Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,823)

Showing posts 156,441 - 156,460 of223,979
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> That is giving that the line was not an insertion, and there are plenty of seasoned historians who think it was. But even if we accept it as genuine, it is far less than revealing as a believer would hope.
It is a highly generic statement, that could in fact be in reference to about any christian who led the order.
I see it as a confirmation of rebellion existed to rule of thumb. so it is merely confirmation that elements contrary to absolute authority existed, and that some payed dearly for not fitting in like flynn.
It is pretty clear that the lines in Josephus are insertions, but it isn't so clear that the lines in Tacitus are. The 'flow' isn't disrupted in Tacitus like it is in Josephus.
Largelanguage

Holywell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Rush wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats! I remember what it was like my first time..........Now next is when he hopes you are dead, or tells you to kill yourself.*sigh* Young love.
Are you a new user then?
Did you start off on the california threads?
And young love is such rebellion, little boys think that their love is new, and exciting, when really they are just trying to replace the lack of affection they had from their mother.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose you believe we've finished the periodic table....
No, and irrelevant. We know about protons and neutrons and that they can go together to form nuclei. The question in the periodic table is whether they can go together to make really big nuclei.

You like to argue that lack of *current* evidence of certain scientific phenomena is equivalent to the *permanent* lack of evidence of theological ideas. There is a HUGE difference. First of all, new evidence will come from areas we have not yet explored or been able to explore because of lack of technology. But anything detected is, by definition, physical. You, on the other hand, are claiming the existence of a non-physical which, again by definition, cannot have physical evidence. That means that it is impossible, even in theory to have evidence of your deity. You have even admitted as much.

I will admit that people have 'religious experiences'. There is actually a wide variety of such experiences produced in some fairly well-known situations. Read some William James some time if you want a more detailed investigation. The question isn't whether humans can experience this type of emotional upheaval. The question is whether there is a supernatural that in any way causes such experiences. THAT is the point you consistently avoid and that must be addresses before any mention of deities can even proceed.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A hallucination is the perception of something not present.
I didn't hallucinate.
Look, ass, you don't have to believe me. But you should accept that want I'm saying is my perception.
It's obvious that I'll never convince you. It should be obvious to you that you'll never make me doubt.
So shut that cock holster you call a mouth.
Yes, and those who hallucinate have deeply moving experiences also. They are experiences of things that do not exist, though. You *claim* you didn't hallucinate, but that would be my default assumption if I experiences such things.

How do you convince someone who has hallucinated that what they experienced was a hallucination?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I know.
How do you know when you're in love?
How do you know when you're jealous?
*shrugs*
You just do.
But go on, prove you love your mother.
I'll wait.
Love and jealousy are very different. They are *internal* experiences, not perceptions of *external* realities. You can have both emotions without there being any real external subject for them.

In the case of *internal* experiences, you can 'just know'. In the case of *external* reality, you cannot.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've answered those questions already, several times.
It's not my fault you don't pay attention.
I used to own a Dodge.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a new user then?
And young love is such rebellion, little boys think that their love is new, and exciting, when really they are just trying to replace the lack of affection they had from their mother.
WTF? You are so incredibly damaged...
Rush

Columbus, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a new user then?
Yes, first day.
No, Nebraska GBR!
Actually, young love starts with being horney, and goes from there.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a new user then?
You love little boys?

Not surprising....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
No, and irrelevant. We know about protons and neutrons and that they can go together to form nuclei. The question in the periodic table is whether they can go together to make really big nuclei.
You like to argue that lack of *current* evidence of certain scientific phenomena is equivalent to the *permanent* lack of evidence of theological ideas. There is a HUGE difference. First of all, new evidence will come from areas we have not yet explored or been able to explore because of lack of technology. But anything detected is, by definition, physical. You, on the other hand, are claiming the existence of a non-physical which, again by definition, cannot have physical evidence. That means that it is impossible, even in theory to have evidence of your deity. You have even admitted as much.
I will admit that people have 'religious experiences'. There is actually a wide variety of such experiences produced in some fairly well-known situations. Read some William James some time if you want a more detailed investigation. The question isn't whether humans can experience this type of emotional upheaval. The question is whether there is a supernatural that in any way causes such experiences. THAT is the point you consistently avoid and that must be addresses before any mention of deities can even proceed.
I wasn't talking about physical evidence for my non-physical experience.

But you make sense.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and those who hallucinate have deeply moving experiences also. They are experiences of things that do not exist, though. You *claim* you didn't hallucinate, but that would be my default assumption if I experiences such things.
How do you convince someone who has hallucinated that what they experienced was a hallucination?
I understand.

But my default position is that I didn't hallucinate.

I doubt anyone could convince me otherwise.

I'm not a super spiritual kinda guy, I've never "spoken in tongues", I don't believe in ghosts or auras or karma...

None of that crap.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Love and jealousy are very different. They are *internal* experiences, not perceptions of *external* realities. You can have both emotions without there being any real external subject for them.
In the case of *internal* experiences, you can 'just know'. In the case of *external* reality, you cannot.
I disagree.

They are internal experiences caused by an exterior force.

It's pretty hard to fall in love with nothing or be jealous of nothing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to own a Dodge.
It was the Dodge Scapegoat, huh?

Figures....

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I understand.

But my default position is that I didn't hallucinate.

I doubt anyone could convince me otherwise.

I'm not a super spiritual kinda guy, I've never "spoken in tongues", I don't believe in ghosts or auras or karma...

None of that crap.
Anybody hallucinating would claim they were not.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It was the Dodge Scapegoat, huh?

Figures....
If you had been born on an island that had never encountered the bible or anyone familiar with it, would you still be able to experience the biblical god or Jesus?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody hallucinating would claim they were not.
Not true.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had been born on an island that had never encountered the bible or anyone familiar with it, would you still be able to experience the biblical god or Jesus?
Yes.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It was the Dodge Scapegoat, huh?

Figures....
Actually, it was an Intrepid.

Like me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it was an Intrepid.
Like me.
Hey cool.

The USS Voyager was an Intrepid class starship.

:)
Largelanguage

Holywell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Rush wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, first day.
No, Nebraska GBR!
Actually, young love starts with being horney, and goes from there.
Obviously you must be pretty dumb to assume kids can fall in love. What gets me so angry is older people my age, or maybe older assuming that teenagers can fall in love.

And these same people in their late 50's or 60's also assume they were actually in love when they were kids. HA!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 156,441 - 156,460 of223,979
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr shinningelectr0n 1,078,384
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr Yeah but 305,065
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr FLORIDA SWAMPER 26,640
urgent loan needed apply now (Sep '13) Jul 20 Danny 2
loan needed (Dec '13) Jul 20 Danny 4
Hairston's bounceback game highlights big day f... Jul 16 Go go d 1
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) Jul 15 AnnCarter 8
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••