Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#165632 May 18, 2013
Atheism ... A-theism.. Without theism... Without belief in god.

Sorry, I know it doesn't fit your apologetic argument but we deal in reality and reason.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism is the denial of the existence of God.

Contrary to what you might claim, atheism is determined to deny the possibility of God's existence.

Redefining a term does not change the clear behaviour, that you and other atheists engage in.

Your anger towards God and anyone presenting Him to you clearly shows that this is an emotional issue for you.

You can try to define a time in a certain way, but you have to justify this emotional reaction you have to the mention of Gods existence.

Lexington, KY

#165633 May 18, 2013
Why is Sweden not a cauldron of seething hate and violence then?

It seems your apologetic argument has more holes in it than a pasta strainer.

Atheism merely means not believing in god it has no other so called world views. It only deals with a lack of theistic belief.

Hence why most atheists are secular humanists and pacifists which describes most of our worldview.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Why is killing wrong when the stronger survive there is no basis in atheism for this to be wrong.

You claim it is sad, but why is it sad?

In your worldview, survival of the fittest is the only thing that matters, sadness is irrelevant.

Lexington, KY

#165634 May 18, 2013
Are you seriously trying to claim that today's secular humanist morals originate with Christianity? Lol!

Christianity states a non Christian can kill his family, go to prison, convert to Christianity and go to heaven while his victims who didn't convert most likely burn in hell.

No Christian that I have spoken to has ever denied this as you before did not deny this.

It is damn near impossible to have a worse set of morals.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>The evidence is you deny Christianity, whilst appealing to Christian standards of morality appealing to Christian revelations of the scientific method and basing most of your worldview on the Christian worldview.

When you are asked to rationalise from your own worldview alone you cannot do that you have to borrow from the Christian worldview.

You deny Christianity, but use its logic and philosophy to make your arguments. That in itself is all the evidence you should need.

Lexington, KY

#165635 May 18, 2013
This has been answered sadly you lack the comprehension to understand. This is most likely because of your apologetic brain washing. Sorry we can't fix stupid especially when you have a preconceived notion that you are unable to budge from. The sad thing is you start with your conclusion and work backwards.

This is highly illogical and childish.

Again until you have demonstrated observable proof for this Jewish sky wizard you call god, you are unable to assign deeds and attributes to him.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>You keep avoiding the question as does all the atheists on here so far.

You cannot account for why you have a sense of purpose.

All you can do is try to evade the question.

Proving the very point I am making.

You have a sense of purpose that you cannot account for it, you remove God from the equation and therefore the only reasonable explanation of why you have a sense of purpose is removed as well.

Your inability to answer the question proves the point.

Lexington, KY

#165636 May 18, 2013
Just smiling and pointing out your ignorance.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Was there a specific point you were trying to make?

Or are you merely indulging in arbitrary ad homonym?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#165637 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
On the subject of reasoning, can you account for the existence of logic?
You say that atheism is founded on logic, if that is the case, please can you account for the existence of the transcendental laws of logic.
No that isn't what I wrote.
I wrote that what topix theists think is atheism for many is no more than rational skepticism based on scientific reasoning, or aka freethinking based on logical thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#165638 May 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Anything that increases our ability to pass on our genes to the next generation is advantageous - caring for "family" members can certainly be an effective way to ensure our genes continue to descend.
Why is it advantageous to ensure our genes continue to descend and to who?

The universe doesn't care.

And the rest of the animal kingdom would benefit from our demise.

Your ancestors won't care who they got their genes from, in a few generations the wont even remember you.

The success of the human race in the atheistic worldview is irrelevant as according to atheism itself, it will disappear at some point as it becomes the next victim of evolutionary processes...

So looking at atheism, there is no real purpose to atheism, it cannot account for the sense of purpose each human has...

Location hidden

#165639 May 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is not a conscious agent. God is said to be a merciful, loving, all powerful being who turns a blind eye while babies starve to death.
What's your point?

Atheism demands that suffering be an essential part of evolutionary progress, so upon what absolute moral basis do you condemn this version of God you present?

Why would you care and upon what basis do you justify the moral position of caring.

Location hidden

#165640 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is the denial of the existence of God.
Contrary to what you might claim, atheism is determined to deny the possibility of God's existence.
Redefining a term does not change the clear behaviour, that you and other atheists engage in.
Your anger towards God and anyone presenting Him to you clearly shows that this is an emotional issue for you.
You can try to define a time in a certain way, but you have to justify this emotional reaction you have to the mention of Gods existence.
This is the classic attempt to shift the burden of proof to the nonbeliever. You cant prove there is a god so you arrogantly attempt to make the existence of one the default position.
You do not have to deny something that isn't there, but for your attempt to define belief , define mine a NON BELIEVER.
I simply do not believe what you do in any circumstance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonbeliever

Location hidden

#165641 May 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you actually think this makes any sense?
Absolutely, a sense of purpose itself requires an explanation of its existence, are you arguing that it doesn't?

Location hidden

#165642 May 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It is truly telling of your psyche that you require god to derive meaning from life.
How do you derive meaning from an atheistic worldview?

You criticise but fail to account for meaning.

Isn't that a reflection on your own psyche?:-)

Location hidden

#165643 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it advantageous to ensure our genes continue to descend and to who?
The universe doesn't care.
And the rest of the animal kingdom would benefit from our demise.
Your ancestors won't care who they got their genes from, in a few generations the wont even remember you.
The success of the human race in the atheistic worldview is irrelevant as according to atheism itself, it will disappear at some point as it becomes the next victim of evolutionary processes...
So looking at atheism, there is no real purpose to atheism, it cannot account for the sense of purpose each human has...
Now you are projecting your weak personal flaws on to others. Life has what purposes you make of it, we need no fricking skydaddy to tell us what our purposes in life can be.

Location hidden

#165644 May 18, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>We can easily derive meaning from our lives through our relationships with loved ones, our personal sense of fulfillment, our emotions, our morality, etc.

No god is necessary for life to have meaning. I don't understand why you consider life worthless without an afterlife. If anything, the fact (as far as we know) that this life is all we get makes it *more* meaningful, not less.
You have not understood the point I suspect.

I am not arguing that you do not have a sense of meaning.

I am pointing out that you cannot account for a sense of meaning.

To have meaning requires your existence to be intentional, if you are merely one of the universes accidents, then their is no rational basis for your sense of meaning and purpose.

Your worldview cannot account for your inherent sense of meaning...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165645 May 18, 2013
coping with atheists wrote:
<quoted text>
No he didn't , but thanks for admitting that God does exist. You do that more often than you realize. Your inability to drop the subject about God for starters.
The only reason you want to attempt to bully atheists into not talking about your delusion is so you do not have to face that your delusion is a delusion. That is all you have done with this post, betray the fear or being shown the one real fact:

Your god is a lie.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#165646 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you derive meaning from an atheistic worldview?
You criticise but fail to account for meaning.
Isn't that a reflection on your own psyche?:-)
Why does meaning have to be inherent?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#165647 May 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It was either accidental or it was intentional which one is it?
Yeah, nope. Reactions to forces of nature are not accidental, is the formation of snow an accident? Is the volcanic flow an accident? Is tectonic activity and accident? When the wind blows, is that an accident?
Lincoln

United States

#165648 May 18, 2013
The troll septic posting under another name
"Th-th-th-th-that's all, folks!"
Givemeliberty wrote:
Jackasses tend to bray.
<quoted text>

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#165649 May 18, 2013
coping with atheists wrote:
<quoted text>No he didn't , but thanks for admitting that God does exist. You do that more often than you realize. Your inability to drop the subject about God for starters.
You are here because you doubt your own beliefs.

But you're afraid to admit it.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#165650 May 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No that isn't what I wrote.
I wrote that what topix theists think is atheism for many is no more than rational skepticism based on scientific reasoning, or aka freethinking based on logical thinking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought
Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.

I know you are happier being submissive to those humans you consider smarter than you. Even though they will be less tolerant of differing opinions than the old order. You will be trapped in their determinations of your ultimate worth to humanity. And supporting them handsomely.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#165651 May 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Silly "frethinking" creature. You have just exchanged indoctrination by one group of men for indoctrination of others. You now worship men, and not the creative force.

I know you are happier being submissive to those humans you consider smarter than you. Even though they will be less tolerant of differing opinions than the old order. You will be trapped in their determinations of your ultimate worth to humanity. And supporting them handsomely.
"Worship" is unique to religion.

How ya doin', Dave?

Got all your fingers?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 38 min River Tam 307,096
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 1 hr Earthling-1 2,741
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr BRUINS FOR TRUTH 28,481
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 3 hr zubedaanur 693
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 hr UnderstandPeople 1,156,051
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... 23 hr best bet 2
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 Thu ivyawe 1
More from around the web