Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
157,341 - 157,360 of 225,631 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

English please? You're girl can gargle my coco puffs and rod if you have doubt about my gender. I'll even leave a generous amount of thick DNA on her face for you to test fair enough?

:flush:
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>pshawww. and youre the one who is gender challenged in addition to being scared of what will happen upon your demise.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. A drawing shows that someone had the idea of the image in that drawing. So a drawing of a unicorn proves the existence of the *idea* of unicorns. It does not prove unicorns, only the idea of unicorns.
Yes, counting proves the existence of the *idea* of 5. The difference is that 5 *is* the idea. So someone counting to 5 shows that the *idea* of 5 exists.
In the case of unicorns, the unicorns do not actually exist (as far as we know), but the *idea* of unicorns definitely exists. But the number 5 is *only* an idea.
It takes a special gift to give serious and thoughtful answers to truly stupid questions. Kudos!

Carnegie, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Those "scientific estimates" are very likely to change, as they have so much in the past.

"scientific estimates" used to claim the Milky Way is the universe.

"scientific estimates" used to say the universe is infinite.

Then "scientific estimates" changed to say the universe is finite.

Then "scientific estimates" changed it back.

Don't get all hot & bothered over current "scientific estimates"....
KJV WROTE:
Just watch the squirming when you simply try and pin down what they believe vs. what the correct definitions
are.

Always a good time

SaidI writes:
As humans have progressed so has our knowledge our testing methods improved, our understanding.
The way your going on is as if science hasn't gotten anything right. look at the world around you. Mass amounts of Estimates, trials, going back to the drawing board, scrapping, restarting have gone into your world. Will you believe in science if you get some horrid disease? they get medical science wrong too. But look at all the right.
Average people don't have Science Illustrated, delivered to their door.
As with religion you can tell people anything and they believe, maybe they are fooling us!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Nobody is selling dumbass. If I offer you a gift and you refuse it, who does it belong to? Now get back to await your fate.
First, nothing is free, there is always a cost that must be paid. Second, you are selling, you want blind agreement in exchange for your "gift." Not to mention that .... what if you're wrong and the Aztecs were right? Replace Aztecs with any of the other millions of religions and billions of gods.
Bongo

Bayport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
English please? You're girl can gargle my coco puffs and rod if you have doubt about my gender. I'll even leave a generous amount of thick DNA on her face for you to test fair enough?
:flush:
<quoted text>
Youre jizznasty swine. Your incessant posts are nothing but vapid rants of a madman.
Bongo

Bayport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
First, nothing is free, there is always a cost that must be paid. Second, you are selling, you want blind agreement in exchange for your "gift." Not to mention that .... what if you're wrong and the Aztecs were right? Replace Aztecs with any of the other millions of religions and billions of gods.
Listen porky, you cant do better than the strawman argumaent? Take up your faithlessness with your creator, youre a smart gal, right?

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

:) I love making these puppets dance.

Now now to the crowd :)
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>Youre jizznasty swine. Your incessant posts are nothing but vapid rants of a madman.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Oops I forgot to say... The word is you're and in this case you need to put an a after you're.

You're welcome my slow witted puppet.
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>Youre jizznasty swine. Your incessant posts are nothing but vapid rants of a madman.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

"Scratch and atheist and out pops an agnostic..."
Philip Winter

old adage seems valid
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Lincoln wrote:
"Scratch and atheist and out pops an agnostic..."
Philip Winter
old adage seems valid
Seems is correct but these are better

“Religion is the original pseudo-science.”~David Rand

“The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.”~Delos B. McKown

“A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes.”~James Feibleman

“Gods always behave like the people who created them.”~Zora Neale Hurston

"By the year 2000, we will, I hope, raise our children to believe in human potential, not God." ~Gloria Steinam

“Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish.”~Judith Bandsma

ONE MO! Lol

“The Romans killed Jesus on the cross. His death on the cross saved us from our sins. Therefore, we should worship the Romans.”~Earle Jones

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes a special gift to give serious and thoughtful answers to truly stupid questions. Kudos!
I've been a math professor for the last 27 years. Answering stupid questions is an essential part of my job.
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been a math professor for the last 27 years. Answering stupid questions is an essential part of my job.
So as a math professor, do you believe that infinity exists in reality?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention that his "gift" requires absolutely nothing from him.

It's kind of like bringing your trash to a neighbor and saying, "Here. This is my gift to you. No need to thank me."

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>

Welcome back!
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention that his "gift" requires absolutely nothing from him.
It's kind of like bringing your trash to a neighbor and saying, "Here. This is my gift to you. No need to thank me."
Anyone want to defend this post as being a rational, logical or a scientific statement of fact?

or maybe it is just ignorant mockery?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone want to defend this post as being a rational, logical or a scientific statement of fact?
or maybe it is just ignorant mockery?

GASP! You may assume that, the opinion of your opinion will vary.
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
GASP! You may assume that, the opinion of your opinion will vary.
Well, let's wait a few minutes to see if someone is going back up your BS claim.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
So as a math professor, do you believe that infinity exists in reality?
As a math professor, I have no position. Math is an abstract study whose contact with reality is not required.

As a *physics* student, the answer depends a bit on what you mean. It is *possible*, for example, that space is infinite. It is also possible that time is infinite into the past. Neither of these possibilities are known to be true and there is at least some evidence that time may be finite into the past. The flatness of space suggests that it is infinite in extent, but we do not know that for certain as yet.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
As a math professor, I have no position. Math is an abstract study whose contact with reality is not required.
As a *physics* student, the answer depends a bit on what you mean. It is *possible*, for example, that space is infinite. It is also possible that time is infinite into the past. Neither of these possibilities are known to be true and there is at least some evidence that time may be finite into the past. The flatness of space suggests that it is infinite in extent, but we do not know that for certain as yet.
When one thinks of the known existing, or previously existing, "things" that exist(ed), but some of them are billions of light years apart (which to me is way too big to even attempt to get my brain to see), it would seem unlikely that if it were possible to get to where the very furthest away item is, that after that would be nothing. I can't even imagine what that would look like, if it were possible to see, but because the edge of it would be many billions of light years apart (one item from the next) it would likely not be possible to see the edge anyway in any manner that humans could see it.

If space too is flat, then it must have an upper and a lower limit. But how would that be? If there is nothing above or below that flatness, what does nothing look like, if one could describe it?

Even though the numbers, distances, and times are just way too big for a human mind to conceive of, I feel most comfortable with thinking that there is no beginning and no end of 'something', though each individual, for example, human or other animals, definitely has a beginning and an end, though the basic elements making up those entities were likely always existing in some form.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Listen porky, you cant do better than the strawman argumaent? Take up your faithlessness with your creator, youre a smart gal, right?
Erm, straw man? Do you know what a straw man is? It seems not. Your chances of being correct are far less than mine, because I'm not buying anyone's junk without evidence first. Imagine you die and face the god you actually chose and say "I said I believed just so I wouldn't be punished even though I didn't actually believe you existed." Yeah, that will make it happy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,095,870
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr Love Lost 305,388
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 hr Bruin For Life 26,967
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Tue RICK SERVICE 28
loan needed (Dec '13) Aug 12 Simon 5
loan offer (Jun '13) Aug 10 Tram 81
Na Aug 9 rrg cgr 1

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••