Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#165750 May 19, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you are rehashing what you humiliated yourself with last time.

Again you cannot assign attributes and deeds to a god until you can demonstrate there is even a god there to assign them to.
I have presented sufficient evidence.

The fact that you are inconsistent in your own worldview is evidence.

You attack Christianity whilst having to stand on it to make your arguments.

You have no foundation for logic, morality or the uniformity of the universe.

But keep insisting your point if view is something that should be accepted.

Christianity accounts for all of these transcendental laws.

Until you have something to shore up a worldview that cannot even get out of the starting blocks, you have no right to turn up to the table and discuss these things rationally.

In other words you have no rational basis for your worldview, all you offer is arbitrary opinion and prejudicial conjecture...

Location hidden

#165751 May 19, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Show me an example of absolute morality. I'd like to see one. Please save us both some font tho'- by be sure it is absolutely "Absolute" prior to response. Thanks, this could change my life.

It is absolutely morally wrong to rape little children.

Location hidden

#165752 May 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>It reflects quite poorly upon you that you can't possibly imagine why it would be wrong to take a life in the absence of an eternal punishment/reward for your behavior on earth. That is astounding.

Also, you make the mistake of assuming that the TOE requires it's "believers" to make moral decisions based on the notion of "survival of the fittest." That is absurd.
1. You have not understood Christianity.

2. I am asking any atheist here to account for their use of absolute moral values.

Location hidden

#165753 May 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism does not attempt to "account for the sense of purpose that each human has." Atheism is not a philosophy or a religion - it is simply a lack of belief in deities. Your post is rendered completely nonsensical by this simple misunderstanding.
I notice that atheists want to present this innocent position.

But when their actions often involve an attack on anyone has a different point of view, I think the evidence shows the real nature of atheism.

Atheism is anti-theism, plain and simple.

As can be seen on this thread.

The evidence is more important than a definition.

Location hidden

#165754 May 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism does not demand anything of the TOE. Again, you are making nonsensical errors.

My point is that your god - an "all powerful, merciful, loving being," is completely devoid of even a mote of compassion for his creations.
But you have missed the point. Without being able to account for an absolute moral position, you cannot judge any other moral position as valid or invalid.

Having failed to do that, your request makes no sense.

Location hidden

#165755 May 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism does not attempt to provide meaning. Why do you keep making these basic mistakes?
Have you listened to Richard Dawkins lately, he is an atheist who is always trying to argue that Atheism supplies meaning so I do not accept your evaluation.

Location hidden

#165756 May 19, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You are making completely baseless assumptions. Our "sense of meaning" does not require our existence to be intentional - you have no proof of this assertion.

Again, atheism does not attempt to "account for [my] inherent sense of meaning and purpose."
Can you account for a sense of purpose, and can you explain why you have a sense that there is meaning to your life.

From an atheistic worldview?

Location hidden

#165757 May 19, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>There's no absolute morality all morality is relative
Are you absolutely sure that all morality is relative?:-)

If morality is relative then there are times when is okay for people to commit acts of atrocity?

Location hidden

#165758 May 19, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>There are no absolute moral standards
I appreciate that this is your opinion.

Do you have a logical basis for making this argument?
Lincoln

United States

#165759 May 19, 2013
Ok folks, show's over, nothing to see here,
only the troll posting for Stalin under a third name.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Stalin renovated and even built several new Orthodox Churches. If what your church website says is true why would he renovate and build so many Orthodox Churches?
Also at the same time in history Christians were known to beat, tar and feather even kill non Christians in the streets even here in the US. Many life long Jews for example had to either convert or pretend to be Christians to save their own lives.
But I guess you don't want to look at how Christians at the time were behaving as well eh?
<quoted text>

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#165760 May 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Get a clue, HairyBetty.

Stalin's officially stated goal was "atheism".

Stalin's 5-year Atheist Plan:

"According to the plan on religion liquidation, all churches and prayer houses should have been closed [in] 1932-1933, all religious traditions implanted by literature and family [in] 1933-1934. It was planned that the country, and firstly, youth would be grasped by total anti-religious propaganda [in] 1934-1935; the last clerics were to be eliminated [in]1935-1936; the very memory about God should have been disappeared from life to 1937."
I knew that would draw you out of the woodwork.

Rofl!

How's Dave and bongo?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#165761 May 19, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>No just quoting it, when you quote or mention Dawkins does that mean you are in sync with him?

Such a childish debate tactic you Christians use I must say.
Buck is an indigo Christian.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#165762 May 19, 2013
Easily
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Can you supply any evidence for your claim about your family tree?

I would like to see some of the evidence you have offered.

Scottsburg, IN

#165763 May 19, 2013
Sure meet me in person I can show easily show you. Letters, photos the family tree. No problem and I can even go back further than that if you wish.

It has no relevance whatsoever to your argument in any way, shape or form though.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>Can you supply any evidence for your claim about your family tree?

I would like to see some of the evidence you have offered.

Scottsburg, IN

#165764 May 19, 2013
Nope I can use your exact style of argument to argue for the existence of Santa Claus, Thor anything really.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>He says using arbitrary claims with no reasoned argument...:-)

Scottsburg, IN

#165765 May 19, 2013
You have presented presupposing and apologetic logic which starts at a conclusion and works backwards only accepting that which bolsters your claim yes?

You only have logical fallacy after logical fallacy and were soundly humiliated before.

Still waiting for you to answer how your concept of god can be this absolute moral authority when you find many of his actions immoral?

If you are unable to answer this I will once again declare checkmate and accept your surrender as your better.

:)
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>I have presented sufficient evidence.

The fact that you are inconsistent in your own worldview is evidence.

You attack Christianity whilst having to stand on it to make your arguments.

You have no foundation for logic, morality or the uniformity of the universe.

But keep insisting your point if view is something that should be accepted.

Christianity accounts for all of these transcendental laws.

Until you have something to shore up a worldview that cannot even get out of the starting blocks, you have no right to turn up to the table and discuss these things rationally.

In other words you have no rational basis for your worldview, all you offer is arbitrary opinion and prejudicial conjecture...

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#165766 May 19, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It is absolutely morally wrong to rape little children.
Catholic Priests doesn't think so

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#165767 May 19, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If morality is relative then there are times when is okay for people to commit acts of atrocity?
people think it's morally right to bully people because they are gay
people think it's morally wrong to bully people because they are gay

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165768 May 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler lied on religion and almost everything else.
Atheist Stalin never claimed to be a Roman Catholic.
Both killed anyone who was expendable
Then Bush lied about being a christian too, he was really a pagan.

Stalin lied about being an atheist, he was really a Baptist.

Gee, this making stuff up is easy.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165769 May 19, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, morality is relative, even in your own bible it changes several times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min sonicfilter 1,548,857
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr Sam 314,710
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 20 hr What phartze 33,188
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Jun 13 Patriot 11,181
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun 9 Evidence phart 9
Penn State University & State College May '17 Truechange 1
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr '17 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
More from around the web