Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159440 Mar 10, 2013
Law is odd like that.

In EU law, carrot was made an honorary fruit because although EU jam must not contain vegetables, Portuguese people incorporate carrots in jam.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism was deemed to be religion for the express purpose of allowing atheists to form study groups in prison.
I believe it was extended to include the military.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#159441 Mar 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You would think the gravitational force would, too, meaning the field it resided in.
I thought the nucleus had a lot to do with gravity per modern physics.
Something in flares , whether it is particle based or some unknown mechanism , influences radioactive decay rates.
In fact it is a adjustment to rates that had to be made.
The reason is beyond the scope of science atm, but poly most likely wrote the reason ,(particle bombardment). Other than that it can't really be called random or caused. As the causes are rather probabilistic than deterministic. Only deterministic that flares do cause, but this cause and any other is at frequencies that are probabilistic and beyond the scope of determination.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#159442 Mar 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Law is odd like that.
In EU law, carrot was made an honorary fruit because although EU jam must not contain vegetables, Portuguese people incorporate carrots in jam.
Meanwhile, back in the real world...
<quoted text>
What the courts have said is not that atheism is religion, but that atheism is entitled to First Amendment protection equivalent to the protection given to religion. It is only in that sense that the parallel has been made.

With a little intellectual dishonesty, these court holdings have been twisted by those with an agenda.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#159443 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I can give you a better analogy.
Let's say jesus came back today, and was accused, tried, convicted, and executed.
Would his followers now wear, on a necklace, instead of a cross, a syringe? Or a little gas chamber room? or a tiny chair with a little electric cord on it?
If he came back today there would be no accusing, trial, or punishment.

For him.

You come up with some stupid stuff.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159444 Mar 10, 2013
Venus in flares.

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Something in flares , whether it is particle based or some unknown mechanism , influences radioactive decay rates.
The reason is beyond the scope of science atm, but poly most likely wrote the reason ,(particle bombardment). Other than that it can't really be called random or caused. As the causes are rather probabilistic than deterministic. Only deterministic that flares do cause, but this cause and any other is at frequencies that are probabilistic and beyond the scope of determination.

Location hidden

#159445 Mar 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Something in flares , whether it is particle based or some unknown mechanism , influences radioactive decay rates.
Uncertainty and a host of factors seem to be at play.
Adherence to thermodynamics over an uncertain amount of time is the only sure thing that can be known.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#159446 Mar 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a fan of Chris Barber, Mr. Acker Bilk, and Monty Sunshine. British trad. They played it better than the home boys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =u2DfTs063GQXX
I can't play it on my iPad. Some vids are restricted on mobile devices, this is one of them. I don't know if the feud between Apple and YouTube is the reason or what. Don't own a PC at the moment. iPad and iPhone are all I have, and other than small snags like this, they're more than sufficient. Too bad, I'm open to hearing it.

Location hidden

#159447 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What the courts have said is not that atheism is religion, but that atheism is entitled to First Amendment protection equivalent to the protection given to religion. It is only in that sense that the parallel has been made.
With a little intellectual dishonesty, these court holdings have been twisted by those with an agenda.
It said that in "one persons mind" , so it is protected that way.
Whether it actually was in that persons mind is debatable, but the "court" defined it was . It's a loose definition, which means religion is nothing more than an importance "in the mind of the beholder".
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159448 Mar 10, 2013
That's the analogy I was trying to put forward: carrots are not fruit- but someone could quote a court record and say they were.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#159449 Mar 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a religious belief. It deals only with religion. It is a viewpoint of religion.

Location hidden

#159450 Mar 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Venus in flares.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =5tw4VNKXDhcXX
<quoted text>
Interesting something like dogwood but the colour of wisteria. Wisteria is a gargantuan survivor , like kudzu
it has a strong will for survival. But what was that tree? A Venus tree?

Location hidden

#159451 Mar 10, 2013
Japanese maple?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159453 Mar 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor Buckethead, he doesn't follow your musical doctrine. The boy is going to Hell for sure.
My musical doctrine?......ha ha ha, you've got to be kidding. Every time you try and pretend you know anything about music you implode, I just love it.

It's not MY doctrine it has to do with the history of the blues numbnuts. You can't have any kind of appreciation for an art form until you know the history. Blues got its origins from black slaves doing "call" and "response" out working in the fields. A 2 measure statement followed by a 2 measure answer. like "I've been working, sweatin all day"......(answer) "I've been working sweatin all day." 2 more bars of question and answer gets you 8 bars. then a 1 bar phrase and answer --"workin all day" (answer) "working all day" then another 1 bar phrase, followed by another. That a total of 12 bars. All blues are in this form unless its a hybrid form. Later the black musicians stole western or church harmonies to add to this form. They used the church cadences they heard I IV V I or C chord for 4 bars.... F chord for 4 bars......G chord for 2 bars.......and the cadence back to the C chord for 2 bars.

Isn't education a wonderful thing, so as you can see, It has nothing to do with MY doctrine but everything to do with the history of the art form.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159454 Mar 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Thanks for proving my point that atheists can only think of God as a human magician that's invisible.
FYI - You spelled invisible wrong.
Have you ever seen this God thing? If so please describe. If it's not in the image of a man, then what image is it in? If not magic then, can you describe the method by which this being created man, or anything else for that matter? If heaven is NOT up or in the sky, then where is it located?

You seem to go to great lengths to tell us what God ISN'T but nothing about what he is, why is that? Are you able to answer any of the 4 questions I posed? If you can't answer them then why can't you. This is a being you believe to be real, you shape your life around this being, and probably your children. You rely on him everyday, Christians will tell you they interact with him regularly, some will say they can't imagine living without him. For something this vital you should have some information about it, yes? I'm waiting!!!!!

Location hidden

#159455 Mar 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>My musical doctrine?......ha ha ha, you've got to be kidding. Every time you try and pretend you know anything about music you implode, I just love it.
It's not MY doctrine it has to do with the history of the blues numbnuts. You can't have any kind of appreciation for an art form until you know the history. Blues got its origins from black slaves doing "call" and "response" out working in the fields. A 2 measure statement followed by a 2 measure answer. like "I've been working, sweatin all day"......(answer) "I've been working sweatin all day." 2 more bars of question and answer gets you 8 bars. then a 1 bar phrase and answer --"workin all day" (answer) "working all day" then another 1 bar phrase, followed by another. That a total of 12 bars. All blues are in this form unless its a hybrid form. Later the black musicians stole western or church harmonies to add to this form. They used the church cadences they heard I IV V I or C chord for 4 bars.... F chord for 4 bars......G chord for 2 bars.......and the cadence back to the C chord for 2 bars.
Isn't education a wonderful thing, so as you can see, It has nothing to do with MY doctrine but everything to do with the history of the art form.
:-)

I don't need an education in it. If I like it, I listen to it.

I'll let the snobs argue about how it is formed.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159456 Mar 10, 2013
Oh you are touched in the head, just not by god.

Thank you thank you ladies and gentlemen I'll be here night tip your servers!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He did.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159457 Mar 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a fan of Chris Barber, Mr. Acker Bilk, and Monty Sunshine. British trad. They played it better than the home boys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =u2DfTs063GQXX
Mr. Acker Bilk??????????The guy that can't get a sound out of the clarinet. He is known among musicians as the worst clarinet player of all times. Get some musicians together and at least one of them will do an Acker Bilk impress that will drop everyone to their knees!!!!! Holy shit have you NO taste whatsoever? Have you ever heard a really good clarinet player? If you have and still think Acker Bilk is good, then your tone deaf. I think I've finally figured you out, you're a tone deaf musical illiterate. That of course would answer a myriad of questions.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#159458 Mar 10, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a religious belief. It deals only with religion. It is a viewpoint of religion.
If I don't believe in anything supernatural, I have no religious belief.

I can't be bothered with it. Not any more than I can be bothered by belief in witches, or hexes, or ghosts, or mirror-breaking bringing bad luck, or astrology.

No belief in any of that stuff.

If you call that a religious belief, you are being dishonest.

Or an idiot.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159459 Mar 10, 2013
Dude that would be bitching admit it!:))

But you make a good point Ronald Reagan's family don't wear necklaces with Alzheimer's on them do they? Dave wouldn't appreciate his family doing that I am sure.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I can give you a better analogy.
Let's say jesus came back today, and was accused, tried, convicted, and executed.
Would his followers now wear, on a necklace, instead of a cross, a syringe? Or a little gas chamber room? or a tiny chair with a little electric cord on it?

Location hidden

#159460 Mar 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Mr. Acker Bilk??????????The guy that can't get a sound out of the clarinet. He is known among musicians as the worst clarinet player of all times. Get some musicians together and at least one of them will do an Acker Bilk impress that will drop everyone to their knees!!!!! Holy shit have you NO taste whatsoever? Have you ever heard a really good clarinet player? If you have and still think Acker Bilk is good, then your tone deaf. I think I've finally figured you out, you're a tone deaf musical illiterate. That of course would answer a myriad of questions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Scrooge 1,153,431
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 24 min Pearl Jam 306,955
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 27 min FLORIDA SWAMPER 28,365
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 49 min Joe fortuna 201,154
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 hr Brian_G 2,661
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Tue Roy the Boy 685
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Dec 16 The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web