Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#162497 Mar 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>The media says they were bombs because they spent more money making them than they drew in at the box office, but I liked the stories they were based on. He wasn't terrible in The Postman. Ok?
Awwww....

It's so cute watching a budding romance.

;)

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#162498 Mar 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Heat is just energy with no where to go. Motion. Vibrating atoms for example. It bounces the space around. Temperature is just how hard it wants to get out of where it is stuck. If it has a material path, it will try to follow it, if not, it emits it as light.

The heat energy, shaky space, of your Big Bang was spread out and then combined to make material to channel it. Bunches of bubbles that combined.

By design.

It isn't just a bunch of numbers.
Or nothing like that.
LargeLanguage

Chester, UK

#162500 Mar 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
On Lunger?!?
Naaaaw. He's just a wee pest.
Not a real man, eh?
You're losing too much!
And ya gay, a bit sad you are!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#162501 Mar 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I have planet of math knowledge, just not calculus.
And I know it isn't spelled "maths".....
Actually, it *is* called 'maths' if you are British.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#162502 Mar 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Still cowering from my question I see. Surrender?
<quoted text>
Still cowering from my answer I see. Surrender?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162503 Mar 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it *is* called 'maths' if you are British.
Oh.

Sorry, Mac!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162504 Mar 26, 2013
LargeLanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a real man, eh?
You're losing too much!
And ya gay, a bit sad you are!
Ahahaha!!!

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

Since: Feb 08

...are my strong suits!

#162505 Mar 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So then we ain't worthy.
You cudda just said that...
Why would I have said that?

You were saying that we, today, are not worthy of knowledge discovered in the distant past... or of the one that discovered it.

I disagreed.

Someone living today in possession of knowledge more advanced than ours is a DIFFERENT argument... a complete one-eighty from the one above.

Pay attention to what you post, RR... and this'll go much easier for both of us.
Rush

Columbus, NE

#162506 Mar 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you know exactly how it works.....
Ummm, RR. I dont want to be a jerk here or anything, but......Well, I see,um, you said "it" and that is kinda, you know, my word, so, from now on, if you could not use "it" in all future posts, Yeah, that would be great. K? Thanks.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#162508 Mar 26, 2013
Hukt on Fonix wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I have said that?
You were saying that we, today, are not worthy of knowledge discovered in the distant past... or of the one that discovered it.
I disagreed.
Someone living today in possession of knowledge more advanced than ours is a DIFFERENT argument... a complete one-eighty from the one above.
Pay attention to what you post, RR... and this'll go much easier for both of us.
No man, I'm not saying that at all.

What I'm saying is that there doesn't appear to be anybody right now who is 1800 years ahead of our time.

If you disagree, then tell me who you think that is.

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#162509 Mar 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No man, I'm not saying that at all.
What I'm saying is that there doesn't appear to be anybody right now who is 1800 years ahead of our time.
If you disagree, then tell me who you think that is.
That isn't what you said.

I don't disagree with what you didn't say.

=)

“Spelin 'n' tpyin...”

...are my strong suits!

#162510 Mar 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, this isn't quite right. The crucial aspect isn't the delay in the re-emission. It is the *phase shift* between the absorbed photon and the emitted one. In most media, the phase shift depends on the frequency. It turns out that a phase shift is completely equivalent to saying the velocity is different. This is why in anomalous dispersion we get 'speeds' of photons being faster than light in a vaccum. The phase shift is opposite the usual one, so instead of being equivalent to a slower speed, we get a shift equivalent to a faster speed.
In this view, it actually happens that light *always* moves at c, but phase shifts make it *appear* that it moves faster or slower.
Hi, Poly.

Thank you.

My little run-down wasn't completely wrong, though... was it.? It was just incomplete?

Though the delay between absorption and emission isn't the crucial aspect... it is an aspect.(?)

Light's *apparent speed* varies across a medium composed of matter and empty space... as everything we consider as “something” consists of a lot of “nothing”... the speed through the empty space alone remains constant.

Isn't phase shift of a wave of given frequency still dependent upon what it travels into?

Is it okay that my “thinking” is derived from what happens as electrical current flows into a capacitor? Electrons accumulate on the negative plate and are pushed from the positive plate. Potential builds across the plates... but, only after current begins to flow through the device. Thus, current flow is said to lead voltage through a capacitor......

...... in the same way fluid flow “leads” pressure across a tank. Something must flow into the tank before pressure builds. It's the restriction of flow at the tank's exhaust that gives rise to pressure.

I know I'm mixing analogies in that I'm referring to two different *electrical* characteristics as they apply to an electrical device... namely current (electrical flow) and voltage (electrical pressure)... and not sticking with one or the other. Signal phase at the output of a composite circuit can appear to lead that at the input when scoping only current or voltage (ie: dual-trace oscilloscope).

I'm also comparing electrical flow to fluid flow... and trying to extend that to something more fundamental.

Could something *similar* be said for a photon when one encounters an atom?

Not super-specifically... but, just as a general “arm-chair” explanation?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#162511 Mar 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =714-Ioa4XQwXX
Now I think I'm gonna have to watch the Simpsons movie today!
I started watching the Simpsons when it first aired on TV. I've been a loyal fan ever since. I just like Family Guy a little bit better.
I Love that!!

I'm not as old as u so i started halfway or something, but i have seen the REALLY old ones and they just look so raw!

I watched 'In time', it was good, justin ain't that bad as i thought he would be. it was kinda like logan's run, tho!

Location hidden

#162512 Mar 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a ho, I have no favorite. ;)
Ok, there are a few I wouldn't mind giving face time to.
Christian Bale, Cillian, Russel Crowe (if he could regain his Romper Stomper look, meow!) and a couple others.
I bought the Slumdog CD but never watched it. Everybody says it sucks. I'll probably use it to scrape gum off my shoe next time I go to Walmart.
lol, it's hard to choose!!

u do mean cillian murphy, right?

u can keep Bale, i'm finished with him after 'dark knight rises'!!

We use to be so close before, do u know i went to batman's house a couple of times?? Very nice place!!
Imhotep

West Palm Beach, FL

#162513 Mar 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof? Do I have to price to you that Italian laws or Japanese laws don't matter to Americans or Canadians?
O_o
The rules in Leviticus were prescribed for the members of that tribe, they are considered a part of the covenant of God with the Jewish people.
Christians have never followed these laws, at least after their separation from the party of the Hebrews.
The same chapter in Leviticus also forbids eating shellfish, bacon cheeseburgers (meat and milk, meat of cloven animal), wearing mixed fabrics, and sowing 2 crops in one field. Christians do not follow these rules.....
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/1.html

(Chapters 1 - 9)
God's instructions for animal sacrifices

God gives detailed instructions for performing ritualistic animal sacrifices.

Such bloody rituals must be important to God, judging from the number of times that he repeats their instructions.

Indeed the entire first nine chapters of Leviticus can be summarized as follows: Get an animal, kill it, sprinkle the blood around, cut the dead animal into pieces, and burn it for a "sweet savor unto the Lord."

Does God desire animal sacrifices?
(1:3, 10) "Offer a male without blemish."
Only unblemished males are to be killed and offered to God. Females don't even make good burnt offerings.

(1:5) "Kill the bullock before the LORD ... bring the blood, and sprinkle the blood round about upon the altar."

(1:6) "Flay the burnt offering; cut it into pieces."

(1:8-9) "Lay ... the head, and the fat ... on the fire which is upon the altar: But his inwards and his legs ... burn all on the altar, to be a burnt sacrifice ... a sweet savour unto the LORD."

What's next... foreskins?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#162514 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
yh, yh, that's the one!
Yh, i'm defo gonna check hobbit coz i like lord of the rings!!
Gee, I read Lord of the Rings before you were born, but I don't think I have seen any of the movies. I really enjoyed the book though.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#162515 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!
Is it just me, Jack Nicholson really scares me. I just look at him and get scared!! He's a great actor, but i'm just sayin'!
He always sort of scared me too, but he is a great actor.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#162516 Mar 26, 2013
You never gave an answer except dodging the question.

Your cowering is amusing to watch as even now you are in desperation mode hoping to change the subject.

Keep proving me right.

So.. Yet again... What is your case that this so called god exists?

If you are unable to answer just surrender and I will accept your defeat.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Still cowering from my answer I see. Surrender?

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#162517 Mar 26, 2013
Clementia wrote:
I Love that!!
I'm not as old as u so i started halfway or something, but i have seen the REALLY old ones and they just look so raw!
I watched 'In time', it was good, justin ain't that bad as i thought he would be. it was kinda like logan's run, tho!
I just watched Dredd.

It was quite good.

Location hidden

#162518 Mar 26, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, I read Lord of the Rings before you were born, but I don't think I have seen any of the movies. I really enjoyed the book though.
O wise one, u have such ancient knowledge, i'm completely lost in its wonder!:-)

I've drunk too much water, sorry!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Portlandia 1,156,152
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Phil Donahue 307,105
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 28,488
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 11 hr Earthling-1 2,741
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 13 hr zubedaanur 693
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Fri best bet 2
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 Thu ivyawe 1
More from around the web