Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#159149 Mar 8, 2013
UPURMOMMASS wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think the ancient Greeks used degrees instead of radians?
Actually, the record here is varied. Some used the degrees derived from Babylonian sources. Others used what was essentially radian measures. Hipparchus, as I recall, used a radius for his standard circle so that angular masures came out nicely. Ptolemy used something closer to degrees.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#159150 Mar 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I have dyslexia. I know many in my ring that have dyslexia. Obviously your circular of friends aren't that intelligent.
That would explain your complete misunderstanding of a dyslexia brain.
A dyslexic man walks into a bra...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#159151 Mar 8, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
OK what atheist religious sect do I belong to?
What is the common ground of this atheist religion?
What is the doctrine of this religion?
Removal of all religion from public life and streets? Even though atheist are a tiny minority?

The proselytizing of atheism on public forums like this?

Oh, th ehate speech directed at the religious is also a good indication there is some belief in Topix atheist non-belief.

"Non-believers" are not proactive. They just don't believe, right?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#159152 Mar 8, 2013
<quoted text>OK what atheist religious sect do I belong to?

Posted else where by derek4

February 4, 2011

Church, without God

“Stan Bradley likes Bible stories, admires Martin Luther and uses expressions such as 'heavens, no.'

The Lithopolis man is president of a local congregation and rarely misses a Sunday service. Occasionally, he goes to his wife's church instead.

For these and other reasons, Bradley considers himself religious.”

He is also an atheist.

continued:

“Like Bradley, some atheists participate in organized religion for its social and psychological benefits.”

continued:

“Churches are great places to find friends, support and youth education, so nonbelievers and believers alike join congregations to fill those needs, he said.

He has spoken to elderly and sick people who can no longer go to church and they say they most miss the feeling of community.

Recent research from Harvard University and the University of Wisconsin backs him up. It found that religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people, not because of belief but because of the friendships found at church.”
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...

“religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people”[I have said this all along, and my posts are still on the board to confirm it. Now you hear it straight from the atheist, lol.]

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#159153 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Removal of all religion from public life and streets? Even though atheist are a tiny minority?
The proselytizing of atheism on public forums like this?
Oh, th ehate speech directed at the religious is also a good indication there is some belief in Topix atheist non-belief.
"Non-believers" are not proactive. They just don't believe, right?
What you stated makes atheism not a religion. So then atheism is not a religion.

Location hidden

#159154 Mar 8, 2013
<quoted text>OK what atheist religious sect do I belong to?

Posted earlier by derek4

The Atheist's Bible: An Illustrious Collection of Irreverent Thoughts [Hardcover]
Joan Konner (Author)
3.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (29 customer reviews)

List Price:$16.99
Price:$11.55 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
Deal Price:
You Save:$5.44 (32%)

Only 4 left in stock (more on the way).
http://www.amazon.com/The-Atheists-Bible-Illu...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#159155 Mar 8, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sand and water, Clementia.
That's all it takes to cut.
Sand, water and buoyancy, Clementia.
That's all it takes to raise heavy things.
Sand, water, buoyant material and a lot of slaves.
Yh, but slaves who were from a different planet!

Location hidden

#159156 Mar 8, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Ancient architects
Some of our most impressive structures are actually incredibly old and difficult to determine the precise dates they were built.
We still don't have a clue how the Great Pyramid of Giza was built, or its precise purpose. Despite what you may have heard, no mummy has ever been found in the Egyptian pyramids, they were all found in the Valley of the Kings. So the true meaning of the pyramids is actually a mystery.
As is the technology used and the matter of how multiple cultures in Africa, the Middle East and Central America all built pyramids around roughly the same time. The matter has had archeologists both professional and amateur alike scratching their heads and theorizing why and how this could have happened.
Why do we aspire to such grand heights? Ego perhaps.
In some cases we might not have much choice but to build upwards if the population grows very dense and land close to water and food is scarce.
We thrive in some of the most inhospitable places on the Earth, and always we build upwards.
There is no precise beginning for the history of architecture either. Our earliest buildings date from either the end of the last ice age or during the ice age, which was only 10 to 15 milleniums ago.
Likewise, there was no precise ending of the ice age. We presume it phased out slowly, but it could have changed quite quickly in a matter of decades or years. We really don't know.
That's exactly what i was tryin' to say!:-)

Location hidden

#159157 Mar 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We tend to frown on 20 year projects involving slave labor today.
lol!

I really don't believe the 20 years thing tho, it don't sound possible!

Location hidden

#159158 Mar 8, 2013
xyzupurmommass wrote:
<quoted text>6th of whole round pie = 60 degree . qUESTION HOW THEY MANAGE GET THOSE MANY LONG COLUMN UP AT RIGHT ANGLE , EQUI-DISTANCED APART AT A FAR DISTANCE , REMAIN A MYSTERY TOO TODAY
Plumb bob and sighting sticks. And big tripods and travois.

Dig your hole, drag your rock to where you drop the base, and then raise the end of the travois via the big tripods. The travois are much longer and give a mechanical advantage. You keep the rock base close to the back end of the travois.

When you drag a travois, or parallel logs, the friction is on the back ends. Not much surface area hitting the ground, and the wood shears off. Roller logs have to be the same exact diameter, and roght ground and pebbles play hell on them. You lose a lot of scarce wood in one short distance. You trashed all the logs.

Roman, and probably Greek, too, columns were made in small sections stacked on top of each other. Scaffolding and keeping it plumb as you went up.

Location hidden

#159159 Mar 8, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
We could easily build a pyramid today.
We could probably reproduce the pyramid at Giza in less than a year if we wanted to.
Without our modern technology? I'd love to see that!!

Location hidden

#159161 Mar 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What you stated makes atheism not a religion. So then atheism is not a religion.
Why are you proselytizing it? Along with scientism?

Atheists of the gaps.
xyzupurmommass

United States

#159163 Mar 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the record here is varied. Some used the degrees derived from Babylonian sources. Others used what was essentially radian measures. Hipparchus, as I recall, used a radius for his standard circle so that angular masures came out nicely. Ptolemy used something closer to degrees.
Sumerian astronomers introduced angle measure, using a division of circles into 360 degrees.[4] They and their successors the Babylonians studied the ratios of the sides of similar triangles and discovered some properties of these ratios, but did not turn that into a systematic method for finding sides and angles of triangles. The ancient Nubians used a similar method.[5] The ancient Greeks transformed trigonometry into an ordered science. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometry

And for radians ?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159164 Mar 8, 2013
Intelligent design proponet burps something in court. No reaason to read further, KJV is just humiliating himself again.
Langoliers wrote:
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent design proponent declared:

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#159165 Mar 8, 2013
XYZURMOMMAPASS wrote:
<quoted text>u're confusion is well noted.
diputs er'uoy desufnoc ton mi spil ym daer
xyzupurmommass

United States

#159166 Mar 8, 2013
History

The concept of radian measure, as opposed to the degree of an angle, is normally credited to Roger Cotes in 1714.[1] He had the radian in everything but name, and he recognized its naturalness as a unit of angular measure. The idea of measuring angles by the length of the arc was used already by other mathematicians. For example al-Kashi (c. 1400) used so-called diameter parts as units where one diameter part was 1/60 radian and they also used sexagesimal subunits of the diameter part.[2]

The term radian first appeared in print on 5 June 1873, in examination questions set by James Thomson (brother of Lord Kelvin) at Queen's College, Belfast. He used the term as early as 1871, while in 1869, Thomas Muir, then of the University of St Andrews,

vacillated between rad, radial and radian. In 1874, Muir adopted radian after a consultation with James Thomson.[3][4][5]

I think coined word "Radian goes way further back to Persian ... i could be wrong.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#159167 Mar 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a geniuses you are not.
Carry on...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#159168 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
You are one sharp cookie.
Uh, am I supposed to feel bad or chastised or something?

You are one strange cat Dave, you solicited for sex with underage boys in here before and. But now you want to talk down on gay.
You are as steady as a squiggly line on thinghys. Most folks call people like you "just plain crazy" , no passing go or collecting extra credits for explaining away gravity with a magnet.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#159169 Mar 8, 2013
So?

If he's just another id cu*t, he's not trustworthy.
Langoliers wrote:
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent designproponent declared:
The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#159170 Mar 8, 2013
Nice catch! Often I scroll past his insanity but wow! Just wow!

Enjoy this song with much win.

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Carry on...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RealDave 1,152,925
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 21 min Cpecker1313 306,948
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 1 hr Earthling-1 2,653
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Bruin Nation 28,351
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 19 hr Roy the Boy 685
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) 22 hr The Real Daniel S... 281
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon Shiv Shukla 201,147