Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
XYZURMOMMAPASS

United States

#159132 Mar 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Cue in the dizzylexic defense policy. he he heh
u're confusion is well noted.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#159133 Mar 8, 2013
XYZURMOMMAPASS wrote:
<quoted text>IN TRIG it is use of radians is more precise than ratios
Tell that to the ancients who built those places. I will guarantee not a one of them had college trigonometry, or high school for that matter.

Now they may have had something similar. Built on ratios.
XYZURMOMMAPASS

United States

#159134 Mar 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>People mistakenly consider composing while deaf some sort of miraculous feat, it's not. Composers already know what each instrument sounds like, they also know how they sound in different registers. They have spent a lot of time realizing what certain pairings of instruments sounds like. Trombones, cello, french horns, and Violas for example. Harmony and rhythms are internal. A good composer has all of the potential sounds well established in his mind. He KNOWS what the piece will sound like without hearing it. Unfortunate for Beethoven, but he had already heard his symphony well before it was performed. Actually it was probably a better experience for him as he heard it without flaw.
mozart is genuis , beethoven out classes.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#159135 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You would like to think so.
Marriage was only between men and women when the Constitution was written. Period. No expectation it would ever be anything else. Marriage laws are up to the individual states.
There is no Constitutional right to same sex marriage on the Federal level.
Just like gays, coming in the back door to get what they want. Even if they have to pervert the Constitution. Again, you would have to pervert the 14th amendment to even get a foot in the door on that one.
You may be in for a big surprise in the very near future, old timer.

It wasn't too long ago that the same argument was made about interracial marriage, old timer.

And don't think your use of the word "pervert" goes unnoticed, old timer.
UPURMOMMASS

United States

#159137 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to the ancients who built those places. I will guarantee not a one of them had college trigonometry, or high school for that matter.
Now they may have had something similar. Built on ratios.
Why do you think the ancient Greeks used degrees instead of radians?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#159138 Mar 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not asking.
Best answer that you could give, I suppose. Ignore the data and close your mind.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#159139 Mar 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly.......or maybe something like this....."Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my children who had to drown his own.?"
Yep!

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#159140 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You would like to think so.
Marriage was only between men and women when the Constitution was written. Period. No expectation it would ever be anything else. Marriage laws are up to the individual states.
There is no Constitutional right to same sex marriage on the Federal level.
Just like gays, coming in the back door to get what they want. Even if they have to pervert the Constitution. Again, you would have to pervert the 14th amendment to even get a foot in the door on that one.
Old timer, I forgot to mention one other detail.

Slavery existed when the Constitution was written, too.

And notice the comma after "written".

I also caught that "back door" reference too.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#159141 Mar 8, 2013
XYZURMOMMAPASS wrote:
<quoted text>mozart is genuis , beethoven out classes.
And Stravinski and Mahler put them both to shame!!!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#159143 Mar 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>You may be in for a big surprise in the very near future, old timer.

It wasn't too long ago that the same argument was made about interracial marriage, old timer.

And don't think your use of the word "pervert" goes unnoticed, old timer.
And Bill Clinton recommended repealing DOMA.

Westcliffe, CO

#159144 Mar 8, 2013
XYZURMOMMAPASS wrote:
a ratio is relationship between numbers of same kind .
Six foot is six times one foot. That is 6 to 1.

Assignment of "one" is arbitrary. One marks a quantity. All others mark ratios of that quantity. Calibrations.

Using a right angle, like I described earlier, gives you a reference point to achieve degrees, which are arbitrary divisions. You could mark off lengths and get and angle. Can't remember exactly, but I think it was 4 on one leg and 7 on the other to get a 60 degree angle. There are a variety of methods to get the same results.

Sighting sticks, just a stick in the ground off in the distance you want to make a straight line toward, a measure stick or rope, and that plumb bob level is all you really need. How you record the method to progress was up to the builders. Put a stick in the ground, face the sun on a certain date and time, or know the ratios of declination for the date you do it, and you can make a baseline to work from. Say how far from the top of a straight measured stick stuck in the ground to it's shadow tip at high noon. Easier to form it on the North Star. If available.

Westcliffe, CO

#159145 Mar 8, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Old timer, I forgot to mention one other detail.
Slavery existed when the Constitution was written, too.
And notice the comma after "written".
I also caught that "back door" reference too.
Wow!

You are one sharp cookie.

Uh, am I supposed to feel bad or chastised or something?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#159146 Mar 8, 2013
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent designproponent declared:

The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#159147 Mar 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
John Calvert, a lawyer and intelligent designproponent declared:
The Seventh Judicial Circuit of the Court of Appeals of the United States held that ATHEISM IS A RELIGION. Therefore, it cannot be promoted by a public school. Currently, public schools are often unwittingly promoting atheism through a dogmatic and uncritical teaching of materialistic theories of origins.
OK what atheist religious sect do I belong to?

What is the common ground of this atheist religion?

What is the doctrine of this religion?
xyzupurmommass

United States

#159148 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Six foot is six times one foot. That is 6 to 1.
Assignment of "one" is arbitrary. One marks a quantity. All others mark ratios of that quantity. Calibrations.
Using a right angle, like I described earlier, gives you a reference point to achieve degrees, which are arbitrary divisions. You could mark off lengths and get and angle. Can't remember exactly, but I think it was 4 on one leg and 7 on the other to get a 60 degree angle. There are a variety of methods to get the same results.
Sighting sticks, just a stick in the ground off in the distance you want to make a straight line toward, a measure stick or rope, and that plumb bob level is all you really need. How you record the method to progress was up to the builders. Put a stick in the ground, face the sun on a certain date and time, or know the ratios of declination for the date you do it, and you can make a baseline to work from. Say how far from the top of a straight measured stick stuck in the ground to it's shadow tip at high noon. Easier to form it on the North Star. If available.
6th of whole round pie = 60 degree . qUESTION HOW THEY MANAGE GET THOSE MANY LONG COLUMN UP AT RIGHT ANGLE , EQUI-DISTANCED APART AT A FAR DISTANCE , REMAIN A MYSTERY TOO TODAY

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#159149 Mar 8, 2013
UPURMOMMASS wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think the ancient Greeks used degrees instead of radians?
Actually, the record here is varied. Some used the degrees derived from Babylonian sources. Others used what was essentially radian measures. Hipparchus, as I recall, used a radius for his standard circle so that angular masures came out nicely. Ptolemy used something closer to degrees.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#159150 Mar 8, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I have dyslexia. I know many in my ring that have dyslexia. Obviously your circular of friends aren't that intelligent.
That would explain your complete misunderstanding of a dyslexia brain.
A dyslexic man walks into a bra...

Westcliffe, CO

#159151 Mar 8, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
OK what atheist religious sect do I belong to?
Removal of all religion from public life and streets? Even though atheist are a tiny minority?

The proselytizing of atheism on public forums like this?

Oh, th ehate speech directed at the religious is also a good indication there is some belief in Topix atheist non-belief.

"Non-believers" are not proactive. They just don't believe, right?

Location hidden

#159152 Mar 8, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>OK what atheist religious sect do I belong to?

Posted else where by derek4

February 4, 2011

Church, without God

“Stan Bradley likes Bible stories, admires Martin Luther and uses expressions such as 'heavens, no.'

The Lithopolis man is president of a local congregation and rarely misses a Sunday service. Occasionally, he goes to his wife's church instead.

For these and other reasons, Bradley considers himself religious.”

He is also an atheist.

continued:

“Like Bradley, some atheists participate in organized religion for its social and psychological benefits.”

continued:

“Churches are great places to find friends, support and youth education, so nonbelievers and believers alike join congregations to fill those needs, he said.

He has spoken to elderly and sick people who can no longer go to church and they say they most miss the feeling of community.

Recent research from Harvard University and the University of Wisconsin backs him up. It found that religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people, not because of belief but because of the friendships found at church.”
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...

“religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people”[I have said this all along, and my posts are still on the board to confirm it. Now you hear it straight from the atheist, lol.]

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#159153 Mar 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Removal of all religion from public life and streets? Even though atheist are a tiny minority?
The proselytizing of atheism on public forums like this?
Oh, th ehate speech directed at the religious is also a good indication there is some belief in Topix atheist non-belief.
"Non-believers" are not proactive. They just don't believe, right?
What you stated makes atheism not a religion. So then atheism is not a religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min smfh 1,173,271
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 1 hr Quantummist 3,136
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr ChickBrilliance 307,978
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Brew In 28,715
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Tue Pinoyboyguy 734
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (Jun '13) Jan 24 RICK SERVICE 32
San Diego State hoping Dwayne Polee II gets a shot Jan 23 alanparkcity 1
More from around the web