Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
154,241 - 154,260 of 226,145 Comments Last updated 43 min ago

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

[QUOTE who="*THOR*"]<quo ted text>
So if a car was traveling at 299,792,458 m/s and turned on its headlights would that light then be traveling twice that speed? Of would its lights never leave the bulb?
[/QUOTE]

Since you can't get a massive object (like the car) to move at the speed of light, the question is nonsense.

Now, if the car was going at 299,792,457 meters per second past you, you would see the light as moving at 1 meter per second away from the car and the car would see it as moving at 299,793,458 meters per second away from it.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Sorry, typo: 299,792,458 not 299,793,458.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

God is a self construct for them and this is demonstrated by their hatred of us and desire to attack. To them when we refuse to believe in God we are actually insulting them. And that's because subconsciously they know they created God and not the other way around.
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
You are persistent and reading the replies to you're posts is always entertaining.
My observation - atheist forums attract the most disturbed TrueBelievers™ and their posts are unintentionally hilarious, especially those containing scripture.
Few have the mental stamina to read the OT or NT.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems President Obama is speaking out in favor of Religion,
atheism not so much
Pres Obama might or might not have some belief in a 'higher power', but does he seriously believe that religion is a good thing, let alone believe in an Abrahamic god(s)? I don't think one can be sure. We can only accept what he says - that he is a Christian.

What if he spoke-up for atheism? It was only a few days ago that he felt confident enough to speak-out for gay rights...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/obam...
"President Obama made history today when he mentioned both the Stonewall uprising and gay and lesbian people being treated "like anyone else under the law" during his second inauguration speech."
and some argued that was a step too far. Atheists are even less acceptable than gays according to some US polls.

The USA is where the UK less than a century ago - if anyone was openly atheist, they could forget politics altogether. It might also seriously obstruct employment opportunities.

Atheists are well-used to having to speak as if we were believers. Many,(like me), were raised and forced by social convention to do conform. We were told to 'be respectful' of religious beliefs simply because religion was so prevalent and religionists so intolerant of their faith being openly questioned like any other subject.

Racist beliefs seemed as essentially incorrect to me as religious faith but I was allowed to speak-out freely against racism, not against religion - and that was only 40-odd years ago! This was because of outdated ideas like 'losing one's faith' and 'everyone is entitled to their beliefs'. People needed a reality check. Relinquishing superstitious beliefs in god(s) is liberating, not losing something, i.e.'(religious) faith'. Everyone might be entitled to their beliefs, but that tends to obscure the fact that one has no right to act in accordance with some of them.
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
God is a self construct for them and this is demonstrated by their hatred of us and desire to attack. To them when we refuse to believe in God we are actually insulting them. And that's because subconsciously they know they created God and not the other way around.
<quoted text>
Indeed

True Believers™ are loath to discuss where God came from, or what he was doing before the creation.

They refuse to give good answers for the many biblical inconsistencies or for the terrible injustices in the world, because they know that no such answers exist.

They merely answer with "there are things which we mere humans cannot fully understand" or "the Lord works in mysterious ways".

In the end, religion doesn't answer as many questions as it raises.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Thinking wrote:
To the nearest m/s.
<quoted text>
No, actually. That is exact because it is the current *definition* of the meter.
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

UNSUCCESSFUL POPE CANDIDATE BLAMES MEDIA

VATICAN CITY (The Borowitz Report)—This wasn’t how it was supposed to play out. For Cardinal Bonifacius Steuer, last night was supposed to be a time of celebration, when the Dutchman who had dreamed of being Pope ever since his boyhood days in Rotterdam would finally stand on the balcony at the Vatican, basking in the cheers of thousands of the euphoric faithful.

There are no cheers for Bonifacius Steuer today. Only empty silence, and time to reflect on what might have been.

“Look, I’m not going to lie to you,” Cardinal Steuer said, in his first interview since his bruising defeat.“It kills me not to be there, not to be in the Vatican doing what needs to be done.”

While Steuer said that he is “not going to get into that whole blame-game thing,” he sounded bitter when he spoke about the mainstream media.“People weren’t allowed to see me for who I was,” he said.“They made me look like I’m some rich, rich guy, when you know that I’m as poor as a church mouse.”

But what closed the deal for Pope Francis, Steuer believes, was his outreach to the poor, which the Dutchman calls a “failed policy of the past.”

“Look, if you go around saying,‘the poor this, the poor that,’ you’re going to get a lot of support from people who want free stuff,” he said.“Francis’s campaign, if you will, focussed on giving targeted groups a big gift.”

Reflecting on the two-day conclave that chose someone else, Steuer was philosophical:“We were on a roller coaster, exciting and thrilling, ups and downs. But the ride ends. And then you get off. And it’s not like, oh, can’t we be on a roller coaster the rest of our life? It’s like, no, the ride’s over.”

Steuer said it’s “too early” to talk about his future plans, but that he first intends to sit down with his closest advisers to reflect on what went wrong this time around.“I’m going to meet with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, and I’m going to be like,‘Come on, guys, don’t hold back,’” he said.

But even as he sounded an aggrieved note as he spoke about “the hand I was dealt,” Steuer seemed to reserve his harshest criticism for one person: himself.

“Look, at the end of the day, this is on me,” he said.“This was all about getting enough Catholic votes, and I didn’t get it done.”

;) LQTM

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I have an obligation to tell everything I know to those who can't understand it or will pervert it for their own gain?
You don't hand loaded guns to monkeys,
You don't understand what you know.
Weak excuse for doing nothing.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Mass increases with speed.
For something with any mass at all, as it approaches the speed of light, its mass approaches infinity.
Infinite mass is kind of a no no.
It's kind of hard to push, too.
That would require infinite energy.
Another no no.
How can mass increase with speed? Hocus pocus?
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Did he hurt your feelings?
No, he didn't.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
As speed increases, the amount of force required to accelerate further increases. The ratio between force and acceleration is mass.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
... LQTM
For oldies like me...
http://www.internetslang.com/list.asp...
:-)

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Alternatively, and equivalently, as speed increases, the kinetic energy increases, so the mass, m=E/c^2 increases.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

discocrisco wrote:
Atheism requires as much faith as religion
False.

Relateable analogy.....

Not believing in a 32nd dimensional fairy requires as much faith as believing in a 32nd dimensional fairy.

Case closed. Statement refuted. End of story.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh. Stars are mostly plasma and most visible matter is n stars. There are also large, high temperature plasma clouds between galaxies in clusters. Now, what is the density of that plasma and how much does it affect the motion of the light through it? Easy question. Answer: not very dense at all and not very much.
You can't spell. You're brain is a good representation of the damaged useless soul you are. Dyslexia?

According to your absurbity, clay, and calcium, and such exist in stars too.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, this is wrong. The mass of an electron is NOT from interaction with the Higg's particle. Nor, for that matter is the mass of an up or a down quark. The mass of most ordinary matter is from different symmetry breaking mechanisms.
<quoted text>
Classically, yes. But classical mechanics is wrong.
<quoted text>
There is a difference between getting lost and thinking you are a crank.
What the hell does symetry breaking mechanisms suggest with maths? More hocus pocus science fiction?
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Space has expanded between here and there, redshift tells us that.
So the source is moving farther and farther away.
We found the father away it has moved, the faster it is moving away.
So redshift is more pronounced the farther away the object is.
The farther away ,the faster it retreats away.
To the particle horizon , where everything has moved into infinite distance. But this phenomenon is thought to take place no matter what position you are in the universe.
So yes the light source is moving away , and is red shifted because of it.
We detect very dim light sources by cooling a mirror to near absolute zero and gathering the light from a point of direction.
It takes time but the light gathered shows us the very most distant galaxies.
But it could simply be changing shape quicker and quicker. It doesn't mean it is moving away further, cherrypicker.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> He is a very adapt and skilled mathematician, who is also at least 5 orders of magnitude educated beyond your petty squabbling ,wreaking of stupid protests.
You were talking when you should have been listening.
LOL. He distorted and confused the basics. He is no scientist. He proposed to be an expert when he never had experience as a scientist.

Why bow down to people? Because you come down below all with yourself? Is that why your children bow down to you when you spank them?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't spell. You're brain is a good representation of the damaged useless soul you are. Dyslexia?
No, just fast typing and failure to spell-check occasionally.
According to your absurbity, clay, and calcium, and such exist in stars too.
Well, calcium does exist in stars. Clay does not.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You swam into the tank with real knowledge, you will not be able to bull shit your way out Dave. So STFU, poly has demonstrated his ability.
Looking for someone to worship, belong to, and catch approval?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 26 min Grey Ghost 1,099,225
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Big Sky 305,434
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Bruin For Life 27,042
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Tue RICK SERVICE 29
offer Aug 23 Peter 1
Addition of Emmitt Holt is "Big" for Indiana Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
Ex-Hoosier Zeller embraces NBA learning Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••