Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#164657 Apr 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been wondering where Dave Nelson may have gone.
He and Eagle12 disappeared.
Eagle12 began as a new identity for KJV, who had made too many enemies to continue without rebirth. He did this without deception, announcing the change in his user name at the time, but using the new name in an attempt to make a fresh start. So he hasn't disappeared at all, he has simply resumed using the KJV ID.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#164658 Apr 29, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Im moving forward with great speed, and well off i might add. Accomplished that without a science book, dufec.. Its you who should get educated and learn how to communicate on a civil level, other than that of a self absorbd arrogant prick behind a computer screen tapping a key board!
<quoted text>
Really? we went to the moon? Surely you dont believe that do ya??:> That was staged in hollywood..... You should try reading the only BOOK worth reading, Holy Bible... It will take you above and beyond the moon. It's you who remain willfully ignorant, a fool. Those who are ignorant let them remain ignorant, so please carry on..
<quoted text>
Knowledge abounds but wisdom is rare. Hats off to the science world, they have done many great things. So get ur panties out of a wadd.
You're joking right? You don't really think the Apollo missions were fake do you?

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#164659 Apr 29, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>No.
I came to realize later in life that God had never been real to me and that my struggles with religion sprang form an inner core of skepticism that has been part of my psyche from my earliest memories, which begin sometime before my fourth birthday. I so wanted to believe. I really tried to for a very long time. In the end, it required more effort than I could muster. So I relaxed and allowed myself to be myself.
Wow,, thats a very young age to be aware of religion.. So you dont see a difference between having religion as to having a relationship with God?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#164660 Apr 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You give yourself too much credit, based on this post alone, it's plain to see you have zero education in any scientific field at all. Sad that you wasted your life.
Are you sure that it is not ... projection?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#164661 Apr 29, 2013
Do you have some reasoning it would be a projection?
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Are you sure that it is not ... projection?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#164662 Apr 29, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow,, thats a very young age to be aware of religion.. So you dont see a difference between having religion as to having a relationship with God?
Both are delusions, one you buy the snake oil, the other you peddle it.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#164664 Apr 30, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Im moving forward with great speed, and well off i might add. Accomplished that without a science book, dufec.. Its you who should get educated and learn how to communicate on a civil level, other than that of a self absorbd arrogant prick behind a computer screen tapping a key board!
<quoted text>
Really? we went to the moon? Surely you dont believe that do ya??:> That was staged in hollywood..... You should try reading the only BOOK worth reading, Holy Bible... It will take you above and beyond the moon. It's you who remain willfully ignorant, a fool. Those who are ignorant let them remain ignorant, so please carry on..
<quoted text>
Knowledge abounds but wisdom is rare. Hats off to the science world, they have done many great things. So get ur panties out of a wadd.
O_o

Location hidden

#164665 Apr 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You're joking right? You don't really think the Apollo missions were fake do you?
Lol,, yes! and , no!!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#164666 Apr 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You're joking right? You don't really think the Apollo missions were fake do you?
Yah, I'm still blinkin' at that one.

Location hidden

#164667 Apr 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Both are delusions, one you buy the snake oil, the other you peddle it.
Really, that means you spent tones of money on it then. According to your religious background'(s)..

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#164668 Apr 30, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for taken the time to explain the method..
So in other words you use the ''igneous layers'' and characteristic fossils as the main starting point to date all other fossils and layers of rocks in the dateing method?
I would say that the starting point is the observation that there is a consistent sequence of layers and a corresponding consistent sequence of fossil animals, plants, molds, pollens, etc. Also, the observation that certain plants, animals, and/or chemical properties only appear in certain layers.

It is the consistent sequence that gives the *relative* dates: which things are older and which are younger. So even without absolute dates (exact ages), we can still see how species change over time, how geological processes work, etc. We can even use the characteristic fossils to get relative dates.

The absolute dates typically (not always) come from radioactive analysis of igneous layers. We can then use the relative dates obtained from the sequencing to get ranges of absolute dates for the other layers.

Now, a person working *today*, after all the hard work of finding the sequences, finding the characteristic fossils, finding the absolute dates, etc has been done, can look at a particular layer and the fossils in it and get a pretty reliable date. More accuracy can be had if there are local igneous layers that can be dated more accurately.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#164669 Apr 30, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course there is a difference: having a religion is having a set group of people that tell you what to do. Having a relationship with God is having an imaginary friend.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#164670 Apr 30, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
I *really* hope you are joking. Yes, we went to the moon. The technology was there. The desire was there. The build up was there. The direction of the signals was there. The infrastructure was there.

Let's face it. If the moon landings were faked, the Soviet Union would have touted that to the world. They would have been able to tell from the direction of signals, just as *amateur* radio operators were.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#164671 Apr 30, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle12 began as a new identity for KJV, who had made too many enemies to continue without rebirth. He did this without deception, announcing the change in his user name at the time, but using the new name in an attempt to make a fresh start. So he hasn't disappeared at all, he has simply resumed using the KJV ID.
Thanks. I hadn't noticed that KJV had returned.

Lexington, KY

#164673 Apr 30, 2013
So eagle is also langoliers? Hmmm not surprised.
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle12 began as a new identity for KJV, who had made too many enemies to continue without rebirth. He did this without deception, announcing the change in his user name at the time, but using the new name in an attempt to make a fresh start. So he hasn't disappeared at all, he has simply resumed using the KJV ID.

Lexington, KY

#164674 Apr 30, 2013
Some have stopped buying the snake oil unlike who...
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>Really, that means you spent tones of money on it then. According to your religious background'(s)..
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#164675 Apr 30, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So....They "staged" the moon landing? You might to ask yourself how the mirrors they use for laser measurements got on the surface of the moon.

The bible is the only book worth reading?...really? Why would I want to read a book that condones slavery and rape? You do realize how immoral the bible is right? If the bib is truly the word of God, then he/she/it is a cruel murdering fanatic. Here is what is contained in your "The only book worth reading" Genocide, rape, slavery, blood sacrifice, laws that require a rape victim to marry her rapist, the wonton murder of little babies, and the destroying of unborn fetuses. All of these are present i the bible. Care to try a refute any of this?.....No I didn't think so. Its a book written by frighten old men, a book with NO original manuscripts, a book written by multiple authors, many can't even agree on timelines and events. A book that has been translated to the point were any original meaning is lost. Now let me hear you make a feeble attempt to defend this immoral holy book.

Lexington, KY

#164676 Apr 30, 2013
The bible says disease is caused by demons.... Imagine the lives Jesus would have saved if he had commanded people to cover their mouth and nose when sneezing.
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>Really, that means you spent tones of money on it then. According to your religious background'(s)..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#164677 Apr 30, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Why?
<quoted text>
Because Mac said fundies "don't know the first effin' thing about their bible. Or science. Or debate."

That's a baseless claim

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#164678 Apr 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The details will have to be worked out.
But I'm glad you're with the program.
You weren't a while back, were you?
If you're implying that I'm for any kind of amnesty for illegals, you're wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Incognito4Ever 1,155,819
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Phil Donahue 307,074
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... 3 hr best bet 2
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 4 hr Earthling-1 2,738
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin For Life 28,455
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 17 hr ivyawe 1
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 23 hr Bently 201,187
More from around the web