Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more
Libertarian

London, UK

#165261 May 13, 2013
Can someone explain.

I am an atheist.

I have no faith whatsoever.

I trust in the peer review method of science but it is trust not faith.

Please don't assume I have faith.
Faith - believing something which has no evidence or proof.
Everything I 'believe'or 'trust' has evidence and/or proof.

Accusing atheist of being as gullible as you is not a decent argument for faith.
It's like those who sneer at science and then try to use it in an argument.

Do you trust your television will turn on when you turn it on. Is it magic? no its not.
Libertarian

London, UK

#165262 May 13, 2013
My company has put out a way to spot possible mental illness in phonecalls we receive.

Funnily enough the definition of mental illness is basicly the same definition as religion.
Lincoln

United States

#165263 May 13, 2013
Libertarian wrote:
My company has put out a way to spot possible mental illness in phonecalls we receive.
Funnily enough the definition of mental illness is basicly the same definition as religion.
Funny the study on the opposite
Is atheism linked to autism? Controversial study points to  relationship between the two
People with 'mild' forms of autism are more likely to be atheists, according to a controversial new study - and more likely to shun organised religion in general......
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#165264 May 13, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> here cod lady
ten·et
[ten-it; British also tee-nit] Show IPA
noun
any opinion, principle, doctrine, dogma, etc., especially one held as true by members of a profession, group, or movement
Stupid theists: always willing to try to define sh*t - never providing evidence of the god they are lying about.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#165265 May 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny the study on the opposite
Is atheism linked to autism? Controversial study points to  relationship between the two
People with 'mild' forms of autism are more likely to be atheists, according to a controversial new study - and more likely to shun organised religion in general......
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...
Funny, you have no proof of god, yet choose to continue typing, instead of f*cking off with their tails between their legs like all the trolls do in the end.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#165266 May 13, 2013
Just ask Educated What - where the f*ck is he?

Where the f*ck is Lil Ticked?

See, they f*cked off when they realised that they had no proof of god.

But they will be back - again with no proof of god.

But plenty of proof that they are liars.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165267 May 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny the study on the opposite
Is atheism linked to autism? Controversial study points to  relationship between the two
People with 'mild' forms of autism are more likely to be atheists, according to a controversial new study - and more likely to shun organised religion in general......
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...
That actually supports the notion that religion is based on nothing more than made up stories. If your god was real, it would "speak" to those with such flaws, or it hates them. Such a kind god you have, it hates the most challenged of the humans.
Lincoln

United States

#165268 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That actually supports the notion that religion is based on nothing more than made up stories. If your god was real, it would "speak" to those with such flaws, or it hates them. Such a kind god you have, it hates the most challenged of the humans.
No necessarily my God but the other guy is a bit OCD "potty mouth"
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#165269 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That actually supports the notion that religion is based on nothing more than made up stories. If your god was real, it would "speak" to those with such flaws, or it hates them. Such a kind god you have, it hates the most challenged of the humans.
Two points about this crap linking autism to atheism. Firstly, I find tabloid Daily Mail stories are notoriously misleading,(and I'm not alone in that). Secondly, autism has only been a diagosis for the last forty or fifty years and there is some evidence that there might be something of an epidemic of it. Many adults with the condition aren't diagnosed as such and some children lose the diagnosis in later life.
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/jan2013/nimh-1...
This means that there may be a disproportionately high proportion of young people in the statistical group. Young people may be statistically less religious and superstitious. So, there could be lots of reasons why religion and superstition is less common in people on the autistic spectrum.

I see no particular significance in whether autisitic people are more or less religious or superstitious than the general population, but perhaps the subject was raised in reaction to the comparison of religious faith with mental illness - who knows or cares?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165270 May 13, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Two points about this crap linking autism to atheism. Firstly, I find tabloid Daily Mail stories are notoriously misleading,(and I'm not alone in that). Secondly, autism has only been a diagosis for the last forty or fifty years and there is some evidence that there might be something of an epidemic of it. Many adults with the condition aren't diagnosed as such and some children lose the diagnosis in later life.
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/jan2013/nimh-1...
This means that there may be a disproportionately high proportion of young people in the statistical group. Young people may be statistically less religious and superstitious. So, there could be lots of reasons why religion and superstition is less common in people on the autistic spectrum.
I see no particular significance in whether autisitic people are more or less religious or superstitious than the general population, but perhaps the subject was raised in reaction to the comparison of religious faith with mental illness - who knows or cares?
Your points are perfectly valid, I do not disagree with them at all actually, I was just pointing out that even if this was true, it does not bode well for religion either way. ;)
Lincoln

United States

#165271 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your points are perfectly valid, I do not disagree with them at all actually, I was just pointing out that even if this was true, it does not bode well for religion either way. ;)
The Democratic Party dropped secularism in 1992 with the Election of President Clinton and has carrier a majority vote for President in 1996, 2000, 2008 and 2012. Clinton won a plurality in 1992.
Atheist vote may be split between libertarian followers of Ran Paul and supporters of the big tent Democratic Party.
President Obama carrier the Roman Catholic vote in 2012.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165272 May 13, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh I get the inbox messages and trust me most of us are laughing at you not with you :))
Again not everyone can be a college educated success story. We need grunts like you to collect trash, dig ditches and wash ditches. I suppose your ilk needs the comfort of an imaginary god who you telepathically speak to. Whatever helps you through your day grunt.
<quoted text>
Funny.

It was "we all laugh at you", now it's "most of us"...

Imagine that.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165273 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So far, no atheist believes in wizards at all, that's what the christian religion believes in.
No it isn't.

A wizard is a *man* that has magical powers.

I challenge you to find one Christian that thinks God is a man.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165274 May 13, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Hell is a figment of your imagiation not our's. However if there is one, with hate in your heart and the lies you tell, you are certain to take up resitance.
2. Most atheists are atheists because we have read the bibull.
Yes, you only read it(and probably only parts of it), you never studied it.

You're ignorance made you an atheist. Congrats!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165275 May 13, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think god says "abracadabra" when he creates stuff?
No, you do.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165276 May 13, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
prove the god you're lying about or f*ck off, there's a good theist troll.
Feel the athibot love, eh Richards?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165277 May 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't.
A wizard is a *man* that has magical powers.
I challenge you to find one Christian that thinks God is a man.
So then your god is a squid with magical powers?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#165278 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then your god is a squid with magical powers?
Not too bright, are ya?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#165279 May 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not too bright, are ya?
Your bible claims we were "made in it's image," even then, a wizard does not have to be human, see Harry Potter for some examples, as well as Chronicles of Narnia. So you are worshiping a wizard, all that is required of a wizard is to use magical powers, or are you now claiming your god has no power?
Bongo

Bayport, NY

#165280 May 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So then your god is a squid with magical powers?
Shouldn't you be trying to get a boyfriend instead of wasting your time with vain babbling?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 38 min jimi-yank 309,242
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Earthling-1 4,945
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr PolakPotrafi 1,206,429
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 18 hr Nine Ball 201,794
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 20 hr Trojan 29,271
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) Thu kareeo 14
The night Adolph Rupp met Johnny Green Mar 18 alexreese447 1
More from around the web