Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#164763 May 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
In both cases they are written by people wanting to entertain and tell a story.
STOP. wait a sec.

Prove they were written by people "wanting to entertain".

Then we'll continue.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164764 May 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes and they tried to extract vengeance on Q after he was stripped of his powers. He even was going to sacrifice himself to save everyone on board the enterprise.
He went from being a god to a humble man who could be killed, and with no guarantee of his survival or continued existence he faced certain death. Jesus knew he was going to be resurrected in comparison.
As far as saviors go I say Q has to win! He had more to lose and still was ready to die for a group of people who totally hated him.
<quoted text>
That was a great episode, I've seen it dozens of times. Deja Q. Love it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164765 May 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why can't you show observable evidence for god?
Because I'm less powerful than God.

Why can't you show observable evidence that God isn't real!?
Why did he seem to vanish as more and more people became literate?
Is that so?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#164766 May 1, 2013
In ancient times people stood on the streets telling people of the adventures of Jesus in dramatic ways meant to entertain and get people to stop and listen to them. This acting and drama is how the stories of Jesus spread and became known. They didn't have tv or the Internet so they performed like this from sunrise until late at night.

Even Greek writers mocked how silly and overly dramatic the Jesus speakers were in their efforts to lure people. Interesting stuff and actually quite humorous :))

Q himself is a work of fiction and quite entertaining. Entertainment being the point of a successful show. If one fails to entertain the show is canceled.

Much like ancient religions that failed to entertain fell by the wayside.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>STOP. wait a sec.

Prove they were written by people "wanting to entertain".

Then we'll continue.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#164767 May 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I was pointing out the reform you were praising as not being reform at all, because I know you favor reform and amnesty.
I have never supported any kind of 'sweeping amnesty for all illegals'.
What an utterly dishonest load of crap.

Just read what you posted.

Lexington, KY

#164768 May 1, 2013
I love how Data tells him how Troi orders a chocolate sundae when she is upset. Q says give me 10 of them because I am in a really bad mood!

Lmfao!

Classic.

I personally dig true Q as you can't help pity Amanda for her plight. Personally I think Riker missed out on a golden opportunity there :))

Plus it doesn't end the way you think it will. Really opposite of what you think a federation chick would do in that case, but her hand was forced.

If only TNG movies had those complex stories as the show did.

Alas we get Picard in a fcking dune buggy.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>That was a great episode, I've seen it dozens of times. Deja Q. Love it.

Lexington, KY

#164769 May 1, 2013
I don't believe in god as there is no observable evidence for him as you have admitted.

There you go.

And yes he vanished. If you will consider.

In ancient illiterate times god supposedly spoke to the people and issued commandments because of silly matters like picking up some sticks for firewood or cooking goat meat in goat milk. For wearing blended fabrics or sitting on a chair that a woman on her monthly had sat on earlier. But mostly if his followers had deviated in the slightest from how he wanted them to worship him and live.

Yet now we have thousands of variations of Christianity alone not to mention dozens or more variations of the Jewish faith. Now we have bombings over this, mass murders, children being buried alive, women burnt at the stake and worse!

Total silence.

If he existed he could clear all this up in a heartbeat! Show he exists, reiterate the proper way to worship, believe and live, unify the thousands of various Christian groups into one. Are we to believe that blended fabrics outraged him but burning women at the stake in Africa is no biggie? Goats meat cooked in goats mild infuriated him but Catholic/ Protestant fighting resulting in the deaths of children is not worth his effort to utter one word to stop it?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Because I'm less powerful than God.

Why can't you show observable evidence that God isn't real!?

[QUOTE] Why did he seem to vanish as more and more people became literate?

"

Is that so?
Expert in all things

Redding, CA

#164770 May 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why can't you show observable evidence for god? Why did he seem to vanish as more and more people became literate?
<quoted text>
Why can't you show observable evidence for Laws of Logic? Or do you not believe in Laws of Logic?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#164771 May 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We have, or at least I have. Countless times I've written on Topix that I cannot prove God to you.
This is the point where you're supposed to stop lying about your god.
But no, you guys build churches and litter the world with books.

This is why we have science. To stop idiots wasting precious resources. Too late for that now.

Thanks to the mental illness suffered by 90% of the world (theism), you've f*cked it up for everybody.

And here you STILL are, banging on about a god you have no proof of.

Shameful immoral lying theists. Shame on you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#164772 May 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it a fact? That Jesus is fictional?
Huh....
Evidence, please.
Only idiots require proof for a negative. Most fictional characters are so, due to lack of evidence, Jesus is no different. I do get awfully tired of schooling you......but since you have regressed fro your last lesson in logic.....here:

1.) I believe God is real and answers prayers and performs miracles.......a POSITIVE CLAIM...(evidence required)

2.) Due to the overwhelming lack of evidence I have a LACK of belief........a NEGATIVE STANCE.....NOT a claim........(no evidence required.)

Schools out, now back to your delusions about imaginary being touching you on the head!!!!!!
Expert in all things

Redding, CA

#164773 May 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why we have science. To stop idiots wasting precious resources. Too late for that now.
Thanks to the mental illness suffered by 90% of the world (theism), you've f*cked it up for everybody.
You are unable to make this claim. Do you not claim that we are controlled by chemical reactions and electrical impulses?

Don't you also believe that morals are subjective and not objective? So, your truth may not be the same as someone else's truth. Therefore you cannot claim someone lied.

You were last kid to get picked on the team in Jr. High, huh?
Expert in all things

Redding, CA

#164774 May 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Only idiots require proof for a negative. Most fictional characters are so, due to lack of evidence, Jesus is no different. I do get awfully tired of schooling you......but since you have regressed fro your last lesson in logic.....here:
1.) I believe God is real and answers prayers and performs miracles.......a POSITIVE CLAIM...(evidence required)
2.) Due to the overwhelming lack of evidence I have a LACK of belief........a NEGATIVE STANCE.....NOT a claim........(no evidence required.)
Schools out, now back to your delusions about imaginary being touching you on the head!!!!!!
You can try to use that to hide from the God argument, but what evidence do you have to support your Epistemology?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164775 May 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
In ancient times people stood on the streets telling people of the adventures of Jesus in dramatic ways meant to entertain and get people to stop and listen to them. This acting and drama is how the stories of Jesus spread and became known.
STOP. Hold on....

You're gonna hafta demonstrate that they did, in 'ancient times', stand on the streets, tell others stories, told stories dramatically,'meant' to entertain, and acted dramas.

Then you're gonna hafta demonstrate that did in fact spread the word of Jesus.

Go.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164776 May 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What an utterly dishonest load of crap.
Just read what you posted.
Sorry, I can't write vocal inflections. Otherwise, you wudda noticed the sarcasm.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164777 May 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I love how Data tells him how Troi orders a chocolate sundae when she is upset. Q says give me 10 of them because I am in a really bad mood!
Lmfao!
Classic.
I personally dig true Q as you can't help pity Amanda for her plight. Personally I think Riker missed out on a golden opportunity there :))
Plus it doesn't end the way you think it will. Really opposite of what you think a federation chick would do in that case, but her hand was forced.
If only TNG movies had those complex stories as the show did.
Alas we get Picard in a fcking dune buggy.
<quoted text>
My favorite part was when Q gave Data the gift of laughter. But when Geordi chimed in, I was like "WTF Geordi! Let him laugh!"

I thought the dune buggy was cool. You know that scene was filmed not far from me? It's strange that most aliens worlds have a strong resemblance to Southern California....

There's a great Q book from Peter David called "Q Squared", you should check it out.

There's also a book trilogy centered around Q.

Q-Space, Q-Zone, Q-Strike. They're on amazon and only a few bucks each, actually I recently bought them for .01 cents.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164778 May 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
And here you are, unable to prove that God isn't real.

Hell, you can't even prove you have hands.

Quit lying and shut up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164779 May 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I don't believe in god as there is no observable evidence for him as you have admitted.
There you go.
And yes he vanished. If you will consider.
In ancient illiterate times god supposedly spoke to the people and issued commandments because of silly matters like picking up some sticks for firewood or cooking goat meat in goat milk. For wearing blended fabrics or sitting on a chair that a woman on her monthly had sat on earlier. But mostly if his followers had deviated in the slightest from how he wanted them to worship him and live.
Yet now we have thousands of variations of Christianity alone not to mention dozens or more variations of the Jewish faith. Now we have bombings over this, mass murders, children being buried alive, women burnt at the stake and worse!
Total silence.
If he existed he could clear all this up in a heartbeat! Show he exists, reiterate the proper way to worship, believe and live, unify the thousands of various Christian groups into one. Are we to believe that blended fabrics outraged him but burning women at the stake in Africa is no biggie? Goats meat cooked in goats mild infuriated him but Catholic/ Protestant fighting resulting in the deaths of children is not worth his effort to utter one word to stop it?
<quoted text>
That's an interesting story, it really is.

But it's just your opinion. God speaks toe and billions of other people.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#164780 May 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Only idiots require proof for a negative. Most fictional characters are so, due to lack of evidence, Jesus is no different. I do get awfully tired of schooling you......but since you have regressed fro your last lesson in logic.....here:
Schools out?

O_o

But your second example there is incomplete.....

'What' is it you have lack of belief in?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#164781 May 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
'What' is it you have lack of belief in?
I lack belief in the supernatural: ghosts, witches, gods, fairies, angels, hexes, astrology, step-on-crack-break-mother's-b ack, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, magic, you name it. If it's supernatural, I don't believe in it.

Any other questions?
Expert in all things

Redding, CA

#164782 May 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I lack belief in the supernatural: ghosts, witches, gods, fairies, angels, hexes, astrology, step-on-crack-break-mother's-b ack, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, magic, you name it. If it's supernatural, I don't believe in it.
Any other questions?
So your beliefs do not include ghosts, witches, gods, fairies, angels, hexes, astrology, step-on-crack-break-mother's-b ack, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, magic, you name it. If it's supernatural, You don't believe in it.

That leaves you with what then?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Buroc Millhouse O... 1,156,684
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 16 min Brian_G 307,141
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin For Life 28,515
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 7 hr Christian Atheism 694
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 12 hr IBdaMann 2,745
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Sat yinefsfgd 3
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 Dec 25 ivyawe 1
More from around the web