Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Expert in All Things

Cottonwood, CA

#162928 Apr 1, 2013
nizam wrote:
Islam is the true religion
How do you know this?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#162929 Apr 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
"Where did Darwin's ideas lead?
let's see, emblazening "In god we trust" on every single nazi belt?

Location hidden

#162930 Apr 2, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Darwin was dead how could he be against it?
Because he thought of its implications first you twit. It's got his freaking name in it.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#162931 Apr 2, 2013
And under your langoliers screen name you used this exact same excuse not a week ago saying KJV was out if the country. Where? Why?..... Just you know out of the country lol!

So pathetic.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>Well I am not Langoliers sorry to disappoint you. Langoliers is out of the country.
gommom

Pittsburgh, PA

#162932 Apr 2, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
Religon is a Lie,,,Takes no Faith to burn the Bible
Imhotep

United States

#162933 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen we see RR's lack of reading comprehension crystal clear here.
I quote Hitler gushing about banishing atheism in Germany and he thinks I am the one making the claim.
Anyone want to say he has achieved even an 11th grade education? Anyone?
<quoted text>
A juvenile with way too much time on her hands.
A life spent on topix - hopelessly arguing a subject people in this forum have no interest in.

It appears that atheist forums attract bizarre religious types. I wonder how many atheists attend super religious forums where people revel in their shared fantasies?

For amusement purposes only.

What entertains me the most is the level of desperation!

Australia

#162934 Apr 2, 2013
nizam wrote:
Islam is the true religion
Only if your Islamic!
If your Christian, Catholic, Mormon, Jewish, your religion is the "true", religion. So tell me what was God up to, telling all of you your's is the true religion, causing you to fight, hate anyone that thinks differently from you. And what? kill in his name. All sounds like a bit of a joke, if you weren't so serious.

Lexington, KY

#162935 Apr 2, 2013
Honestly I never patrol the religious boards myself, although I have heard there are some juicy ones with much fail to laugh at :)
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>A juvenile with way too much time on her hands.
A life spent on topix - hopelessly arguing a subject people in this forum have no interest in.

It appears that atheist forums attract bizarre religious types. I wonder how many atheists attend super religious forums where people revel in their shared fantasies?

For amusement purposes only.

What entertains me the most is the level of desperation!

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#162936 Apr 2, 2013
I've decided to repost the critiques of Langoliers' statistical assertions that KJV reposted in toto so that readers who haven't read them before can have a look. Here's the first:

In order to compare results of surveys, you have to look at the metadata, i.e., how the subjects were selected, what questions were asked, and how the results are analyzed. The above results are from a wide variety of polls and tend to represent a small but stable worldwide atheist population--since the results are from different polls, the variation wouldn't be enough to determine a trend even if the metadata were known.

As one who follows these studies, though, I have to say that the 2012 figures are probably not from a poll that was conducted in 2012, only one that was published then. The last surveys by Pew and ARIS were conducted in 2005-2007, and when the references are traced, they almost invariably come from one of those sources. I don't know of any comprehensive study that post-dates those. I would expect that studies conducted in 2012 will see their first publication sometime this year, and I will be surprised if they don't show modest growth, but there's no way of knowing until new results are available.

Studies of smaller populations show a modest decline of religion, notably in Ireland (IN-Gallup).

In the US, the data is more dynamic with ARIS showing a decline in the religious population from 89.5% in 1990 to 79.9% in 2008 and an increase of "nones" from 8.2% to 15.0% over the same period. It should be noted that only 7% of those "nones" are what ARIS calls atheists,(certain that there is no God), and 35% agnostics compared to 2% and 10% in the general population, modest compared to some PEW studies, but differences in the phrasing of the polls' questions could have accounted for that.

Atheism in the rise, stable or declining: inconclusive.

Knoxville, TN

#162937 Apr 2, 2013
From the current CIA Factbook:

"Religions:

"Field info displayed for all countries in alpha order. Christian 33.39%(of which Roman
Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, non-religious 9.66%, atheists 2.01%(2010 est.)"

So the CIA actually says the estimate is from 2010, but they don't say how the it was made. Looking at the entries for individual countries, it appears that the CIA relies on local extra-agency sources for the proportions in each country and compiles the worldwide statistics from there. Some of those statistics show the hallmarks of estimates that are not based on actual studies. I get suspicious when the proportions are too neat like the 80%/19%/1% ratio seen for Afghanistan or the 50%/25%/24%/1% for Zimbabwe. The estimates for China are incredibly farfetched--Daoist (Taoist), Buddhist, Christian 3%-4%, Muslim 1%-2% note: officially atheist (2002 est.)--and account for only 4%-6% of the population. The ones for India are from a 2001 census and don't account for atheists at all, perhaps because theism is not necessarily a part of one of the major religions.

Given all of that, the estimate in the CIA Factbook seems to be less than precise.

Knoxville, TN

#162939 Apr 2, 2013
A word about sources: there are original sources and secondary sources--and tertiary sources and so on. I prefer original sources. When perusing Wikipedia (one of my favorite sites, by the way), I usually finish up by following the links in the reference section.

The questions you should be asking yourself when you are evaluating information from Wikipedia, Britannica, the CIA Factbook, or adherents.com , are: where did the data come from?; what is its original source?; How as the data collected and analyzed?; and how old is it?. Very often, that data traces back to the Pew Forum, ARIS, Gallup, or a government statistical agency. Only by going to those original sources can you look at the all-important metadata so that you can evaluate its accuracy.

The CIA Factbook is a good case in point. The don't collect or analyze data on religious demographics. Rather, they rely on the best local data that they can find. The quality of that data varies widely from one country to the next. Some of the data is recent and fairly precise, but much is sloppy and/or old. This is especially true of the less developed Asian and African nations as well as a substantial number of Islamic nations. These nations account for more than half of the Earth's population, so the CIA data is insufficient for evaluating trends or even estimating the current worldwide demography.

Even Gallup, Pew, and ARIS have to rely on old and imprecise data in countries where collecting the data themselves is not possible for political or logistical reasons. As a result, the largest scale at which accurate estimates and trends can be evaluated is nationally, and that only for nations that facilitate or at least allow competent demographic collection, analysis, and publication.

When you look at the data at that level of detail, you will have to agree that, while the trends for some nations seem clear, worldwide religious demographic trends are unclear.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162943 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
As you said, Non aryan. Hitler believed Jesus was an aryan and was working to promote positive Christianity, his own take on the Protestant church.
He wanted this to become the main church in Germany, again from YOUR link!
Every action you mention here is him working towards that goal of his positive Christianity for Germany. Basically mimicking what the King of England had done.
Again from your own link.... Now you were going to be providing these historians or???
<quoted text>
Are you gonna link or site any ONE of the quotes you've posted?

No?

You lose.

Lexington, KY

#162945 Apr 2, 2013
It was from your own link my reading comprehension lacking puppet. Are you unable to click your own links now?

Hitler wanted positive Christianity to take over Germany in the form of Protestantism.... Again from your own link.

Checkmate
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Are you gonna link or site any ONE of the quotes you've posted?

No?

You lose.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162946 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
It was from your own link my reading comprehension lacking puppet. Are you unable to click your own links now?
Hitler wanted positive Christianity to take over Germany in the form of Protestantism.... Again from your own link.
Checkmate
<quoted text>
Dumb ass. Hitler wanted to replace Christianity with Nazism (which isn't a religion).

I see your checkmate and raise you a bitch-slap.

Lexington, KY

#162947 Apr 2, 2013
Positive Christianity, his own vision of the Protestant religion, from your own source thanks.

Care for some bacon?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Dumb ass. Hitler wanted to replace Christianity with Nazism (which isn't a religion).

Lexington, KY

#162948 Apr 2, 2013
Anyone else having flashbacks of when Buck confused chess and poker terms?

Yes just when you think they couldn't get any dumber.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Largelanguage

Wrexham, UK

#162949 Apr 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb ass. Hitler wanted to replace Christianity with Nazism (which isn't a religion).
Hitler didn't want to replace christianity with Nazism. Where did you read that?

Lexington, KY

#162950 Apr 2, 2013
He pulled it out of his christhole.
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>Hitler didn't want to replace christianity with Nazism. Where did you read that?

Location hidden

#162951 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Anyone else having flashbacks of when Buck confused chess and poker terms?
Yes just when you think they couldn't get any dumber.
<quoted text>
it's like arguing with a person with a hole in his head.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#162952 Apr 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Checkmate
<quoted text>
Then when neither church would support him he formed his own.

http://www.ucg.org/reemergence-reichstag/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min sonicfilter 1,155,537
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 min PreacherOpensHeart 307,060
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin For Life 28,452
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) 10 hr Lora_14 10
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 10 hr sam 201,186
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 17 hr IBdaMann 2,731
Rashard Kelly's last-second putback gives No. 1... 22 hr dogman67156 1
More from around the web