Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#236425 Sep 8, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
lol!!! can anyone say "frigid"?!;-)
And you think that because I do not like chauvinist morons and I have no tolerance for liars and deliberate ignorance and that because I donít want dick heads like you PMing me with the trivial prattle that seems to facilitate your masturbation that I am frigid?
How strange and delusional you tiny self cantered world is.

“Be strong ...”

Location hidden

#236426 Sep 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Girls, girls, this confusion of yours is why Paul wrote women should be silent in the Church.
1. Once again, you ignore that Christians are not under the Law.
2. But more importantly, you are avoiding the issue that only Muslims are doing such things. That fact exposes only your bigotry.
Smile.
Sexist moron.

This Paul guy, the same one called Saulus, he who helped capture that terrorist named yeshua ben pantera.

So is that how yoy thought you would get away with groping female parishioners? You thought they would be quiet while you were sticking you smelly fingers where they were not wanted in the house of god. You really thought you had the protection of your lord to be a pervert?

All human beings who expect law are subject to the law. Those who donít expect law usuaklly wind up in gaol anyway because the law expects them. Perhaps the reason why pro-rata, there are far more christians in nick compared to say atheists. Maybe they though well god is on my side so the law donít matter... oops

Wrong, IRA, NLFT, Ratko Mladic, Lords resistance army, Iron guard, Anders Behring Breivik, anti abortionists, KKK. You want more?

Adam Lanza, James Holmes. Wisconsin Sikh Temple massacre, The Centennial Olympic Park bombing, Planned Parenthood bombing

You want more...

You ignorance exposes your stupidity

“Be strong ...”

Location hidden

#236427 Sep 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing in our Bible comes as close as ridiculous tale as a four legged hoofed animals turning into a whale outfitted with a sophisticated sonar system.
I mean even the Cinderella Story is more believable.
But you freaking Atheist will believe just about any pseudo tale from science.
It may seem ridiculous to the hard of thinking but evidence usually tends to have the swing vote.

As opposed to, for example...

God dunitwiv magic out of nothing... read the babble

Light before sun?

Plants growing without light?

Talking snakes and donkeys

World wide genocide by flooding

Man walking on water

Man returning from death

The bodies (zombies) of dead saints arise and go in force in the city.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#236428 Sep 8, 2014
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Please share with us...who did you help, what did you share, what did you give and what did you learn today?
An elderly couple (Curt & Vi). The husband has Parkinson's disease.

Brought blankets for a street ministry.

$300.

Ephesians 1:1-14

You?

Smile.

Location hidden

#236429 Sep 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sexist moron.
This Paul guy, the same one called Saulus, he who helped capture that terrorist named yeshua ben pantera.
Hitler's evil was because he was a Christian, now Jesus was a terrorist???

Honey, you are a special kind of Blonde...

SMirk.

Location hidden

#236430 Sep 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It may seem ridiculous to the hard of thinking but evidence usually tends to have the swing vote.
As opposed to, for example...
God dunitwiv magic out of nothing... read the babble
Um, Blondie, Genesis 1:1 is the big bang science just discovered.

How did the Bible beat science by THOUSANDS of years?

Watch the Queen of 'rational atheist' oxymorons run dumbfounded, flailing and ranting idiocy now.

Smile.
skeptic

Singapore, Singapore

#236431 Sep 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, thereís lots of hypocrites and fakes in religion. Thereís no denying that.
But for everything that is real thereís always something that is fake.
For example: Thereís real Rolex watches but thereís also lots of fake oneís. So how do you know the difference? By studying the oneís that are real. Just because there are fakes doesnít mean the real ones don't exist.
Agreed.But human beings have brains and hearts,rolex watches don't.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#236432 Sep 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, thereís lots of hypocrites and fakes in religion. Thereís no denying that.
But for everything that is real thereís always something that is fake.
For example: Thereís real Rolex watches but thereís also lots of fake oneís. So how do you know the difference? By studying the oneís that are real. Just because there are fakes doesnít mean the real ones don't exist.
It's easy to tell the difference between real diamonds and cheap glass trinkets. How do u do that with religion?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#236433 Sep 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it that you are ďnotĒ denying that the prescribed low fat diet in the Bible had and still has healthily heart benefits.
Resulting in lower triglycerides and lower cholesterol levels for those who did abide by itís recommendations for millenniums.
The Bible, the old ancient book as you called it was on the forefront of heart disease prevention thousands of years ago and it has remained current since.
It hasnít been until the last 30 years medical science has caught up with it and reaffirmed what the Bible has been saying all along for ages.
That fatty foods are extremely unhealthy for your cardio pulmonary system. That old ancient book was right about its diet guidelines and it still is.
Now this is just one example Iím using. There are many others such as quarantines for disease outbreak containment such as we are seeing with the Ebola virus.
Quarantines were used in the Bible Nightserf. We are still using quarantines today. The use of quarantines was relevant then in biblical times and itís relevant in todayís modern science. Itís not an outdated practice.
That old ancient book was right before science was around to confirm it.
Finding a few things that seem right in the Bible does not change my view that it is fundamentally flawed. Nor are its flaws central to my skepticism. Frankly, untangling the web of bullshit in your post is simply not worth my time. Sorry.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#236434 Sep 8, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Supply your source for that claim.
I'm not going to tear apart every claim you make, just because you make the claim without some sort of effort on your part to support the claim.

The common term is "primordial soup", and there is some supporting evidence in regards to that hypothesis. My position is; I'm curious to see what develops in the upcoming years with the way all science is rapidly advancing in present times.

If you have any supporting evidence to substantiate any of the deity/creator hypothesis' held by all theists or yourself, please, provide them.
A) I actually , heard this on the radio but the speaker asserted go to the CDC website , they have the statistics ; young men ages 15 to 30 contracting the AIDS virus in large numbers , Syphilis a disease almost eradicated if not for the homosexual , rectal prolaspe caused by anal penetration ...

B) ooze and soup are probably interchangeable , but the sacred authors asserts we were formed from the clay of the earth ...that's , a pretty good damn guess .

C) The Atheist believes in too many coincidences having gone right by accident , Sorry "scaritual" but I'm a rational person .. Coincidence , after coincidence , after coincidence ...Seriously...?!
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#236435 Sep 8, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Finding a few things that seem right in the Bible does not change my view that it is fundamentally flawed. Nor are its flaws central to my skepticism. Frankly, untangling the web of bullshit in your post is simply not worth my time. Sorry.
So , most likely you abhor Scripture because of its prevalent immorality ....Hmmm.

And , from where does your moral objectivity come from ...?

“Be strong ...”

Location hidden

#236436 Sep 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler's evil was because he was a Christian, now Jesus was a terrorist???
Honey, you are a special kind of Blonde...
SMirk.
There is more physical evidence that the late JC was a terrorist than there is that he was a good guy.

Itís all down to the evidence, not the guesswork you call faith.

Honey, you are an ignorant moron type of christian

“Be strong ...”

Location hidden

#236437 Sep 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, Blondie, Genesis 1:1 is the big bang science just discovered.
How did the Bible beat science by THOUSANDS of years?
Watch the Queen of 'rational atheist' oxymorons run dumbfounded, flailing and ranting idiocy now.
Smile.
Please show any valid links to validate your statement

Watch the morononic godbot imbecile flounder in complete ignorance of what actually constituted a valid link

Location hidden

#236439 Sep 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more physical evidence that the late JC was a terrorist than there is that he was a good guy.
Itís all down to the evidence, not the guesswork you call faith.
Honey, you are an ignorant moron type of christian
I know your atheist faith tells you that. Just like you REALLY want to believe it wasn't godless atheism that motivated Hitler.

You go Blondie!!

Wink, wink.

Snicker smile.

Location hidden

#236440 Sep 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Please show any valid links to validate your statement
Watch the morononic godbot imbecile flounder in complete ignorance of what actually constituted a valid link
I already did Queen Blondie!

Genesis 1:1

Smile.

“Be strong ...”

Location hidden

#236441 Sep 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I know your atheist faith tells you that. Just like you REALLY want to believe it wasn't godless atheism that motivated Hitler.
You go Blondie!!
Wink, wink.
Snicker smile.
What is an atheist faith? It is a bit like not collecting stamps is a hobby?

No need to want to believe, his faith is well documented as were the reasons for his atrocities which is why you want to deny the facts of Hitlerís christianity. The facts that are repeated throughout history and taught in the babble

You really have no understanding of the meaning of the word atheism, whether that is deliberate or just natural ignorance I just donít know nor do I care.

Tell me, were you just as bigoted and racist while you were fondling your parishioners?

“Be strong ...”

Location hidden

#236442 Sep 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I already did Queen Blondie!
Genesis 1:1
Smile.
Ahh right the babble and the babble is a scientific document because the babble is right and you believe the babble is right because you have been told the babble is right Ė right?

However I did say VALID

And genesis 1:1 has no bearing on scientific understanding. In fact it is just a load of bronze age mumbo jumbo based on ignorance and the belief in god magic driven by hashish partiers around a desert camp fire.

First, heavens? What heavens? How many? Where?

Second, from what?

Third, nothing into nothing? Wow go figure... look up the word void

Fourth. Waters? The pre atomic plasma was far too hot for water to exist, quanta could not even exist let alone hydrogen atoms and oxygen did not occur for hundreds of thousands of years... i.e. no water

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#236443 Sep 8, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry , to burst your bubble but Cosmology wasn't really as advanced back then , as it is today ...and , errors in this regard must be attributed to the sacred author .. not God .
I have to point out, again, you've offered no evidence concerning that "god". It still falls into the myth category.

A worshiper of Ba'al, Quetzacoatl, Grandmother Spider, Apollo or PANGU etc..., could make similar assertions and they are as equally as valid as yours.

That extends to the polytheist, deist, pantheist, henotheist and other variations within theistic practices. Each have their supported by faith alone belief-set, and no one can claim more validity than another. They are equal in that respect.
My point being , Genesis asserts the creation of the Cosmos , was instantaneous ..
See above.

You, in some way, need to support your assertion, I don't mind the discussion if you can't, but at the same time, you should, at the least , give me a reasoning as to why I should consider your mythology as "more possible" or likely to represent a reality, and discount all other claims as being - absolutely - untenable, or impossible.
( something prior to BB ) Mayhaps , but from my education ..not , even time existed ...something , which theorist should be readily able to explain ..it is 2014 .. you know .
Are guesses acceptable? Sure, but they do not warrant a belief or confident conclusion based upon available evidence or fact.

Science doesn't simply force a particular conclusion or hypothesis and then look for evidence that will support that hypothesis.

Lemme clarify.

*a posteriori* conclusions are subservient to the data; data is not subservient to conclusions. The conclusion is reached after the data or facts have been observed. Only data or fact that can be verified are utilized in the conclusion. <<<=== The scientific method, in a nutshell.

*a priori* conclusions are subservient to the conclusion; data is subservient to the conclusion. The conclusion is made, then the data or facts are observed. The facts or data are rejected or accepted based on the conclusion. <<<=== Religious methodology, in a nutshell.
Sure , Science is fluid , dynamic ...and , if I may add , up to debate .......So , long as you do not question ' natural selection '....Now , Science has dogma ...curious ..?
You should clarify a bit further. Are you referring to evolution or naturalism? Be specific.
As , for your other points ..I must need to revisit them ....WOW..you are pretty awesome , the time you took to attack my positions ....Thank-You .."scaritual"
I'm not awesome or anything like that. I'm just myself. I try to approach these discussions as if this is face to face. That rarely happens. I can push and shove, give and take just as much as the other person wants.

Location hidden

#236444 Sep 8, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>A) I actually , heard this on the radio but the speaker asserted go to the CDC website , they have the statistics ; young men ages 15 to 30 contracting the AIDS virus in large numbers , Syphilis a disease almost eradicated if not for the homosexual , rectal prolaspe caused by anal penetration ...
B) ooze and soup are probably interchangeable , but the sacred authors asserts we were formed from the clay of the earth ...that's , a pretty good damn guess .
C) The Atheist believes in too many coincidences having gone right by accident , Sorry "scaritual" but I'm a rational person .. Coincidence , after coincidence , after coincidence ...Seriously...?!
Okay, I see.

If you don't want to take the time to provide links or data supporting your position, I'm not going to provide it for you.

"heard this on the radio"

You just want to make declarations and claims with no supporting evidence or substantiation.

It was good talking to you.

Later.

Location hidden

#236445 Sep 8, 2014
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, agreed.

I've read the Bible a few times - 3Ĺ times to be exact - the Apocrypha, and other religious books. Where some may see a useful guideline, for myself when considering that, it comes to mind that we have a far better understanding of the inner workings of the mind and body within today's medical and psychological sciences. Modern stories are better too, in general.

Modern methods and knowledge also avoid the cult like tendencies man will draw from religious text. I don't see a way to utilize those sorts of religious books without zealots emerging from the pages.

Those pages originate from bigoted - racist -misogynistic - warlike tribal societies, which, embodies all of the classic conspiracy mindsets we see just about everywhere today, and since it comprises the predominant religions in the world we shouldn't be surprised.

The stories contain tidbits of wisdom that you can find in mythology and lore found in all cultures. It's not uncommon for mans nature to be highlighted in fiction, or non fiction too, past or present.

The problem is the majority of adherents see its holy book as the divine word of a god, IE; the Torah, Bible, Quran, KitŠb-i-Aqdas, not as a collection of insights solely, but as an imperative from a god who is gonna be pissed if the adherents don't spread it.

The Abrahamic collective: Christianity, Islam ... OK, Judaism is small. BahŠ'Ū is even smaller, but Dan Seals from Seals&Croft was a member so I mention it.

So really, just two, Christianity and Islam. Something radically changed with those two. Violently so.

Lets take that classic and well reasoned Commandment "Thou shalt not kill". Good stuff. Psychologically and morally sound. Yet the bible contradicts itself, even concerning that "law".

Anyway, in Deuteronomy 21:18-21, is this:

18 "If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: 19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; 20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. 21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear." - Deuteronomy 21:18-21

I'm glad I didn't grow up then and there.

The lesson might be exactly what it says, listen to your parents or they'll ask others to stone you to death, and you'll be an example for future disobedient generations to come.

Maybe its a stealthy way of admonishing parents that we should expect and allow for "Junior" to grow and develop, and that you can't make anyone not do something if they are determined to do it, short of killing them or getting a mob to kill them, in turn spreading the guilt around.

Whatever the message, it doesn't reflect the sound advice in that "Commandment".

There are better methods and motivations today in the way we approach ourselves regarding morals, mental health and society, and improving that. I'm not inclined to think a better way is based in the dreams of prophets, musings of goat herders, or the alleged ramblings of a former carpenter who became a fisherman, etc...

It's time to move beyond "cherishing" and worshiping ancient texts and mythic figures simply because "that's the way it's always been done around here".

That's nothing more than stoic dogmatism because you were taught to believe something and must believe it because it is now your belief.

That's crazy sauce,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Jacques Ottawa 1,762,984
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 18 min Monday Blues 341,390
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Brew In 35,957
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) May 19 hojo 12,405
News Carlisle's Fitzgerald signs to play at Norfolk ... May 16 Go phartse 4
News PBA: Columbian parades new import vs Aces May 4 AndPhartse 2
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mar '18 Lonnie Peters 201,480