Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,961)

Showing posts 159,201 - 159,220 of223,223
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, that was childish.
But I have never claimed to be an adult.
I'll be 20 on Tuesday.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for a very honest statement of the atheist position.
It is evil, stupid, and deranged.
But it is certainly honest.
I tip my hat, XAmittyvilleWeasel.
All creationists are immoral liars with no proof of god, selling a cult that preaches honesty, while practicing the opposite.

By very nature they are two-faced and will lie through their teeth to convert anyone.

A popular tactic is to confuse an issue by calling it "controversial" just because idiots have an opinion, does not make it valid. They do this with abortion - by being ignorant behind the science of biology and other areas such as evolution.

Another tactic is to slander by talking about hitler (catholic) using false quotes from einstein (atheist) and by trying to claim that evolution is somehow not certain (its a fact) and by denying fossil evidence and repeating their beliefs for comfort.

The other tactic is to post as an agnostic (Lil Ticked & nanoanomaly) and then divert conversations when they show damning evidence against creationism & theism.

Lincoln has two tactics: post passive agressive commments about dawkins or atheists / science & post long propaganda articles repeatedly.

Buck and Educated What antagonise by making wild claims about atheists and scientists being wrong on evidence, all the while pushing their neocon agenda talking points straight from the discovery institute manual.

All of these tactics are dishonest and prove that these trolls have absolutely nothing of worth to contribute here and are fighting a losing battle.

“Faith means not wanting to ”

Since: Nov 10

know what is true.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Things are getting better, and worse.
Life is improving for me at least for now, with work comes money, and that money makes life more agreeable. I just hope this has staying power and the downward spiral doesn't come sooner than later.
That's sounds like, without ups and downs it would be boring, and we wouldn't know the good from the bad.

I would like to say stay strong it gets better, but they are words. But I am hoping for your sake that you do stay strong and it does get better.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
That's sounds like, without ups and downs it would be boring, and we wouldn't know the good from the bad.
I would like to say stay strong it gets better, but they are words. But I am hoping for your sake that you do stay strong and it does get better.
Hi mate, long time no see, how's it going?
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

"All creationists are immoral liars..", Tourette syndrome destroys his attempts at logic
Mom is home, so no use of profanity?
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
All creationists are immoral liars with no proof of god, selling a cult that preaches honesty, while practicing the opposite.
By very nature they are two-faced and will lie through their teeth to convert anyone.
A popular tactic is to confuse an issue by calling it "controversial" just because idiots have an opinion, does not make it valid. They do this with abortion - by being ignorant behind the science of biology and other areas such as evolution.
Another tactic is to slander by talking about hitler (catholic) using false quotes from einstein (atheist) and by trying to claim that evolution is somehow not certain (its a fact) and by denying fossil evidence and repeating their beliefs for comfort.
The other tactic is to post as an agnostic (Lil Ticked & nanoanomaly) and then divert conversations when they show damning evidence against creationism & theism.
Lincoln has two tactics: post passive agressive commments about dawkins or atheists / science & post long propaganda articles repeatedly.
Buck and Educated What antagonise by making wild claims about atheists and scientists being wrong on evidence, all the while pushing their neocon agenda talking points straight from the discovery institute manual.
All of these tactics are dishonest and prove that these trolls have absolutely nothing of worth to contribute here and are fighting a losing battle.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It is absolutely morally wrong to rape little children.
We agree that it is wrong to rape little children. Not only is it universally agreed upon as a "wrong", it is a biological imperative. But is it a moral absolute?

We can't even universally agree what constitutes a "child". Just a few generations ago, it was not uncommon in America for a person to be considered a marriageable adult as soon as they reached puberty - today an 18 year old who has relations with a 16 year old can be labeled a sexual criminal for life.

We could propose a situation in which a depraved individual demands that unless you rape that child, he will rape ten. In this hypothetical, we are faced with a choice to be moral in ourselves, but cause a greater immorality in others by our sanctimony. We are face to face with a subjective morality, or situational ethics.

But let's allow that situation does border on agumentum ad absurdum. We can make it much simpler. For an agreed upon wrong to be absolute, there must be an unequivocally absolute moral Arbiter. None can be conclusively demonstrated.

Yahweh, for instance, has nothing to say specifically on the subject, thus anything derived from his "Word" is human extrapolation, relying on layering and expositing various commands and examples found therein. Human interpretation is empirically subjective.

And even if his "Word" did say something specific, the perplexed human can find examples where rape is not just accepted, it is commanded. Sure Yahweh had his reasons that may arguably transcend humanity, but if he wanted to establish an absolute for his creation, he should rightly do his dirty work himself, and not command his followers to violate what is otherwise universally accepted >outside of his precepts< to be morally wrong.

You and I can agree that something is wrong, and thus create a society on that basis, but it is based in agreed upon concepts of justice and humanity. We have been given no graven tablets on which to base them upon. Thus I have yet to see an "absolute" morality.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll be 20 on Tuesday.
Good for you!
Imhotep

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

ANOTHER TEEN ATHEIST SUCCESSFULLY GETS 10 COMMANDMENTS REMOVED AT HIS HIGH SCHOOL

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/14/an...

Debate was recently sparked in Muldrow, Oklahoma, after an activist group at the behest of a teen atheist who attends the local high school threatened to sue over the presence of Ten Commandments displays in classrooms.

Rather than risk going to court with the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF), a non-theist organization, Muldrow Public Schools voted to remove the plaques, which were donated to the district in the 1990s.

On Monday, the Times-Record reported that the religious symbols were officially taken off the walls in high school classrooms. The decision was made at a school board meeting on Monday one that was widely attended by the local community.

Christians came with Bible-based slogans on their cars and with t-shirts defending the presence of the Ten Commandments displays. Bibles, too, were brought to the meeting. But their efforts were naught.

The youth are beginning to wake up. ;)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
ANOTHER TEEN ATHEIST SUCCESSFULLY GETS 10 COMMANDMENTS REMOVED AT HIS HIGH SCHOOL
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/14/an...
Debate was recently sparked in Muldrow, Oklahoma, after an activist group at the behest of a teen atheist who attends the local high school threatened to sue over the presence of Ten Commandments displays in classrooms.
Rather than risk going to court with the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF), a non-theist organization, Muldrow Public Schools voted to remove the plaques, which were donated to the district in the 1990s.
On Monday, the Times-Record reported that the religious symbols were officially taken off the walls in high school classrooms. The decision was made at a school board meeting on Monday one that was widely attended by the local community.
Christians came with Bible-based slogans on their cars and with t-shirts defending the presence of the Ten Commandments displays. Bibles, too, were brought to the meeting. But their efforts were naught.
The youth are beginning to wake up. ;)
I still do not understand why religious icons were placed in schools to begin with.

“Faith means not wanting to ”

Since: Nov 10

know what is true.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Hi mate, long time no see, how's it going?
Hey mate... I know life has happened, as you can understand. Yeah I am not bad, how's yourself?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Atomic_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey mate... I know life has happened, as you can understand. Yeah I am not bad, how's yourself?
Good, but a lot better now, my youngest has just come back from that place with lots of sand.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Tell it to the 60,000 different Christian religions that all say they and only they have it right.
Again for this god to allow such a wild variation on his so called word to go on for not a decade or a generation but thousands of years without correcting it? Either he doesn't care or doesn't exist.
Remember the bible clearly says believing is not enough if you are doing it incorrectly. 60,000 different Christian religions. Uh-oh!
<quoted text>
There isn't 60,000 Christian religions, so....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Name another group of people who work construction that go under that racist term? Oh and show proof to back it up.
Hurry up now bigot! Chop chop!
You can't and you know it. You were caught in your racism and are now being purposely obtuse.
Those Christian morals on display again I see.
Lol!
<quoted text>
Chop chop? Are you talking shit about orientals now?

Dude...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, I'll play. The fact that thousands of children were starving in Darfur was common knowledge, yet no Christians prayed to their God to alleviate their suffering? Is that it?
Ah, let's don't do that to the poor Christians. C'mon, I sat in churches and heard the prayers. As a Christian at the time, I went to mass events where the children were prayed for. I'm just giving my fellow humans the benefit of the doubt here. Surely we weren't the only people praying to a loving God about this travesty, striving to bring it to his wandering attention. But maybe you're right - maybe Christians in general really didn't give a sh!t. I don't want to believe it, but hey, you seem so certain.
As for how God responded, well, dude - whether "God" was placated with enough prayers or not, tens of thousands of kids still starved to death, didn't they? I mean, that's pretty much fact, ain't it?
Jesu Christo, no matter how we cut it, this "God" still comes out a bleeding ash-hole.
You're an ex-Christian? Like Hitler....

Huh.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't 60,000 Christian religions, so....
Well, it's more like 3,000, but yeah, there are a lot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:

There's a difference, a big difference in God and gods.
macumazahn wrote:
Really?
Can you define it for me?
Seriously? You don't know the difference between singular and plural?

Way to go, freethinker.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

The U.S. Supreme Court met today to decide whether it will hear the case of a religious freedom lawsuit involving the town of Greece. At issue, whether prayers can be used to open town board meetings.

Two Greece residents, Susan Galloway and Linda Stephens, filed suit against the town of Greece in 2008.

They allege the town's practice of opening town board meetings with a christian prayer flouted the first amendment.

"We don't control what is said. We don't even tell people what to say. We don't preview what is said. We just invite them to come and say what they think," said Ray DiRaddo, Greece Town Attorney.

While the Supreme Court met in conference on the matter today, it will not render a decision until early next week about whether it will hear oral arguments in the case in the October term.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>We've been over this before. No peer reviewed, legitimate study has ever found evidence that prayer works. When you throw "according to god's will" in there, you can then say "well, guess god didn't wanna answer those prayers." Cop out.
What "legitimate study" has found that there's no evidence that prayer doesn't work?

Remember, it's gotta be legitimate...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Loving, careing, teaching, learning, all things godbots can't do.
I could teach you that there's no such word as "careing".

But you probably wouldn't learn.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad you still make assumptions with zero actual evidence. Sad to be as ignorant as you.
FYI, I love it when you back pedal.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 159,201 - 159,220 of223,223
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••