Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244996 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#164932 May 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Dead bodies are notorious for not being animated .
Sorry to select just one statement from your far longer post.

But it's hilarious!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#164933 May 4, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> When you get to the bottom of things they usually paint quite a different picture.
"Parnia's belief is backed up by his experience at the margin of life and death in intensive care units for the past two decades he did his training at Guy's and St Thomas' in London and particularly in the past five years or so when most of the advances in resuscitation have occurred.
*Those advances most notably the (drastic cooling of the corpse to slow neuronal deterioration and the monitoring and maintenance of oxygen levels to the brain) have not yet become accepted possibilities in the medical profession. Parnia is on a mission to change that."
Note the *()
What this doctor has realized , is there is a larger window of successfully bringing a person back from clinical death without resulting in a person in a vegetative state due to brain damage.
Nothing suggests supernatural, it does suggest that memory does not degrade terribly if the blood /brain cooling methods are used
and more time is allowed in getting the patient to respond to treatments and restarting the patients heart.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/06...
You are missimng the point that if the consicousness is a captive of the material, as you profess, then the chemical decomposition would result in ever increasing random firings of neurons and disorganization. You would have no control of your thought processes, as you assume your thought processes are strictly a result of the relatively balanced networks that existed before your demise.

That educated, reasoned and rational brain you assume you possess now that is reading this will be the first thing to go.

You talk big now. If consciousnes and existence is strictly material based as you profess, then you will have a very rough time. Your poor little consciousness shrieking in terror because you lost control. But no one will hear you scream. Your body shut down and means of expression terminated.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#164934 May 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You had me worried, dude.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images...

What? You worried?

I find that hard to believe.

Since: Mar 11

Australia

#164935 May 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscie nce/2013/04/consciousness-afte r-death
Interesting article.
A Topix atheist takes his last breath. Ah..it is time for the big sleep.
Except he isn't sleepy.
Laying there in darkness and total isolation from the physical world outside for that sleep to come.
All the while neural circuits are disintegrating in his body and his mind, which of course includes his consciousness. Which is on its way to extinction.
Chemical decompostion. Random neuron firings. That lovely balanced brain they had, when alive, is now breaking down randomly. Would be nice if the terror circuits get broke before the higher intellect does.
Being just a product of meat, their consciousness WAS comprised of input signals from everywhere on their body working on that core of the brain circuitry. Flashes of what would have been pain injecting spurious signals within it. No more balance and self control. Scatterbrained.
Waiting.
Waiting.
A never ending nightmare.
It would never occur to evolution to provide you with a self thrown switch to ease your death.
And straight back at you!

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#164936 May 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missimng the point that if the consicousness is a captive of the material, as you profess, then the chemical decomposition would result in ever increasing random firings of neurons and disorganization. You would have no control of your thought processes, as you assume your thought processes are strictly a result of the relatively balanced networks that existed before your demise.
That educated, reasoned and rational brain you assume you possess now that is reading this will be the first thing to go.
You talk big now. If consciousnes and existence is strictly material based as you profess, then you will have a very rough time. Your poor little consciousness shrieking in terror because you lost control. But no one will hear you scream. Your body shut down and means of expression terminated.
No not really Dave , it is like a machine that in death will decompose, if that process is slowed down, and the machine repaired . It can function again with minimal memory loss and brain damage. It only shows that everything you are in contained in those neural tissues and networks that cooling and oxygenating can save them from degrading .(at least for several hours)
But when those tissues degrade and decompose everything you are is lost.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#164937 May 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If your brain is randomly firing neurons what makes you think you would have the ability percieve anything? Much less your conciousnes?

Since: Apr 13

Bulacan, Philippines

#164938 May 4, 2013
I still think Atheists still needs faith in what they believe in. Whatever that is. But they should be open to other people's opinions and welcome change once their beliefs has been proven wrong.

“Rising”

Milky Way

#164939 May 4, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
This was actually discovered when a few people drowned in freezing water ,and then revived after longer periods than considered possible without severe brain damage. Their recovery without the brain damage anticipated , has led medical science into ways of expanding on this fact that revival time without brain damage can be extended with new techniques.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#164940 May 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sad. You have to pity the people who suffer because of religion.
<quoted text>
Nobody suffers because of religion. People suffer because of politics. Yes, this world is a sick place!!

Hey, liberty guy!!!!

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#164941 May 4, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody suffers because of religion.
Please tell me you are joking.

Location hidden

#164942 May 4, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell me you are joking.
Truly religious people have never hurt anybody!!!

It is the b*st*rds who have no understanding of spirituality that carry out immoral acts such as murder. The are full of anger and greed for power and they are blinded by it. People who really understand that my God is your God meaning my mother is your mother, they never want to hurt anybody, they r the nicest people on the earth. They do their own stuff they let u do your own stuff!!! They want peace!!!!! Wars are to do with politics and these greed b*st*rds use their 'religion' when it suits them. One day they are eating pork, the next day they are saying, "allah hu akbar" and killing babies!!

Open your eyes and understand how religion is used in politics. Stop calling the gun evil for killing babies, stop calling the people who manufactured the gun evil, blame the person who uses a gun to kill babies. A gun is a f*ckin' gun, it has no mind of it's own! The same gun can even be used to protect the life of a baby. One gun can be used with different intentions!!!

“Rising”

Milky Way

#164944 May 4, 2013
XYZ wrote:
<quoted text>What about radical US nations of Bush' Xtain Fundie coalition and its politics vs Islamic fundies?
Islamic fundamentalism threatens people of all religion or of no religion when it attacks civilian targets in the US.
A concise and decisive secular response is warranted and was sanctioned by the United Nations. Despite any flavor attributed by the President in office in his decisions regarding the response , the response will come as warranted by the pursuit of Justice the people of this nation so decree. 9/11 would have never gone unrewarded by this nation.

Location hidden

#164945 May 4, 2013
XYZ wrote:
<quoted text>What about radical US nations of Bush' Xtain Fundie coalition and its politics vs Islamic fundies?
Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

All i know is that they are all greed b*st*rds, they get innocent people killed but they f*ckin' live 'til they r 100. Someone is getting money and someone thinks they are getting a free ticket to heaven, but they are all greed for something, at the end of the day.

Saudi arabia is also a muslim country, it has such an immoral government, but Mr Bush always used to hold the door for the Arab princes and the American government and the Saudi government are best friends, even today!!! God bless 'em!!!!

Understand the politics, people!! open your minds!!!

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#164946 May 4, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Truly religious people have never hurt anybody!!!
It is the b*st*rds who have no understanding of spirituality that carry out immoral acts such as murder. The are full of anger and greed for power and they are blinded by it. People who really understand that my God is your God meaning my mother is your mother, they never want to hurt anybody, they r the nicest people on the earth. They do their own stuff they let u do your own stuff!!! They want peace!!!!! Wars are to do with politics and these greed b*st*rds use their 'religion' when it suits them. One day they are eating pork, the next day they are saying, "allah hu akbar" and killing babies!!
Open your eyes and understand how religion is used in politics. Stop calling the gun evil for killing babies, stop calling the people who manufactured the gun evil, blame the person who uses a gun to kill babies. A gun is a f*ckin' gun, it has no mind of it's own! The same gun can even be used to protect the life of a baby. One gun can be used with different intentions!!!
Spanish Inquisition
The Crusades
9/11
Bali
IRA
Al Qaeda
Taliban

Location hidden

#164947 May 4, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Spanish Inquisition
The Crusades
9/11
Bali
IRA
Al Qaeda
Taliban
POLITICS USING RELIGION CARD!!!!! GREEDY B*ST*RDS AGAIN!!!

U honestly telling me the people involved in the above, were truly religious people? R u really gonna compare them to saints??? REALLY??

SPIRITUAL PEOPLE HAVE NO FLAMIN' GREED!!!
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#164950 May 5, 2013
Lexis123 wrote:
I still think Atheists still needs faith in what they believe in. Whatever that is. But they should be open to other people's opinions and welcome change once their beliefs has been proven wrong.
You sold me! PTL !

I am very, very OPEN to having 'been proven wrong'

Be the 1st to convert me... ;)

Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs.

Until this time, and it will be an eternity - you are only one of many religious cult members - each claiming more or less the same immortality or enlightenment as others.

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.

I live life so that when my feet hit the floor in the
morning Satan trembles with fear and says "OH For Christ's sake... he's awake!"
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#164951 May 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscie nce/2013/04/consciousness-afte r-death
Interesting article.
A Topix atheist takes his last breath. Ah..it is time for the big sleep.
Except he isn't sleepy.
Laying there in darkness and total isolation from the physical world outside for that sleep to come.
All the while neural circuits are disintegrating in his body and his mind, which of course includes his consciousness. Which is on its way to extinction.
Chemical decompostion. Random neuron firings. That lovely balanced brain they had, when alive, is now breaking down randomly. Would be nice if the terror circuits get broke before the higher intellect does.
Being just a product of meat, their consciousness WAS comprised of input signals from everywhere on their body working on that core of the brain circuitry. Flashes of what would have been pain injecting spurious signals within it. No more balance and self control. Scatterbrained.
Waiting.
Waiting.
A never ending nightmare.
It would never occur to evolution to provide you with a self thrown switch to ease your death.
In see you projecting your absolute horror of death. Better start really believing in the afterlife bullshit like all Theists who accept even the most ridiculous claims to ease their fear of death.

Evolution is only concerned with survival not death. You talk of evolution as though it is an entity with compassion. Another dumbs who knows nothing about the process of evolution. Now go and get some religion, if for no other reason than to quell your insane fear of death

The intelligent balanced mind realizes we all have a turn, that simple. Here's your turn, do the best you can, make the most of your turn and then make way for those behind you.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#164952 May 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
Endorphins shut out some of the pain and sensations. Kind of works on an intact brain that has blood pumping.
It stops pumping when you are dying. In fact, most things tend to stop their normal processes in such an event.
Dead bodies are notorious for not being animated and a certain lack of interactiveness between the body and the mind.
Your brain portion, your consciousness center, is a little pool of quivering chemicals within the greater mass breaking down randomly.
Little pools of oxygen throughout the body and the brain, chemical processes, and the accompanying neural activity, which all add up to your physical consciousness. All falling apart piecemeal. Uncontrolled thinking. Memory banks being flushed. No escape for a physical consciousness.
Not an organized shutdown. But YOU will be the center of it. And the one affected.
More projecting of your absolute horror of dying. Poor slob!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#164953 May 5, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody suffers because of religion. People suffer because of politics. Yes, this world is a sick place!!
Hey, liberty guy!!!!
Go tell that to the women under the Talaban rule you stupid cow. Now tell me that sharia law is political. Educate yourself. "Fat and stupid is no way to go through life."
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#164954 May 5, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
POLITICS USING RELIGION CARD!!!!!
True. Religion isn't always what motivates such violence or terrorism. Religion certainly does nothing to inhibit it and religious divisions seem to encourage sectarianism.
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
GREEDY B*ST*RDS AGAIN!!!
U honestly telling me the people involved in the above, were truly religious people?
Some were. Much violence has occurred due to religions beliefs, "holy land", and other gibberish held as sacred. Whoever heard of an atheist suicide bomber?
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
R u really gonna compare them to saints??? REALLY??
SPIRITUAL PEOPLE HAVE NO FLAMIN' GREED!!!
Spiritual people aren't obviously better or different than people like me who feel we have no spiritual side. We're all just human and the products of nature and nurture.

Religion = superstition. It's divisive and outdated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min sonicfilter 1,263,845
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr Earthling-1 6,488
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... 7 hr Brian_G 1,716
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr Brian_G 310,346
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Fri bernarlyn 33
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Fri tom wingo 29,852
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,846
More from around the web