a secular humanist, which I invite you to try.
Then let me share the good news with you. Here's where secular humanism will take you, given the chance.

Will you support this or fight it?:

THE AFFIRMATIONS OF HUMANISM: A STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php ...

[1] We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.

[2] We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, explain the world in supernatural terms, and look outside nature for salvation.

[3] We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.

[4] We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.

[5] We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.

[6] We [prefer] negotiation and compromise to [resolve] differences and achiev[e] mutual understanding.

[7] We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

[8] We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.

[9] We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on [prejudices] and strive to work together for the common good.

[10] We want to protect, preserve and enhance the earth, and avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.

[11] We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.

[12] We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

[13] Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.

[14] We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. Together we discover normative standards tested by their consequences.

[15] We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

[16] We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.

[17] We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.

[18] We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas.

[19] We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.

[20] We believe in optimism, hope, learning, truth, joy, tolerance, love, compassion, beauty, and reason rather than pessimism, despair, dogma, ignorance, guilt or sin, fear, hatred, selfishness, ugliness, and blind, irrational faith.

[21] We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#166012 May 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a little off, it's $170 billion in total, it's "only" $73 billion they spend on health care....
The expenditure of the [Roman Catholic] Church is estimated as $170 billion in 2010. Of this, 57% was spent on health-care networks, 28% on colleges and universities, 6% on dioceses, parishes and schools, and 2.7% on charitable activities.
http://www.banneroftruth.org/pages/articles/a...
http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx...
===
Now that's just the RCC, which is roughly half of Christianity.....
Wanna combine ALL of Christianity?
Wanna name one single atheist group that donates $73 BILLION dollars?
No?
Imagine that.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Lexington, KY

#166013 May 25, 2013
Meaning they couldn't restore them after your head injured self chopped them off?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You do your own "thinking" and have drawn conclusions with said "thinking" within the parameters for such set in you by others.

I have all my fingers, although three have been altered from their original state.

“B. Hussein Obama---”

Since: Nov 09

---CHINA'S BEST FRIEND

#166014 May 25, 2013
How does atheism require "faith?"

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#166017 May 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You do your own "thinking" and have drawn conclusions with said "thinking" within the parameters for such set in you by others.
Hahaha, good one.

Bobbitt could say the same.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#166018 May 25, 2013
When will we meet the lord? Don't give me crap. Give me a date.(not the fruit either)...

“The King of R&R”

Location hidden

#166019 May 25, 2013
Brand New Libertarian wrote:
Atheism = non belief. Any more idiotic questions? Are you an idiot? Jus' aksin'....

“The King of R&R”

Location hidden

#166020 May 25, 2013
Brand New Libertarian wrote:
Libertarians are known as "elitists". Are youse ones of dems?

“The King of R&R”

Location hidden

#166021 May 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
And I am still waiting for those diddilys to send me money. Weuns do need its!!!!!!!!!!
Bongo

Bayport, NY

#166022 May 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Who is a topix atheist Dave? I have never heard of such a thing, can you provide a link?
It's okay George Burns look alike, we know you can't answer because I have as usual outwitted you.
<quoted text>
Listen you morbid freak of nature. A topix atheist description includes but is not limited to this, A perfidious rote learned obstreperous prevaricator.

Lexington, KY

#166023 May 26, 2013
No half wit, I need to know what a topix atheist is, who specifically calls themselves a topix atheist?
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>Listen you morbid freak of nature. A topix atheist description includes but is not limited to this, A perfidious rote learned obstreperous prevaricator.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Yeah 1,110,179
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 35 min Junket 305,686
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr PEE PEE PETE 27,421
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 21 hr broombroom 200,976
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
ACC Tournament 2014: Biggest Storylines to Watc... (Mar '14) Sep 11 Anonymous 2
•••
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••