Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256610 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#163601 Apr 17, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
Fallacy in logic, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
You gotta have a better argument than that, there are many things you believe without evidence.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence if the scope of that absence is limited. But when the scope approaches universality, it becomes stronger. At any rate, in the absence of evidence, there is always less reason to believe than to disbelieve.
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#163602 Apr 17, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Empirical, testable, repeatable ?and verifiable.
Do you have any for your god?
First, I have not postulated a god.

Next, please give me an example of empirical evidence that can prove the number 5.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#163603 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Next, please give me an example of empirical evidence that can prove the number 5.
Sorry, got you mixied up with reagal. Ignore the god part then.
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#163604 Apr 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence if the scope of that absence is limited. But when the scope approaches universality, it becomes stronger. At any rate, in the absence of evidence, there is always less reason to believe than to disbelieve.
That may be, but let me point out that your statement can not be quantified or scientifically tested, therefore meaningless.

See the problem?

Nunya

#163605 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Define "prove the number five".
bohart

White Pine, TN

#163606 Apr 17, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith = Belief
Atheist believe there is no God.
Atheist have faith that there is no God.
Faith = religion.
Religion = Cult
Atheist is a cult.
ATHEISM IS A RELIGION as deemed by the courts.
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent design proponent declared:
The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.[15]
::::::::::
There is a general consensus that:
A person who believes in a specific God is a Theist.
A person who actively denies the existence of God is an Atheist.
Note: see Merriam-Webster
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is nodeity
A person who feels that we have no method by which we can conclude whether a deity exists is an Agnostic.
“The word cult in current popular usage usually refers to a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.[1] The word originally denoted a system of ritual practices. The word was first used in the early 17th century denoting homage paid to a divinity and derived from the French culte or Latin cultus,‘worship’, from cult-,‘inhabited, cultivated, worshipped,’ from the verb colere,'care, cultivation'.”~ Wikipedia
“Dogma is the official system of belief or doctrine held by a religion, or a particular group or organization”~ Wikipedia.
Organizations of atheists ritually denounce the existence of God. They have become an organization, dedicated to the activity of removing all relic’s of Theism from public places. Their dogma is based entirely on their notion or belief that God does not exist. These organizations work tirelessly towards this effort.
It is no longer possible for an individual to simply state they are an atheist, by reason of personal belief, and not be affiliated, by membership or indirect alignment with these organizations.
These organizations have an official system of belief and their doctrine is to end the belief of theism on this planet.
They are exclusive, ritualistic, and have a belief system which generates activity within and beyond the boundaries of the organization. They are a Cult.
http://www.ted.com/conversations/13943/is_ath...
It's amazing how religious these atheists are, and they don't even realize it.
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#163607 Apr 17, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!

Thanks madscot.

Nunya

#163608 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Exactly!
Thanks madscot.
Exactly what? When you say prove the number 5, what are you asking?
Prove that it exists? Prove that 5 is half of 10? Prove that 5 is an odd number? You need to be a little less vague with your question.

Nunya

#163609 Apr 17, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
It's amazing how religious these atheists are, and they don't even realize it.
Your attempt to drag atheism down into the sh!thole that religion wallows in fails miserably.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#163610 Apr 17, 2013
In other words, you got nothing.
<quoted text>Exactly!

Thanks madscot.
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#163611 Apr 17, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what? When you say prove the number 5, what are you asking?
Prove that it exists? Prove that 5 is half of 10? Prove that 5 is an odd number? You need to be a little less vague with your question.
You are right, my bad.

Can someone provide me an example of 'empirical evidence' that will prove the number five exists.

Nunya

#163612 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>
You are right, my bad.
Can someone provide me an example of 'empirical evidence' that will prove the number five exists.
It's a concept, why do you need proof that it exists?
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#163613 Apr 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
In other words, you got nothing.
<quoted text>
Don't see you refuting anything there snack shack!

Feeling like a big boy? Let's dance you and I...

Knoxville, TN

#163614 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>
That may be, but let me point out that your statement can not be quantified or scientifically tested, therefore meaningless.
See the problem?
No, I don't. It's more about logic than science. In the absence of evidence that something is so, skepticism is always a more reasonable response than belief.

Knoxville, TN

#163615 Apr 17, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
This reminds me of Bill Cosby's old "Why is there air?" routine. It reaffirms my rejection of the idea that there is no such a thing as a stupid question.
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#163616 Apr 17, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a concept, why do you need proof that it exists?
I agree, it is an abstract. I was asking for an example of empirical evidence that would prove that it exists?
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#163617 Apr 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't. It's more about logic than science. In the absence of evidence that something is so, skepticism is always a more reasonable response than belief.
Do you believe that? Sure can't prove it!
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#163618 Apr 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
This reminds me of Bill Cosby's old "Why is there air?" routine. It reaffirms my rejection of the idea that there is no such a thing as a stupid question.
Run away coward, U R such my Beeeatch!

Nunya

#163619 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I agree, it is an abstract. I was asking for an example of empirical evidence that would prove that it exists?
3+2

You never replied to this :

<quoted text>
Fallacy in logic, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
You gotta have a better argument than that, there are many things you believe without evidence.

Yes it is, if the evidence should be there. If God suspended laws of physics to interact with this universe we would be able to detect it.

Nunya

#163620 Apr 17, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Ain't that the truth

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,420,185
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 5 hr BUZZFEED fan 10,066
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Sun ThomasA 311,628
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Aug 27 Trojan 32,332
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web